New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Sarrabel -

CONGRATULATIONS.
1) Could you please share your experience?
2) Also, could you let me know, what you had to do to report your recent international travel from the time you had applied n400?
3) Did you have any speeding tickets? If so did you report it either in the form or during the interview?
4) Did you request for Oath letter the same day? Or is it the norm in this office?
5) Did you carry your cell phone? Is there a place for storing this, if not allowed to take it with you for the interview?

Thank you,

Here you go!

1) http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=305953
2) the IO asked and I gave him the dates of travel and country visited, he updated the application
3) I had 3 traffic violations (1 in 2004 and 2 in 2008), didn't disclose them, officer asked if I've ever been arrested, detained, cited, I said no, he went on.
4) I think it's the norm if your application is approved. He asked me if I wanted to wait for the letter but warned me about the long wait. He didn't want to discuss about the date though, so I had to do it with the people scheduling the oath and I was lucky they accommodated me.
5) You can carry your cell phone, however the lady makes you turn it off upon entering the room (and she wants to see you turning it off). Of course, I turned it back on right away (on silent mode and discretely) and I used it during the long wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody gone to a hearing?

Hello all,

Just wanted to know if anyone has gone to an immigration hearing. After i contacted the congressman office, i was told they will write letter of support for me and also provided me with an update on my case. I was told USCIS is reviewing the case and preparing to request a day for hearing, where me an my husband are going to explain and bring AGAIN all paperwork (evidence that we do not live at our rental property ). So tired of this already.
Anybody gone to court, can you please share?

Thanks

I submitted my N 400 on August 12, FP was done Sept. 10, still interview letter. How long it takes to get one? When shall I start asking questions about it. Thanks

It depends on where you live.
If you live in Manhattan, Bronx or Staten Island you fall under Federal Plaza and it is pretty fast (took 3 months and 17 days for me from mailing to oath).
If you live in Brooklyn or Queens then you fall under Garden City and it's a bit longer (around 5 months), but still pretty fast.

Interview experience

Interview scheduled for 9:30AM
Interview started: 10:50AM
Interview time about 20 mins

Interview was straight forward. Both Spouse and me passed. They will mail the Oath letter. The officer did take note that we are planning to travel outside the US around the holiday season.

The officer was detailed and asked for a copy of the marriage certificate even though we applied based on 5 year employment based (However, I was co-applicant based on my wife's employment based green card even though I was also eligible to apply independently based on my employment based green card application). Hence I am assuming I was asked for the copy of the marriage certificate.

The questions were
1) What was one was we fought in 1900's?
2) How many house of representatives?
3) How many years do elect them for?
4) When do vote for the President?
5) Who is our Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?
6) Who is the Father of our country?

Went through the usual questions in the application.

Read: Which state has the most population?
Written: California has the most people

Congratulated.

My officer was relatively young looking and wasn't bald. I don't remember his last name. How do you know there is one next Wednesday? I was thinking, since it is a short week next week, they wouldn't have an oath date and have one the week following.

Is there a place I can find this information?
First of all, I need to get the oath letter in a timely fashion.

I saw an oath letter being given out for Nov 25, which is the day before Thanksgiving. Oath place was Federal Courthouse on 500 Pearl St...

I got my IL......yesterday.......I am happy ......but it is 5 days before my 5 years...............NYC (26 federal Plaza) is moving.

My Timeline:

DO: NYC
LPR: 12/12/2004

09/12/2009: N400 sent
09/14/2009: N400 Received + Priority date
09/21/2009: NOA received + Check cleared
10/02/2009: FP Done
11/07/2009: Sent for Standard Interview
11/21/2009: IL received (No YL received)
12/07/2009: ID at 26 Federal Plaza

I am wondering why I didn't receive a YL if I have a DUI on record, it happened on 06/22/3001. I have a question for the experts: I sent the original police record and court disposition, Should I bring another original documents? both documents may not be ready for the interview date, because they process it in 15 business days.

Well, good luck to those who are waiting for their IL letters.

On September 22, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

all this just because the officer thinks im already a citizen thru my mom when she became a citizen i was not in this country and i had no paper at all when she went for her interview back in the 90s they told her no that i can only recieve a greencard bacause i was not yet a resendent they couldnt give me citizenship now im old enough trying to enter the police academy i need my citizenship and they making me wait all this long because his not sure when i went for my interview everything went ok i passed my test only 5 question answer all the personals as well the officer sent me home to wait for a deniel or my oath he say if i get the denied then i just can apply for passport or file n600 2 weeks later i get another interview letter for request of document i brought him what he ask and more that even he was like THIS IS ALL YOUR! went thru all the papers say ok good everything is in order this is all i need makes copys im thinkin ok im getting my oath no sends me home again with same story now is 2 months later almost and nothing what should i do info pass? sorry guys for the long thread
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW YORK brooklyn
Sent N-400 05/30/2009
FL - 06/16/09
FPD - 06/26/09
IL:-08/01/2009
ID: - 09/17/09 - decision could not be made at this time.
2nd interview- 10/19/2009
OL: xx/xx/xx
OD: xx/xx/xx
PP: xx/xx/xx (applied)
PP: xx/xx/xx (received

For those of you guys, who might have the same concern - as I had.
Regarding the "Request of Evidence" status of your case online ... If, it says that USCIS have sent you RfE, and you haven't received any requests except your finger prints letters. Don't worry, they mean those letter as an "Request of Evidence"....
I've called them, they explained me everything. And later, I even received the letter.... it says that " ... this is a server error, and your case is currently pending and will be worked in order it was received ....". Maybe they will improve this online checking system after calls like mine :)))
P.S. Still waiting for my interview letter :) I see, that you Manhattan people luckier than us Brooklynites :)))

Yankee37, good luck tomorrow!

First of all thanks every body for all your support,My interview was easy and smooth but i was realy nervous i m still nervous from this mornig so if i miss spill some words for give me,ok now i passed my interview and got oath letter for DEC 21.My interview time was 8.45am but becuse i lived eastern LI so becuse the rush hour i left from my house 6 am
but i did not hit rush hours i was there about 7.30am, i checked in about 8.40 am
and they call my name about 10.00am and i was all done about 10.25 am she asked if i will wait for oath letter i say hill yes i wait 18 years i can wait 2 more hours,she was realy nice young lady my n-400 was 5 years base so then only think she asked for 5 years tax return then she when throw with my on n-400 app from begening till end, then she aked me to wright some (THE FRIST CAPITAL OF US?) Then she asked me to read(washington is the father of our country)then 6 qustion i frogot what was those Q
MY ADVISE TO EVERY ONE ENJOY THE MOMNET WHEN U THERE:D:D:D:D PLUS GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE

This is my experience. I left my house at 6:55 a.m., I walked about 5 minutes to the Prospect Park train station in Brooklyn where I hopped on the Manhattan bound B train to 34th street. I arrived at 34th at 7:27 a.m. from there I transferred to the Queens bound F train. While I was on the train I reviewed some of the questions and answers in the booklet. At 8:05, I arrived to the 169th street and Hillside Avenue station where I got off to take the Long Island bound N24 bus to Roosevelt Field mall. It was a long bus ride but to my advantage the bus skipped a lot of stop. I guessed not too many people take public transportation in Long Island. After all the security check and paper checking, by 9:25 a.m. I was seating in the waiting area on the second floor waiting to be call. 30 minutes later to my surprise a young lady came out and she called my name. I followed her to her office. She was very nice and pleasant. She first asked me for my permanent residence card. Then she opened my application and started going over it. She asked me if there were any changes in the application. I told her that I went to a trip overseas during the summer and she made a note of it. She nicely asked me to raise my right and promised that I will tell the truth. I answered yes. Then, she went over the application with me and the test. She asked me 6 questions:

1. What stop one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
2. How many US senators in total?
3. Who is the governor of NY state?
4. Who is the commander in chief of the military?
5. Who is the vice-president?
6. When do we celebrate independence day?

Then she asked me to write Who is the chief justice of the US? and she handed me the answer. I passed the test with flying colors. Then she told me to go back to the first floor and waited for my name to be call for the oath letter. The oath is schedule for December 22, 2009 at Brooklyn District Court. My journey to become an American citizen is almost over. By the way, I want to wish Id0mu, NYStu, and usnycus good luck on Thurday.

On 12/30 8:30 a.m. I will become an American Citizen!!!

Here how it went today:
I drove (didn't hit any traffic, didn't get a flat tire or got to the accident). Came there at 8 (my interview was at 8:45), passed the security, checked in on the first floor and spent 3 longest hours in my life waiting to be called. My IO was a short, pleasant and very nice officer. He asked for my GC and passport. Then he opened my application, asked if there are any changes (one short oversea trip had to be added) asked if i ever been arrested or was a member of a communist party. Then I had to read "How many Senators we have" and then to write an answer "There are one hundred Senators". The questions were:
1.What's a name of the National anthem?
2.What ocean is on west coast?
3.why there are 13 stripes in flag?
4.What is the rule of law?
5. What happened on september 11?
6.How old citizens have to be to vote for a president.
Answered all correctly :)
Then he asked if I brought any evidence that I still live with my husband. I handed copies of leases, bank statements, health insurance statements, a letter from work with a printout showing him as my emergency contact person, primary beneficiary on 401K and life insurance. Tax transcripts were submitted earlier, with the application. He gladly accepted all copies and added to my file. Then congratulated with passing interview and asked to wait on the first floor for an oath letter. Waiting took less than 1/2 hour and I was home by 12.30. I'm so relieved and happy! Will take my husband tonight in some good restaurant for dinner to celebrate this good day.

Hello all,

Just wanted to know if anyone has gone to an immigration hearing. After i contacted the congressman office, i was told they will write letter of support for me and also provided me with an update on my case. I was told USCIS is reviewing the case and preparing to request a day for hearing, where me an my husband are going to explain and bring AGAIN all paperwork (evidence that we do not live at our rental property ). So tired of this already.
Anybody gone to court, can you please share?
Thanks
Don't sweat it too much. "Hearing" in nothing but a second interview which will be conducted by a more senior adjudicating officer. You therefore won't be going to a court...they'll just call you back to federal plaza just like they do with other interviews.

Of course the new IO will review your case afresh with particular attention on why you were denied. It's therefore important that you take all the documents that you believe will proove your case. Although your case sounds like it will/should be approved after the second interview (aka hearing), don't bet on recieving a decision right away, uscis might prolong your agony for another few months after the interview by telling you to wait for a decision in the mail.

I hope you get a good IO the second time around. You might even get lucky and have your case approved on the spot during your second interview.

Good luck.

Hello everybody, congrats to id0mu and usnycus waiting is almost over. So this is how it went for me:

Got to Garden city around 9:10 AM (interview was scheduled for 9:35 AM), dropped off my letter in the little box and sat down in the waiting room. Right away I heard a couple of ladies who said their interviews were at 8:30 AM, so I knew I was gonna have to wait a while, just didn't know it was going to be that long. Just like id0mu, I had to wait for over two hours, I was called for my interview around 11:45 AM.

My IO was very pleasant and professional, before the actual interview started, we did some small talk because he said he was looking for an apartment in my neighborhood. He explained the purpose of the interview and explained how it was going to be conducted, then he proceeded to swear me in. He asked if I had traveled after submitting my application or if any other information had changed, I said no so he went over the application with me. I received a summons back in 2007, so he asked for the court disposition. Then he asked me to read "What country borders the U.S. in the south", and after that he asked me to write "We celebrate Columbus day in October", that seemed weird because I read many times that people are asked to read and write related Q & A... But anyway, that part was over and then he proceeded to ask:

1.- What was the purpose of the declaration of independence?
2.- Name one part of the government?
3.- What does the cabinet do?
4.- If both the president and vice president are incapacitated who becomes president?
5.- How many justices in the supreme court?
6.- We elect senators for how many years?

This part was done so he started to sign and initialize a bunch of papers, then he had me sign and write my name in a few other places. This was done and over, he congratulated me and said he was going to recommend my application for approval. However, he said because of the summons, a supervisor had to go over my application for final approval and I was not going to be able to get the oath letter right away. He said I should not worry about it, that it was normal procedure and I will most likely get my letter next week... So I have to wait a little more, but he also said there's a big chance I will get the letter for the ceremony on 12/30, keeping fingers crossed.

So all and all I feel very relieved, but won't be 100% happy until I get that letter.

Have a great weekend!

Is it possible to get a same day processing of Passport or say 1 day processing? I am scheduled to take the oath on 12/18 and was wondering if we could get a 1 or 2 day passport processing as we could plan a vacation.

Yes. Make an appointment with the NY passport office before your oath and then show up there and say that you need the passport in 1 day.

Yes you can It depends if you get the appointment for the passport office and if you have confirm air ticket.
I did got for my daughter within two hours but I had to go to philadelphia to get it. because I couldnt get the urgent appointment, they have one week latter appointment.but i got sameday appointment with Philadelphia office so I went there to get the Passport.I got it within two hours.

Hi guys!
Glad to join this branch of forum (I'm from Brooklyn)
I have some questions, and will be very appreciated if someone explain me:
I see that some people, after finger prints receive "Yellow Letter" - what is this ? And should everyone receive it?
Also, after reading the forum, I find the "info pass" termini. Can someone tell me what does it mean in our context?
Good luck everyone who's waiting like me, and congrads for those who's already been naturalized...

There are separate threads about yellow letter and info pass.
Not everybody receives a yellow letter. I received and was told to bring my driver's licence, however, during interview I wasn't asked for it. So I think that the yellow letter is meaningless.
If you think that uscis customer service by phone is useless, you make an info pass appointment http://infopass.uscis.gov/ Here you meet with IO in person.
Good luck and lots of patience!

If you check my time line, you will similar pattern. YL came 38 days after FP.

I just got my yellow letter! Date is 12/15, received on 12/22. Is it normal that it came so long after my fingerprinting? I see that Manishvora_99 applied over a month after I did and got his yellow letter at the same time I did. Is that normal? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.