Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Finally, I had my interview and oath done today. The long long journey is finally done after a long waiting.

No surprise on interview. All the questions asked are from the "Learn About the United States: Quick Civics Lessons" handed out at that time in the immigration office when I did my finger print. I did prepare more history knowledge but later found it is not necessary. It is clearly stated on the first page on the "Quick Civics Lessons" that "you will not be tested on the additional info. in the short lessons. Only need to focus on the Q & A. The knowledge under each answer is not even touched at all.

The questions asked:
1. Name the 2 Senates of your state
2. Who is the current President
3. What are the two political parties in the US
4. What is the Constitution
5. How many full terms can a President serve?
6. What are the three branches of our government
7. Who makes the Federal laws in the US?
8. What do we call changes to the constitution?
9. Who was the President during the Civil War?
10. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called?

The English listening and writing is very easy.

Originally, before the interview I was worried, because I was stucked in FBI name check for 8 months and finally I received the Iterview Letter in April. But I also found my online status on the USCIS web site does not disappear before receiving the Interview Letter as what most people discribed.

Fortunately, everyting just turned out fine and smoothly.

08/08/2006 Application sent to VSC
08/10/2006 Priority Date
08/17/2006 NOA
08/21/2006 FP Notice received
08/30/2006 FP done
04/23/2007 IL received
07/09/2007 Interview Date. Oath. Certificate of Naturalization received.

congrats

Yishin.

Congrats. all is well that ends well:)

did they ask you anything about how long you stayed with employer after greencard etc? anything on speeding tickets(if you had any)

Thanks in advance

Yishin.

Congrats. all is well that ends well:)

did they ask you anything about how long you stayed with employer after greencard etc? anything on speeding tickets(if you had any)

Thanks in advance

The officer did ask me whether I am currently employeed or not but he did not ask any question regarding to the employment after green card.

Also, the officer did ask whether I have been arrested, charged by police or not. If the answer is not, you are ok. Otherwise you will need to get some documents from the court.

The appearance in the court to defense a traffic violation ticket to get some breaks with lower fine does not count unless you were charged and required to present to the court.

court appearance

Hi,

I had 2 tickets so far
1. speeding 70 on 40 for which court appearance was required..I paid fine.(no DUI etc).
2. speeding 40 on 25 (I went in to reduce fine) paid fine

I got court dispositions for both.

so is my answer yes or no for court appearances?(for point 1)

Thanks

Maz,
I am in the same sitution as you are in. My FP was done on 8/10/06. Afer that that everytime I enquired through Infopass or otherwise, I have been told that my background check has not been completed. The worst thing about it is that nobody can tell how long more it will take. I will be glad if it's done by July of 2008.

Car Parking at Newark

I noticed several parking lots near the INS bldg but ended up paying $15.00 for little more than an hr parking last time when I went for FP. Now, that I'm going for interview and expect to be there for half a day. I wonder whether I could find a less expensive parking lot nearby.

Pls., indicate the street name & cost.

Thank You,

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed several parking lots near the INS bldg but ended up paying $15.00 for little more than an hr parking last time when I went for FP. Now, that I'm going for interview and expect to be there for half a day. I wonder whether I could find a less expensive parking lot nearby.

Pls., indicate the street name & cost.

Thank You,

PSamy:

I parked on the roadside of the Walnut St. It is free! It takes only about 5 mins walk or 2 blocks to the Federal Buliding.

Take Rt. 21 south (McCarter HWY, if you come down from I-78), and turn left onto Walnut street. Once you turn, you can start looking for parking space. During the day time, it should be not that unsafe to park on the street. I had done that couple of times already.

Newark time line N400

Application mail date : 06/21/07
Application Reached : 06/22/07
Check Cashed : 07/03/07
Notice of action and FP notice received on 07/13/07
Priority Date : 07/22/07
Notice of Action Date : 07/09/07
FP Schedule Date : 07/28/2007

my timeline

N- 400 Application based on 3 years continuous LPR , married with US citizen ( less 90 days)
Application Mail Date: 7/10/07
Application Reached : 7/11/07
Check Cashed:??????????
Notice of Action and FP notice received: ????????????
Priority Date:????????????
FP Schedule Date:??????????

Application mail date : 06/21/07

Application Reached : 06/22/07
Check Cashed : 07/03/07
Notice of action and FP notice received on 07/13/07
Priority Date : 07/22/07
Notice of Action Date : 07/09/07
FP Schedule Date : 07/28/2007

06/05/2007 Application sent to VSC
06/08/2007 Priority Date
06/14/2007 Check Cashed
06/18/2007 NOA received
06/22/2007 FP Notice received
07/13/2007 FP done

Update....

Hi,

I had my Infopass last week.. The status I got was it is on queue for Interview. They said the FP and the name check results have come back and it is now in queue for interview...

Also asked to have another Infopass if I do not hear back anything by end of August...

So hopefully we will start hearing soon of IL for March PD's

My details are

Application sent - April 26
Notice for FP - May 13th
Finger Printing - May 30th

The last Interview date so far in the forum is August 15th or so.. If anyone has received any new ID.. please post the info...

Hey guys,
I am waiting for my IL but no luck. I have to plan my travel based on interview date. Has anybody with same date range got ILs? My fingerprints were sent to INS on the same day 5/18/2007.

4/11/2007 Sent N-400 applications via regualar mail to VSC.
4/18/2007 Checks posted
4/13/2007 Priority Date
5/3/2007 - NOA for fingerprints
5/18/2007 - Appt. for FP at Newark 1:30 pm
?/??/2007 - Received NOA for Interview
?/??/2007 - Scheduled interview date
?/??/2007 - Oath?

My Interview Experience.

Myself and my spouse had interviews yesterday at Newark. Mine was at 1.00 PM and my spouse's was at 1.20 PM. We walked into room 1512 at 1.05 PM and dropped our interview letters at window 1. I was called in at around 1.25 and was out by 1.40. The officer forst went through my N-400 application and asked 7 simple questions. We took our Oath at 5.00 PM and was out of the building with certificates by 5.10 PM.

My spouse left the petitioning employer 5 months after she got her green card. This was not at all an issue during the interview. The Officer didn't even ask about it. If anybody out there has changed jobs within 6 months of getting the green card and are worried about it, you can be at peace now.

Interview Time: 1.00 for my wife and for me 1:20

Reached the Immigration Office around 12:45 PM. After security check went to 15th floor room 1521. Verified by the security with ID again and asked to drop the letter in window 1. I was called in to a door around 1:25 PM before my wife. Asked to show the Green Card and passport. He just had a glance at the passport and GC and then went thru the application and asked whether the details are the same and correct. He went thru the basically each and every page at a super fast and I stopped him to say that I have not given my trip to Canada and offered him an updated application. he said that is fine. Then he started on question

1. Who was the first commander-in-chief of US Army & Navy? George Washington
2. Why there are 100 Senators? 50 states and each have 2 so 100
3. What is celebrated on 4th of July ? Independence Day
4. Who is the VP today? Dick Cheney
5. What is the Constitution? The Supreme Law of the Land
6. What is the highest part of Judiciary Branch? Supreme Court
7. What is the national anther of US? The Star-Spangled Banner
8, Can the constitution be changed? Yes
9. how many terms can a president serve? Two

and marked 10/10 in that paper. Asked to write the sentence "I work hard in my job".
Asked me to sign (Print) my full name in the papers and in the photo.

No question about Tax, Selective Service or anything.

Even though I stumbled to say when my last trip to my country was, he said was it on 2004 and asked how long.
Greeted and congratulated me on becoming citizen. Handed over the 2 sheet one to be answered to take the oath and another to us to keep (test passed).

Around 3:30 PM they started calling one by one and asked to give the GC and the form (basically this is to say whether there is any change to your application - marital, investigation, etc..) given during the interview and sing the Citizenship Certificate.

Waited till 5 PM for the Oath.

Based on the person who gave oath. It is only in Newark they have Oath on same day on all 5 days. Asked us a small number of people (< 75) whether we need an elaborate or simple oath and then whether we want to have the oath there in the same hall or to another hall which is specifically for taking oath. Every one opted for the same hall and simple oath (exhausted!!!). Also informed that certificate can be copied only in Black and White (NO COLOR). Passport is a must to travel out and it takes 4 to 6 months as of today.

Some of the things Noted:

Mostly if the husband and wife had the interview, the wife time is before the husband's time but called only after husband's interview.
I came across couple of people who came in around 11:00 AM for 1:00 PM interview and still not called until 1:20 PM.
My wife was called around 2:40 PM even though her time was 1:00 PM. No Major question to her too. and was about 10 minutes for her.
Cafeteria closes by 3:00 PM, so stack some food with you.
Couple of them need to re-take/re-submit their photos and they were guided by the IO's to a suitable place.
one person was not taking the oath or kind of doing some thing when the oath was done. so the IO told that person has to wait and he wants to have a talk before giving
the certificate.

Parking:
We parked in the Parking lot just across the Immigration building (Broad Street) on Court Road. It is $10.00 for All day.

Not mentioned and not raised during interview
Moving violation which was around 12 years back
Spouse and kids have different last name
Accidents in which I was involved but not my fault and not in my driving history.
All the Best to everyone out there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Citizendude and Rsury for posting your experiences.

My wife and I are scheduled for the 31st and both of us have been called at the same time - 8.00 AM. I guess it's going to be a long day for us as most probably, touch wood, we will have to wait till evening for the oath ceremony.

I believe the oath ceremony is twice a day. If you are in the morning batch you should be out by 1pm. Mine is next Wednesday and I'm in the morning batch too.