Application mailed - 5/23/08
Application received - 5/29/08
Priority date - 5/29/08
Notice date - 6/10/08
Notice received - 6/16/08
Fingerprint appt date - 6/28/08
Interview letter received -
Interview scheduled -

When did you receive the receipt notice? or you never got it and just got FP notice?

I am not sure about your notices, but I noticed something in my receipt notice. I can track my status online using receipt number mentioned on the notice, However I see another number on the lower left corner of my receipt which starts with ESC$00*******(I cant track this number online, yes it is $ sign not * asterisk). I wonder what this number this, just curious, if someone knows about it.

Sap283, I validated my number with the person I spoke with earlier today and it has an '*' after the ESC and it doesn't show up on USCIS site.

I also tried the '$' sign in place of the '*' sign and got the same result.

I guess they haven't uploaded my information online.

No, it's still online:
Receipt Number: ESC*xxxxxxxxx
Application Type: N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION
Current Status: Case received and pending.

My status is still online, even although I have received my letter a week ago. Should I be worried?

Dress code

Whoever went for the naturalization interview, can you pls advise what kind of dress code is most appropriate for the interview (for both gents and ladies) or what majority of them are wearing?

Thanks.

Newark Interview and Oath

I interviewed today and took oath. Now a US citizen.
Thanks to the encouragement and support from this group.
It was 10:20 appointment
Arrived at 10
Interviewed at 11
Name called and signed the certificate at 2:30pm (3.5 hours wait!)
Oath taken at 3pm; out of the office at 3:45

Questions were easy (out of the 96; need to name the NJ senators); bring something to read because there is plenty of time!
Don't use cell phone in the room!
Officers are friendly. Just too many people!
I will update more details. Feel free to post any questions and I will try to answer them.

Good luck to everyone
My timeline was posted before

All:

Finally it's over. Now a US CITIZEN.

Overal the entire interview process was very nice (except for the receptionist).

Followed many tips provided in this thread.

~parked across the building for 10$ all day
~reached interview location and handed the appointment letters for myself and my wife at about 1:20. We had lunch at the cafe before that. Food was cheaper than going out
~my wife was called first for interview after about 1 hour wait. her interview lasted under 10 minutes. civic and history from the 96 question from the website. written test.
~i was called for interview after about 2 hour wait. my interview lasted under about 20 minutes. civic and history from the 96 question from the website. written test. Computers were down thus it took 20 minutes else it would have been about 10 minutes
~both of us had to wait till about 545 to be called back to take the approvals to the oath location on 15th floor. ours was the last oath and had about 15 members. (Officials were very polite and stated they were doing this special oath so these 15 members dont have to make another trip. It was getting late so they skipped the video.

My tips: Never try to cut the officer while they are asking question. Wait, listen and respond to the questions. They are pretty normal and nice. I missed the first civic question and got the rest of them perfect.. was nervous for the first one.

There were couple of people waiting for the interview from 10AM and they got called at about 4 pm after talking to the supervisor. their files were left on officers desk who was on sick leave.. poor guys had to wait so long.. if you have to wait for more than 3 hours for your interview ask for the supervisor (they are very nice... receptionsit usuall give you bull** answers like you have to wait for your turn, etc)..

I have applied for the passport today 6/19

GOOD LUCK ALL

-------------------------------------------------
Newar, NJ Center
Application mailed - 12/26/2007 (USPS Priority)
Application received - 01/02/2008
Priority Date on Recipt - 01/02/2008
Finger Print request mail received 01/23/2008
Fingerprint appt date - 02/15/2008
Interview letter received - 04/24/2008
Interview scheduled (newark office) - 06/16/2008 140PM[/U][/B][/QUOTE]
CITIZEN!!!!

Hi Muku,

Did you get your FP notice?

Yes I got it in mail that same day... I got home and there it was with all the information I had been given earlier on the call. So, now I am not as stressed about it :p

I don't remember reading if you got your NOA or FP Notice. Did you get either or both yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturalized

I and my wife had our interview and oath today. I would like to thank the contributors to this forum which helped us a lot in preparing for the naturalization process. Below is our experience at Newark DO.

Appointment time: 9.40 AM

Parking: Parked on Court Street as suggested by many others ($10 all day).

Security check: Similar to airport check-in but don't have to take off shoes.

Sign-in : Dropped IL at Window #1 around 9.10.

Interviews: I was called around 10.15 AM and my wife was called 2.5 hours later (though we both gave our ILs at the same time).

Standard questions were asked. No surprises there. No inquiries about any driving record. I was asked about my longest stay outside of US. My wife had a change to her last name (changing from maiden name to my last name). The IO insisted it should have been changed at the time of marriage itself. Anyway he did okay the change.

Both our interviews last 10-15 mins. I felt the lady interview officers were taking longer time than the gents. Just my observation.

The waiting hall was little noisy and was difficult to hear the names being called (especially with pronunciation of our names being difficult for them). It will help if you try to pay attention to IOs calling the names and also which door # to enter. There are three doors (door #1 left of the windows and doors 2 and 3 to the right of the windows).

Surrendering GC: After the interviews were completed, names were being called for collecting GC and providing declaration of independence booklet. Initially the names were being called in the same order they were called for interview. But later, the order went haphazard and we didn't have a clue when our names get called.

Oath Ceremony: We are called for the 2.30 oath. They managed to call all the morning appointments for 2.30 oath which was good. Initially the collection of GCs was slow but they did a remarkable job at the end to complete all before 2.30 oath.

They also gave us passport application and voter registration along with naturalization certification which I thought was a good thing.

We didn't get a chance to go out for a bite until after the oath as I or my wife was waiting for next step and we didn't want to miss our turn when called. We didn't take our kids with us, fortunately. Some parents who came with kids had tough time. Cafeteria in the second floor is good for some soda, coffee or chips. There is a Dunkin Donuts right opposite the Court Street Parking Lot for Donut lovers.

Good luck to every one and thanks again for this great forum.

Hello All,

Got my citizenship today. Thanks to this board. It was very helpful. Because of the information from you guys only I could get mine cleared today.

Except two issues everything was routine like everyone here mentioned about their interviews.

1. He asked for my birth certificate beacuse of typo in name ( pls see my siggy)
2. Asked for two photos at the spot. He did not like the photos I sent along with applicaiton. Luckily I was prepared with this also.

All with suggestions and tips from you members.
Thanks again.

My interview appt time was 8:40am. Interview held at 9:30am. Oath 1:30pm.

Wrong date in PART 6A

Hi all,

I'm a bit uncomfortable going for my interview on July 30th because as I was re-reviewing my N-400 I've notice that in two occassions I inadvertenly put a wrong date in Part 6 A. referring to your residence and the date you moved to a specific address. On this two occasions, because of the 2 mistakes on dates, it created a picture now that while I was out of the country, I moved to another place, -because I wrote feb. 01(which is a mistake) as the date I moved while in reality I did not get back from vacation until feb. 9 of the same year. The same thing happens when I moved to this other place. I honestly don't remember the exact dates but I'm sure the move happened after I came back to the US. I intend to correct them during my interview. My question is, would the IO allow me to do such minor corrections or this will be a point against me and raise a red flag and say to me... you screwed up... case denied?:eek:

Your input is pretty much appreciated. Thanks.

My friend checked his N-400 application status on USCIS's web site but got the following message:
"Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Case Status Retrieval Failed
The status for this Receipt Number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center."

Does anyone know if this message means that USCIS's system is down or my friend's N-400 application has been approved? Can someone please check if you can check your case status online? Thanks.

Hi Sap283 and Muku,

I got fingerprinted on 06/21...I called the USCIS yesterday for a status update....and they mentioned that the interview letter has been mailed on 06/26....and that if I do not receive it within 2 weeks, I should call them so that they can generate a duplicate interview letter ( as i mentioned that i never received the NOA as it was lost in the mail)...

Since you guys had the FP done at the same time frame, you would be getting the IL soon...try calling USCIS and check your status....(say you never received NOA...that would transfer you to the IO)...

HTH.

Thanks.