Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Interview

Hi all
I have my interview in Newark. 04/05/07 @9.00 am.
Does any one know if i will take the oath on the same day or no?. I know people that had the oath onn the same day and others who did not, they had to wait almost a year to get an oath letter, for no reason, please advise.
Thank you. :rolleyes:

I am also one of the unlucky one. My priority date is Nov. 13, 2006 and I still did not receive IL. I never have any criminal or driving record but I don't understand why I am stuck on Name Check for such so long. Mean while my friend who applied his N-400 in Jan. 2007 and already went through the interview process.
I am very frustrated and hope some one can give me an ideas how this process works.

A-File problem?

I still have not received my FP notice. I filed on 2/1/07. Did anyone hear about this A-File or what problem it causes people? Does everyone go through this? What can I do about it? Thanks.

dandan123,

I did go before my scheduled date for FP. My date was 3/9/07 morning
and I went on 3/8/07 in the afternoon. The ASC folks were not willing
to take me and they stated that the appointment was for 3/9/07.
After pleading with them for many minutes and mentioning that I had
a family emergency and had to fly out the next day, they eventually took
me in.
Of course the ASC was completely empty and I wondered why they
created such a fuss. But probably they have a policy on this.
So I would not recommend going before the FP date to Newark ASC
unless of course if you have an emergency and able to convince them.

I have received my interview letter!

07/26/06 : N-400 mailed to VSC
07/28/06 : N-400 VSC Priority Date
08/11/06 : FP NOA recvd
08/16/06 : FP Appointment
03/17/07 : Interview notice recvd
05/02/07 : Interview Appointment

Interview Letter received

My timeline
12/26/2006 : PD
02/10/2007 : FP
03/16/2007 : IL received
05/21/2007 : Interview + Oath

Status Update (N400 Applied on: 02/17/07)

My FP time was 1:00PM, entered into the bldg around 12:15PM. The person at the reception checked my FP notice and gave a form to fill. I've filled the form while waiting in the line. The line was not that long, I entered into the FP waiting room in about 10 mins. The person at the front desk (inside the waiting room) checked my FP notice, the completed form, and my GC, gave them back with a token. Asked me to wait until my number is called. I was called in about 30 mins, FP was taken. All was done in about an hour at the Newark DO.

Note: Public parking is available right next to the bldg on commerce st. I parked my car on the mulbery st parking lot.The cost is $16.00 for little more than 1 hr. This is expensive, next time I will try the one attached to the bldg on commerce st.

Hello,

Today my wife passed the interview and completed Oath at Newark.

She took only Passport, Green Card and Driving License as requested in the interview letter. She also took the Marriage certificate because we wanted to change last name. It turned out to be a wise decision as the interviewer asked for the Marriage Certificate when she told him about the name change.

Also, the interviewer asked for 2 passport size photos. Nowhere in the application or in the interview letter was this mentioned. We had some time between the interview and the oath. We went out and got the passport photos from an instance photo shop near the INS Newark office. The photos are needed for everybody.

My wife also asked the interviewer about my case (still no interview letter). He casually said "He still did not get it? Oh, he will get it in 2 to 3 weeks" ?!?! Without checking any computer. ?!?! I took that he was just guessing.

Applied 11/10
FP 11/30
Wife IL received 1/10
Wife Interview and Oath 3/21
My IL ??
My Interview and Oath ??

N-400 Address Query...

Hi All,

Thank you for all the inputs here.. I have a question regarding the mailing address in the N400 form..

I am applying for citizenship soon and I see on the N400 form there are 2 addresses.. 1. your present address 2. the mailing address

My lease for my apartment ends in June and they are not willing to extent it.. Which means I would need to update or chaneg my address in June..( i beleive this may delay the process again).

Can i give my friends address as the mailing address and put him as care of.. He is not planning to move for another year or so... Any issues or drawbacks on it? Anyone has any experience ? please advice..

Thanks ..

UC

Applied in July '06 haven't heard from CIS after FP

my time line is as follows

PD - 7/17/06.
FP - 8/5/06.
IL- ?????
ID - ????

I have an ifopass appointment for 3/23 @ 9:30 AM. This is really frustrating. I had an infopass appoinment on Dec 22nd. They wont even tell me if I am stuck in the infamous name check process. Even though the first infopass was a total waste of time, I am trying to exhaust all the avenues available to me before I can sue them. Please let me know if any one else is in the same boat. -Thnx,bhags

(NO)InfoPass

well folks, I just got back from my (no)infopass appointment. My appointment was at 9:30 and to my surprise I got to speak to the Immigration officer (?) on time. But as usual she did not have any new information for me. She looked into my file and told me that
1. They received my application on July 20th 2006 , but my recipt notice (i-797 NOA) has a priority date of 17th july.
2. My FP results where returned to VSC on the same day they were taken

And she said that she does not know why they have not scheduled my interview yet! So I asked her to see if I am stuck in the infamous namecheck process . So she dug deeper into my file :eek: and told me that "my file states that the FBI name check results have not been returned".

So she asked me to fax a letter to VSC and thats is it. she said "VSC needs to schedule the interview date and notify us. At this point I can't help you any further". The only good thing is atleast this lady was polite and quite apologetic that she could not help me any further.

Bhags,
I am in smilar situtaion. My FP was done on August 10, 2006 and results were returned the same day. After that I have made two infopass appointments and only 4 days back called and spoke with an immigration officer. Everytime I was told that my name check has not been completed. Would you please let me know the fax number of VSC and if possible a sample of the letter. Thank you very much.

well folks, I just got back from my (no)infopass appointment. My appointment was at 9:30 and to my surprise I got to speak to the Immigration officer (?) on time. But as usual she did not have any new information for me. She looked into my file and told me that
1. They received my application on July 20th 2006 , but my recipt notice (i-797 NOA) has a priority date of 17th july.
2. My FP results where returned to VSC on the same day they were taken

And she said that she does not know why they have not scheduled my interview yet! So I asked her to see if I am stuck in the infamous namecheck process . So she dug deeper into my file :eek: and told me that "my file states that the FBI name check results have not been returned".

So she asked me to fax a letter to VSC and thats is it. she said "VSC needs to schedule the interview date and notify us. At this point I can't help you any further". The only good thing is atleast this lady was polite and quite apologetic that she could not help me any further.

I went for my FP today, it was scheduled for 10 AM I went in by 9.15 was out by 10, parked on Mulberry Ave/St. paid $9.

Was asked for the FP notice and GC, was given a form to be filled up while standing in line.

My Timeline

Application Sent : First week of February
Notice Date : 02/09/2007
FP : 03/07/2007
FP Completed : Waiting for the interview letter.

I guess your FP was completed on 03/07/2007. Did your case status changed after FP done? I gave my FP a week ago, there is no update on my case status online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes my FP was completed on 03/07/2007. There is no change in the online case status. It still shows the same old message.