Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

US Citizenship Experience: Newark, NJ

03-15-2009 - N400 application send.
04-22-2009 - Finger Printing [Elizabeth, NJ]
06-25-2009 - Citizenship Received [970 Broad St., Newark, NJ]

During the citizenship:

Do's:

- Please reach at the location by 7:30 AM, although the office may open at 8:00 AM / Begin the proceedings at 8:30 AM
- This would ensure that you'll be heard prior to 10:00 AM, and may opt for earlier Oath Ceremony at 11:30 AM, instead of having to wait until 2:30 PM
- Please respect yourself and express your desire to be a US citizen by proper attire (i.e. Suit etc.) {Had seen utmost disrespectful attires and were treated accordingly;-}

Don't:

- Offer ambiguity in your answers
- Explain, if asked, circumstances leading to a question
- Be courteous to the INS officers
- Memorize all the answers by heart (Only 100 questions anyway!)

My experience:

- Had to wait over 2.5 hours
- Officer had asked me to swear nothing but the truth
- Had rapidfire 10 questions
- Asked all the questions in N-400 / confirmed if the answers were the same
Entire process took less than 3 minutes
- Offered a letter stating the results of the interview and courteous 'Congrats"
- Had to endure another hour of waiting prior to being asked to "review" the naturalization certificate / was asked if I needed a name change (I refused)
- After the oath, Naturalization certificate was given along with a Passport form

Passport:

- $75 normal fees + $25 post-office filing Fees + $60 expedited process fees + $20 Passport Card (A New service showing the picture ID with Citizenship tag (Useful to travel to Canada / Mexico by car only)

Last edited by a moderator:
Writting & Reading

Hi Obscure,

Congrats Obscure.
Can you please provide more info about your writting and reading test. Also all the document required during interview.

Thanks

Writing / Reading at Citizenship Test

During the interview I was asked to read:

" Which state has the maximum # of people?"

I was asked to write the answer: California has maximum # of people among the states.

As far as Passport office:
I would suggest go to the nearest post office closer to your home. Possibly you may need to make an appointment. If you've submitted 4 photo copies at the time of your citizenship application, you'll get 2 of of 'em back. Needless to say you could use those!

Documents to carry:

If you came to the US as a student: your I-20, past 5 years of Tax filings (1040 with W2's attached), Driving record (You could request online)

If you had received your Green Card based on your marriage: Marriage certificate, Preferred that you bring your spouse as well, and relevent documents

During the interview I was asked to read:

" Which state has the maximum # of people?"

I was asked to write the answer: California has maximum # of people among the states.

As far as Passport office:
I would suggest go to the nearest post office closer to your home. Possibly you may need to make an appointment. If you've submitted 4 photo copies at the time of your citizenship application, you'll get 2 of of 'em back. Needless to say you could use those!

Documents to carry:

If you came to the US as a student: your I-20, past 5 years of Tax filings (1040 with W2's attached), Driving record (You could request online)

If you had received your Green Card based on your marriage: Marriage certificate, Preferred that you bring your spouse as well, and relevent documents

Who told you to bring the I-20 to the interview? It is not a requirement for naturalization. Were you asked for it? If so, this would be the first documented case on this forum, as far as I know.

Citizenship Interview: Documents (I-20)

The intent of the person seeking citizenship is often a subject of verification. I ended up taking my I-20 (18 yr old;-) to prove the same.

Coincidently I was asked when and why I entered the US first. (It could've been a simple conversation question). All I did was to lay this I-20 which was a self explainatory act. Rest was smooth and without any questions other than the procedural steps..

Its always good to carry as many doc's as we can

I agree it is better to carry all IMP doc's for better presentation. Further question.
Are we allowed to carry some bag containing all the documents?

I am planning to grep all my documents at interview.

my timeline

04/15/09 :priority Date
04/15/09 :Notice Date.
04/25/09 :FP Notice Received
05/20/09 :FP Appointment (Elizabeth, NJ
06/13/09 : CFR Recd for DL

Got my IL yesterday.. It is a bit later than expected but it is OK.. I am happy!!

DO: Parsippany, NJ
4/14/09: N-400 Mailed TX lockbox
4/17/09: N-400 Received
4/17/09: PD
4/20/09: NOA date
4/27/09: FP notice date
5/22/09: FP appointment
5/01/09: FP appointment (Done-Walk-in)
6/18/09: Yellow letter notice date
6/29/09: IL notice date
9/14/09: ID

Received Passport & Passport ID Card

03-15-2009 - N400 application send.
04-22-2009 - Finger Printing [Elizabeth, NJ]
06-25-2009 - Citizenship Received [970 Broad St., Newark, NJ]
07-06-2009 - Passport Received

Can I take my kid to interview?

I wonder if I can take my kid to interview. It will be greatly appreciated if you can share your experience and idea. Thanks!

04/30/2009: N-400 application sent to lockbox
05/01/2009: Receipt date
05/04/2009: Priority date
05/20/2009: FP Done
07/06/2009: Interview Notice received
09/22/2009: Interview date (Monday) @ 10a

Last edited by a moderator: