Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Hi lbejta,

1) I think it is normal not to get the IL with in 2 week's of teh yellow letter. If you follow teh signatures of members on timelines, you can see some got IL 1 week after yellow letter while some got it after a month. So you can wait for now I guess.

2) You have to get 6 out of 10 right. If you get the first 6 right, they may not ask the rest of 4 but in few cases they may still ask all 10. Bottomline is you have to get 6 correct out of 10.

Thank you very helpfull thank you again

Wow:

I still have heard nothing since my FP appointment in June.

vdostoi1,

As far as I know, everyone is not getting yellow letter so don't worry. I am pretty sure your Interview date will be before me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name Change & Marriage Certificate

Can anybody share their experience about changing last name during interview @ Newark.

Is the marriage certificate from outside US (India in my case) is sufficient.

will it cause delays for the oath ? Not sure , if newark has judicial oath or administrative oath.

abc2009
Newark D/O
03/29/09:N-400 Application Mailed to Lewsville Lockbox.
04/01/09 :Notice Date.
05/06/09 :FP Appointment - Done.
06/04/09 :Interview Letter Recvd.
08/17/09 :Interview & Oath Scheduled.

Journey Over

Hi all,
Well, interview was today and all went well!

Arrived at 12.25pm at the Mount Laurel, NJ Office for a 12.55pm appt. Ample parking and very easy to find.

Handed in appointment letter and sat down to wait. At 12.55pm promptly I was called in (before my husband). The Officer was very nice. He had me stand for the oath to tell the truth. He asked me for my GC, DL and passport. Went through section by section of my application, very quickly. Asked me about a previous marriage, whether both of my kids were fathered by my husband. Didn't ask for any other documents. Said he wasn't interested in the speeding ticket.

Apologized for me having to do the English test (Im from the UK). He asked me to read the sentence "Who can vote?"
Asked me to write "Citizens can vote"

Questions for the Civics Test were if I remember rightly:

What group of people were taken to America to be sold as slaves?
Why did the Colonists fight the British?
Name of the VP?
How many Justices on the Supreme Court?
Who makes laws?
What Territory did the US purchase from the French?

He filled out a paper to say I had passed, then gave me an appt for the oath at 3.15pm

I was out by 1.05pm. Husband was called in at 1.15pm, he was out in similarly short fashion. He was quizzed on my previous marriage - he had a copy of my divorce decree absolute, that was fine. Hubby said they checked my app with his app, to make sure everything cross referenced.

Came back at 2.45pm for the oath. At 3.15pm the ceremony was very efficient but moving. The staff were all great, very kind and enthusiastic. I had a lump in my throat. We were all done by 3.45pm.

I can't believe it. We are all done. The endless hoop jumping culminates in a very pleasant way. I wish our whole journey had been as well executed as the citizenship interview and oath.

I'm going to get appts for the passport tomorrow.

Sending appointment vibes and good luck vibes to everyone still in the process. Keep the faith and may all your troubles be little ones.

Hi,
I got IL y'day and DO is Mt.Laurel. does Interview and Oath will be on same day or do I get oath letter after Interview Schedule?
Posting in this group again b'cos its Newark thread and hoping to get more responses.

I received interview letter for me and my wife today and documents asked for both are as follows:

Green card
Selective Service Registration
Passport

I Came to US on H1 in 2000 and i was 29 and then got employment based green card in 2004 and now i'm 38yr old.
I'm worried about 'Service Registration document'.

priority date: june 19,2009
FP july 18,2009 (as per schedule)
IL: 08/05/2009
ID: 09/10/09

Hi,
I got IL y'day and DO is Mt.Laurel. does Interview and Oath will be on same day or do I get oath letter after Interview Schedule?
Posting in this group again b'cos its Newark thread and hoping to get more responses.

I received interview letter for me and my wife today and documents asked for both are as follows:

Green card
Passport

I Came to US on H1 in 2000 and i was 29 and then got employment based green card in 2004 and now i'm 38yr old.

Wow! that was fast, ID within 3 months of application. Selective Service does not apply to you, but call USCIS, find out how they want you to respond. Let us know.

Hi,

Green card
Passport

Just ignore the Selective Service request. You will not be required to provide any proof of registration since you were not required to register. If you want, you can contact SSS and ask for what is called a "Status Information Letter" but, again, this would be going above and beyond the call of duty.

You could try putting your NBC* number on the online case status and see if you get "case is incomplete" instead of "case not found". If it is ("case imcomplete") you can add that number to your profile (it only allows when it si incomplete) and then you can see the last update date which means that they sent it on that day or day before. This was correct for both my and wife's cases and several others recently...hope that gives you a clue in your case too

Also, they won't give you any questions on the paper - they just read through the 10 questions one by one and you have to answer them verbally as soon as you answer 6 correctly they stop - just to clarify a little more :)
Have 2 questions that I would appreciate if someone will answer.

First I received the yellow paper 2 and half weeks ago and I still didn’t get the interview letter I am afraid they sent it but I never got it. Does it take longer than that? And is there a number where i can call and see if they sent the letter or not.

Second question is, how many question do they make on interview 6 and you have to get all 6 right or 10 question but you have to know at least 6.

Not that I didn’t learn the test but I am thinking for the worst since I panic under stress and situation as big as being a citizen of USA.

Any reply and help would be apreciated