Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Hi all, it's a weird but good day today! I had my interview, passed and then started waiting game which ended in 6hrs, finally took oath.

So, I am PROUD, FRUSTRATED, TIRED, HUNGRY, HAPPY, DIZZY USA citizen now as of 4 PM.

It all started at 7 PM, me and my wife took a car to RODINO building in NEWARK, reached there by 8:05 AM, the guard didn't let us in because we were to early. So waited in the cafetaria on 2nd floor.

Finally guard took us in at 8:30 AM, my wife had 9:20 AM as interview time so she had to wait outside for another 20 minutes.
So wifey came back in 20 minutes, joined me, now..I had 9:00 AM interview and wifey had 9:20 AM. I guess my officer was running bit late, because by 9:30 AM my wife was done with the interview, passed and now was waiting for the oath ceremony. On the other hand I was still waiting for interview...wait...wait....wait.....

Finally a lady called my name at 10:20 AM. She told me to follow her to her office. Here's the funny part, she told me to raise my hand for the oath, I was freaking out nervous, and I raised my hand for the oath as I knew from back home, she I guess didn't like it at all. She showed me how to raise the hand in an american way oath, but then I already lost my half of confidence. She said have you never taken any oath before, I said no...she said not even for the greencard? I said I don't remember. This oath is actually 'I swear to tell the truth' part.

She asked me for my Greencard, passports and license...didn't ask me for Selective Service Stuff.

She then started asking questions,
1) What are the two political parties in US?
2) President belongs to which party?
3) Who wrote the Declaration of Independance
4) What state borders Mexico
5) Three original colonies (states)
6) I think......One right only to Citizens...

I got all 6 right, now she started asking questions from the applications, verifying information. I again screwed up on my address....well...my mailing address is different from the township I pay taxes to, so I got this habit of telling tax township. She asked again and then I re-composed myself to tell her the right one.

She also asked me who sponsored my GC, I told her, now she was in interrogation mode, she said, then how come I didn't work for the same company till I got my GC, I said I got EAD and after 6 months I left them to work for another company. She confirmed if the nature of my job changed, I said no. Then she was okay with that. This was another screw up I was managed to get pass.

Finally she asked me if my wife was a citizen. I said, 'YES' (because she passed her interview and was in OATH already), she asked me again....then I realized that this was at the time of filling out the form...I said no and then she made a comment...how difficult was it to answer such question....there goes my third screw up.

By then I was already, almost certain that, the process will be either delayed or I screwed it up, but then the other part of my brain said.....dude, everything was okay!

She gave me the passed note and recommended for approval note, I said thank you and apologies I was too nervous. She didn't say anything. I guess she was used to people like me (overworked and overthought)

Well, then it took me another 3 hours to get the red book (the girl on the window will have you sign the naturalization certs and will give you the red book about the constitution and history), you are suppossed to take these books to oath.

The oath was at 2:30, it was good, some videos, oath, and then some videos again. The oath supervisor will try to cheer you up, she knows that people are tired, frustrated, hungry and just want to go home as soon as they get the cert.

So they give the first cert to the person from the militrary and then you line up untill your name is called, it was okay.

Once I had the cert. I just ran out to get the open air, called my sis and gave her the good news. Came home, logged on and typed this.

Well, the moral of my story is, do not get overexcited, overworked, overstressed over this, it's a very easy thing and you all deserve it and get it. With 90% confidence drained out of me, and I still got the citizenship. You get the point.

Thank you all of you and wish you all the best. Again do not think too much about it.

Logging off.

Congrats and from your timeline, I realized you were at the same Oath as I was. Cool. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, it's a weird but good day today! I had my interview, passed and then started waiting game which ended in 6hrs, finally took oath.

So, I am PROUD, FRUSTRATED, TIRED, HUNGRY, HAPPY, DIZZY USA citizen now as of 4 PM.

It all started at 7 PM, me and my wife took a car to RODINO building in NEWARK, reached there by 8:05 AM, the guard didn't let us in because we were to early. So waited in the cafetaria on 2nd floor.

Finally guard took us in at 8:30 AM, my wife had 9:20 AM as interview time so she had to wait outside for another 20 minutes.
So wifey came back in 20 minutes, joined me, now..I had 9:00 AM interview and wifey had 9:20 AM. I guess my officer was running bit late, because by 9:30 AM my wife was done with the interview, passed and now was waiting for the oath ceremony. On the other hand I was still waiting for interview...wait...wait....wait.....

Finally a lady called my name at 10:20 AM. She told me to follow her to her office. Here's the funny part, she told me to raise my hand for the oath, I was freaking out nervous, and I raised my hand for the oath as I knew from back home, she I guess didn't like it at all. She showed me how to raise the hand in an american way oath, but then I already lost my half of confidence. She said have you never taken any oath before, I said no...she said not even for the greencard? I said I don't remember. This oath is actually 'I swear to tell the truth' part.

She asked me for my Greencard, passports and license...didn't ask me for Selective Service Stuff.

She then started asking questions,
1) What are the two political parties in US?
2) President belongs to which party?
3) Who wrote the Declaration of Independance
4) What state borders Mexico
5) Three original colonies (states)
6) I think......One right only to Citizens...

I got all 6 right, now she started asking questions from the applications, verifying information. I again screwed up on my address....well...my mailing address is different from the township I pay taxes to, so I got this habit of telling tax township. She asked again and then I re-composed myself to tell her the right one.

She also asked me who sponsored my GC, I told her, now she was in interrogation mode, she said, then how come I didn't work for the same company till I got my GC, I said I got EAD and after 6 months I left them to work for another company. She confirmed if the nature of my job changed, I said no. Then she was okay with that. This was another screw up I was managed to get pass.

Finally she asked me if my wife was a citizen. I said, 'YES' (because she passed her interview and was in OATH already), she asked me again....then I realized that this was at the time of filling out the form...I said no and then she made a comment...how difficult was it to answer such question....there goes my third screw up.

By then I was already, almost certain that, the process will be either delayed or I screwed it up, but then the other part of my brain said.....dude, everything was okay!

She gave me the passed note and recommended for approval note, I said thank you and apologies I was too nervous. She didn't say anything. I guess she was used to people like me (overworked and overthought)

Well, then it took me another 3 hours to get the red book (the girl on the window will have you sign the naturalization certs and will give you the red book about the constitution and history), you are suppossed to take these books to oath.

The oath was at 2:30, it was good, some videos, oath, and then some videos again. The oath supervisor will try to cheer you up, she knows that people are tired, frustrated, hungry and just want to go home as soon as they get the cert.

So they give the first cert to the person from the militrary and then you line up untill your name is called, it was okay.

Once I had the cert. I just ran out to get the open air, called my sis and gave her the good news. Came home, logged on and typed this.

Well, the moral of my story is, do not get overexcited, overworked, overstressed over this, it's a very easy thing and you all deserve it and get it. With 90% confidence drained out of me, and I still got the citizenship. You get the point.

Thank you all of you and wish you all the best. Again do not think too much about it.

Logging off.

Congrats. Good that everything worked out. Looking forward for my interview in 2 weeks.

Thanks. Where did you park? Can we go out after the interview and return for the oath?

Well, I parked at the paid parking ($14/Day) just before the building. I am not sure if there's any parking in the Federal Building itself. Well, but parking is not an issue at all.

After the interview, you will be handed a form for the oath, the lady on the window will call your name after you come back from the interview, she will ask for that form, she'll also get the certs signed but will keep it to herself. Just ask her when's the oath and can you come back just before the oath. You will be fine.

Make sure after the interview your name is called again, do not go out before that.

There's cafetaria on the 2nd floor, it's pretty descent and cell phone will work from there, lots of space too.

Writting & Reading test

Well, I parked at the paid parking ($14/Day) just before the building. I am not sure if there's any parking in the Federal Building itself. Well, but parking is not an issue at all.

What about your writting and reading test? Please share with us

After the interview, you will be handed a form for the oath, the lady on the window will call your name after you come back from the interview, she will ask for that form, she'll also get the certs signed but will keep it to herself. Just ask her when's the oath and can you come back just before the oath. You will be fine.

Make sure after the interview your name is called again, do not go out before that.

There's cafetaria on the 2nd floor, it's pretty descent and cell phone will work from there, lots of space too.

Thanks for sharing the details. Really feel comfortable now.

What about your writting and reading test? Please share with us

Well it's trivial really, in my case she asked me to read, "who elects congress?" and then asked me to write "The president elects the congress.". Don't worry about this part at all. Good luck.

Finally my Citizenship Journey ended...

Interview passed and completed Oath on 7/31...

Reached Newark DO @ 12:30 for 1 PM appointment and waited till 1:25 to be called and back from Interview in under 5 minutes - it was very quick and easy ... don't even remember the face of my Interviewer as it was that quick :) - but she was very nice and do not have Serious face as other IO's I saw walking by at windows
As soon as I entered I was asked to do the 'Yes. I do' part and when I sat down asked when was my recent travel outside US - have not checked any of my passport stamps. Then, asked if I am ready to check application and zoooooomed through the application - when I told her about Traffic Tickets part - she said not required, except those!. Then, I was asked to sign the last page (2 signatures and 1 print full name).
Was asked to read 'Who was Abraham Lincoln?' and write 'Lincoln was president during civil war' (something similar to that :))
Then my 6 questions were:
One Longest River?
How many years we elect president for?
Speaker of the House?
Who lived before colonists?
First 10 amendments were called?
Declaration of Independence adopted on?

Then, was given two forms - one about Interview passed and ready for Oath and Oath letter and congratulated and asked to wait to be called in at a window to sign Naturalization Certificate......she told it is going to be atleast 40 minutes and waited...waited...waited...waited till 4PM
and took the Oath by 4:30 - it is a shortened version without Videos because of bad weather outside!

Finally US Citizen :D - now on Hunt to get my Passport (applied at Agency on 8/3 to be received on 8/4) and Indian Visa (hope to apply and get on 8/5) ready before my scheduled 8/7 travel

Thanks you all for the suggestions received and Good Luck to all in Waiting :)

Received Appointment Letter Today

Hi,

Today i had received my appointment letter.

Time Line

05-12-2009 - N400 application send.
05-18-2009 - Confirmation letter received.
06-03-2009 - Finger print appointment letter
06-20-2009 - Finger Print completed(EliZabeth,NJ)
07-27-2009 - Yellow Letter Received.
08-03-2009 - Appointment Letter Received.
09-21-2009 - Interview Date.

RDAUG2002, my dates are pretty close to yours....here are the details....

Received Yellow Letter Today (08/03)
06/03/2009: ND
06/05/2009: RD
07/07/2009: FP Completed at Elizabeth ASC

Hi

Have 2 questions that I would appreciate if someone will answer.

First I received the yellow paper 2 and half weeks ago and I still didn’t get the interview letter I am afraid they sent it but I never got it. Does it take longer than that? And is there a number where i can call and see if they sent the letter or not.

Second question is, how many question do they make on interview 6 and you have to get all 6 right or 10 question but you have to know at least 6.

Not that I didn’t learn the test but I am thinking for the worst since I panic under stress and situation as big as being a citizen of USA.

Any reply and help would be apreciated

Hi lbejta,

1) I think it is normal not to get the IL with in 2 week's of teh yellow letter. If you follow teh signatures of members on timelines, you can see some got IL 1 week after yellow letter while some got it after a month. So you can wait for now I guess.

2) You have to get 6 out of 10 right. If you get the first 6 right, they may not ask the rest of 4 but in few cases they may still ask all 10. Bottomline is you have to get 6 correct out of 10.

online status changes..

For those of you who are getting Yellow letters and interview calls. Is there any change in the online status message for you guys?

Thanks

Interview passed and completed Oath on 7/31...

Reached Newark DO @ 12:30 for 1 PM appointment and waited till 1:25 to be called and back from Interview in under 5 minutes - it was very quick and easy ... don't even remember the face of my Interviewer as it was that quick :) - but she was very nice and do not have Serious face as other IO's I saw walking by at windows
As soon as I entered I was asked to do the 'Yes. I do' part and when I sat down asked when was my recent travel outside US - have not checked any of my passport stamps. Then, asked if I am ready to check application and zoooooomed through the application - when I told her about Traffic Tickets part - she said not required, except those!. Then, I was asked to sign the last page (2 signatures and 1 print full name).
Was asked to read 'Who was Abraham Lincoln?' and write 'Lincoln was president during civil war' (something similar to that :))
Then my 6 questions were:
One Longest River?
How many years we elect president for?
Speaker of the House?
Who lived before colonists?
First 10 amendments were called?
Declaration of Independence adopted on?

Then, was given two forms - one about Interview passed and ready for Oath and Oath letter and congratulated and asked to wait to be called in at a window to sign Naturalization Certificate......she told it is going to be atleast 40 minutes and waited...waited...waited...waited till 4PM
and took the Oath by 4:30 - it is a shortened version without Videos because of bad weather outside!

Finally US Citizen :D - now on Hunt to get my Passport (applied at Agency on 8/3 to be received on 8/4) and Indian Visa (hope to apply and get on 8/5) ready before my scheduled 8/7 travel

Thanks you all for the suggestions received and Good Luck to all in Waiting :)

Congragulations! Enjoy your freedom and the trip abroad.