No entry to Switzerland on green card

That's because if Switzerland allowed GC to enter Switzerland without a visa, they would be able to travel anywhere in the Schengen area without a visa as well. Since Schengen nations don't allow GC holders to travel without a visa, Switzerland had no choice but to scrap it. I'm sure, however, that a visa will be issued without a problem.

Though the Schengen region is supposed to have a uniform visa policy, Germany allows RTD holders visa-free access. Yet, RTD holders are NOT allowed to leave Germany and go to other Schengen countries without a visa.

How do they enforce that?

They can't, really. Unless you exit the Schengen area through some country other than Germany. In that case, it is my understanding that a visa will not be issued or it will be very difficult to get.

I once drove across the German/Swiss border in the late 90s. Upon getting to the Swiss booth, I rolled down my window. I was expecting a passport check but the only thing the border official said, "Sir, I just wanted to let you know that there are speed limits in Switzerland".

They also sometimes do random spot-checks when crossing the border, at least by land.

Provided you will enter Switzerland first or spend more time there than any other Schengen state.

My knowledge is about 10 years old. I once visited Europe Schengian zone. I got my visa from German consulate but both my point of entry and point of exit were 2 different countries other than Germany. I even asked visa officer when I picked up passport form German consulate about it and she told me I can get in and get out any where in the Schengian zone. Again my knowledge is about 10 years old and things might have changed by now.

Any Schengen state may issue the visa. However just to share the load around, they advocate that you apply at the consulate of either your first entry point, or where you intend to spend most time. Some applicants shop around to find an "easy" consulate. Fact is, a visa is only issued after a common database (maintained by all Schengen members) of undesireable visitors is consulted.

Again my knowledge is about 10 years old and things might have changed by now.

That's because if Switzerland allowed GC to enter Switzerland without a visa, they would be able to travel anywhere in the Schengen area without a visa as well. Since Schengen nations don't allow GC holders to travel without a visa, Switzerland had no choice but to scrap it. I'm sure, however, that a visa will be issued without a problem.

Yeah that was a nice exception, it was so easy to take a nice spur of the moment European vacation by flying to Zurich or Geneva and enjoying it. In fact I accidentally took a wrong turn out of Basel airport and ended up in France, I asked someone which country I was in and they said France. I got scared and drove back exactly the way I came.

But I guess the potential was there for people who take risks to travel around. I don't recommend it though as in Italy (I had a valid Schengen Visa) two armed officers came to me in line at the airport and asked to see my passport. That's not the time you want to be caught without a valid visa.

If what you say is true then even better since Switzerland will become the "go-to" place for Schengen Visas. Since they want you to show that you'll be arriving in that country or spending the most time there. It's a great way to boost tourism.