Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

This is what I received from USPS tracking --- Dunno now if somebody received my N400 application, are they gonna return it to me ? Did I do wrong by sending it to the PO BOX in Lewisville. Anybody with the same experience ????

====
We attempted to deliver your item at 10:58 AM on October 21, 2009 in LEWISVILLE, TX 75029 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

and one more thing is i see the stamp that was printed on the letter cover from USCIS it shows OCT 8...that means they have mailed it on that day...i am really suprised it took 12 days to reach NJ... May the sorting facility got moved from Edison to edinburough :)..just kidding.

New Sorting Facility is in KEARNY, NJ 07032.

Send N-400 Today

Hello Everybody,

Thought I will join the thread as I live in NJ. Today I sent my n-400 application to Lewisville. I am not sure what the fate of my application will be as I have DUI last year:(. Fingers crossed hoping for the best.

Fingerprinting problems with wife @ Elizabeth, NJ

My wife and I had our FP done today at Elizabeth (285 N Broad Street location)

During her FP, she was told that she had 'scratchy fingers' (i.e. fingers with lots of scratches) and that in her experience, with fingers like that, she'll most likely be called in for a second FP. My wife stated her fingers are what they are :)
She basically *did* apply cream etc. to them beforehand for a few weeks however my question is why would the Fingerprints come out any better the second time ? What happens if they don't come out well the second time ?

I heard somewhere that she needs to get local police clearances etc.
How does she do that ? And in what format should the said clearance be ?
Surely this delays the entire case ! :-(

Any information appreciated.

Thanks.

PunetoNJ.

OK. I see some progress for late august filings. Sent for standard interview. Waiting for Notice.

08/24/2009: N-400 application sent to lockbox
09/19/2009: FP Done
10/24/2009: Online status updated. Sent for standard interview.

Case update:

TIMELINE
5 Year based N-400
GC Date: Oct 2002
DO: Newark NJ

08/25/2009 : N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX
08/26/2009 : N-400 Delivered at Lewisville / Priority date
08/27/2009 : Check Cleared
08/31/2009 : NOA Received
__/__/____ : FP Notice Received
09/19/2009 : FP Notice Date
10/23/2009 : Status change - case transferred to Local office
__/__/____ : Interview Letter Received
__/__/____ : Interview Date
__/__/____ : Oath

Emails received and online status changed for self and spouse to “This case has been sent for a standard interview’.

For Cases filed during June, July and August 2009 with DO Newark NJ, it is taking between 60 to 75 days from the Receipt Date/Priority Date, for their status to change to “Testing and Interview” and another 30 to 35 days for the interviews and oath ceremonies.

Here are the details:
DO: Newark, NJ
08/22/2009: N400 Fedexed to Lewisville, TX
08/24/2009: N400 received by USCIS
08/24/2009: Receipt Date/Priority Date
08/26/2009: Checks cleared
08/26/2009: Notice Date
08/31/2009: NOA arrived
09/05/2009: Online status & emails on RFE (FP?) notice mailed on 09/03/2009
09/08/2009: FP Notices dated 09/04/09 received Scheduled for 09/18/09
09/09/2009: Walk-in FPs done at Elizabeth
10/24/2009: Emails received /online status for self/spouse updated
to ‘Sent for Standard Interview”

Interview experiece on Oct 21st.

Guys / Gals,
I became American on Oct 21st. The interview was just a typical one. It took about 10 minutes. Mine is a 5 year based (after employment based GC). Based on my experience i can cofidently say that if you have no negative factors in your record (never been arrested) then interview is just a formality. They will just ask you those 6 easy questions which will be from the 100 questions in the book that they gave you during finger printing. Going to citizenship interview is like going to stamping for your GC wen your case is already approved. They will not ask you any documents other than GC, Drivers License and Passport. You don't need any thin else. I have seen a few people posting that they were asked about birth certificate. Other than that you don't need to carry any thing else for 5 year GC based applications. The 3 yr marriage based people may have to take more documents (combined accounts, proof of living togather etc).

Let me pt my interview experiences in bulletin points :
1) Traffic Tickets : Don't sweat over traffic tickets unless they are DUI related or Accident leading to police arrest. The IO will only ask you have you ever been arrested and you will say "No". There ends the matter. He doesn't have your minor traffic affenses records in front of him. So don't bother about telling him these minor trivia. If you tell about them then you will have to submit detailed court disposal documents for those cases.
2) Parking : There are paid parking lots all across that Broad Street. At almost every traffic light (near this Federal building) you will see big boards about paid parking lots. Try the one opposite the church (which is next to the Federal building). It's 11 dollars for 10 hrs. If that is full, then try the one at the next traffic light. That's 14 dollars per day.
3) Interview timings : As soon as you enter 15th floor, you have to go to window 1 and submit your interview letter. It looks like in most cases people are being called 1 hour after they submit their interview letter at window1. The interview takes about 10 minutes (half of that time, the IO will be seeing your information on the computer and entering some information). All you need to do is answer the 6 questions and you will pass the interview.
4) Oath timings: After the interview,it's taking about 1 hr again to get the Oath handbook. Once you get the Oath handbook then you are ready for Oath. The Oath ceremonies take place at 11.15am, 2pm and 4.15pm. The ceremony takes about 20 minutes. After that you can head for your car.
5) Name change : It's very simple. If yo have not already mentioned in the N400, just tell the IO that you want name change. He will give you what ever name you want. Also some people like "OneMoreStupid" have asked about having their first names and middle names appearing differently in different identification documents like GC, Passport, SSN etc. Even my case is also a similar one. But it is a non issue. The IO's are very nice people (even though some of them may not appear or talk in a friendly way). They use common sense and they will not create beaurocratic problems.
6) Documents you need for interview : It depends on the type of application. If it is based on 5yr emplyment GC, then all you need is just GC, drivers license and Passport. You may also want to carry your birth certificate (just in case). There is no need for other documents.
7) Other / Miscellaneous tips : It's better to go there 1 or 1.5 hrs before the interview so that you will be called at your scheduled time. If you are able to take the 11am Oath or 2pm Oath then go to 10th floor (SSN office) and fill out the SSN update application and submit it. You need to show them your naturalization certificate in order to do this. There is a canteen on 2nd floor. I guess that it closes at 3.30pm.

Over all, it's a very simple process and you just go there and complete the formalities and become a happy American :) . Please let me know if any of you have any questions. I will be pleased to answer. My immigration journey in this country is finally over and i am enjoying it. The Green Card process was tough. I have worked with Rajiv Khanna during the I485 stage to put pressure on INS to expedite the process. If not for Rajiv's lawsuit against INS for I485 delays, our green card process would have been delayed by a few years. I thank him for helping the immigrants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status Update

Saturday 9/24, went for FP and completed. Appointment was at 10am and reached there 15 min early and got the number 80, they were serving 45 or something; so it was an hour and 20min wait and completed couple of chapters on the book I was reading.

My updated time line below, I was planning to go for a vacation +business trip from Dec 28 till Jan 14, but it looks like my interview may fall during those dates so I have to wait till I get the Interview letter before I can schedule the travel ( need to asses the time to get PP, Visa etc). Anybody have a prediction on when I might get the Interview Letter?

And what is the yellow letter ?

Thanks

09/24/09: N400 Mailed Lewisville,TX(USPS)
09/28/09: N-400 Received
09/29/09: NOA date and PD
09/29/09: Check cashed
10/09/09: RFE ( checked online..)
10/07/09: FP notice date
10/10/09: FP notice received
10/24/09: FP appointment – DONE!
x/xx/09: IL received
x/xx/09: ID

Saturday 9/24, went for FP and completed. Appointment was at 10am and reached there 15 min early and got the number 80, they were serving 45 or something; so it was an hour and 20min wait and completed couple of chapters on the book I was reading.

My updated time line below, I was planning to go for a vacation +business trip from Dec 28 till Jan 14, but it looks like my interview may fall during those dates so I have to wait till I get the Interview letter before I can schedule the travel ( need to asses the time to get PP, Visa etc). Anybody have a prediction on when I might get the Interview Letter?
----------------you may get Interview letter after 45-50 days of Fingerprints.[/B
And what is the yellow letter ?
-------------- some got the yellow letter 25-30 days of Fingerprint date.
--------------------For Newark DO Interview it takes about 4 months for interview date from the date you sent N400. you can search the posting and can make a guess.

Thanks

09/24/09: N400 Mailed Lewisville,TX(USPS)
09/28/09: N-400 Received
09/29/09: NOA date and PD
09/29/09: Check cashed
10/09/09: RFE ( checked online..)
10/07/09: FP notice date
10/10/09: FP notice received
10/24/09: FP appointment – DONE!
x/xx/09: IL received
x/xx/09: ID

-------------

Got Yellow letter asking DL for both myself and wife. IL letter for me. Wondering why I didn't get IL for my wife. anybody had similar situation ??. Application was sent in same package and FP, emails, status change all were at the same time.
Not sure if they mailed separately.

10/26/2009: Yellow letter for both. IL for self.
12/04/2009: ID

Nothing to worry Kaatupaadi. Since you have received Yellow letters for both, you should be receiving the IL by today.

Here is my update:
DO: Newark, NJ
08/22/2009: N400 Fedexed to Lewisville, TX
08/24/2009: N400 received by USCIS
08/24/2009: Receipt Date/Priority Date
08/26/2009: Checks cleared
08/26/2009: Notice Date
08/31/2009: NOA arrived
09/05/2009: Online status & emails on RFE (FP?) notice mailed on 09/03/2009
09/08/2009: FP Notices dated 09/04/09 received Scheduled for 09/18/09
09/09/2009: Walk-in FPs done at Elizabeth
10/24/2009: Emails/online status for self/spouse ‘Sent for Standard Interview”
10/26/2009: Received Yellow Letters for self/spouse
10/26/2009: Received Interview Letters for self/spouse
12/02/2009: Scheduled Interview date for self/spouse

Got Yellow letter asking DL for both myself and wife. IL letter for me. Wondering why I didn't get IL for my wife. anybody had similar situation ??. Application was sent in same package and FP, emails, status change all were at the same time.
Not sure if they mailed separately.

10/26/2009: Yellow letter for both. IL for self.
12/04/2009: ID

your wife IL may come in 1-2 days.

Received my ID Nov 23 2009

08/16/2009 N-400 Application sent
9/10/2009 FP done
10/10/2009 Yellow Letter requesting to bring DL and 2 Photos
11/23/2009 ID

I didn't realize that interview and oath were on same day at Newark.

I know in the past (pre-Sept 11), family members were able to attend oath ceremony and take photos.

Is this still the case? Can my US-citizen spouse come to my interview process on Thurs (wait in the waiting area or whatever) and then witness the oath ceremony?

Thanks in advance.

I didn't realize that interview and oath were on same day at Newark.

I know in the past (pre-Sept 11), family members were able to attend oath ceremony and take photos.

Is this still the case? Can my US-citizen spouse come to my interview process on Thurs (wait in the waiting area or whatever) and then witness the oath ceremony?

Thanks in advance.
Oath ceremonies take place at 11.15am, 2pm and 4.15pm and I read a post that one can bring child/wife to interview. you can search few last posts in this thread.
Good Luck!!

Timeline update FP done

Went there at 8:45 for 9:00 AM appoinment ..parked the car in a meter parking couple of blocks from the center.. I had about 35 people before me so it took me about 40 mins inside and came out at 10:00 ...

Next the wait contines for the Status change & Yellow letter.

Oath ceremonies take place at 11.15am, 2pm and 4.15pm and I read a post that one can bring child/wife to interview. you can search few last posts in this thread.
Good Luck!!