New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

I got my interview letter few days ago - my interview is scheduled for March 21, 2012 at LI Office Holtsville. I understand they give the oath letters on the same day.

Shall greatly appreciate if those having had interview at Holtsvill can share their experience and also whether they give out the Oath letter on the same day and whether Oath is done same day, next day or after couple of weeks.

Thanks

NRI 107

You live in LI? I live in Queens. Some Queens people seem wait for long time.

I got my interview letter few days ago - my interview is scheduled for March 21, 2012 at LI Office Holtsville. I understand they give the oath letters on the same day.

Shall greatly appreciate if those having had interview at Holtsvill can share their experience and also whether they give out the Oath letter on the same day and whether Oath is done same day, next day or after couple of weeks.

Thanks

NRI 107

Good luck for your interview!!

passed interview

**updating with interview experience**

went to the new USCIS office on Jackson Ave, LIC (they split the Garden City into Holtsville and LIC). got there about an hour before my scheduled time and waited for about an hour so i had my interview at, pretty much, the actual time on the letter.

So here are the details:
walked in, went through security. be smart and don't carry anything that they will confiscate. they took away a lady's dolphin charm because it had a 'sharp' edge. they also reprimanded a guy for bringing in lollipops but didn't say anything to me about my protein bar.
went to the lady straight ahead, letter stamped then turned right, went to elevator and took it to second floor. a guy also walked into elevator with me and we both handed our letters to the security guard that stood right by the elevator.

i think she put his letter on top of mine because he got called before me (by same officer) :mad:

anyways, i waited and waited. i went to the restroom early on because i did not want to miss my name. they are very soft-spoken when they call you. There's a huge waiting room and two doors: Door A (Naturalization) and Door B (AOS).
finally got called and followed my officer to his office through Door A.
Raised right hand, swore (said "i do") and then he MUMBLED his way through the application. it was done is one minute! thank God i read my application last night because all i said was no, no, no....yes...yes...for like 30s. he looked at the passports, GC, drivers license (i didn't change it since i moved but he didn't question it, so i guess just updating it with DMV seems fine).

i just got divorced (even though my AOS was through marriage to an American Citizen) and he asked for divorce papers. i gave him both, original and copy and he kept copy but looked at the original and read it (he had a strange personality).

most of the time he kept going through my files (he had everything from F-1 to now-- in two HUGE files).
Asked me to sign here, print name there...and sign my photographs. i repeated what he said every time just to clarify (something i learned from my doctorate seminars)

Made me read "Who elects the Congress" and asked me to write "the people elect the congress" which he said incorrectly so i asked him if it was elect and not elects (the way he said it).

Then the civics exam, which was very easy.
1. Who wrote the declaration of independence?
2. There were 13 original colonies. Name 3
3. Name one state that borders Mexico
4. Who is the commander and chief of the army?
5. What is the political party of the president?
6. what are the two major political parties in the United States?

He asked me questions about how i entered (F-1) and questions about my ex-husband (what was he working as, which school did he go to)
nothing serious....i think it came up because he was reviewing my old file. he seemed a little OCD though as he kept touching weird parts of the file, like the cover and he kept touching his arm. i have no idea.
He stamped approved: BIG RED LETTERS. and gave me a certificate letter that had my info on it. :D
i checked it and noticed that he did not change the M to D for marital status so i asked him to change it and he said "sh*t...sh*t...i forgot...sh*t...how could i have not seen it". Again, i thought he had a weird personality but didn't think too much of it.
For most of the interview i was looking around and he was shuffling through papers.

then he jumped up and said "ok your done. Bye." i laughed because most people would think he's very weird...almost rude really but whatever...to each their own. i was there to pass a citizenship interview not to make friends with the officer.
Couldn't get Oath letter today as it was after 3pm and the guy who went before me (and was in the elevator with me) took 1.15hours! so now i have to wait for it in the mail :mad:

did not ask for taxes or any of the documents in the huge file i brought. But it felt good to be prepared. :p

its almost over. can't wait. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
no...i asked my officer and he told me its either at a location in LI if you are interviewed at Holtsville or Brooklyn-Cadman Plaza if you are interviewed in Queens/Federal Plaza

HEY! finally go an update email : On March 14, 2012, your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was placed in line for interview scheduling.!!!!!!

will i get another email telling me when they actually send a interview letter??
More waiting time! neverending

any updates from you guys?

N-400 (5 YEARS)
12/27/2011 - MAILED TO TX
12/28/2011- Received
1/03/2012- Check cashed
1/04/2012- I-797C Notice of Action Received
1/06/2012 FP Notification Notice Date
1/17/2012 FP DONE WALK-IN
2/13/2012- Yellow Letter- State I.D
3/14/2012- Online status changed to Interview and Testing

I'm wondering why I haven't received text message or email any more.

Initially when my application was received, both txt message and email came in.

Ever after that, status has been changed several times online from USCIS' website but I never received txt or email.

no...i asked my officer and he told me its either at a location in LI if you are interviewed at Holtsville or Brooklyn-Cadman Plaza if you are interviewed in Queens/Federal Plaza

It would have been nice to have an Oath in the same office like they do in Newark and many offices across the country. It would save time and resources for the govt.

The waiting area for the interview is a combined one in this office for applicants for naturalization and AOS?

I'm wondering why I haven't received text message or email any more.

Initially when my application was received, both txt message and email came in.

Ever after that, status has been changed several times online from USCIS' website but I never received txt or email.

I got latest text message update on 11/28/11. I am still waiting for interview scheduled. Queens seems to be haunted.

got email today 03/15/2012 saying that i am scheduled for oath! this office is moving fast!!

Hopefully, they can also speed up interview scheduling. I read your timeline, and I realized there was four month wait between in line scheduling update and interview scheduled update.

It would have been nice to have an Oath in the same office like they do in Newark and many offices across the country. It would save time and resources for the govt.

The waiting area for the interview is a combined one in this office for applicants for naturalization and AOS?

i agree! it made no sense to me either and i thought i read online that they would be doing oath ceremonies there but this officer said it would be at cadman. lets see what i get when i get the oath letter. i have a trip coming up from the 7th of april to the 13th so i'm praying it's either before or after.

the room is combined. Door A= naturalization and Door B= AOS. I think they are also pretty strict with folks who are applying based on marriage because when i was walking out i saw a lady with her head in her hands, looking dejected and the officer kept saying "show me more...more evidence".

Hopefully, they can also speed up interview scheduling. I read your timeline, and I realized there was four month wait between in line scheduling update and interview scheduled update.

yeah my application did take some time! but if you call or visit them they will tell you that it is within the processing time. Some people seem to have gotten it pretty quick so maybe something will change for you soon! at the end of the day, it's new york and there are too many applicants so it will take its own time. i got over being impatient and frustrated about it because i realized that it WILL happen. but i know how you feel!

yeah my application did take some time! but if you call or visit them they will tell you that it is within the processing time. Some people seem to have gotten it pretty quick so maybe something will change for you soon! at the end of the day, it's new york and there are too many applicants so it will take its own time. i got over being impatient and frustrated about it because i realized that it WILL happen. but i know how you feel!

Thank you, candyattitude!

I just got an email and text massage saying that Your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION is now scheduled for interview. You will receive a written notice with a time and place for your interview.

It's so intereting. This morning, I was just bragging about how long it takes, and then now I got this update. I am so excited. Can't wait to receicve notice.

Can anyone help?
my oath is scheduled for april 13 (at cadman plaza) for 8:30am. the problem is i have a cruise from 7 april-12 april and then i will be in New Orleans on the 13 and 14 of april. Should i reschedule the oath or change my flight? PLEASE ADVICE!

decided to change the flight. just a heads up: was told by USCIS that rescheduling is a 2-3 month wait time. I'd rather get it over with while i have the chance.

3/19/2012 other updated, interview letter mailed!!!

N-400 (5 YEARS)
12/27/2011 - MAILED TO TX
12/28/2011- Received
1/03/2012- Check cashed
1/04/2012- I-797C Notice of Action Received
1/06/2012 FP Notification Notice Date
1/17/2012 FP DONE WALK-IN
2/13/2012- Yellow Letter- State I.D
3/14/2012- Online status changed to Interview and Testing
3/19/2012- Online status changed Interview letter mailed

I got interview letter today. My interview date will be April 25, and the location is Queens office in Long Island City.

decided to change the flight. just a heads up: was told by USCIS that rescheduling is a 2-3 month wait time. I'd rather get it over with while i have the chance.

If there is no compelling reason to become a US Citizen immediately then waiting for 2-3 months won't matter. Everyone would wish to get over with it as soon as possible, but if there is no pressing need to be naturalized sooner, I wouldn't mind waiting for 2-3 months especially if I would have to lose any kind of money or/and alter other people's plan who might be going together on the trip with me by canceling/rescheduling the whole trip. It's just a matter of personal situation and choice.