Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Received Interview Letter

Received the interview letter today . VSC / Newark seems to have really sped up the processing

Vasu

Priority date – 10/11/2005
FP date - 12/21/2005
Interview date 04/25/2006 (received notice on 02/17/2006)

Xkuger said:
Today I had some time and decided to call the FBI to check the status of my Fingerpints.

I was pleasently suprised to know that the FBI had recieved my finger prints electronically the same day that I had them taken at Newark and even more suprising was that they had eletronically cleared them in 1 Minuite... Wow

The customer service person was quoting the time it was recieved and the time NCIS was informed that it was cleared.

Does this mean that I am off the Name check Loop? Or that a different process?

Xkuger: Fingerprint check and name check are two separate processes, fingerprint check complete does not mean that your name check is complete as well.

svasudev: congrats on your interview letter. Looks like Newark DO processing time has been reduced to 6-7 months from 8 months.

US Passport

After became citizen on Feb. 8, I applied US Passport by expedite service at County Clerk's Office on Feb. 9 and just got it today.
Timeline was;

Passport Apply: Feb. 9, 2006
Check Cashed : Feb. 14, 2006
Issue Date : Feb. 15, 2006
Received : Feb. 18, 2006

My concern was the original Certificate to be folded since I saw some comments that some people received folded Certificate with passport. But, mine came back in good shape without folding.

By the way, I checked the status several times thorugh web site, but it never came up even this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Passed the interview test, but stuck with two "A" files

All,
We had our interview at Newark DO yesterday and my wife passed the test and took the oath, but I was told that there are two A files for me and they need to request second A file to make a decision. I was given form N-652 with "Decision can not be made" check box.

We were scheduled for 1PM and got there around 12:30PM. My wife was called around 2:30PM and was out in 20 minutes. I was called in around 3PM and the interview lasted for 15 minutes or so. The lady verified the information on the N-400 form and asked 6 history questions. The questions were:
- What is the constitution?
- Who makes the law?
- What are the duties of Supreme Court?
- Who was the president during civil war?
- What is intro to constitution called?
- When was the constitution written?

Then I was asked to write a simple english statement, which was not a big deal.

Now the interesting part began... She looked the section where I mentioned the traffic tickets and started asking questions regarding the tickets. I told her that these are all simple traffic voilations e.g. speeding etc. and none of these tickets involved DUI, accident or anything like that. She asked me show the court disposition papers for each ticket and I told her that I do not have it as I was not aware that I need to bring those docs. Also, some of the tickets are more than 10 years old and I do not have any documentation on it. I showed her the receipts of payment for recent tickets, but she wanted to see the official court records.

At the end of the interview I was also told that there are 2 "A" files and she needs to request other A file before she can make a decision.

At the end I was asked to mail her court papers for all the tickets and given N-652 with "Decision can not be made" check box.

I am not sure if my case was one off situtaion where they asked for details on traffic voilations or something new?

Also, I did CP for my green card and did not file I-485 at all so I am having trouble understanding how could there be 2 A files for me.

Anyways.... now I need to work on getting those court records (most of which would be no records as the tickets were long time ago) and send to them and then my wait begins....

Good Luck

Very sad to hear Dear. I think you are the first one to get stuck under traffic violations. Some court houses in Central NJ dont even give official disposition. They give only payment receipt based on my friend's experience. That too if you pay online, it is only proof of payment page that you take a print out of.

With reg to two A files, I saw another thread of a person belonging to San Jose DO who also had the same problem. He too did CP. But did you had OPT from ur F1 days. :(

anand74 said:
Very sad to hear Dear. I think you are the first one to get stuck under traffic violations. Some court houses in Central NJ dont even give official disposition. They give only payment receipt based on my friend's experience. That too if you pay online, it is only proof of payment page that you take a print out of.

With reg to two A files, I saw another thread of a person belonging to San Jose DO who also had the same problem. He too did CP. But did you had OPT from ur F1 days. :(

Thanks Anand74. That's what the problem is, most of the tickets I got are very old dating back to 1994 and I called one of NJ courts to ask for official disposition for a ticket I got in 1999 and they said they don't keep records for that long in the system. But the interviewing officer told me that if they don't have any records then a letter from the court saying the record does not exist would be good enough. I will need to start calling all these courts today.

Yes, I did have OPT during my F-1 days and then switched to H-1B later on. I did not know that having opted for practical training would result in 2 A files?? :confused:

Deer, I'm sorry to hear your case.
I have no clue about two A#'s case, but I hope your case will be going well after word.

I applied Jan 23rd. Havent got the FP notice yet. I am filing based on a 3 year marriage to a USC. Do these cases take longer to get FP'd??

I am saything because JamalGotta got his FP done within a month of application!

Any ideas? TIA.

luveks said:
Deer, I'm sorry to hear your case.
I have no clue about two A#'s case, but I hope your case will be going well after word.

Thanks luveks. Hopefully it should be over in next couple of months or so.

For all who have mentioned traffic tickets on N-400, my advice would be to get certified copies of court dispositions for all the tickets and take them with you for interview. There is a chance that the officer may not ask for it, but if he/she does, you will be prepared. My wife was also asked about the traffic tickets, she had only 1 ticket and she had a copy of the receipt and original ticket with her. The officer did ask her to see the receipt and ticket and also asked her details (e.g. what happened, did you go to court etc.)

It could be just a coincidence for us that both officers asked us (myself and wife) about the tickets but I'd recommend all of you to go there prepared so you could save time and energy and get done in one shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm

how many tickets did you have and in how many years ?

I have about 10-12 tickets in 12 years and my interview is coming up in a couple months. i don't have details about the older ones and it would be impossible to get any court certified docs either as most of the tickets were in small towns in the middle of nowhere - places which keep only paper records
i do think I can find all the cancelled cheques for all the tickets - wonder if that would be sufficient ...

vasu
PD - 10/11/2005
ID - 04/25/2006

application based on marriage to USC

futcitizen,

I don't think applications based on marriage to USC take longer for FP or anything else.
My N-400 app is based on marriage to USC (applied 4.25 years after GC) and my GC was employment based and the timeline is as below

Vasu
Newark DO
PD 10/11/2005
FP 12/22/2005 (Hackensack)
ID 04/25/2006

Certified Court Disposition

Deer
What is certified court disposition. Some Muni courts (not all) give court disposition with their seal stamped or embossed. Does certified mean we take that to a Notary and get it notarised.

svasudev said:
how many tickets did you have and in how many years ?

I had 6 tickets in past 15 years. I did not remember all the locations, dates etc either, I just took a wild guess today and googled for municipal courts for the areas where I igot the tickets and luckily I found all the courts where I need the docs from.

anand74 said:
Deer
What is certified court disposition. Some Muni courts (not all) give court disposition with their seal stamped or embossed. Does certified mean we take that to a Notary and get it notarised.

The court can provide you a certified copy of the disposition. I just called all the courts today and some are mailing it to me in a day or so, others are asking for $4 or $5 for a certified copy. You will have to specifically ask for a certified copy, else they just provide you a printout.

how do you check with FBI?

Xkuger said:
Today I had some time and decided to call the FBI to check the status of my Fingerpints.

I was pleasently suprised to know that the FBI had recieved my finger prints electronically the same day that I had them taken at Newark and even more suprising was that they had eletronically cleared them in 1 Minuite... Wow

Hello Xkuger,

can you please tell me how to check fingerprint status with the FBI? What number did you call? Do you just say that you've filed for naturalization and are calling to check on the FP status?

Thanks,
sam