Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Me and my wife we did our FP on Jan 3rd, 2011 . We both got the YL last week of January. Day before yesterday (Feb 23rd) my wife status changed to "Interview and Testing" but no status change for my case. I sent our application separately few days apart (end of november 2010). I got my FP notice and YL first.

So not sure if they work off a queue or whats the criteria to transfer the case for testing and interview. As my wife case is transferred first.

rajiv_ksharma,

Did both of you do FP the same day? Trying to understand if your FP dates had anything to do with the order in which your interview dates were processed.

Me and my wife we did our FP on Jan 3rd, 2011 . We both got the YL last week of January. Day before yesterday (Feb 23rd) my wife status changed to "Interview and Testing" but no status change for my case. I sent our application separately few days apart (end of november 2010). I got my FP notice and YL first.

So not sure if they work off a queue or whats the criteria to transfer the case for testing and interview. As my wife case is transferred first.

Yes, me and my wife we both did our FP on same day. Actually we both end up going to the same person who took our Fringer print.. My FP appt. was for jan 3rd and my wife FP appt. was for jan 7th. The lady at the front desk at service center allowed my wife to do the FP with me on jan 3rd.

I got my YL before my wife . I think 4-5 days earlier. My wife status changed to "Testing and Interview" on Feb 23rd. My status is still at RFE.

r_lachu - wait for your receipt. Use your receipt number to lookup status on uscis website. If you are capable of posting a question on this thread, you are capable to look up the uscis website and search for your status. :)

I also received my Interview Letter. Please see my timelines below.

N400 Sent: NOV 20 2010
Priority Date : Nov 24 2010
RFE (FP letter): Dec 16 2010
FP done: Jan 03 2011
YL sent: Jan 18 2010
YL recieved: Jan 19 2010
Status changed to Interview & Testing: Feb 28 2011
Interview Letter Received : Mar 2 2011
Interview Scheduled : April 5 2011

Hello... just posting my information for others to see:

N400 Sent: 28 Jan 2010 (both me and my husband)
FP Letter Received: 11 Feb 2010 me / 14 Feb husband
FP Date: 10 Mar me / 11 Mar husband

Will fill in the check cashed dates when on my other computer with the full detail tracked. Will post information on how the FP goes.

traffic violations and interview

If I had minor traffic violations (wrong right turn for example) and said No on the arrest section, any supporting documentation I need to bring with?
Thanks

travel out of USA

I'm out of the country since mid October 2010 on a temporary work assignment, filed for citizenship during my trip to USA in Jan, then coming again in Mar for fingerprinting. I'm far from 30 months away in 5 years and never been out of USA for more than 4 months. Is there a risk if I stay abroad until the interview date?

Is travelling allowed after N-400 is submitted ?
I'm out of the country since mid October 2010 on a temporary work assignment, filed for citizenship during my trip to USA in Jan, then coming again in Mar for fingerprinting. I'm far from 30 months away in 5 years and never been out of USA for more than 4 months. Is there a risk if I stay abroad until the interview date?

Hello. I am defnitely not an expert however I do know some people with a similar issue. In their case, they went overseas for work, rented out their house and gave up their telephone number in the house. They filed AFTER they had left the country and in their refusal for citizenship they were told the following:
* they should be living in the US for the 3 months before they filed their application
* they should keep their US residence and it should be available to them (ie not rented out)
* they should keep their US phone number.

I don't really know the rules, or how discretionary their refusal was but it may be worth spending the consultation fee with an immigration attorney to ask their advice on how to present your information in the best possible light. I think if you have your residence open to you, and can show you did not move overseas but are on "business trips" and return home then perhaps you may be OK. I have always thought that if you are not out of the country for more than 6 months at a stretch you would be OK assuming you met the residency requirements. I am not the expert tho! Good luck in any case.

Is travelling allowed after N-400 is submitted ?

Yes, as long as you maintain residency, and are available for your appointments (which can - not recommended - but can be changed), you are still okay. At the time of the interview, disclose all such travel to the IO. They will update your form accordingly.

If I had minor traffic violations (wrong right turn for example) and said No on the arrest section, any supporting documentation I need to bring with?
Thanks

For tickets that were issued to you against your drivers license, I would recommend getting court dispositions as a backup. They most likely will not ask you for it, but just in case they look it up through your dmv record (I believe they have access to it), you could be asked. As mentioned in my post earlier on this thread, I mentioned it and was asked for the court docs.

Thanks, do they only care for traffic violations for the last 5 years while you were on a green card or also those from before when I was on H-1B?

For tickets that were issued to you against your drivers license, I would recommend getting court dispositions as a backup. They most likely will not ask you for it, but just in case they look it up through your dmv record (I believe they have access to it), you could be asked. As mentioned in my post earlier on this thread, I mentioned it and was asked for the court docs.

Thanks, do they only care for traffic violations for the last 5 years while you were on a green card or also those from before when I was on H-1B?

Not sure, per the question, you should mention all. HOWEVER, I only mentioned the ones that I got since my green card. There was no further questions asked on it. I would recommend go as far back as you can get records for.

Any idea how long it's taking to get an Interview at Newark after FP these days. From following several citizenship threads, it looks to me like Newark is taking its own sweet time ( 3 -4 months), where as most other DOs get it done in 1-2 months after FP. Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences from folks who recently go their IL.

Please see my timelines below. I had my in interview yesterday and everything went fine. Walked out as US Citizen.

N400 Sent: NOV 20 2010
Priority Date : Nov 24 2010
RFE (FP letter): Dec 16 2010
FP done: Jan 03 2011
YL sent: Jan 18 2010
YL recieved: Jan 19 2010
Status changed to Interview & Testing: Feb 28 2011
Interview Letter Received : Mar 2 2011
Interview Scheduled : April 5 2011 - Completed and now a USC Citizen.
Passport applied : April 5 2011.

Congrats Rajiv_ksharma!!!!!! Can you tell us a little more about you experience.... how was your interview. Mine is on the 12th so I am a little nervous about it. Thanks

N400 Sent: NOV 26 2010
Priority Date : Nov 30 2010
RFE (FP letter): Dec 20 2010
FP letter recieved: Dec 27 2010
FP done: Jan 11 2011
YL sent: Jan 24 2011
YL recieved: Jan 29 2011
IL Recieved: Mar 4 2011
ID Schedule: April 12 2011