Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

90 days before 5 years

Hi,
Can I apply for citizenship 90 before completing 5 years of Permanent residence? Did anyone do it and had issues with?

Any folks who applied in March got IL?

Any March N400 applicants got the Interview Letters?

n400 PD: March 21
FP: Apr 2

Finger print status

Can anyone please post the number I need to call to get fingerprint status?

I did my FP on 5/18/2007.

Thanks in advance.

Finger print number

the number to call and check if your prints were accepted is

1304-625-2000
1304-625-2406
1304-625-5590

call any one of those numbers you will get an answer they will ask for your A#
take...

Any new Interview letters?

Have not seen any interviews after July 31st.

Any updates after that?

PD- May 1st
FP -May 30th

I received my interview letter on June 04, 2007. My wife received it on June 05, 2007. Interview scheduled on Aug 07, 2007 for both of us.

Just got my citizenship in Newark. Yes, interview and oath in NJ happen on the same day.

Priority Date: October 18, 2006.
Fingerprint Date: November 03, 2006
Interview Letter: April 02, 2007
Interview & Oath Date: June 05, 2007

Interview scheduled for: 10:20 am
Arrived on 15th floor at: 10:10 am
Invited into the room for an interview at: 11:15 am
Left the interview room (passed) at: 11:25 am
Was asked to sign the naturalization certificate at: 12:25 pm
(Was told that the oath ceremony will take place at 1 pm.)
Everyone was invited into the ceremony room at: 1:15 pm
Everyone left the oath ceremony room with a naturalization certificate: 1:45 pm

Interview: nothing special to report. Interviewer was very friendly and polite. Just a few simple questions based on the application (of the type: have you traveled outside the US for more than 6 months?), about 6-7 simple civics questions, asked to write one short sentence in English. Very easy.
The only things I was asked to show was my national passport and my green card (which they took away, of course). That’s probably because my application documentation was complete.

By the way - there really is no need to come in earlier. Clearly, everyone who came at least after 10 am ended up in the same oath "batch" at 1:15 pm. If you get hungry quickly - take a sandwich to eat it there.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if it's possible to apply for passport at Newark where you had your interview/oath ?

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if it's possible to apply for passport at Newark where you had your interview/oath ?

Not in the Federal Building - the passports are not issued there. In fact, they tell you explicitely during the ceremony where you can apply for a US passport (e.g., in the post office).

Finally

I'm very happy to announce that today, June 13, my husband received his Interview Letter for August 21, 2007. I wish the best of luck to those who are still waiting, I hope you get your IL very soon.

Maz88. You are not alone, I knew someone who filed in October 2005 and is still waitng for IL. He once got a IL from Philadelphia, but the interview was canceled one week before the interview date. Then 14 months has passed, nothing happened. I also have a friend who filed in last July and still waiting for IL from Cherry Hill office.

Just curious, is your name a very common name? Are you from any of the Musilm countries or communist/former communist countries? I have heard some rumors that people from these countries will take longer time for the name check.

Someone has sucessful stories by getting the help from Senator's office or First Lady's office. I don't know how effective it will be.

I don't know what's the longest name check? I have seen someone passed interview two years ago and still waiting for the decision.

Hi,
Congratulations..
Hope mine will be soon!
Still need a NC to be over...

PD:5/06

Hi guys,

Just wanted to update you on my timeline. I had my interview yesterday and took the oath yesterday too. I was a bit nervous because of dual A#s (I know I had a different A# during OPT). I had just included a letter in my application mentioning the dual A# and requesting the files be consolidated for my interview.

My interview was for 1.40. I arrived around 1.25 and they let me in but they were already people waiting there before me. I got called around 3.40, and my interview was done within 10 minutes.

The interview officer asked me for my passport and green card after having me promise to speak the truth. Reviewed my N400 app (i mentioned my traffic ticket as well and said I had a court disposition for it but he said it was not needed). He also asked me the civic questions - just 6.

The interview officer was pretty nice. He made some jokes as well! Also he asked me about my date of marriage and husband's date of birth, etc. I had brought all documents but he said he had copies of all that he needed so he didn't ask for one doc!

Anyway, that was it for the interview and he handed me interview passing sheet and an oath certificate.

The oath was a little after 4.30 and we just did it in the waiting since everyone was kind of tired (they asked if we wanted to stay there or go to the waiting room).

The only benefit to going significantly earlier than your interview would just be mental peace of getting done with it earlier. Other than that, everyone takes oat at the same time. The morning ppl take it around 1.30 and the afternoon ppl around 4.30/5.00.

But yeah, that's about it...quite a relief.

Just thought I'd post my update. I have to look at all my dates so I'll post a timeline after this post.

Applied - Jan 24, 2007
PD - Jan 25, 2007
PD Notice / FP Notice Received - Feb 7
FP Date - Feb 15
Interview - June 19th
Oath - June 19th

my time frame?~/new jersey

Applied 31st May 2007
Priority Date 1 June 2007
Date Check Cashed 18 June 2007

I think the delays have just started dont you think?

Congratulations! nice writeup on your citizenship interview experience. Mine is next month, hope it's going to be as smooth as yours.

Are the civic questions are from that booklet they gave during the FP? I guess it's about 100 questions.