niagara falls..american side...any expirience??

guacho

Registered Users (C)
I'm am planning to go to the niagara falls with a couple of friends who are out of status, I'm afraid since I once heard about somebody that ended up in the canadian side and could not return...
is it safe to go to the niagara falls and just stay in the amercian side whitout any problems??....any expirience ??

Guacho.

guacho said:
I'm am planning to go to the niagara falls with a couple of friends who are out of status, I'm afraid since I once heard about somebody that ended up in the canadian side and could not return...
is it safe to go to the niagara falls and just stay in the amercian side whitout any problems??....any expirience ??

Guacho.

Out of status? I would avoid the borders like plagues!!!!!!

If out of status, they won't let you back in. Canadian side, Niagara falls is beautifull.

Hold on! Now, I am a little confused. I am going to Niagara Falls in one month. I am a green card holder, but my friend doesn't have any documentation. We are going on the American side. Do you think she would have any problems?

ledona_19 said:
Hold on! Now, I am a little confused. I am going to Niagara Falls in one month. I am a green card holder, but my friend doesn't have any documentation. We are going on the American side. Do you think she would have any problems?

Ledona:
I dont think you can not end up in the canadian side by mistake, and unlike the southern border, there are no random border patrol road blocks. But they are not invisible, either.

There are clear signs identifiying the crossings. If you get close to a crossing, and then make an abrupt U-turn, you will draw attention, and that can be bad.

But this is only my opinion--there is always some risk. You and your friend have to decide for yourselves.

Floyd

Yes like what floyd has said the border has clear signs but if your friends stay on the american side they should be fine.

ledona_19 said:

we are in the same situation, my friends are out of status........I would rather don't go but some people say as long as you stay in the american side there shouldn't be any problem.

Guacho

guacho said:
we are in the same situation, my friends are out of status........I would rather don't go but some people say as long as you stay in the american side there shouldn't be any problem.

Guacho

You cannot be sure that you are on the American side. People have mistakenly crossed into the Canadian side and are then denied reentry. Every now and then something like this makes the newspapers.

Moreover if there is an "incident" while you are there they will check everybody's ID even if you are on the U.S. side. It could be as simple as a robbery.

I do not really understand why someone who is out of status would do something like this.

I have been to canada multiple times and only if you are deaf, dumb and mute, you would cross to canadian side without knowing.

American Falls are marked clearly and so is the canadian border and american border. It is written in BIG LETTERS that Canadian Border is upcoming or American Border is Upcoming. Also American Falls and Canadian falls have a bridge that separates them...

so yes you can go and enjoy the american side. STay at the holiday inn on the american side and falls are withing walking distance.

wantmygcnow said:
I have been to canada multiple times and only if you are deaf, dumb and mute, you would cross to canadian side without knowing.

American Falls are marked clearly and so is the canadian border and american border. It is written in BIG LETTERS that Canadian Border is upcoming or American Border is Upcoming. Also American Falls and Canadian falls have a bridge that separates them...

so yes you can go and enjoy the american side. STay at the holiday inn on the american side and falls are withing walking distance.

Not so fast, your royal highness.

Four years ago a group of local high school students visited Niagara Falls and they somewhat entered Canada. They were put into deportation by the DHS.

These kids were not "deaf, dumb and mute." They were honors students.

So do some research before making categorical statements.

formerasylee said:

Four years ago a group of local high school students visited Niagara Falls and they somewhat entered Canada. They were put into deportation by the DHS.

Blah blah blah blah blah..My servant, If you also post something put some proof...before making these "categorical" statements that people were deported...LIke I said blah blah blah blah.

Last edited by a moderator:
wantmygcnow said:
Blah blah blah blah blah..My servant, If you also post something put some proof...before making these "categorical" statements that people were deported...LIke I said blah blah blah blah.

deported does not equal put into deportation proceedings my dear lord

formerasylee said:

The students DID NOT cross into Canada by mistake--they did not cross the border at all.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/wireStory?id=967145
http://makedemocracywork.org/archives/2005/07/15/facing-deportation-through-no-fault-of-his-own/

They wanted to go to the Canadian side, so their teacher asked US Immigration if they will be allowed to return using only their student ID. At this point Immigration questioned them and checked their background, and found out 4 were illigal immigrants.

BTW, the case is still going on.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4969880

Floyd

floyd said:
The students DID NOT cross into Canada by mistake--they did not cross the border at all.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/wireStory?id=967145
http://makedemocracywork.org/archives/2005/07/15/facing-deportation-through-no-fault-of-his-own/

They wanted to go to the Canadian side, so their teacher asked US Immigration if they will be allowed to return using only their student ID. At this point Immigration questioned them and checked their background, and found out 4 were illigal immigrants.

BTW, the case is still going on.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4969880

Floyd

That is different. I am not from AZ. I am on the east coast. I am on my way out for a vacation when I come back I will upload the newspaper stories.

formerasylee said:
That is different. I am not from AZ. I am on the east coast. I am on my way out for a vacation when I come back I will upload the newspaper stories.

What does "i am not from arizona" has to do with this issue????????????????????????????????????????????

Ok guys thats it!! There is no benefit in firing back at each other.

I have personally visited both northern and soutern border. There are more clear markings on northern border that you are about to enter Canada. And reason is that its a developed country like US and they have more definite controls over who is entering into their country.

But things are different at Mexican side. The controls seem to exist only one way i.e. entering into US. AS a matter of fact even at some major points, you could be driving and if you are not careful, you will find yourself in mexico and if you don't have documents etc. you would be in heck of trouble. But surely this is not the case at Canada. You cannot accidently enter Canada without realizing. (except maybe from jungles of Montana etc)

I was in the Niagara Falls last week... I drove all over the Canadian side... like the previous posting, you will not be able to pass to the other side without passing customs... there are no way to accidently pass the border without realizing... unless you go hiking in the mountains...trough places that there are no roads...

well,
i was planing to go there tomorrow but we had to cancel because two of friends have no documents and we had called the agency which would take us there(bus tour to Niagara falls) said that my friends might have problems because officers there randomly ask for state IDs if you have one no problems if not you get arrested.Sorry to tell you this, we had to cancel our trip there.

ok guys, i am planning to go niagara falls canada tru buffalo/ny. i heard from some friends that we need passport + green card now is it true? i have greencard but my RTD has expired.