Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Hi Muku & Amann,

I had my FP done; it was relatively fast about 15 minutes.

However, my online status still has same message, did it change for you guys?

Any update on IL letter from you guys?

I never had my status online - also never received the NOA.

I called FBI to find out about FP and was told that FBI cleared it and send the results back that same day I FP back to USCIS.
I couldn't not find out anything about Name Check since FBI does not answer/entertain calls on that subject any more. Callers get a recorded message.

Called USCIS and an Asian lady answered my call and all she was willing to tell me was that all my FBI checks were complete and she doesn't know when my Interview will be scheduled.
Then she tried to pacify me by saying I am unnecessarily worried since it's just been little over a month since I filed the application and that I have a very good case and I should just be patient.

I am not sure if she was just trying to pacify me as she may be doing to other callers or was there merit to what I was told.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Muku & Amann,

I had my FP done; it was relatively fast about 15 minutes.

However, my online status still has same message, did it change for you guys?

Any update on IL letter from you guys?

Hi Sap283,

I never had a online status and never received NOA.

I got the Interview letter last thursday...it is dated June 26..I had the FP done on June 21...the interview is on the last week of August....

I had a minor issue with the case...I was late in filing a corporate state return due to a CPA error...I mentioned that in the application...if the interview letter has been generated 5 days after the FP, does it mean an IO has gone thru the application and then set up the interview date...

What does it mean when an Interview date is set up..does it mean all the background checks have been complete...(including the issue with the late filing of a corp tax return)

I got a standard letter (photocopy) along with the interview letter saying bring the GC, this letter etc...

It had no mention of bringing more documents to explain the late filing of the corp state returns...

is that a good sign...or I will know if this is an issue during the interview only...

LolaLi, Boatbod, other moderators...your inputs are always appreciated....

Thanks.

Hi Sap283,

I got the Interview letter last thursday...it is dated June 26..I had the FP done on June 21...the interview is on the last week of August....

I had a minor issue with the case...I was late in filing a corporate state return due to a CPA error...I mentioned that in the application...if the interview letter has been generated 5 days after the FP, does it mean an IO has gone thru the application and then set up the interview date...

What does it mean when an Interview date is set up..does it mean all the background checks have been complete...(including the issue with the late filing of a corp tax return)

I got a standard letter (photocopy) along with the interview letter saying bring the GC, this letter etc...

It had no mention of bringing more documents to explain the late filing of the corp state returns...

is that a good sign...or I will know if this is an issue during the interview only...

Thanks.

When it comes to tax returns, the USCIS is concerned with your PERSONAL taxes, not corporate taxes. If it makes you feel better, bring proof of payment to the interview. Make sure you mention to the IO that these were corporate taxes. It will not be an issue during the interview.

Also, IL receipt signifies completion of all background checks. As of May(?) 2007, the USCIS no longer schedules interviews unless the background checks have been completed.

Also, IL receipt signifies completion of all background checks. As of May(?) 2007, the USCIS no longer schedules interviews unless the background checks have been completed.

Does USCIS ever hold-off scheduling an interview if all the checks are complete?

Wondering about it since I was told by the Asian lady (specifying cause she didn't seem very comfortable expressing herself) that all checks are complete, but no date has been set for interview.

Does USCIS ever hold-off scheduling an interview if all the checks are complete?

Wondering about it since I was told by the Asian lady (specifying cause she didn't seem very comfortable expressing herself) that all checks are complete, but no date has been set for interview.

They hold off scheduling interviews all the time. For instance, my background checks were completed in January. My application was then placed in queue, where it remained for 5 months before an interview was scheduled. It all depends on how backlogged a DO is.

Hi Sap283,

Thanks.

Thanks Amann... I am excited about that 5 days turn-around time.

I hope I will be lucky like you :)

I never had my status online - also never received the NOA.

I called FBI to find out about FP and was told that FBI cleared it and send the results back that same day I FP back to USCIS.
I couldn't not find out anything about Name Check since FBI does not answer/entertain calls on that subject any more. Callers get a recorded message.

Called USCIS and an Asian lady answered my call and all she was willing to tell me was that all my FBI checks were complete and she doesn't know when my Interview will be scheduled.
Then she tried to pacify me by saying I am unnecessarily worried since it's just been little over a month since I filed the application and that I have a very good case and I should just be patient.

I am not sure if she was just trying to pacify me as she may be doing to other callers or was there merit to what I was told.

I forgot if you have already mention, but your DO is Newark as well?

So I called USCIS again today - was hoping I would get as lucky as amann. Guy with southern accent answered - said he does not see any update about my FP or name check on the system. This is contrary to what the last person I spoke to at USCIS told me. :mad: why can't they give proper information! Now I don't know what truly is the status. I am guessing it's still stuck in name check :(

So I called USCIS again today - was hoping I would get as lucky as amann. Guy with southern accent answered - said he does not see any update about my FP or name check on the system. This is contrary to what the last person I spoke to at USCIS told me. :mad: why can't they give proper information! Now I don't know what truly is the status. I am guessing it's still stuck in name check :(

I am going to call them may be Mon-Tue? What are the options(keys to be pressed 1,2 etc) to get to IO?

Any one have updates on status?

I called to CS, but couldn't get pass the rep. He didn't give me any status other than what’s on website, i.e. my NOA was mailed on XX date. He said that timeline is 13-15 months and you may not hear anything for few months :mad:. After that I didn’t even bother to ask him whether they have received my FP clearance or no.

You have any status Muku?

To get to IO you have to tell them or what?

I called to CS, but couldn't get pass the rep. He didn't give me any status other than what’s on website, i.e. my NOA was mailed on XX date. He said that timeline is 13-15 months and you may not hear anything for few months :mad:. After that I didn’t even bother to ask him whether they have received my FP clearance or no.

You have any status Muku?

To get to IO you have to tell them or what?

No Status yet... I got the same line - you are within the time line for your DO so why are you calling to inquire.

Looks like this may not get done by September - meaning wont be able to vote. :(:mad:

Amann got lucky - got the FP done and within a few days got the IL

This is my Info....Just logging it here to track my timeline.

NEWARK,NJ Center
07/02/08: N-400 Mailed to VSC
07/05/08: USPS Confirmed Delivery
07/??/08: Check Cashed
07/18/08: Priority Date
07/18/08: Notice Date

??/??/08: NOA Received (I-797C)
07/24/08: FP Notice Received
08/09/08: FP Appointment
??/??/??: Interview Letter
??/??/??: Interview Date
??/??/??: Oath Letter
??/??/??: Oath Date

received oath letter - Newark

Went for infopass on 07/25/2008. Was told that the second A file was already received at the office and has been reviewed by the IO and his supervisor.

schedule for oath ceremony on 08/22/08

Newark DO
11/26/07: Mailed N-400
02/06/08: FP done
03/28/08: called USCIS - informed me that Name check is cleared - in queue for interview letter
04/24/08: Rec'd interview letter
06/10/08: interview done - decision can not be made at this time
08/22/08: went for infopass, recevied print out of oath ceremony letter

My interview was scheduled at 8:40AM, and I finally got called in at 10:30AM. At app 10:50 I walked out, having to wait until 1:30PM for the Oath ceremony. So I became a citizen at 1:50PM!!!

Just a note: you go for your interview to the 13rd floor, then afterwards you have to go to the 15th floor and wait to be called. After you sign your naturalization certificate they will tell you where to go for the oath.

Also, don't park next to the federal building but across the street (as mentioned earlier in this thread). $10 all day.

Sharing my prior post to NJ folks

Hi all,

I've been a regular on this thread and I would like to share my interview experience to those who are preparing for their naturalization interview in Newark, NJ.
Hi all,

I just returned from my naturalization interview in Newark, NJ (July 30). My interview time was 7:40 am on the 13th floor. I waited for about two hours before my name was called by the IO assigned to me. He was a very pleasant guy, apologized for the late call. He then asked me to swear to tell the truth...etc. and asked for my Driver's license, passport and greencard.

Then he immediately asked about the countries I've been to for the last five years. His first question was, why I didn't list France among the countries I visited, while I had an entry stamp on my passport? I told him that I have a Schengen visa which allow you to travel to various countries in Europe and that the French entry stamp was my port of entry to go to Spain as my final destination. He said OK but admitted he has no idea about the schengen visa. I had 233 days of total travels distributed in 9 trips, with 68 days as the most number of days I was out of the US. No problem.

The next question is about my marriage, he asked for my marriage certificate, thanks to this forum I made a copy of it. But then I reminded him that my application is based on a 5 year employment GC. He said he just want to verify what is written on my N-400. I brought with me tax transcripts, bank statements, speeding ticket receipt, birth certificate and a lot more... IO didn't even bother to look at them.

Then, he asked me how long did I work for the employer who petitioned my GC :eek:. I said 1 1/2 years but left the employer 3 months after getting the GC to work for another company under the same capacity. No comment.

Then, he continued with the rest of the N-400 questionnaires and the history and civic questions + the English test.

In 10 minutes I was out of his office but waited for another hour to get the oath and the certificate. The IO sent me to 15th floor to surrender my GC and to sign my Certificate and to do the oath taking (11 am.). We were told that there will be 5 oath ceremonies in Newark today. All in all, it was a pleasant experience. I'm now applying for my passport. Thanks for all your help and assistance. Here's my timeline:

VSC/ Newark, NJ (DO)

Sent N-400 via Fedex- April 7, 2008
N-400 Received on - April 8, 2008
Check cashed- April 12, 2008
NOA received- April 21, 2008
PD- April 8, 2008
FP Notice received- April 25, 2008
FP- May 6, 2008 Done
June 2, 2008- My file disappeared online
June 7, 2008- received IL
Interview date- July 30, 2008 at 7:40 am (13th flr.)
Oath date- July 30, 2008 U.S citizen finally!