Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Applying for Citizenship on May 11th

got green card in August 2004. Will get Eligibility by to apply for citizenship by next week. I filled up paper work. Wondering any precautions to take.

Located: NJ

Go to court and show them that you have since got light repaired. The DA may be willing to drop charges and only have you pay court costs.
Although not required for such a minor ticket, you can obtain proof of payment and bring it to interview.

Thanks for the reply. I changed the bulbs yesterday and plan to go next week and try to get the charges dropped.

I had "not at fault" accident, a minor one back, in 2001. Another car bumped into me and the insurance company settled my damages, which was $1000. No ticket or anything but I have a copy of the police report. Should I have disclosed it on N400?

Another incident in 2003, where I backed into another car. The lady did not call the police, but exchanged info and said we can settle it between ourself. Later, she found that the damages were more then $500, so she filed a police report. She said there has to be a state record for the claims to be paid. My insurance company settled it (it was $900). I do not have a police report in hand nor was there any more correspondance regarding this, but I know where she filed the report. The insurance did not surcharge me as this was less then $1000.

Does these two incidents count as citation or any such thing? Please advise on what documents to collect?

Thanks and really appreciate your patience.

I am getting copy of my drivers record to see what is in there.

Thanks for the reply. I changed the bulbs yesterday and plan to go next week and try to get the charges dropped.

I had "not at fault" accident, a minor one back, in 2001. Another car bumped into me and the insurance company settled my damages, which was $1000. No ticket or anything but I have a copy of the police report. Should I have disclosed it on N400?

Another incident in 2003, where I backed into another car. The lady did not call the police, but exchanged info and said we can settle it between ourself. Later, she found that the damages were more then $500, so she filed a police report. She said there has to be a state record for the claims to be paid. My insurance company settled it (it was $900). I do not have a police report in hand nor was there any more correspondance regarding this, but I know where she filed the report. The insurance did not surcharge me as this was less then $1000.

Does these two incidents count as citation or any such thing? Please advise on what documents to collect?

Thanks and really appreciate your patience.

I am getting copy of my drivers record to see what is in there.

The two other incidents were not citations since no tickets were issued. No need to disclose traffic accidents that don't involve tickets. Filing a police report is not the same as receiving ticket.

FP done on 29th, Wednesday, the appointment was at 8 AM, we were little late like 8:20, but it wasn't an issue at all, smooth entry and smooth FP, the gave us the Citizenship test booklet + CD (Told us to share between me and my wife). It wasn't crowded at all, about 10/12 guys overall. The ordeal was over within 20 minutes. The staff is good at Elizabeth ASC. Goodluck guys.

requesting application contents..

FP done on 29th, Wednesday, the appointment was at 8 AM, we were little late like 8:20, but it wasn't an issue at all, smooth entry and smooth FP, the gave us the Citizenship test booklet + CD (Told us to share between me and my wife). It wasn't crowded at all, about 10/12 guys overall. The ordeal was over within 20 minutes. The staff is good at Elizabeth ASC. Goodluck guys.

Shakal,

Can you please post what all you included in your application?

Thanks

Sent N-400 on 04/27/2009

Newark:
04/27/2009: N-400 Application Mailed to Lewsville Lockbox
05/04/2009: Check cashed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Freenation, thomas 5, bobsmyth and others on the forum for your wishes and help. I had my interview this morning. Went really smooth. My Appt was for 8:40 AM. I got to Mt Laurel by 8 AM..I got called in by 8:30 AM. The officer was a really nice person, asked me for my passports, green card etc.(he asked me for my SS card and birth cert..I had my SS but nor birth cert, but he found a copy in his files very quickly so no issues: so my advise to others is take your SS card and brith certificate with you to the interview). Then asked me to write one sentence (extremely simple) and read one. After that he asked me six questions (got them all right): 1) Who is the speaker of house? 2) What are the first 10 amendments called? 3) who was here before Europeans? 4) when was declaration of independence signed? 5) longest river in US? and 6) how many years is a pesident elected for?. Then he went through the good moral character questions again. (I had mentioned in my application form that I had speeding tickets from 8-10 years ago). He asked if I paid all fines (I had proof with me but he did not ask for it). That was basically it..he said I can come back at 3 PM for my oath cermony. So overall great...Hopefully by 4 PM I wil be a proud American :). will post again later today with my oath experience

Heartiest Congrats to noginoypi and ASWNewark.....

Thanks a Lot for sharing your experiences. Please also share your passport processing and OCI card experiences (if applicable)
Congrats once again..

Finally - a US Citizen

Had mine and my wife's interview at the Newark office yesterday (May 6th). Was scheduled for 1 pm. We reached around 12:30 pm. Wife was called in at 1:05 pm and I was called in at 1:20 pm. Things went pretty smoothly.

The officer asked to see my Green Card, Driver's license and children's Birth Certificates. (As requested in the yellow notice). She went over the application with me and asked if anything had changed since the application was filed in January 2009. Told her about three additional trips I had taken outside the US. Had an updated copy of the trips...she took those. Then had the English languauge, history civics exams ...fairly simple and straightforward. Was congratulated by the officer and handed two papers - one as proof of passing the test and other for the oath ceremony at 4 pm.

She also told me that that there was a cafeteria on the 2nd floor (open until 2:30 pm) and if we wanted to go there we could do so ...but be back by 3:15 pm. So thats what we did.

Oath at 4 pm...game over !!

Don't think I will be visiting the forum as often now. Have been a regular visitor periodically (during my L-1 days, then the Green Card days in 2003-2004 and Now after 5 years). Have always found this forum to be very supportive and informative. You all members Rock !!

Good luck to everybody !

Cheers

feels good to be back in jersey! :) got my interview tomorrow! (finally!)....any last minute tips for me people?!?