Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Is Namecheck a separate component from the finger printing? I mean do the two happen together? On the application tracking, can you see if your application has gone to name check or fingerprint clearance, etc?

D.O. Newark, NJ
01/24/2007 Application sent to VCS via USPS registered mail
01/31/2007 Received/Priority Date
02/05/2007 Check cashed
02/12/2007 NOA - Application received mailed on 02/09/2007
02/15/2007 Received FP notice
02/22/2007 FP appt. and done

Appt. was at 3:00PM, I reached there at 2:00 and was done by 2:20PM:)

I was told that after FP, Newrk FP office gives booklet titled Quick Civics Lessons. I did not get that. Any one got this booklet?
Thanks

D.O. Newark, NJ
02/05/2007 Check cashed

I was told that after FP, Newrk FP office gives booklet titled Quick Civics Lessons. I did not get that. Any one got this booklet?
Thanks

Yes this Id like to know as well,

havegc you have the exact same timeline as me bar one week,
I shall keep looking for updates from you and I hope you from me,
If all goes according to our timelines tomorrow I "might" get my FP letter,

Finger (prints) crossed :p

D.O. Newark, NJ
02/05/2007 Check cashed

Thanks

Hi, I went for my finger print last week. My timeline is exactly a week ahead of yours. They gave this civics package when you are entering the waiting to room to get fingerprinted (after the lady at the desk looks at all your paperwork).
She probably forgot to give it to you but its basically has the pool of questions that you could be asked during your interview. You can get this information online so nothing to worry about it.

Got my Naturalization Certificate!

There is a parking place right behind the building. They charge $12.50 for the day. At the building entrance they have airport type security. I had to empty my pockets and take my jackets off. They did not make me take my shoes and belt off though. On getting to the 15th floor I was met by a security guard. She said that there was no seating available and that I should come back exactly at the time my interview was scheduled. It was scheduled for 1 PM and I had got there at 12:40 PM. I came down to the 2nd floor and seated myself comfortably in the cafeteria. Yes, there is a cafeteria, so you need not worry about getting hungry while being processed. I went back up exactly at 1 PM and was asked to go to window 1, where I dropped my appointment letter and took a seat. My name was called at 1:10 PM.

The officer was pleasant. He asked me for my Green Card and Passport. He punched in data from the Green Card into his computer. He did not even touch the Passport. Then he asked me some of the YES/NO questions from N-400, such as whether I was willing to take the oath, or if I had been ever arrested, etc. Then he asked me 5 history/civics questions, which were out of the sample questions (101) provided on the USCIS website. He then asked me to write "I live in New Jersey". He then congratulated me and said that my case was approved. He asked me to verify my name and address etc. After that he handed me a form that said that I had passed the test, and another form which was an appointment letter for the oath ceremony. We shook hands and I left. In all I was in there for 15 minutes.

I had plenty of time before my scheduled oath ceremony time of 2:30 PM, so I headed back to the 2nd floor cafeteria. They do not let you power on your cell phone on the 15th floor, and I wanted to use the cafeteria to call my family and share the good news. The signal is extremely bad in the whole building but I was still able to make the call. I went back up at exactly 2:30 PM and was asked to take a seat. At around 3 PM one officer got a bunch of files and started calling names. Slowly more officers opened more windows. By 4:30 PM there were 5 officers and they were still calling names. My name was called. I went to the window. They had the original certificate and a copy of the certificate. I was asked to verify my name, date of birth and other information on the certificate. Then I was asked to PRINT my name on the side of my picture on the certificate and on the certificate itself. I also surrendered my Green Card to the officer. I was given a blue slip that basically said that I was to wait for further instructions. At 4:30 PM they asked all of us waiting in the room to proceed to another room for the oath ceremony.

The oath ceremony lasted about 10 minutes. There were many friends and relatives in the room; some were taking pictures as well. I then wished that I should have brought relatives along. It was a happy moment for everyone. After the oath, we were finally handed the certificates.

My immigration journey, which started with a H1B a little over 7 years ago, is now over, but I will continue to deal with USCIS for the next several months. I am filing for my Mom's Green Card tomorrow!

I wish you all good luck!

Application sent: 10/19/2006
Application received by INS: 10/24/2006
PD: 10/24/2006
FP: 11/08/2006
ID: 2/26/2007
Oath Date: 2/26/2007
Naturalization Certificate handed to me: 2/26/2007

GC: 08/21/2000
Citizenship App Sent: 02/07/2007
App Recvd in INS: 02/09/2007
Priority Date: 02/09/2007
Recipt Rcvd by me: 02/22/2007
FP Date: 03/07/2007

When I sent the application, I paid it thru Cashier's Check. And the copies of the Green Card were sent both in color and black and white.
Mailed the application by certified mail with acknowledgement.

WOW,

Do you have any special reason your name check is taking almost a year?

and isnt there a 180 day limit or something?
If your name is a comman name then there are chances that it will take a long time to clear the name check.

When I sent the application, I paid it thru Cashier's Check. And the copies of the Green Card were sent both in color and black and white.
Mailed the application by certified mail with acknowledgement.

When did you get your FP notice?

I STILL haven't got mine! I called yesterday and she told me on the phone they have not scheduled me for fingerprints!

Also shes telling me that the 3-4 month start to finish process I have witnessed on this board and more rightly in this thread is untrue, She told me they were doing applications from June/July last year and if my date is Feb 07 then she said "you work that out", She told me its taking 8-12 months minimum and FBI checks take 3 months themselfs!

Now I didnt want to call her a liar, But by your timeline you applied after me and you have your fingerprint letter already,

My DO is Newark, and My last place I went for fingerprints is hackensack,

When did you get your FP notice?

My DO is Newark, and My last place I went for fingerprints is hackensack,

I hope you refer to GC fingerprint? Did you complete 5 years / 3years as requested in GC time? I would say for some people it gets delayed because they apply I-400 3 months before the eligibility time.

here below updated other dates.
~~~~~~~~

Recipt Notice Dt: 02/20/2007
FP Notice Date: 02/21/07
FP Notice recvd by me: 02/23/07

also is your DO Newark?
and where was your last fingerprints appt?

Mine is DO Newark for GC as well as Citizenship.

Reason for allowing to file before 90 days, Probably they want to have a upfront number to see how many are there in the pipeline.

StarScream,

You are not alone. I sent in my app on 2/1/07 and is still waiting for my finger print notice. I applied a couple months after the 5 year requirement is satisfied. I'm guessing it may be because I just moved to New Jersey last Oct.. I did wait three months before sening my app in. But I don't know how they would verify that I've been here for 90 days. The case status said that if I don't here from them within a year, I can call. This is frustrating.

BTW, I just checked the status online and it says that the case is still at Vermont Service Center location. Do I only get FP notice if it's been transfered to local? Can they do name check without FP done? Is this move going to cause me problems? I did send in my Address change but it may not have been within 10 days... Thanks.

I called just now and was suprised that I acturally got to speak with someone rather quickly. She told me that VSC requested my immigration files from the National Archive Center. They'd tried to schedule my FP for 2/28, which was yesterday. However because they have not received my files, they'd have to reschedule the FP depend upon when they'll receive my files and when Newark has availability. No processing can begin without them receiving my files first. I can call back in 30 - 45 days if I still don't receive my FP Notice. So the million dollar question is why it take much less time for some people's file to be retrieved rather quickly....

D.O. Newark, NJ

2/7/2007 Sent N-400 applications via USPS Priority Mail to VSC.
2/16/2007 Checks cashed
2/13/2007 Priority Date (web site indicates application received on 2/14/07)
3/1/2007 - Received NOA for Recipt, Priority Date mentioned 2/13/2007
3/1/2007 - NOA for fingerprints (received both NOAs on 3/1/2007)
3/9/2007 - Appt. for FP

citizenship interview

Hi all
I have a question, my interview is on april 5th @ Newark,NJ, and i need to know if the oath will be on the same day. i heared from friends that they interview people, but they do not let them take the oath on the same day.Is it something randomly or there are reasons for that. i am worry about my interview if they would not let me take the oath on the same day. Please let me know.
Thanks.