Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Hi Folks
Looking at Prev Post for Newark/NJ, I think aveage timeframe is like 2 months to 2 1/2 months to get IL. Look like othe DO such as Baltimoe, New Orleans, Washington are doing at bette pace.
So friends wait around 2 - 2 1/2 month for IL, and then start worrying. My friends who got Citizenship says 5-6 month is avg time. few are Lucky, and few are bit unlucky. but on an aveage its is I gues 4-5 months
And remember we all went through a big tedious and long process for GC, so we can take this 5-6 months
So Enjoy you time, unless you are at point to get worried. You will be there.
Don't compare with other DO, they might have few appln

Just my 2 cents and opinion, I am not doing any stats analysis. SO guys don't bust me

Hi,

I have Monday the 27th as Interview date, so far I was asked to bring driver's license in yellow letter. Nothing unusual until now. Let's see how the interview goes.

Only issue is I have a 10 months old baby, not sure If it's a good idea to bring her, my wife and me have the same day, same time interview. Let's see.

Well, guys wish me luck and I will post my experience on Monday night or Tuesday morning. Will try to put in every detail I can. Because of the volunteers like you I feel confident and excited to be a US citizen.;)

Hi,

Wish you all the best. My timeline is similar to your with a few days offset. Interview on Aug 11th for myself and wife at 1:20PM. Nothing unusual about my case too. Working for the same company for 5 years after GC. Your interview will give me even more confidence.

Please do put in all the details. This is indeed a great site. Has helped countless people with advice, avoid mistakes, answer questions that are often repeated ones .....

Hi,

Wish you all the best. My timeline is similar to your with a few days offset. Interview on Aug 11th for myself and wife at 1:20PM. Nothing unusual about my case too. Working for the same company for 5 years after GC. Your interview will give me even more confidence.

Please do put in all the details. This is indeed a great site. Has helped countless people with advice, avoid mistakes, answer questions that are often repeated ones .....
Thank you BrokenArrow,

Well goodluck to you as well, don't forget to bring your marriage cert., a co-worker of mine had to delay that because he forgot to bring in.

Update: Finally citizen after second interview

Update: As I mentioned earlier, I had to go back to second interview to submit IRS account transcripts (the ones with account balances) as first interview IO demanded to see them. Second interview IO didnt get why the first IO requested them. Done with Oath and got Cert after few hours of wait at the Newark DO.

The Oath ceremony was inspiring. But was little disappointed when lady at the window refused to make copy of the Nat Cert after Oath even after the supervisor at the Oath said we can make copies. I guess nothing changes with USCIS. They cannot be customer oriented ever.

These forums and folks on here are very helpful. I am sure I will be back to these forums again and again for advice from time to time. Thank you all again.

I thought of hugging the IO at the end of the interview :) , but he was big, serious guy so skipped that step - just kidding, do not try this at your interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi FormerF1,

As you know my time line and your time line are kind of the same but for some reason yours went much faster i have done the finger prints on 06/20/09 and still haven't received any letter from them. See below my time line and yours Anyone has anyidea why the only difference that i see is that you are in New Orleans and i am in New Jersey could that be ????? Anyone any help or suggestion please let me know.

THIS IS ME
DO : NJ
05/19/2009: mailed N-400
05/20/2009: Received by Texas Center
05/20/2009: Priority Date
05/21/2009: Notice Date
05/26/2009: Check Cashed
05/28/2009: NOA received
06/05/2009: FP Notice Date
06/11/2009: FP Date
06/20/2009: FP Done
00/00/2009: Interview letter
00/00/2009: Interview Date
00/00/2009: Oath

It has to do with your individual case and the capacity of your DO. I am not sure what part of jersey is your district office is located but Newark has been moving pretty quick. New Orleans has been moving fast lately, all due to the effort to cut down the huge backlog specially after hurricane katrina.At its peak the NO office conducted as much as 100 interviews per week, and they even received USCIS award for this......

question about writing section of the test

How is writting test taken. Are we asked to read a sentence and then write it or officer will verbally speak and we have to listen it and Write.
Please advice

Time Line

05-12-2009 - N400 application send.
05-18-2009 - Confirmation letter received.
06-03-2009 - Finger print appointment letter
06-20-2009 - Finger Print commpleted(EliZabeth,NJ).

received interview reschedule notice two days before the original interview date

I posted this as a separate thread in this sub forum, posting the same message here as well.

My interview was originally scheduled for next Monday - July 27th, I was eagerly waiting for the big day, today I received a letter from USCIS rescheduling the interview for August 25th. Notice date on the reschedule letter was 07/23 (Thursday), post marked on 07/24 (Friday) and I received it on 07/25 (Saturday).

See how close the dates are, if they mailed it one more day latter, I would have showed up for the interview without knowing about this letter.

If anybody waiting for their interview on July 27th and received a similar letter please let me know.

I am really not that disappointed about the reschedule, but worried it could turn into a bigger problem, like missing A-file. Since they are giving me a new interview date as well (as opposed to just cancel the interview without a new date), I am guessing it could be a problem with lack of staff or over scheduling for that day.

Should I just show up for the interview and see what happens (maybe they can provide more details on the reason for rescheduling)? Or just wait and attend the interview on August 25th?

Any insights and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have no idea how this interview scheduling take place...my wife received her IL two weeks before me and her interview date is 09/25/09. No clue what so ever, even though our FP were done together on 06/18/09 in Elizabeth/NJ. My guess is there must be some cancellations in August i was a little lucky.

Received Yellow Letter Today

Time Line

05-12-2009 - N400 application send.
05-18-2009 - Confirmation letter received.
06-03-2009 - Finger print appointment letter
06-20-2009 - Finger Print commpleted(EliZabeth,NJ)
07-27-2009 - Yellow Letter Received.

Interview passed, US citizen, funny story!

Hi all, it's a weird but good day today! I had my interview, passed and then started waiting game which ended in 6hrs, finally took oath.

So, I am PROUD, FRUSTRATED, TIRED, HUNGRY, HAPPY, DIZZY USA citizen now as of 4 PM.

It all started at 7 PM, me and my wife took a car to RODINO building in NEWARK, reached there by 8:05 AM, the guard didn't let us in because we were to early. So waited in the cafetaria on 2nd floor.

Finally guard took us in at 8:30 AM, my wife had 9:20 AM as interview time so she had to wait outside for another 20 minutes.
So wifey came back in 20 minutes, joined me, now..I had 9:00 AM interview and wifey had 9:20 AM. I guess my officer was running bit late, because by 9:30 AM my wife was done with the interview, passed and now was waiting for the oath ceremony. On the other hand I was still waiting for interview...wait...wait....wait.....

Finally a lady called my name at 10:20 AM. She told me to follow her to her office. Here's the funny part, she told me to raise my hand for the oath, I was freaking out nervous, and I raised my hand for the oath as I knew from back home, she I guess didn't like it at all. She showed me how to raise the hand in an american way oath, but then I already lost my half of confidence. She said have you never taken any oath before, I said no...she said not even for the greencard? I said I don't remember. This oath is actually 'I swear to tell the truth' part.

She asked me for my Greencard, passports and license...didn't ask me for Selective Service Stuff.

She then started asking questions,
1) What are the two political parties in US?
2) President belongs to which party?
3) Who wrote the Declaration of Independance
4) What state borders Mexico
5) Three original colonies (states)
6) I think......One right only to Citizens...

I got all 6 right, now she started asking questions from the applications, verifying information. I again screwed up on my address....well...my mailing address is different from the township I pay taxes to, so I got this habit of telling tax township. She asked again and then I re-composed myself to tell her the right one.

She also asked me who sponsored my GC, I told her, now she was in interrogation mode, she said, then how come I didn't work for the same company till I got my GC, I said I got EAD and after 6 months I left them to work for another company. She confirmed if the nature of my job changed, I said no. Then she was okay with that. This was another screw up I was managed to get pass.

Finally she asked me if my wife was a citizen. I said, 'YES' (because she passed her interview and was in OATH already), she asked me again....then I realized that this was at the time of filling out the form...I said no and then she made a comment...how difficult was it to answer such question....there goes my third screw up.

By then I was already, almost certain that, the process will be either delayed or I screwed it up, but then the other part of my brain said.....dude, everything was okay!

She gave me the passed note and recommended for approval note, I said thank you and apologies I was too nervous. She didn't say anything. I guess she was used to people like me (overworked and overthought)

Well, then it took me another 3 hours to get the red book (the girl on the window will have you sign the naturalization certs and will give you the red book about the constitution and history), you are suppossed to take these books to oath.

The oath was at 2:30, it was good, some videos, oath, and then some videos again. The oath supervisor will try to cheer you up, she knows that people are tired, frustrated, hungry and just want to go home as soon as they get the cert.

So they give the first cert to the person from the militrary and then you line up untill your name is called, it was okay.

Once I had the cert. I just ran out to get the open air, called my sis and gave her the good news. Came home, logged on and typed this.

Well, the moral of my story is, do not get overexcited, overworked, overstressed over this, it's a very easy thing and you all deserve it and get it. With 90% confidence drained out of me, and I still got the citizenship. You get the point.

Thank you all of you and wish you all the best. Again do not think too much about it.

Logging off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: As I mentioned earlier, I had to go back to second interview to submit IRS account transcripts (the ones with account balances) as first interview IO demanded to see them. Second interview IO didnt get why the first IO requested them. Done with Oath and got Cert after few hours of wait at the Newark DO.

The Oath ceremony was inspiring. But was little disappointed when lady at the window refused to make copy of the Nat Cert after Oath even after the supervisor at the Oath said we can make copies. I guess nothing changes with USCIS. They cannot be customer oriented ever.

These forums and folks on here are very helpful. I am sure I will be back to these forums again and again for advice from time to time. Thank you all again.

I thought of hugging the IO at the end of the interview :) , but he was big, serious guy so skipped that step - just kidding, do not try this at your interview.

Congratulations, ABS! All's well that ends well. :) Enjoy your new status!

Hi all, it's a weird but good day today! I had my interview, passed and then started waiting game which ended in 6hrs, finally took oath.

So, I am PROUD, FRUSTRATED, TIRED, HUNGRY, HAPPY, DIZZY USA citizen now as of 4 PM.

It all started at 7 PM, me and my wife took a car to RODINO building in NEWARK, reached there by 8:05 AM, the guard didn't let us in because we were to early. So waited in the cafetaria on 2nd floor.

Finally guard took us in at 8:30 AM, my wife had 9:20 AM as interview time so she had to wait outside for another 20 minutes.
So wifey came back in 20 minutes, joined me, now..I had 9:00 AM interview and wifey had 9:20 AM. I guess my officer was running bit late, because by 9:30 AM my wife was done with the interview, passed and now was waiting for the oath ceremony. On the other hand I was still waiting for interview...wait...wait....wait.....

Finally a lady called my name at 10:20 AM. She told me to follow her to her office. Here's the funny part, she told me to raise my hand for the oath, I was freaking out nervous, and I raised my hand for the oath as I knew from back home, she I guess didn't like it at all. She showed me how to raise the hand in an american way oath, but then I already lost my half of confidence. She said have you never taken any oath before, I said no...she said not even for the greencard? I said I don't remember. This oath is actually 'I swear to tell the truth' part.

She asked me for my Greencard, passports and license...didn't ask me for Selective Service Stuff.

She then started asking questions,
1) What are the two political parties in US?
2) President belongs to which party?
3) Who wrote the Declaration of Independance
4) What state borders Mexico
5) Three original colonies (states)
6) I think......One right only to Citizens...

I got all 6 right, now she started asking questions from the applications, verifying information. I again screwed up on my address....well...my mailing address is different from the township I pay taxes to, so I got this habit of telling tax township. She asked again and then I re-composed myself to tell her the right one.

She also asked me who sponsored my GC, I told her, now she was in interrogation mode, she said, then how come I didn't work for the same company till I got my GC, I said I got EAD and after 6 months I left them to work for another company. She confirmed if the nature of my job changed, I said no. Then she was okay with that. This was another screw up I was managed to get pass.

Finally she asked me if my wife was a citizen. I said, 'YES' (because she passed her interview and was in OATH already), she asked me again....then I realized that this was at the time of filling out the form...I said no and then she made a comment...how difficult was it to answer such question....there goes my third screw up.

By then I was already, almost certain that, the process will be either delayed or I screwed it up, but then the other part of my brain said.....dude, everything was okay!

She gave me the passed note and recommended for approval note, I said thank you and apologies I was too nervous. She didn't say anything. I guess she was used to people like me (overworked and overthought)

Well, then it took me another 3 hours to get the red book (the girl on the window will have you sign the naturalization certs and will give you the red book about the constitution and history), you are suppossed to take these books to oath.

The oath was at 2:30, it was good, some videos, oath, and then some videos again. The oath supervisor will try to cheer you up, she knows that people are tired, frustrated, hungry and just want to go home as soon as they get the cert.

So they give the first cert to the person from the militrary and then you line up untill your name is called, it was okay.

Once I had the cert. I just ran out to get the open air, called my sis and gave her the good news. Came home, logged on and typed this.

Well, the moral of my story is, do not get overexcited, overworked, overstressed over this, it's a very easy thing and you all deserve it and get it. With 90% confidence drained out of me, and I still got the citizenship. You get the point.

Thank you all of you and wish you all the best. Again do not think too much about it.

Logging off.

congratulations

:)