Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Thanks Bobsmyth

I think file usually disappears, as soon as they are transferred to local office. BTW after how many days you were able to track it online. Also, does it start with EAC and then *?

There have been reported instances of the case file disappearing online as a signal that the file has been transfered to the local DO for interview.
My case file never appeared and still does not appear online since the online case system is not always updated or reliable.
As for receipt number, every service center issues different receipt numbers:
for example:
Vermont: EAC*
Texas:SSC*
California:NSC*

Mine appeared online right after they cashed the check; my ESC
# was written on my check and that's how I was able to check it online (then the NOA follows in the mail); and later on by exactly one month after I did my fingerprinting, my file disappeared online. And then comes the IL with a notice date of June 2, with a posting mark of June 5. I would assume each case is different.

-------------Here's my update:

VSC/ Newark, NJ (DO)

Sent N-400 via Fedex- April 7, 2008
N-400 Received on - April 8, 2008
Check cashed- April 12, 2008
NOA received- April 21, 2008
PD- April 8, 2008
FP Notice received- April 25, 2008
FP- May 6, 2008 Done
June 2, 2008- My file disappeared online
June 7, 2008- received IL
Interview date- July 30, 2008 at 7:40 am (13th flr.)
Oath date- July 30, 2008

Thanks vueNJ,

I can read my number from check image, but it is 12 digits not 13, so, I was asking what character(like * etc). BTW check shows ESC as a starting instead of EAC... I am surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview questions

Hi, I just found this NJ thread I am here in Newark area. I'd ask a favor from this knowledge pool. I received IL today scheduled in July (N400 received on 12/31/08, and FP was done in Feb, 2008). So, I need to prepare the civics test soon. Are the questions asked in the interview all from the sample questions listed on USCIS website? I found there are 96 qestions on the USCIS website, do I just need to learn those, in other words, does the interview office only ask 10 out of those 96?

Is there anything else I need to prepare (anything to bring besides the IL asked) when going to interview?

Many thanks,

Hi, I just found this NJ thread I am here in Newark area. I'd ask a favor from this knowledge pool. I received IL today scheduled in July (N400 received on 12/31/08, and FP was done in Feb, 2008). So, I need to prepare the civics test soon. Are the questions asked in the interview all from the sample questions listed on USCIS website? I found there are 96 qestions on the USCIS website, do I just need to learn those, in other words, does the interview office only ask 10 out of those 96?

Is there anything else I need to prepare (anything to bring besides the IL asked) when going to interview?

Many thanks,

Asked and answered in other thread
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=280463

My husband got his IL today. The online status disappeared.
Mine is still pending and waiting for IL. Anybody has idea what's going to happen to me? :confused:

Hopefully they won't keep me hanging for a long time.

-------------------------------------------
Husband:
PD- April 14, 2008
FP- May 13, 2008
IL Letter Received: June 7, 2008
Interview date- July 30, 2008 at Newark

Me:
PD- April 14, 2008
FP- May 13, 2008
IL Letter Received: still waiting
Interview date- still waiting
--------------------------------------------

Thanks vueNJ,

I can read my number from check image, but it is 12 digits not 13, so, I was asking what character(like * etc). BTW check shows ESC as a starting instead of EAC... I am surprised.

I entered ESC*00 plus the numbers appearing on my check.

Waiting too long?

I entered ESC*00 plus the numbers appearing on my check.

My check was cashed on 5/29 and since I haven't received the NOA or any communication from USCIS I wondering about the delay.

I had seen the check image a while back, but was confused about the 13 char vs. 12 char on the check. Today based on recommendations on this thread (this board is awesome!) , I tried sticking in the * and I got... nothing!
I realized that may be I was reading the number incorrectly... the two 7s in the number could be 9. So I tried the combinations of 7 and 9 and one combo worked and it came up with June 2, which kind of seems possible since USCIS cashed my check on May 29.

But it's been 11 days since they cashed my check and 7 days since the day they say they sent me the notice and I haven't received anything via USPS.

So, does it usually take that long for the NOA to get over in mail, or am I just anxious and it's normal to wait over 11 days?

If it's unusual and taking too long - meaning the notice could be lost in mail, should I do something - like reach out to USCIS or it's not a big deal and I should wait longer to see if I receive the notice for finger printing?

Hi Muku,

I am in the same boat...My check was encashed on 05/28...it has the ESC number on it....which does not work on the USCIS web site....Also, I have not received any notice / correspondence from them...as per the protocol, I will wait for 30 days before I call them....

HTH...

Update

Hi,

I called USCIS today...and they mentioned that the notice was sent out on 05/28...but since I have not received it, they said it would have been lost in the mail....and they will not be sending a duplicate notice...

They also mentioned that the FP letter has not been sent out yet...and that I need to wait for 30 days before calling to check the FP notice letter...(in case that also gets lost in the mail)...

Thanks.

Hi,

I called USCIS today...and they mentioned that the notice was sent out on 05/28...but since I have not received it, they said it would have been lost in the mail....and they will not be sending a duplicate notice...

They also mentioned that the FP letter has not been sent out yet...and that I need to wait for 30 days before calling to check the FP notice letter...(in case that also gets lost in the mail)...

Thanks.

Amann, thanks for the update - appreciate it.

When you say that they asked you to wait 30 days for the FP notice, I am guessing that means 30 days from when notice was sent out - that is in your case June 27?

Is it possible to go to the local DO and get figerprinted (without the FP notice) based on an assumption that your notice is lost?

Hi Muku,

yes...My understanding is that I need to wait 30 days from the date the notice was sent out...that would be June 27...

I am not sure if I can go the local DO and get fingerprinted...as they have not yet mailed the FP notice yet...the notice that was lost in the mail was the initial notice (NOA)....

If the FP notice also gets lost in the mail, then I believe, we can go to the local DO and get fingerprinted as we will be in the system then...

Thanks.

Hello All,

I attended the Naturalization Interview today June 10th at the Newark USCIS office. The officer went over application and asked a few questions.

And then, he went on to give the English, History and govt test. he asked me to write a simple sentence and then asked me about 6 questions, all of which were from the 96 questions on the USCIS web site.

After the interview, the officer handed me the N-652 form, which has the following boxes checked:

1. You have passed the tests of English and U.S History and Government.

And, the officer also checked the line which says:

B) A decision cannot yet be made about your application.

he noticed that I have a second A file. He will request he case file so that they can consolidate both them into one file. he also said, this is not out of the normal and they should receive the file in a couple of weeks after which they will mail me the decision letter.

I have never B1, L1 and H1 visa, I am on USA right from first day with family based green card and applied for N-400 after 5 years.

How is this possible, I thought everyone is supposed to have only one A file? Has anyone else heard of such an occurance? And, would anyone know potentially how long I would have to wait to hear from the USCIS?

thank you in advance for your help.

Newark DO
11/26/07: Mailed N-400
02/06/08: FP done
03/28/08: called USCIS - informed me that Name check is cleared - in queue for interview letter
04/24/08: Rec'd interview letter
06/10/08: interview done - decision can not be made at this time

Hi Muku,

yes...My understanding is that I need to wait 30 days from the date the notice was sent out...that would be June 27...
Thanks.

I think it’s unlikely that you will be fingerprinted, if you don’t have the appointment notice. However, I think if you have notice, you may go any week (same day as original scheduled day), until specified date in notice. You should check with customer service before going.

BTW I can read my number clearly on check image, and it was cleared on 06/05, but still no NOA or online status.

Amann - Do you see your status online?