Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Selective Services

Thanks genejock2008, for sharing your experience in detail.

In your post you mentioned that you had “letter from Selective Services”. Is it required? I entered the country after 26 years of age; do I have to get any letter for SS? If yes, how long does it take to get it?

Your timely response is appreciated, I still have 2 weeks.

It is basically a letter from Selective Services that states that you did not have to register. You send them proof of your non-immigrant status or entry post 26th birthday with the completed form (see thread re documentation for details). I sent the request in first week of Sep, recd the letter 2 days before my interview (Oct 16).

I don't think you will need the letter; the IO should accept the same proof that you send to Selective Services, as has been indicated my many others.

I got my Priority date yesterday, Now i have to wait for the finger prints notice, right?. Is this step also something i can do by droping by on wednesdays? I heard about this but i am not sure if I have even the right idea.

10/09/08: Applied N400 and sent it
10/14/08: USPS Confirmed Delivery
10/23/08: Check Cashed
10/31/08: Got Notice of Action (I-797C) in the mail
10/25/08: Notice Date
10/15/08: Received Date
10/15/08: Priority Date

--------: FP Notice Received
--------: FP Appointment
--------: Interview Letter Received
--------: Interview Date/Oath
--------: Got the Naturalization Certificate
--------: Passport (Book and Card) Application –
--------: Passport (Book) Received

Last edited by a moderator:
Done with..

Friends,

Applied on 06/27/08 [Application sent] and done with on 10/27/08

Interview went well :) and got the Citizenship [Me/Spouse].
Thanks for all the useful info here.

Appt time: 940am
Reached : 915am [Spouse 13th floor & mine 15th floor; but all in 15th today]
Room crowded with people. Hardly found a seat. Noisy and the names called from the windows by clerk was not clear.

Round 1: 2hours waiting to be called for Interview:rolleyes:
Mine Name called for Interview: 11:50am
Out of Interview: 12:00
Just asked 7 questions, which were all right and no more asked.
Was asked to right: She drove a yellow school bus
Basic questions from the application....Few NO's and couple of YES's questions
Spouse name called for Interview: 12:20
Out of Interview: 12:35
Was asked 10 questions and a sentence to write and few YES/NO questions

Round 2: 2 hours waiting for Naturalization Certificate/Oath:rolleyes:
Spouse name called:1:30
Mine Name called: 1:55
Oath : 2:00pm
Took about 15mintes, we were done.

Headed to SSN office and updated the status...New SSN to arrive in 2 weeks.
Took all the documents mentioned by Johnny Cash; but didn't have to open the file...

Jumping to Passport thread and then to OCI/PIO thread...Another journey.

NEWARK,NJ Center
06/27/08: Applied N400 and sent it
07/02/08: N-400 Mailed to VSC
07/05/08: USPS Confirmed Delivery
07/??/08: Check Cashed
07/18/08: Priority Date
07/18/08: Notice Date
??/??/08: NOA Received (I-797C)
07/24/08: FP Notice Received
08/09/08: FP Appointment
08/21/08: Interview Letter Received
10/27/08: Interview Date/Oath
10/27/08: Got the Naturalization Certificate
10/27/08: 10th floor SSN office; updated status
10/27/08: DIWALI
10/30/08: Applied for our passport.
11/08/08: PP received w/o Naturalization certificate

I got my Priority date yesterday, Now i have to wait for the finger prints notice, right?. Is this step also something i can do by droping by on wednesdays? I heard about this but i am not sure if I have even the right idea.
Most ASCs allow FP wall ins on Wednesdays and Saturday. If you can't make it to your originally scheduled FP, try going to your ASC for a walk in.

Most ASCs allow FP wall ins on Wednesdays and Saturday. If you can't make it to your originally scheduled FP, try going to your ASC for a walk in.

I was thinking to go early, than the date the FP notice will tell me, just for the sake of speeding up the process, but now that i think about it, I am not sure if i will endup causing delays, since the documents may not have been foward to that office yet.

where are the finger prints done generaly? ( i need to plan to make sure I get hours off work, so it will be nice to know before hand, how far I need to drive

I was thinking to go early, than the date the FP notice will tell me, just for the sake of speeding up the process, but now that i think about it, I am not sure if i will endup causing delays, since the documents may not have been foward to that office yet.

where are the finger prints done generaly? ( i need to plan to make sure I get hours off work, so it will be nice to know before hand, how far I need to drive

You can go before your scheduled appointment but you will have to wait for the appointment letter as you will need to take it with you and have it stamped as a receipt.

What days & times can u go for FP if u want to get it done early in Newark?

I am on Vacation for 3 weeks and my FP appt is during that time.

10/08/08: Applied N400 and sent it
10/11/08: USPS Confirmed Delivery
10/14/08: Check Cashed
10/14/08: Notice Date
10/22/08: Received Date
10/14/08: Priority Date
11/03/08: FP Notice Received
11/20/08: FP Appointment

DO: Newark Office
08/20/2008: N400 mailed (VSC)
08/21/2008: N400 recieved. Check cashed. Priority Date
08/28/2008: NOA recieved
09/04/2008: FP letter recieved
09/05/2008: FP completed. (walk-in)
10/30/2008: Case Disappeared Online
12/10/2008: Interview Scheduled

DO: Newark Office
08/20/2008: N400 mailed (VSC)
12/10/2008: Interview Scheduled

hi anijhawan,
Did you register on USCIS.GOV for automated email response when there is an activity on ur case? if YES, then did u received any email notification when your case is disappeared online?
thanks,

hi anijhawan,
Did you register on USCIS.GOV for automated email response when there is an activity on ur case? if YES, then did u received any email notification when your case is disappeared online?
thanks,

Hi,
No I didn't. I check my online status periodically. I was paranoid about being stuck in name check. So when I checked it on the 30th - it had disappeared. That's why I put that date down. When I called USCIS on the 3rd, they gave me my interview details by phone.

Unless, there are issues with any application - my view is that Newark's N400 timeline is close to 4 months.

take care

Hi,
No I didn't. I check my online status periodically. I was paranoid about being stuck in name check.
Unless, there are issues with any application - my view is that Newark's N400 timeline is close to 4 months.

take care

I am also very concern about Name check also. when you applied for a "Green card" did your case stuck in a name check for GC application? beause my GC application was stuck in a name check for 22 months. So it most likely that it will stuck again. how about urs?

I am also very concern about Name check also. when you applied for a "Green card" did your case stuck in a name check for GC application? beause my GC application was stuck in a name check for 22 months. So it most likely that it will stuck again. how about urs?

I don't think u should worry about name check, as i had similar timeline for my GC name check, but for my N400 everthing just took 2.5 months

I don't think u should worry about name check, as i had similar timeline for my GC name check, but for my N400 everthing just took 2.5 months

Thanks for sharing ur experience tarabab. I am sure their are thousnands of other people in the same boat as me and u. and ur feedback will show some hope..in their N-400 process. :)

Thanks for sharing ur experience tarabab. I am sure their are thousnands of other people in the same boat as me and u. and ur feedback will show some hope..in their N-400 process. :)

No problem man, i had my interview yesterday at Mt. Laurel, NJ office. I passes the test etc, but they did not give any decision :eek:

But my time line is as follows:

PD 8/15/08
FP notice: 8/27/08
FP Dated: 9/19/08 (Philly)
FP done (early walk in): 9/13/2008
IL: Never recd mail but got copy from Local USCIS office on 10/27/08
IL Date: 11/4/2008 (Mt. Laurel, NJ)
Interview Done: 11/4/08 and waiting for decision (may take more that 1 month)

No problem man, i had my interview yesterday at Mt. Laurel, NJ office. I passes the test etc, but they did not give any decision :eek:

IL: Never recd mail but got copy from Local USCIS office on 10/27/08
IL Date: 11/4/2008 (Mt. Laurel, NJ)
Interview Done: 11/4/08 and waiting for decision (may take more that 1 month)

did they give u any reason? how did u manage to get copy of IL just 5 working days before scheduled date? did u know that ur interview was scheduled before 10/27?

did they give u any reason? how did u manage to get copy of IL just 5 working days before scheduled date? did u know that ur interview was scheduled before 10/27?

Yes they said in 2006 while coming back i was stoped at JFK and was quesitons, which was on my file which they need to double check.
As for the letter, well I used to check my status on line on regular and it always showed same thing that my application has been recd etc. In october i check my status and there was error showing. I immediately called USCIS and the customer service agent computer showed my application was not present. So she transfer me to IO and he infromed me about my interview date and time and told me if i don't get letter within 14 days i should go to USCIS local office and get a copy of it, which i did.

Hi,
I did CP and not 485. I didnt have any name check issues. I read another poster's msg a while ago, which stated that resolutions of name checks that took a long time for the GC process are not taking as long for N 400. If I had to guess about you, Id say another two to three weeks and you should have your IL

Hi anijhawan,
I hope u r right..:)

tarabab,
thanks for sharing ur experience, i will keep an eye on my online status.

11/5/08 Newark Interview Experience for Spouse

Appointment time: 1:20pm. Arrived much earlier and went up to 15th floor. (Please turn off your cell phone) Lots of people are waiting inside. Drop the interview letter at Window 1 and was given one blue paper (interview preparation list) and one red paper (ask to choose old or new test). Please remember to bring a pen with you.

My spouse was called in at 1:50pm. There are three doors: door 1, door 2 and door 3. You have to listen carefully and pay attention. It sounds silly but do not confuse "window' with "door". I saw a guy who was called by IO to go to door 2 actually went to window 2. For interview, you always go to "doors", not "windows". While you are waiting, make sure you know the location of these three doors so once your name was called, you can quickly go to the right door.

Interview went smoothly with a nice officer and took only 10 minutes. Asked 10 simple civic questions (e.g. the color of the flag and who is the commander-in-chief etc. Did not ask to name the original 13 states or who is the author of the star spangled banner etc.:)). Go over the application very fast. Updated the travel date. IO asked who is the current employer and if it is the same as the GC sponsor. Asked if ever voted, arrested, failed to pay tax etc. IO did not ask for tax returns, employment letter, birth certificate, marriage certificate etc. Instructed to sign the photos and the oath letter. Got the paper checked with "recommend for approval" and the oath letter. IO asked to wait outside for the name to be called.

At about 3:30pm spouse name was called and went to a window to check and sign the naturalization certificate (a piece of nice paper with picture glued on it). Was given a red book and asked to wait again for oath.

At about 4:15pm asked to go to the short ceremony conducted by a USCIS supervisor. After that the certificate was handed out. Very exciting moment. You are allowed to take pictures only but not video taping so bring your camera. At about 4:30pm we left the building. At that time the SSN office (10th floor) was closed so did not update the status from PR to Citizenship. We asked the USCIS supervisor who conducted the oath ceremony if the update is necessary, she said NO. But anyway we plan to update it next time, but I do not think it is an urgent issue.

Spouse and kids are allowed to enter the waiting area at 15th floor.

I also noticed most lady applicants are dressed very formal (business suits etc.). About 50% guys also dressed formal. Only two or three wore jeans. Many IOs dressed formal (with tie).

I also noticed that not everyone who interviewed and passed (looks like) was given a same day oath. I think someone may be interviewed too late to attend the oath ceremony.

Good luck to you all and God bless America.