Newark local office transfer: tracker

My interview experience!

I had my interview today (8/17) for case EB 3, which was filed in July 2003.

My interview was at 10am and I, my husband and our interpreter (my hubby doesn’t speak English well) reached the building around 9am. Waiting in the cafeteria room (2nd FL) until 9.30 to upstairs, handed in our interview letters to a staff in Window 2. After about 1 hour 45 minutes waiting, we were called in. An officer took our right index finger fingerprints and led us to his cubicle.

The officer is very serious, but he is straight forward. He first asked me to give him the passports and medical exams. I told him the medical exams should be in the file. He checked out my file folder, and found it.

Then he asked me where I work now, I replied company A. He asked me prove it, and I gave him the letter from my employer. He questioned why my working company name is different from my application. I told him the company was merged by company B. He asked me to prove it again, so I gave him a published article to him.

Third, he asked for the tax returns for last three years (I’m surprised that I didn’t take my W2s and check stubs).

Fourth, he asked to prove where I and my husband lived together, so I gave him the copy of our house dead with both of our names on it. Then, he asked regular questions to my husband about his employment. Our representative interpreted to my husband and answered the question to the officer.

In the end, he said since Visa numbers are unavailable, my file will remain pending. Approval once numbers are available and the GC will be mailed to our home directly.

Like many of others, we still need to wait, but the time is worthwhile.

Appreciated all for sharing your experiences, and it was a great experience for me to follow this forum! :)

Hi Riyaz404-t
Congrats.

can u pls help us with something similar to u.
we still did not get interview notices, probably it will be in october,
once visa nos are avaiable.

We also had candian pr stamp in passport.
what answer u gave .
can u pls let us know as we are in similar situation like u

Thanks
calindian

EB1 case: interviewd and approved today - Aug. 17, 2005

All friends,

We had a inverview and our EB1 case was approved today.

The interview was scheduled at 10AM. The officer was quite nice and did not give us any hard time. He just asked some very general questions for security issues and checked the documents for last two years' tax returns, W2 and some others as described in the thread.

Thanks all for sharing the info during this long journey and good wishes to everyone.

prlover said:
My case is EB1 with RD: March 20, 2003 and ND: March 31, 2003

FP was done on Sept 16, 2004

My 485 was transferred to Newark on Nov 1, 2004.

How/where did you get info for my transfer date and scheduled date?
I even don't know that myself. I just checked my case status and there is no any updates at all (but I do wish it is true).

Our interview was scheduled for today at 1:00 PM and we reached there by 12:20. We got it approved and stamped it on our passport( we belong to the EB3- schedule A category).

We had waited till 3:15 PM and the officer asked us the regular questions like others(birth(ours & kid's), marriage certificate, tax returns, employment letter, pay stub, medical). We didnt take our attorney along with us.

The officer was very friendlly and he kept our old & current EAD's.

We Thank all guys who share valuable inforations into this forum and we also thank Rajeev S. Khana for maintaining this site.

Wishing good luck for those who are waiting for the interview.

Intw. experience at Newark (EB3 Category)

Had my interview scheduled for 8/17 yesterday at 10am. Reached there at 9:30 am along with my wife and son. Was called in by a white male officer at around 11 am. After necessary formalities of finger printing and signing a form, followed him, he made us take an oath. He asked for passports, asked for medicals (told him - should be in file), current employment letter (this had my job responsibilities mentioned as well along with other necessary details). Asked for my labor certificate, which I was not carrying but he found in the file and compared it with my employment letter. Asked me whether this is the same company who filed my petition which I said no (mine is AC21 case), how many companies I worked for - which I told him and then came marriage related questions (there were many). He informed me that visa nos. are not available, as soon as they are available , they will be sending GCs directly to us. He kept our I 94s with him

He gave us this letter which mentioned:

Your priority date is not current and your case will be held in abeyance until such time as a visa number is available for your classification. (E37:E39). You may visit State Dept. website at www.state.gov to read monthly visa bulletin and learn of the availability of visas. Pl refrain from inquiring on the status of your case until 90 days after a priority date is current"

Stamped our passports with :
New I 485 Pending
Sec 245
Date 8/17/05
and wrote in hand "Awaiting Visa (E 37)"and for my wife mentioned "Awaiting Husband's E 37 Visa"

This was it for us. Whole process lasted 15-20minutes

In the end, I would want to thank you all wonderful people who posted their experiences and issues on this website which helped us go well prepared. I wish good luck to everyone who are looking forward to this day

I 485 ND: 30th April 2003
Transfer Date to Newark: 11/9/04
Intw. Date at Newark: 8/17/05

Had interview..

Interview was scheduled at 1PM. Reached there by 12.40. The interviewing officer came at 1.40 and asked if my wife was with me(My wife was added to I-485 an year after my ND and she received her transfer letter to Newark 2-3 days ago. I was not sure if she should come with me). I was told to come back at 2.30.

Asked for employer letter, tax returns and contact no of immediate supervisor at my employer's place. He asked me if he calls them if they would confirm my employment with them.

And he also asked abt job description..I said C++..etc..he asked if i will able to write a small program if he asked me.. I asked for a pen and paper..and he said don't bother..i will approve your case. (Same guy who asked someone to write a c++ program)

But he said onething....that iam a legal permanent resident and i can travel with this stamping.. Inspite of telling him that iam EB3, he said doesn't matter..

He said my wife is going to receive an interview letter pretty soon..

Thanks folks for sharing your experiences...I would've never known this C++ program writing this if not for experience shared in this forum..

I wish good luck to folks with future interview dates..

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats PatPat!

patpat said:
Interview was scheduled at 1PM. Reached there by 12.40. The interviewing officer came at 1.40 and asked if my wife was with me(My wife was added to I-485 an year after my ND and she received her transfer letter to Newark 2-3 days ago. I was not sure if she should come with me). I was told to come back at 2.30.

Asked for employer letter, tax returns and contact no of immediate supervisor at my employer's place. He asked me if he calls them if they would confirm my employment with them.

And he also asked abt job description..I said C++..etc..he asked if i will able to write a small program if he asked me.. I asked for a pen and paper..and he said don't bother..i will approve your case. (Same guy who asked someone to write a c++ program)

But he said onething....that iam a legal permanent resident and i can travel with this stamping.. Inspite of telling him that iam EB3, he said doesn't matter..

He said my wife is going to receive an interview letter pretty soon..

Thanks folks for sharing your experiences...I would've never known this C++ program writing this if not for experience shared in this forum..

I wish good luck to folks with future interview dates..

Congratulations Patpat! I am glad that you found my posting helpful where I hinted about C++ program. Looks like that immigration officer is pretty good in C++ programming. Market is good for C++ most of the time, so he definitely has a job even if something happens to INS.

Good Luck!

Only copy of the birtch certificate was given. I had the original handy in case he wanted to compare. He didn't ask for it

2 months worth of paystub copies. He didn't care how many i submitted.

4328210 said:
Congratulations Riyaz404-t. I know that you are not happy with outcome of your interview. Still the coming waiting period would be sweet.

Did you submit the original of birth certificate before?

How many pay stubs given to the officer?

now relax and enjoy.

Thanks for posting your experience

calindian said:
Hi Riyaz404-t
Congrats.

can u pls help us with something similar to u.
we still did not get interview notices, probably it will be in october,
once visa nos are avaiable.

We also had candian pr stamp in passport.
what answer u gave .
can u pls let us know as we are in similar situation like u

Thanks
calindian
Short and only answer to your question i have is, "tell them the truth". They are looking to hear the truth from you.
That's what I did.

hi Ryaz

Hi Riyaz

Thanks alot.

Can you pls let us know what u told.??

Can you pls confirm how officer came to know taht u have canada pr.
Is it by seeing canada pr stamp in ur passport.??

That will help us to know the style/way of saying in polite/truth/convincing manner.

Thanks
Calindian

Last edited by a moderator:
calindian said:
Hi Riyaz

Thanks alot.

Can you pls let us know what u told.??

Can you pls confirm how officer came to know taht u have canada pr.
Is it by seeing canada pr stamp in ur passport.??

That will help us to know the style/way of saying in polite/truth/convincing manner.

Thanks
Calindian

Just chill and tell him your GC was not approved, and as such since there is no gurantee that GC will be approved, you went and accepted your Perm res for Canada. If they ask you further details, provide them. If they ask why you got Canadian PR and still living in US, tell them Canadian govt allows that for upto 3 years. After 3 years, if you still don't go back, the PR gets cancelled.

I think he might not even ask you unless he notices the stamp.

tracker?

Does anybody have the latest tracker excel file?

My lawyer said, noone knows for sure when the pending cases (recently interviewed will be really approved), as it depends on state dept.
Howerver, if priority date is prior to 2002, then good chance of visa numbers becoming available for those cases. Any one has any comments or ideas?

Can somebody give me an idea when can I expect my interview? I was recently at the Newark Local office for my AP. Upon asking the officer about my 485 case, he told me that they will ask for interview only when my PD gets current.

I am wondering how come many of you guys got interview when your PD is not current? I think I am missing some part of how this is working?

Can somebody explain please.

What happens to folks who have already been interviewed as a result of Retrogress!

Hi All,
We do know that many went through interview process at Newark and other parts of USA.. Due to this retrogress process what happens to those who have a PD prior to January 1, 1998. So, do they need to wait for atleast 2 - 3 years to get their physical cards even after completing the interview successfully?

Any comments/thoughts???

Harsh reality....

Want_GC_Soon,
I think the harsh reality is we have to wait until our priority dates get Current. We had our interview, but visa numbers have not been assigned to cases which are EB3. They were supposed to be assigned after 1st October, but the dates retrogressed. I don't know what to say of our fate. It's the case of being so near.. yet so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

By the way, folks who been interviewed recently and are EB3, could you tell what type of stamp the interviewing officer put in your passport? And did he take the I-94 and previous EAD cards ???

stamp says

new sec 245 date : interview date

awaiting visa or awaiting vis1 (too bad handwriting)

also gave a piece of paper that says something like no more interviews or paperwork needed. approval will be sent in mail.

my question for you and everyone:
are they most likely making the visa numbers available by oct 1? And if that's the case, why is that too bad. Doesnt it mean we who got interviewed are extremely close to getting our GCs?

patpat said:
Want_GC_Soon,
I think the harsh reality is we have to wait until our priority dates get Current. We had our interview, but visa numbers have not been assigned to cases which are EB3. They were supposed to be assigned after 1st October, but the dates retrogressed. I don't know what to say of our fate. It's the case of being so near.. yet so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

By the way, folks who been interviewed recently and are EB3, could you tell what type of stamp the interviewing officer put in your passport? And did he take the I-94 and previous EAD cards ???

riyaz404-t,
Visa numbers were supposed to be available after october 1st. But since the new visa bulletin came out and the dates retrogessed to 01-Jan-1998, for only those of us whose prioroty date is before 01-JAN-1998, the visa numbers will be available...We'll have visa numbers assigned to us only when our priority dates become wrong..

I hope iam wrong...but that's how it is.....CRUEL FATE...

patpat said:
riyaz404-t,
Visa numbers were supposed to be available after october 1st. But since the new visa bulletin came out and the dates retrogessed to 01-Jan-1998, for only those of us whose prioroty date is before 01-JAN-1998, the visa numbers will be available...We'll have visa numbers assigned to us only when our priority dates become wrong..

I hope iam wrong...but that's how it is.....CRUEL FATE...
Patpat,
I wish you were wrong too.
What you think? Is there any chance they will move the priority dates to 99, 2000 and 2001? And usually how fast or slow does it move? How often do they come out with revised dates?
This really sucks. Not sure what should i really do.
Thanks.