Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Me and my spouse are naturalized citizens as of yesterday. Very pleasant and professional experience. Got the feeling that the officers there are doing their job and not there to find holes in your application, but to make sure you are legally allowed to naturalize. If you have everything in order, you are good to go. Below is our detailed experience.

Both arrived at the federal building at 9:00am, went up to the 15th floor, gave our interview letters at windows 1 and took a seat. There are 3 doors and door 1 and 2 are frequently used. Very nice setup, looks very professional (was expecting much less but was pleasantly surprised). There were about 100 people already sitting there and names were being called out on a microphone. From what I understood (overheard an IO speaking with someone who was complaining about the wait) the cases are distributed among the available IO's at the beginning of the day. If the IO that your case is allocated to gets a complicated case before you and takes time, it means your case is delayed. At around 10:45, my name was called first and I went through with my interview, which lasted about 5 minutes. Spouse was called in at around 11:00, the interview lasted about 15 minutes. We both got on the 11:30 oath, sat through the initial lecture about N-600, passport, allegiance, saying the oath out loudly (make sure you do, they monitor and pull you out if you don't), etc. The supervisor came out next, gave a speech, watched a video, took the oath, sang a song, and were given our certificate.

My interview experience - got called by a stern but polite lady, walked in to her office. She asked me to stand and take oath and then asked me to sit. She asked for passport, gc but didn't ask for drivers license. Didn't really look at the application, was glancing through a thick folder and her computer screen. Asked me a few questions about arrest, drugs, prostitution, visits of greater than 6 months etc. Then as she was glancing through the application, saw the section for arrests and asked me why I said no to arrests question when I had entries in that section. I told her they were traffic tickets (I had two) and asked her if she wanted to see the court dispositions. She said yes and went through it carefully, ticking off a few sections, verifying the status was paid, put them all together and added it to the bottom of the file. Next she gave me a sheet of paper, asked me to write a sentence (can't remember). While I was writing the sentence, she flipped through both my passports (I had lost the old one, but found it just a few days ago) but not sure what she got out of it (flipping was too fast if you ask me). Next she started asking the 6 questions - name of national anthem, we elect senator for how long, how many representatives, name of vice president, don't remember.... Got all six right, and she gave me the form confirming that I had passed the test and she is recommending me for approval.

Spouse had longer process. The officer apologized for the delay, did not administer the oath, asked six questions (freedom of religion, stars on flag represent, longest river, state governer, chief justice name, one promise when you become US citizen). Asked to write "Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves". Was told "you passed the history/civics test" and now he would go through the application in detail to verify eligibility for naturalization. Asked about date of birth, date first entered in to US, whether first entry was as a PR or as a non-immigrant, asked if spouse was a PR and was also taking the test and had already passed, went through all yes/no questions and finally gave the letter confirming recommendation for citizenship.

All in all, a very pleasant experience. We were well prepared with every possible documentation but none was requested. For my interview, it seemed like the IO had already gone through my file and had hand picked what she wanted to ask me.

Thanks to all the gurus on this forum for answering my queries in the past. I'll be back occassionally for the next few days, so feel free to check with me on any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complexity,

Can you please post your dates e.g. when did you do your FP and after that when did you receive you IL ? Me and my wife we did our FP on January 3rd,2011. I am trying to estimate when we should expect our IL. We did receive our yellow letter 2 weeks ago.
Thanks.
Rajiv.

See below. I'll be posting a few logistics related things sometime today to help others prepare when they go for their interviews.

A few things on logistics that might help other going for their interview at Newark (some are my opinions):

Parking: As you approach the federal building (970 Broad Street), there are a few parking lots available for $14/day. Recommend you use one of these since you don't know how long you will be in there. Street parking is available but they are metered parking with time limits on them.

Entrance: There are two entrances to the building - Broad Street and Walnut Street. The security is almost right at the door and there is very little space in between, so if you are going on a cold or rainy day, be prepared to stand out for a bit. They only let a small batch of people in at any given point.

Waiting Area: Citizenship interviews are conducted on the 15th floor. As you get out of the elevator, a guard will ask for your interview notice and id. The guard asks you to put your phones on vibrate and take calls only if you have to by coming outside in the elevator area (but don't plan on using texting features. Another guard who takes rounds of the hall will yell at you). The main hall is right across from there. Interview letters are dropped at Window 1. There are 8 - 10 windows and 3 doors. Door 1 is to the left of the windows, doors 2 and 3 are to the right. A few administrative officers are behind the window managing all the paperwork (most of them smile and greet you when you approach for anything). There are about 100+ chairs that you can sit on while you wait. There are two television on the wall on each side running live news (I think CNN). There are cubicles/offices on either side of the windows behind the doors. I would guess there are 15 - 20 officers working on the interviews. Which door you get called to depends on which officer is assigned to your case and where his/her cubicle is. As mentioned before in my experience, from what I overheard, every morning the cases are distributed among officers. So even before you get there, an officer is assigned to your case. Every few minutes or so, an officer comes around and anounces a name. Some officers seemed to come and ask for passport, gc, drivers license at the windows and then later call the applicant for interview. Most have stern / serious looks on their face, but not mean. Some officers seemed to walk by behind the glass door occassionally and laugh or joke with their colleagues, so its not all serious :). They all have a professional attitude and will take the time to let you get to the door and usher you in. They will wait for you if you need extra time to get to the door.

Restroom: The rest rooms are outside the main hall. Unlike what I read before, if your name is called when you are out on a restroom break (or anything), they do call out your name again in a bit.

Lunch / Drink: If you have an interview in the AM hours, I would recommend you take something with you. You are allowed to carry food / water in there. I believe there is a cafeteria on the second floor; we didn't use it. I would also recommend that you eat something before you go and minimize drinking water as that would lead to frequent bathroom breaks during which your name might be called (no worries, they will call again, but why would you want that to happen if you can avoid it? :) ).

Oath: Once you complete your interview, if your are successful, you will receive two sheets of paper. One that says you passed your interview and are recommended for citizenship, and the second for appearing at the oath ceremony. You need to fill out some minor details on the oath letter (name address, some yes/no questions). Your name will get called to one of the windows. One of the admins will give you a white envelope which contains few docs / books (Oath leaflet, voters info, guide etc.) She will ask you to verify information on your certificate and sign it and then take it back. She will also tell you the next available oath ceremony time. You then go back and take a seat until you are called. At the allocated time, you will be called to go to the oath room (on the same floor).

Ceremony: All applicants that are recommended for approval will sit in the front. Any family visiting will sit in the back. There will be a speech by one of the coordinators on a few things associated with citizenship (certificate, changes, sponsoring relatives, children eligibility, voting, being loud when taking the oath, etc.). After that, the supervisor of the ceremony will come out and speak about what it means to be a citizen. Then a short video from President Obama, followed by the actual Oath ceremony will take place. After that, it is anounced that you are a citizen, and you will watch another video of your adopted country with the song "God bless the U.S.A", which you will be asked to sing along (by reading the captions). After that, your names are called in rapid succession for the certificates. You will line up and get your certificate. Plenty of opportunity to take pictures.

Urgent Travel After Citizenship: You have the choice to postpone your oath if you need to travel immediately or soon after the ceremony. Once you take your oath, you can no longer travel on your old passport as you do not have your Green Card to re-enter the country. Once a citizen, you will need to travel in and out of US with your new passport (this was mentioned during oath ceremony). So if you need to travel soon after, you can delay your oath and get back your GC for travel. The other choice is to become a citizen and then go to the Regional Passport Office in NYC / Philadelphia to get a same day passport. It takes the full day and you have to go in person as they need to interview you and understand the circumstances of your request before issuing it. If you have no urgency, do not go as I believe they will reject your request. All others would go the normal processing route.

Best of luck to all of you. If you have any questions on any of the above, feel free to ping me and I'll respond to the best of my knowledge (but please remember that I was in your shoes too :) ). I'll be back from time to time to see some of my fellow applicants successfully navigate through the trenches of the immigration process and feel good about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complexity,
Thanks lot for the information. This is very useful.
Rajiv.

You're welcome Rajiv. I know the whole process is intimidating (perhaps more in some cases vs. others) but calm your nerves as the day gets closer. It wasn't anywhere close to the ordeal I was expecting.

Best of luck to you.

Hello Gurus, Feeling like I am at right place to resolve my dilemma.
I have applied for Naturalization on Nov 8th 2010. I am kind of worried as i haven’t heard anything after Finger print on Dec 14th 2010. Here is time line.
It has been three months sinceN400 submission, Is it normal for Newark Office or should I contact USCIS for update?
11/18/2005 – GC received.
11/08/2010 – N400 Sent.
11/17/2010 – Received NOA and FP notice.
12/14/2010 – Submitted FP.

Hello Gurus, Feeling like I am at right place to resolve my dilemma.
I have applied for Naturalization on Nov 8th 2010. I am kind of worried as i haven’t heard anything after Finger print on Dec 14th 2010. Here is time line.
It has been three months sinceN400 submission, Is it normal for Newark Office or should I contact USCIS for update?
11/18/2005 – GC received.
11/08/2010 – N400 Sent.
11/17/2010 – Received NOA and FP notice.
12/14/2010 – Submitted FP.

Until the case is transfered to the local office, you will need to work with USCIS. I don't think Newark will entertain any requests. Even if you try to call them directly (I can't find a place where the number is listed) or get an infopass and go there, they will not entertain you there and ask you to call USCIS for information. That said, can't say why your transfer to local office is taking long. Perhaps your name check is taking long? Was this a problem during your GC? Was your FP scheduled for a later date but you went in earlier? The other reason could be an increase in the number of applications at Newark which could lead to longer processing times.... just my thoughts. In my case, I got my IL after 1.5 months, so if you add a few weeks for delays, you should be getting yours soon too!

Complexity,
Thanks for your quick response.
I had family based GC with clean records, also submitted FP on the date they mentioned on notice. I dont see any other reason than having few extra applicants at Newark.
Do you think i should call USCIS and ask for update? or i should wait till end of February?
Thank you again!

N400 Newark timeline

Hi all,
Here is my husband's N400 application timeline.

N400 sent to Dallas: Dec 2010
FP done: Jan 21, 2011
YL received: Feb 10, 2011

Can you please tell me what is this yellow letter that we have received? Approximately when should we expect interview notice?

Thanks

hir_00ce32 - I would recommend waiting till end of Feb. You should receive it. If you don't then you will likely be crossing the average timelines considering that letters come about 1 month before the actual interview date. So a call would be warranted. Just my opinion.

kpat - Yellow letters are sent to ask for specific documents for the interview. It usually is a reminder, but I wouldn't put too much weight on this. It's not required for your interview, nor is it an indication of any issue. I received one that asked me to bring court disposition of arrests (I had mentioned traffic tickets, I was never arrested). As for when to expect interview notice, likely you will have to wait till March, but again, can't say that for sure. As can be seen from hir_00's case, it could be anything! Just be patient....

Thanks complexity for the detailed write up on the logistics. This will certainly be handy for me and several others.

Any thoughts on doing the FP earlier than the scheduled date ? Does it in any way impact the timelines?

solicit - don't think it impacts the timelines. I did mine a few days early. The officer at the door there was understanding and I told her I didn't want to make two trips since my spouse and I had different dates. I think if you give them a good reason, they will let you go through.

From what I saw, the interview letter originate from somewhere else (I think Missouri or some place around there). Not sure but I have a feeling, there is some kind of an automated process that generates interview notice and sends it out. So you are probably in queue and waiting for an open slot. Is your status updated to interview and testing?

My status still says RFE. We did the FP on Jan 3rd and then got the yellow letter I think 2-3 weeks later. Just advising us to bring the drivers license. Since then no change in the online status.
Lets see when we get the FP letter.

Does anyone here sent their N400 by the end of NOV beggining of DEC my timeline is below last thing I heard was on 1/29 I recieved the YL since then nothing. online status is stock on RFE :(. Anyone in newark on the same boat with similar Timeline.

N400 Sent: NOV 26 2010
Priority Date : Nov 30 2010
RFE (FP letter): Dec 20 2010
FP letter recieved: Dec 27 2010
FP done: Jan 11 2011
YL sent: Jan 24 2010
YL recieved: Jan 29 2010