Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

D.O. Newark, NJ
01/24/2007 Application sent to VCS via USPS registered mail
01/31/2007 Received/Priority Date
02/05/2007 Check cashed
02/12/2007 NOA - Application received mailed on 02/09/2007

Quick update - my spouse passed the interview and took part in the oath ceremony and now is a US Citizen.

My infopass - Name check pending

It's done

Finally it is done and thanks to all you guys. Just found this forum one week ago and it has been very helpful.

Did a name change, ( all first, middle and last ) and it was a breeze. No problems at all. Otherwise the experience was nice ( as in the other posts ).

VSC - Newark D.O
Submission Date : 10/09/06
Priority Date : 10/12/06
FP Letter Recieved : 10/18/06
FP Date : 10/27/06
IL recieved Date: 12/12/06
Interview Date : 02/12/07

itsAbreeze said:
Finally it is done and thanks to all you guys. Just found this forum one week ago and it has been very helpful.

Did a name change, ( all first, middle and last ) and it was a breeze. No problems at all. Otherwise the experience was nice ( as in the other posts ).

VSC - Newark D.O

Congrats. Can you post your name change experience please, like could you take oath on same day, or any delay in having oath date etc..

Thanks

itsAbreeze said:

VSC - Newark D.O

Did you request a Name change when you applied or did you request it at the time of interview ?

Please post your experience.

Thanks.

Im going to have my interview at newark too

Just so we have real people who have been through it on this board,
Can anyone here enlighten us "applicants" exactly what to expect at the interview?

What sort of things do they ask you? is there any curveball questions they ask?
anything you brought with you as proof that was asked for but not on any of the forms?

Veeyen,

While filling up N-400 I had indicated that I wanted a name change on the form. It is somewhere near the first few items on the form. I am not sure if one could elect to change name during the interview, but I guess one could decline it during the interview ( read more below).

At the interview, the officer saw this and asked me if I wanted to change my name. I said yes. Then he told me, " Do you realize that if you change your name today, you would be doing so leaglly and you would be responsible for changing it in the SS, with your employer, driver's license etc?". I said yes. He entered all my answers on the computer and handed me a form with my old name, address, date of birth and new name. Had to sign it, then and there.

After the interview was over, had to wait for the oath ceremony. After the oath, I received two sheets of paper. 1) certificate of citizenship 2) petition for name change (signed earlier during the interview) . This had now the stamp of the district court clerk who had certified it.

The two items together would provide the name change and citizenship.

Went to SSA today and they looked at both the papers and changed my name. Now my fun begins. Have to change it in a zillion places. :)

My Situation

I applied in June 2006, and recieved the interview letter recently. I know some people might be on the same boat, so just want to let you know.

Here is my timeline for N400

PD: 6/15/2006
FP: 7/7/2006
IL Recieved on: 2/10/2007
ID: 3/26/2007

Interview is in Mount Laurel, NJ (Cherry Hill).

Does oath and interview at Mount Laurel take place on the same day? If not, after how many days oath takes place and where?

It would be great if someone can post their interview and oath experience at Mount Laurel, NJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
rakesh14 said:
I applied in June 2006, and recieved the interview letter recently. I know some people might be on the same boat, so just want to let you know.

IL Recieved on: 1/10/2007

Does oath and interview at Mount Laurel take place on the same day? If not, after how many days oath takes place and where?

It would be great if someone can post their interview and oath experience at Mount Laurel, NJ.

Rakesh Congratulations. My PD is 7/17 after seeing your post I think I can have some hope too. Good luck at the interview

rakesh14 said:

IL Recieved on: 1/10/2007

CORRECTION:

I recieved interview letter on Feb 10th 2007.

D.O. Newark, NJ
01/24/2007 Application sent to VCS via USPS registered mail
01/31/2007 Received/Priority Date
02/05/2007 Check cashed
02/12/2007 NOA - Application received mailed on 02/09/2007
02/15/2007 Received FP notice
02/22/2007 FP appt.

D.O. Newark, NJ

2/7/2007 Sent N-400 applications via USPS Priority Mail to VSC.
2/16/2007 Checks cashed
2/14/2007 Priority Date (this is per ESC number on cancelled check) (ESC*00XXXXXXX)

Last edited by a moderator:
Citizenship done...

N400 Mailed : 10-Oct-06
N400 Receipt : 13-Oct-06
FP Notice : 13-Oct-06
FP Appointment : 31-Oct-06
Interview Letter : 12-Dec-06
Interview Appointment : 13-Feb-07
Oath : 13-Feb-07

Anybody who applied around july 15th 2006.....

Anybody who has applied around July 15th 2006, if you have received an interview letter lately(in jan or feb 2007), could you please post an update? - Thanks

Update

Thanks for everyone who posted responses to their case dates and status. Here is a bit of update of my own -

2/1 N400 mailed via USPS priority mail
2/5 priority date
2/6 check cashed
2/17 NOA received
FP notice?
IL ?

N-400

Nilgiri Hills, my timelines is same as yours (so far), but am in the Washington D.O. Looks like they do the initial case procession in bunches. Good luck.

People with interview and oath in Newark

Folks,
I have my interview set for 1 PM at Newark. Does the oath happen on the same day? I am asking specifically because since the interview is in the afternoon (and not morning) will that leave enough time to do the oath on the same day?

Thanks

I received my NOA today for the receipt of my application and showing my priority date,

Ive updates my Sig, Also if anyone for the Newark office with the same time schedule as myself wishes to communicate with me with your time line please feel free to,

My situation is as follows,

British citizen, Married an American Girl, had green card for 3 years minus the 90 days as of 2/3/07, Sent application 2/4/07
Current status in sig :)

Congratulations!

Im going to have my interview at newark too

Just so we have real people who have been through it on this board,
Can anyone here enlighten us "applicants" exactly what to expect at the interview?

What sort of things do they ask you? is there any curveball questions they ask?
anything you brought with you as proof that was asked for but not on any of the forms?

Thanks you for the update. Even I see some hope now. I sent my N400 application last April. Still no interview notice.

Congratulations!

Thanks you for the update. Even I see some hope now. I sent my N400 application last April. Still no interview notice.

Congratulations!

WOW,

Do you have any special reason your name check is taking almost a year?

and isnt there a 180 day limit or something?