Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

The whole process is very easy. The one thing you need to prepared is for wait time. My interview was schedule for 8:20 AM. When I got to the building around 7:40 AM or so. There were at least 20-25 people in front of me. So by the time I was inside the building after going through security it was 8:30. The interviews are conducted on 15th floor. So just go to the 15th floor. When you come out elevator there is a security person there. He will check your interview letter and photo ID. Then security person will ask to you to go to window 1 to drop your interview letter. Please make sure you do that even if security person does not ask you to do it. My wife did not drop her letter at window 1 and had to wait 4 hours for her interview.
Once you drop your interview letter then you take a seat and wait for your name to be called. My name was called around 9:40 or so. The officer asked to me give him passport and green card. He did not ask for driver license. But in my wife case officer asked for the driver license. Then he verified the information on application with me. Then had me sign the application.

Then he asked me the 6 questions . Which are below.

What did the declaration of independence do?
What does the president cabinet do?
How many justices are on the supreme court?
If the president and vice-president can not serve who becomes the president?
Name one branch of the government ?
We elect a US senator for how many years ?

After that he read me a sentence and asked me to write "Colombous day is in october". Then he went through my application and verified some information. Then he said that I passed the test and he is approving me for the citizenship.
Officer gave me two sheets one with the result of test and interview that I passed . Second one is for the oath you have to fill some information and click on some check boxes. The whole interview took around 10-12 minutes.

Now you wait again for your name to be called again. When they call you , you will be asked to go to a specific window , then they will take the Oath sheet from you, have you sign your Naturalization certificate , take your GC and will give you a Big white envelope with some literature in it.
Depending on your interview time , Usually they have Oath ceremony around 11:30, 2:30 and then again in the evening. My wife attended the evening ceremony and I attended the 11:30 ceremony.
While you are waiting in the room , they will make the announcement that whoever has sign there Naturalization certificate and got the white envelope go to the Oath room. Applicants seat in the front row and family seat in the back rows. You can have your family go with you and take pictures. In the Oath room , you watch a video , supervisor speaks and have you take the oath, you watch a video from Obama , watch a song and they ask you to sing along. Once everything is done then they call you by name and hand you your certificate.

When I got home I scaned my Certifcate and applied for the passport same day. The passport form you get with your Certificate is old. I had to fill up a new updated form.

Please let me know if you have any question.

I drove and parked in the parking lot across the building on Broad Street. I paid $12 for almost 5 hours. The maximum is $14 for the day.

I have my interview in the afternoon and trying to figure out if I will get the same day oath. Have an immediate travel need after the oath, and so trying to figure out the logistics of passport, visa etc. Any one here had afternoon interviews at Newark and knows the oath situation. viz. specific afternoon oath timings? Do we get to do the oath same day even if interviews are late in the afternoon. Please share your experiences?

solicit - I believe they have an oath ceremony in the afternoon at 4 (maybe one after that as well). Depending on what time your interview is, you may be able to get on to this one. A colleague of mine had an afternoon interview (3 pm) that went a bit long because of missing papers. By the time he was done, the oath ceremony had already begun but they asked him to go ahead and attend it. He walked in just as they were getting ready to take the oath (read previous posts on the process). So in short, assuming you pass, you should be done that same evening. If not, it will be the next morning (first one I believe is at 11:00). You can get a same day passport at the regional passport agency in NYC. They will give you that information when you take the oath. They also allow you to take the oath on another day so you can travel on your old passport and greencard. No guarantees on the date of oath though - so I wouldn't recommend it. But do factor in delays in passport and visa requirements (if needed) before you make the decision on this.

My wife interview was done around 3:45 pm or so. Then she got in the oath ceremony around 5 pm. It could have been after 5 pm too. I dont know remember exactly. So most likely you will have your oath on the same day.I applied the passport using the expedited service and got it within a week. Apply for the VISA and SC together and in person.

Thanks complexity and rajiv. I greatly appreciate your inputs. My interview is at 2.00, so seems like I could make it for the day's oath if everything goes well.

Hello
Posting my information here (long overdue). I can't remember all my dates exactly so I hope these are right, they are in the ballpark!

N400 Sent: 28 Jan 2010 (both me and my husband)
FP Letter Received: 11 Feb 2010 me / 14 Feb husband
FP Date: 10 Mar me / 11 Mar husband
FP Complete: 10 Mar me / 11 Mar husband
YL received: end March (sorry can't remember exact date)
Change in processing status to interview (email): 23 April (husband only; I did not sign up)
IL received: 4 May - me & husband
Interview Date: 2 June - me & husband

With regards to fingerprinting at Elizabeth, the only one comment I really have is that parking can be tricky and I did not have change for the meters. There are a number of meters around but depending on the time of your interview they can be full up. I am a Bank of America customer so I parked at the BoA car park across the street and the guy was really checking people. I asked him if he was going to book me if I wasn't back within a certain time because I was going to the bank but I was going to another shop after and I didn't want to be towed or ticketed. He told me as long as I was a bank customer I would not. So I went in and withdrew cash from the ATM and kept the receipt! My husband went next day, had enough change and had no problem getting metred parking near the building.

I have a question regarding the US passport if anyone can help. I am doing the interview 2nd June and I am actually moving to Switzerland 9th June. This is what happens when it takes 13 and a half years to get citizenship! Anyway, I called the Philly passport agency and they said I can request an appointment no earlier than 14 days before my travel date (ie 27 May). And then I do that through an automated system. They said that generally the office accommodates people's travel, as long as you have your tickets or proof of travel with you... but there are no guarantees.

Has anyone got advice or experience in doing the US passport same day? Are those services that offer same day just a scam or do they work? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p_hynes - don't go through any service for your same day passport. You will get detailed information on this during your oath ceremony by the people conducting the ceremony. You can go to the Philly or NYC regional passport agency. It might be a 2 day affair (they say it is 1). It costs you almost double, but they can give you one. I'm not sure about the appointment thing though. It wouldn't hurt to get an appointment for a day or two after your interview date. If you pass the interview, you will get the citizenship cert the same day and can go over there for your passport. If not, you can cancel.

hi complexity.,

I got few questions regarding N -400 process

1) I sent 2 N-400 (myself and wife ) to USCIS Lewisville, TX 75067 with $680.00 money order
Not mentioned any traffic information ( I rememberred i paid long back less $100.00 for speed tickets, so far we did not get points)
what i can do , is it ok ?
2) What about date of birth certificat, my wife does not have birth certificate ?

3) What about my kids 16 year daughter and 11 years my son ? Is there any process for them to take them @ interview time with their birth certificates

I would sincerely appreciate it

Thanks.,
usinsuser99

hi rajiv_ksharma.,

1) I sent 2 N-400 (myself and wife ) to USCIS Lewisville, TX 75067 with $680.00 money order
Not mentioned any traffic information ( I rememberred i paid long back less $100.00 for speed tickets, so far we did not get points)
2) What about date of birth certificat, my wife does not have birth certificate ?

3) What about my kids 16 year daughter and 11 years my son ? Is there any process for them to take them @ interview time with their birth certificates

Thanks.,
usinsuser99

See below

hi complexity.,

[complexity] Should be ok. If this was less than 5 years and you can get documentation on it, take it with you. You could go to the court associated with the ticket and request one. Take your driving record transcript (available through DMV) with you just in case.

[complexity] They didn't ask me or my wife for one during the interview, so I don't think you need to worry on that.

[complexity] I believe they naturalize automatically once you naturalize. There is a form you need to fill (don't remember the number). They will talk about this before the oath ceremony and tell you what to do. Also search other threads on this forum. There are lots of threads discussing this topic. As long as you naturalize before they are 18, I believe they will also become citizens.

Thanks.,
usinsuser99

Is there any questions?

Officers are very nice.
In the case of Biometrics, we need Biometric notice, GC and other identifications .
office going to open 8.00 am.

Goodluck

thx
usinsuser99

done FP in Elizabeth, NJ today. Very nice and friendly service. Everything went smoothly. Got there at 8:45, was done by 10.

oath/interview same day at newark?

Reading through the forum it seems like people have gotten their interview and oath on the same day? Is this the common practice at the Newark branch?

Or are there some people who's had a interview recently at the Newark office and was not offered a same day oath (assuming you passed the interview)?

thanks.

N-400 Interview date and time 10/17/2011 ; 9:20 @ Newark , 970 Broad Street.
Reached to 15th floor 8:30 am, security officer asked us come @ 9:00
Back to cafeteria in 2nd floor, then back to 15th floor @ 9:00
Security officer told us , go to the window# 1
myself and wife handover both interview letters @ window 1, told us wait in waiting area (we got seats in that hall)
called me @ 10:20 for come to Windows 8, officer asked my passport ,
then he took my pp , then he took photo copy of 1st page of my PP , asked me come to the door # 2.
took me to his office, showed chair, asked to me show my right arm, tell truth (swear), show GC and if you have DL show me too.
then gone through the my application, verified , asked all most all part of the application with quick manner.
Application questions --> data of birth , address, how many trips to went out the country, arrested or not, how many kids,
Then yes or no questions in application.

Then entered into the civic questions as follows

70) Who was the first President?
53) What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
100) Name two national U.S. holidays ?
84) What movement tried to end racial discrimination?
43) Who is the Governor of your state now?
95) Where is the Statue of Liberty?

Not asked reading question, asked me write as follows

"We have one hundred senators"

then told me, you passed, congratulations, given oath ceremony form, asked choose all NOs @ yes or no questions on that form.
I guess finished interview within 5 or 6 mins.

then back to waiting area, sat for next call.
@ 11:15 , called me one more officer asked me sign on copy and original of Naturalization certificate.
took my GC, given big envelop , some stuff what are the next steps after Citizen ship.

then back to waiting area

@ 11:20, one person came in front of waiting area , announced who ever got big envelop,
please enter into Oath room (left side of waiting room, on 15th floor).

@ 11:30 ,Some video stared about immigration in tv, we have to watch that video.

After that junior officer given speech about, immigration, rights , and responsibilities of citizenship.

Particularly saying, do not give the certificate to any agency other than passport agency,
PP agency will send it back along with our PP.
Please take the photo copy before handover the Passport agency for passport processing purpose.

After that senior officer came and handover the Naturalization certificate.

In Oath room, we have to watch video, listen speech, sing songs along with officers. other officers observing us.
Replacement of certificate is taking more time and money.
Do not laminate the certificate.

< 18 kids automatically converted into citizens once one of the parents got Naturalization Certificate.

Once got the certificate , then entered into SSN office @ 10th floor for updation of my SSN and kids.

Took my application , entered into their system, but not yet stored my updates in their database,
they did not get my citizenship updates in their databases.

They asked me wait couple of weeks , we can get the confirmation about SSN.

In the case of kids , kids does not have proof of citizen ship. SSN people and Immigration people advised me
first apply the passport for kids, once get those pp, then update the their SSNs.

once apply the PP for kids, then apply the N-600 for kids citizen ship.

My experience

1) Very simple but accurate process, if our application have no obligations, interview is also straight forward.
2) Main GC, all passports, DL needed to show to them (mandatory)
3) Better take the all traffic tickets, court depositions.
4) Take the tax returns info
5) Restrooms are very close to the waiting room,
better use restrooms after while handover the letter @ window 1.
Once interview over almost relax.

6) we can get the PP form along with certificate, if we finished the Oath @ 11:30 am.
then we apply the pp in cross street post office, PP application process will close @ 2:30 pm in that postoffice.

7) Latter we can update the SSN.
8) Staff are very nice.
9) Little pain in waiting and restroom use.

05/28/2011: N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX UPS Express
05/31/2011: Application received
05/31/2011: Priority date
06/02/2011: Notice date
06/10/2011: NOA I-797C received in mail
06/15/2011: Biometrics shceduled letter (Appointment date : 7/7/2011)
07/07/2011: Biometrics work done
09/08/2011: Received Interview letter (Appointment date : 10/17/2011)
10/17/2011: Interview passed, finished Oath ceremony, got Naturalization Certificate.

Thanks for all of our members and good luck to them.
Special thanks to kahuni98
If any body have any questions ,please pass to me, if i have i would definitely answer.

Finally thanks once again to Rajiv Khanna.

Really appreciated his Service!!!

GOOD LUCK FOR ALL

Regards.,

usinsuser99

N-400 Interview date and time 10/17/2011 ; 9:20 @ Newark , 970 Broad Street.
Reached to 15th floor 8:30 am, security officer asked us come @ 9:00
Back to cafeteria in 2nd floor, then back to 15th floor @ 9:00
Security officer told us , go to the window# 1
myself and wife handover both interview letters @ window 1, told us wait in waiting area (we got seats in that hall)
called me @ 10:20 for come to Windows 8, officer asked my passport ,
then he took my pp , then he took photo copy of 1st page of my PP , asked me come to the door # 2.
took me to his office, showed chair, asked to me show my right arm, tell truth (swear), show GC and if you have DL show me too.
then gone through the my application, verified , asked all most all part of the application with quick manner.
Application questions --> data of birth , address, how many trips to went out the country, arrested or not, how many kids,
Then yes or no questions in application.

Then entered into the civic questions as follows

70) Who was the first President?
53) What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
100) Name two national U.S. holidays ?
84) What movement tried to end racial discrimination?
43) Who is the Governor of your state now?
95) Where is the Statue of Liberty?

Not asked reading question, asked me write as follows

"We have one hundred senators"

then told me, you passed, congratulations, given oath ceremony form, asked choose all NOs @ yes or no questions on that form.
I guess finished interview within 5 or 6 mins.

then back to waiting area, sat for next call.
@ 11:15 , called me one more officer asked me sign on copy and original of Naturalization certificate.
took my GC, given big envelop , some stuff what are the next steps after Citizen ship.

then back to waiting area

@ 11:20, one person came in front of waiting area , announced who ever got big envelop,
please enter into Oath room (left side of waiting room, on 15th floor).

@ 11:30 ,Some video stared about immigration in tv, we have to watch that video.

After that junior officer given speech about, immigration, rights , and responsibilities of citizenship.

Particularly saying, do not give the certificate to any agency other than passport agency,
PP agency will send it back along with our PP.
Please take the photo copy before handover the Passport agency for passport processing purpose.

After that senior officer came and handover the Naturalization certificate.

In Oath room, we have to watch video, listen speech, sing songs along with officers. other officers observing us.
Replacement of certificate is taking more time and money.
Do not laminate the certificate.

< 18 kids automatically converted into citizens once one of the parents got Naturalization Certificate.

Once got the certificate , then entered into SSN office @ 10th floor for updation of my SSN and kids.

Took my application , entered into their system, but not yet stored my updates in their database,
they did not get my citizenship updates in their databases.

They asked me wait couple of weeks , we can get the confirmation about SSN.

In the case of kids , kids does not have proof of citizen ship. SSN people and Immigration people advised me
first apply the passport for kids, once get those pp, then update the their SSNs.

once apply the PP for kids, then apply the N-600 for kids citizen ship.

My experience

1) Very simple but accurate process, if our application have no obligations, interview is also straight forward.
2) Main GC, all passports, DL needed to show to them (mandatory)
3) Better take the all traffic tickets, court depositions.
4) Take the tax returns info
5) Restrooms are very close to the waiting room,
better use restrooms after while handover the letter @ window 1.
Once interview over almost relax.

6) we can get the PP form along with certificate, if we finished the Oath @ 11:30 am.
then we apply the pp in cross street post office, PP application process will close @ 2:30 pm in that postoffice.

7) Latter we can update the SSN.
8) Staff are very nice.
9) Little pain in waiting and restroom use.

10/17/2011: Interview passed, finished Oath ceremony, got Naturalization Certificate.

Thanks for all of our members and good luck to them.
Special thanks to kahuni98
If any body have any questions ,please pass to me, if i have i would definitely answer.

Finally thanks once again to Rajiv Khanna.

Really appreciated his Service!!!

GOOD LUCK FOR ALL

Regards.,

usinsuser99

What about next steps after passport process like as follows

1) SSN update process for all parents & kids
2) N-600 processe for kids
3) we need to update the I9 withour employer ?
4) what about horizon country visa processes ?

If you have little time please share with us.

10/22/2011: Applied for passports for (myself, wife, and 2 kids -> @ 12 and @ 17 years) as regular process (passport book and passport card as well).

Once gain thanks in advance.

-usinsuser99