New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Congratulations Alkebulan. Thanks for the update. I recently got my yellow letter. Now I wait for the interview letter.

Case transferred

Just received an email that my case has transferred to local office. I hope the interview letter follows soon. I didn't think it would be so soon. Am quite surprised.

I'm currently outside the US on a 1 yr course. I haven't broken my continuous residency since I've gone back twice in the last six months and plan to return as soon as prog is finished.
So what sort of documents should I take with me? This is what I'm planning on taking

-5 yr taxes
-health insurance in US (I pay for this myself despite being outside the US)
-RE tax docs (are there official documents for this or just a printout that I've been paying them?)
-deed
-monthly payments for the property
-cell phone bill
-RE insurance
-Rental agreement (that I've rented out my property for the one year till I return)
-proof that I applied to various courses in the US too but just didn't get in (to show that I really didn't intend on leaving the country, circumstances just happened that way).

Do you think that's enough?

justfiled,

I checked my status and it also shows my case being transferred. In the YL that I received, they are asking for tax returns, old passports, and documents to show residency. I have not received my IL yet, so there might be more stuff in that letter.

I sent my application N400 on Feb7, UPS next day delivery. It was received and signed on Feb8. It's now 11 days and nothing. Check not cashed or any sign from USCIS. Is this normal?

I just received the YL yesterday. It says only to bring Drivers License. I only have a learner's permit, so I guess that's what I'll have to bring.

But I'm guessing I need to take 5 years tax returns and passports too.

I had listed all those additional stuff because I'm doing a one year course out of the country and am a bit worried if they give me a hard time about that- which they really shouldn't, I hope, since up till this past Sept, my average travel was never more than 2-3 weeks per year, and I have left behind everything back in NY because I do intend to return.

We should both be getting our IL soon if case has been transferred. I wanted to take a short holiday but can't make any bookings unless I know the dates!!!

I think a return transcript. I'm wondering now though, if nothing was even mentioned in my interview letter, should I even bother with it?

i just received the yl yesterday. It says only to bring drivers license. I only have a learner's permit, so i guess that's what i'll have to bring.

But i'm guessing i need to take 5 years tax returns and passports too.

I had listed all those additional stuff because i'm doing a one year course out of the country and am a bit worried if they give me a hard time about that- which they really shouldn't, i hope, since up till this past sept, my average travel was never more than 2-3 weeks per year, and i have left behind everything back in ny because i do intend to return.

We should both be getting our il soon if case has been transferred. I wanted to take a short holiday but can't make any bookings unless i know the dates!!!

wow this was so quick...how come??/

Should I request an IRS Return Transcript or an IRS Account Transcript to bring to the interview?

Once you get to the voice prompts, if you select option 4, during the final selection, they will mail you both the return transcript and account transcript.

The way the IRS self service system is configured, you can get Return Transcript for current year and 3 previous years. The account transcript is available for more than 4 years.

I had ordered mine in Dec and received IRS Return Transcripts for 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 and account transcripts for 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005.

It is easier to get thro' to the voice prompts/ less voice prompts if you call on the weekend or after hours. You should get the transcripts in about 8 to 10 days and both are free.

Once you get to the voice prompts, if you select option 4, during the final selection, they will mail you both the return transcript and account transcript.

The way the IRS self service system is configured, you can get Return Transcript for current year and 3 previous years. The account transcript is available for more than 4 years.

I had ordered mine in Dec and received IRS Return Transcripts for 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 and account transcripts for 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005.

It is easier to get thro' to the voice prompts/ less voice prompts if you call on the weekend or after hours. You should get the transcripts in about 8 to 10 days and both are free.

Thank you. I did it through the web. I ordered the return transcript only. I will now order the account transcript.

Can you request your transcripts be sent to a different address over the phone?

The self service option asks you to confirm the numbers in the street address, as per last tax return that you filed with the IRS. I did not come across an option to mail to a different address on the automated touch tone service. However, if you call during regular business hours then you also have the option to talk to a IRS agent and perhaps you could request the transcripts to be sent to your current address.

Thank you. I did it through the web. I ordered the return transcript only. I will now order the account transcript.

Could you please post the link to the IRS web site where you have the option to order via the web.

When I had checked here:
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html , it offered only 2 options by phone or by my mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been since Dec 9th since i got my yellow paper...and my file is still in line to be accepted by the NYC for an interview, this is crazy slow..tired of this shit!!

That's strange. I wonder why some cases move much faster than others. Has your case been transferred to local office?

Nnanz- if you go to the main IRS home page, there is an option on the bottom left side that allows you to order transcripts online. Although if you want to have it sent to a different address than on file (as is my case), then you have to call or send in by mail.

Nnanz- if you go to the main IRS home page, there is an option on the bottom left side that allows you to order transcripts online.

Thanks justfiled. Missed seeing that the first time around. I think for a government organization the IRS is pretty efficient.

LOL, I don't even know how they process that either. I've been waiting for 3 months for Oath Letter and still nothing. My friend who had his interview 2 weeks after me, had his Oath ceremony 2 weeks after interview.