Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Waiting for the IL

Looks like everyone who has filed N400 on May are still waiting for IL coming.

Here is my timeline

05/08/10 mailed N400
05/10/10 check cashed
05/17/10 NOA received
06/02/10 biometric letter
06/28/10 biometric done
07/23/10 YL
**/**/** IL
**/**/** Interview&Oath

Does everybody know about the average processing time at Newark Office?The national goal is within 5 months.
How long should I wait to receive an interview letter after biometric done?

Anyway,the only thing I can do is just being patient

We are pretty much on the same boat, still waiting for the IL.
If we both applied at the beginning of May,I guess we suppose to receive an IL before the end of Aug in order to get everything done by the end of Sep
Here are my and wife's details

05/06/10 - N400 recd (texas) DO - NJ
06/03/10 - FP notice (appt of 06/25/10)
06/25/10 - FP done
07/15/10 - YL recd (mine)
07/22/10 - YL for wife
No IL, ID to date (08/10/10)

Hey, all you worrying May filers, look at the April Newark filers on the spreadsheet here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoxJgTZJQsbldFVXaVFXODFlb1d5aWxqM1lnVlVUc3c&hl=en#gid=3

There are seven examples for you, with filing dates in the range 4/2 to 4/15. If you scroll over to the rightmost column you can see that for every one of those seven cases, the number of days between N400 Rec'd and Interview Date is either 130 or 131. The ILs were all received about a month before the IDs. These timelines should help you manage your expectations.

Hi jeffrey and quqom, just got an email saying that mine and my wife's cases were transferred to local office for interview. Will let you know the date. You'll should be getting something soon, esp Jeffrey. Let me know

dude, I will need to have your capability of posting something on the forum and getting something few days later. let us know when is your interview date. i surely will update you when i receive.

Congrats,you should receive a IL soon
As your N400 receive date is a couple of days earlier than mine,so hopefully I will see my case being updated next week.But I will travel abroad from 15th to 31st,so the only way I can do is just check status online.

Hi jeffrey and quqom, just got an email saying that mine and my wife's cases were transferred to local office for interview. Will let you know the date. You'll should be getting something soon, esp Jeffrey. Let me know

Also I need to mention that I forgot to send 2 photos and a copy of front and back of green card with my n400 form.

In YL,it indicated some documents they suggest me to bring for the interview such as 2 photos,state driver's license,green card and passport,but didn't mention about a copy of green card.Should I still make a copy myself and bring for the interview?

Congrats Jeffrey, I will take my entire file (140/485 approval; GC, Tax returns, pay stubs, etc) to the interview. Let them see what they want. The YL only asks for my License. Looks like Newark is on time. I heard that the oath, etc is on the same day if recommended for approval. Is it correct. I do not have the patience for USCIS to lose my file (they goofed up my and my wife's 485 files and they were approved almost 6 months after the processing date-thanks to the USCIS govt faux pas). Keep in touch.

the oath will be held on the same day after interview,also you will get US citizenship certificate.then you can apply the passport next day

Hi Jeffrey and qukqom

My (and wife's) interview is on Sep 15 @ 9:30... You guys should be getting one soon. Only thing I'm actually supposed to take are GC, PP and DL, but will take everything that I can get my hands on... Who wants to take a chance at this stage. All the best. Have to study for the test.

we are usc as of y'day.
Being prone to the "excessive research bug" , I've always scoured the web & libraries , including this forum, for help and information :) i am officially a veteran in these matters ;-)
my interview was with a officer who was himself an immigrant and sometimes I could not understand his english ! But he was courteous . Strangely he appeared nervous himself - perhaps it was the first day/week at the job ? In any case he never put me under oath ! Went thro the application questions . I had listed my traffic tickets and he asked if I had paid 'em. Asked me the 6 Q's and finally asked me to write a sentence. Gave me the approval and oath appt letter. And then he stared at his screen for a loooong time. There was some section in red on the screen . Then he thought for some time. And then he stared at the screen some more ( :) ) before asking me if I had some proof for payment - *at least* for the latest ticket in NY. I produced a copy of the receipt and a bonus - the certified copy of my 97 ticket. He repeated what was in these documents and finally looked satisfied :) Most ppl got thro including an old lady with limited language ( english ) skills. There was one old lady who's app was rejected - the IO came out to explain the situation to the person who had accompanied her. From what I could make out, I think she could just not converse in english and answer the Q's.
My advise on the ticket thing is to list them if you can gather the receipt / certified copy of disposition /receipt etc.
pl. feel free to ask me any Q's.

BTW I sent my app around apr 13.
thx guys ( and gals !)

Too bad the IO invalidated your USC status by never swearing you in during interview, effectively making you said inadmissible.

Just kidding ..Congratulations.!

being an american now , I am going to sue you for .... well I'll think of something soon :)
until then thanks.

Passed the Interview

The Interview was a breeze. Took just 20 minutes.

The officer came and took me to his room. The officer was very professional and very well trained. He sworn me under oath when I entered into his room. He did everything so fast did not even waste a second. Officer was very polite.

The question he ask to me were:

1) The House of Representative has how many voting members.
2) We elect US Representative for how many years.
3) Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now.
4) Name one war fought by United States in 1900s.
5) In what month do we vote for President.
6) Who is the father of Our Country.

After that, the officer said that I passed the interview, handed over form N 652 and N445

completed my Oath during the Oath ceremony at 12.00.

Now I am US CITIZEN.:)
I noticed that there were many who completed the interview in 15 minutes time and most of them passed as per their happy faces.

My interview is at 8:00am on Sep 16,so I can start studying for test right now.Good luck:)
Hi Jeffrey and qukqom

My (and wife's) interview is on Sep 15 @ 9:30... You guys should be getting one soon. Only thing I'm actually supposed to take are GC, PP and DL, but will take everything that I can get my hands on... Who wants to take a chance at this stage. All the best. Have to study for the test.