New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

The reason of denial is that under the law even though my father signed my birth certificate at birth I'm not considered a "legitmate child" of my father because a child born out of wedlock can only be legitmated through the marriage of the parents before the child turn 16. Well I turned 16 in march of 02 and my parents got married in august of 02 just my luck. I know its all a bunch of bullshit, because why did they issue me a passport but I need my citizenship to keep my job so I have to have to fix it. So to people out there whose have kids make sure that you cover all the bases before your child turn 18.

You are absolutely right - it's all BS.

In March 1995 in NYS a document called "Acknowledgement of Paternity" was introduced as a supplement to a birth certificate for children born out of wed-lock. This document needs to be signed by both man and a woman, then it gets registered with government.
Before March 1995 paternity was established without this additional piece of paper and having man's name on a birth certificate was sufficient enough to establish paternity.

Other states might have had Acknowledgement of Paternity even before 1995.

Why don't you research this, it might be helpful.

The reason of denial is that under the law even though my father signed my birth certificate at birth I'm not considered a "legitmate child" of my father because a child born out of wedlock can only be legitmated through the marriage of the parents before the child turn 16. Well I turned 16 in march of 02 and my parents got married in august of 02 just my luck. I know its all a bunch of bullshit, because why did they issue me a passport but I need my citizenship to keep my job so I have to have to fix it. So to people out there whose have kids make sure that you cover all the bases before your child turn 18.

Can you give a little history? How did you come to the United States (that is, who sponsored you for your green card?)? Did you get your citizenship when your parents or parent naturalized? Or did you get one by claiming derivative citizenship?

I came to the U.S. as LPR aslways had a green card my father sponsered me I was in his custody from the time of entry and got my citizenship when my father naturalized in 04.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Denial Letter

Hello All,
Just wanted to let you know what is happening with my naturalization process. I have received denial note dated 6/22/2009 - my husband picked it up from the post office on 7/10/2009 as we received the note for the certified mail on 7/9/2009 - WOW 3 weeks for the letter to get to my house and its mailed from New York City to New York suburb. Amazing. Anyhow, without ever asking me for additional documents they denied the application because they dont believe me and my husband live together. BECAUSE ( HERE IS THE BOMB) i appear in the public records as a co owner of mine and my brothers house located just 5 minutes from our address. The house is an investment property, purchased with money inherited from our father and fully occupied by tenants. It has always been. As far as i am aware if you have money you can have as many properties as you like, but that does not mean that you live in all of them, does it?
Now i am so fed up, so mad. I don't know what to do, i don`t know if i want to be an American citizen anymore - i am so tired of making copies and dealing with the f... American immigration bureaucracy. I forgot to mention i was given 30 days to appeal but with ANOTHER FEE OF $605. And going to hearings with my husband, him missing school - the whole thing it will take 3-5 months. IS IT WORTH IT to be part of a country with no jobs, no money and unknown future?
Well, anyone interested being an American Citizen?

PS. Just to remind you - i filed a complaint against the officer who interviewed me, so i am wondering if that is the reason why they did not send me a note to submit additional documents and explanation for my investment property, as opposed to denying my application?

I had my citizenship interview today at 26 federal plaze, NY. My oppintment time was 8:40. I went to there by 7:50, and officer called my name by 8:45. The officer who interviewed me was professional and very pleasant. She ask me for green card and passport, then ask me the question on the N400 form. After that she asked me 6 questions , read 1 sentence, wrote 1 sentence. After all this, she asked me for marriage cerit. then told me to wait outside for my O.C. letter. This interview only took me 10 mins. I came out the building by 10:00, and i have O.C. tomorrow on 1:00 at 26 federal plaza.
Thanks for all your help! Thanks ! Thanks!
:):D:cool:

Or almost mentioning to the IO the speeding ticket he received from NYPD on the way to the ceremony. :D:D

Felicitations!

:D:D:DNo, This is what happened guys and I wish it doesn't happen to anyone else. It was a really tense 45 minutes in my life. After processing (appointment letter verified by officials, I checked the questions in the back and signed the naturalization certificate), the woman who process me returned the appointment letter back to me and told me at the end of the ceremony she will take it back. I don't know why she couldn't just keep it. I told her no problem and went back to my seat. While waiting for the judge, I went to use the bathroom. On my way to the bathroom the appointment felt out of my hand but I didn't realized that until it was time for me to get the certificate. I looked inside the envelope, my pockets, and around my seat I couldn't find the letter. I started to look all over the place. I went back to the bathroom, the letter was no where to be found. I really started freakin out. Then, I went up to the lady and explained the situation. Her response was" sir, I'm sorry to hear that but without this letter I can't issue you the certificate". I really started going crazy at this moment. Then, I went up to the front security desk, I asked them if anyone has returned a letter that I might have accidentally dropped on the floor. One of the officers looked inside a little box and bang there was the letter. Evidently, a good samaritan saw it on the floor, picked it up, and brought it to security. I was so happy, I had tears in my eyes people. Wow, it was a crazy moment.

Everything i provided was the same and matching my only address i have ever lived with my husband. Also IO never asked me for any additional documents or not even an explanation of why do i appear on the public record as an owner - i have an explanation and proof - leases and rent receipts. My tenants live there. The other thing is that i have owned the house for 3 years and they have done background checks many times on me - how come now it is a problem and not months ago when i got the approval of my permanent residency?

Hello All,
Just wanted to let you know what is happening with my naturalization process. I have received denial note dated 6/22/2009 - my husband picked it up from the post office on 7/10/2009 as we received the note for the certified mail on 7/9/2009 - WOW 3 weeks for the letter to get to my house and its mailed from New York City to New York suburb. Amazing. Anyhow, without ever asking me for additional documents they denied the application because they dont believe me and my husband live together. BECAUSE ( HERE IS THE BOMB) i appear in the public records as a co owner of mine and my brothers house located just 5 minutes from our address. The house is an investment property, purchased with money inherited from our father and fully occupied by tenants. It has always been. As far as i am aware if you have money you can have as many properties as you like, but that does not mean that you live in all of them, does it?
Now i am so fed up, so mad. I don't know what to do, i don`t know if i want to be an American citizen anymore - i am so tired of making copies and dealing with the f... American immigration bureaucracy. I forgot to mention i was given 30 days to appeal but with ANOTHER FEE OF $605. And going to hearings with my husband, him missing school - the whole thing it will take 3-5 months. IS IT WORTH IT to be part of a country with no jobs, no money and unknown future?
Well, anyone interested being an American Citizen?

PS. Just to remind you - i filed a complaint against the officer who interviewed me, so i am wondering if that is the reason why they did not send me a note to submit additional documents and explanation for my investment property, as opposed to denying my application?

On my first interview I had the worst experience with an officer at the Federal Plaza building. She was rude and unprofessional, and basically closed the door on my face after giving me a letter for a follow up appointment. No chance to ask questions. Nothing. She did, however, give me an opportunity to bring additional documents to substantiate my case (I also applied on the basis of marriage). Too bad you had to deal with that! But don't give up: the officer on my second interview was basically an angel: helpful, courteous and reasonable. He even gave me an oath date on the spot for the following Friday. What I mean is that I understand your frustrations, but they are no reason to give up; apart from a few incompetent officers here and there, it's a great system.

RFE after receiving oath letter?

I apologize in advance for the long post but wanted to include all details:

I passed the interview July 23 at Garden city. We arrived 30 minutes ahead of time, we checked in downstairs then were directed to the 2nd floor but my husband was not allowed in.
The waiting area was packed and small, no way the spouses could fit in so guess it did make sense but still. I counted approximtely 80 people there before 9:30 and was sure that I was going to wait 4 hours at least for the interview, but around 10:45, I was called in by an elder guy who got my name right!! You gotta be careful and listen because the IO's can mispronounce your name or not speak loud enough and they put you at the end of the file if they don't find you right away. There was a loud ceiling fan, really annoying when you're trying to understand whose name they're calling. Cell phones were allowed in the building and while you couldn't really talk in the waiting area, you could just step back in the hallway if needed.
I followed the IO in his office, there was asked to take an oath to say the truth, sign pictures, then he said let's take the test first so started asking questions. He was very calm, so it helped me get into "calm mode" too.

My 6 questions:

Who's in charge of the executive branch?
If the president can no longer serve, who becomes president?
There are 4 amendments to the Right to vote. Describe one of them.
What's one reason the colonists came to the US?
What's one right of the first amendment?
During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the US?

Read: Who lives in the White House?
Write: The president lives in the White House.

Then he started going through the N400 application, checking biographic info plus the series of questions at the end. He did not ask about my trips back home (I visit my parents every year) or anything else.

He also did not ask for all the stuff I was prepared to give: marriage certificate, naturalization certificate, SS card, my husband's ID copy...but said since I was filing on the basis of marriage to a US citizen, I had to prove marital union and proceeded to request:

-Tax transcripts for 2008 (I had filed before I submitted taxes for this year)

-Utility bills for 2006 and 2007 (I gave him electricity and cell phone bills)

-Joint account statements for 2006 and 2007, I also gave him a letter from the bank stating we had joint accounts and date they were opened, etc..

-Joint health insurance (I have insurance through the university but he has no insurance so i just told him I don't have that)

-Leases for 2006 and 2007 (I also handed him a letter from our landlord)

So, yes a lot of paperwork to submit!!! He was very nice and courteous but I really thought he was just waiting for me to say: No, I don't have those!!

After that, gave me to sign a bunch of paperwork and stamped approved in big red letters on my file. I thanked him, was handed the N652 and was told to wait downstairs for the oath letter. He said wait would be 20 minutes, was more like an 1 hour 20. We went out across the street for lunch and by the time we came back , letter was ready, oath is scheduled for Aug 4 at 8:30 at Brooklyn court in Cadman Plaza. We left at 1:20 pm from there. Total time spent: nearly 4 hours.

NOW this morning july 25, I received an email from USCIS:

Application Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent

On July 23, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, call 1-800-375-5283 to update your address.

So what does this mean? I have the oath letter for aug 4. I'll wait for the RFE on Monday to see exactly what they need but this is just terrible. Like they gave you something and took it back. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I have a question.
Do person must came only 30 minutes before scheduled interview time, or he/she can come 2-3 hour before appointment time and get interviewed even before scheduled time? Or if not just sit in the waiting room till his time comes? Or they will not even let you in if you arrive 2-3 hours before your interview?

:(

On my first interview I had the worst experience with an officer at the Federal Plaza building. She was rude and unprofessional, and basically closed the door on my face after giving me a letter for a follow up appointment. No chance to ask questions. Nothing. She did, however, give me an opportunity to bring additional documents to substantiate my case (I also applied on the basis of marriage). Too bad you had to deal with that! But don't give up: the officer on my second interview was basically an angel: helpful, courteous and reasonable. He even gave me an oath date on the spot for the following Friday. What I mean is that I understand your frustrations, but they are no reason to give up; apart from a few incompetent officers here and there, it's a great system.

Well, thanks to my husband i decided to not give up, although i am tired of dealing with immigration for 5 long years. We submitted everything we had and as a matter of fact they got it on time and cashed the check the following day (they must really need the money). So i will now just wait. I am not sure how this process works and if we are going to receive a letter that documents have been received and now we have to wait. I am not sure if all the cases go to court in front of a judge and fight it or you can also get decision letter based on the documents you send. I would rather appear in court, as i hear that almost all cases with real facts like ours DO WIN in court. But we will see, time will show.
Thanks to everyone for the support and if anyone knows a case similar to mine, please share your experience.

Hello everybody. I had my interview yesterday at fedral plaza. I am from wetchester county and my interview time was 8.45am. I took an early train and reached fedral plaza at around 7.30. It took me 10 mins to clear security and reach the 7th floor. Submitted my notice at 7.50am and thought I would wait for atleast an hour but to my surprise I was called at 8.10am. My IO was a spanish lady very nice and professional. She took me to her cabin all the way in the back and before I sat she told me raise my right hand and swear to say the truth. After that she asked me that if I am apply because of my marriage to my US citizen spouse and I said yes. Then she went over my N400 aplication making sure veryhting was the same and no changes. Then came the civic test, she had 10 questions and stopped after I answered 6. She then asked me to read and write a sentence which I did. Then she asked me if I had some documents regarding my marriage and I gave her the tax transcripts, gas bill and cable bill. I have a vacation home in florida but she said she needs only from New York. She asked me if I had any bank statements which I did and she was satisfied with that. She said she has approved my application and whether I like to wait for for the oath letter to which I said yes. It took me 15 minutes for the whole process. But here is the intersting part, it took 2 hours for them to give me the oath letter. Overall it was a nice expereince. I hope this helps people.

3/26/09 - Application send
4/28/09 - FP Done/Cleared
06/15/09 - IL Rec'd
07/28/09 - ID (Fedral Plaza - APPROVED)
07/28/09 - Oath Notice
08/19/09 - Oath Date

Hello all --

This is a very helpful forum. Thank you to all those who share their experiences.
Have one quick question:

How can I request copies of my tax returns from IRS for the last five years?
Just in case, I want to have them for the interview.

Thank you.
------
NYC
Sent N-400: 6/16/09
FPD: 07/10/09
IL: ---
ID: ---
OL: ---
OD: ---
PP: ---

File this form (link below) and fax it to IRS or call 1-800-829-1954 to request it over the phone. There are many forms, the one you need is the tax account transcript.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Hope this helps.

:)

Little update!!

Yahoo!!! I'm a USC!!! After a stressful week , I'm finally American (there was no mention of the RFE email I received after the interview so I guess it was a clerical error) The oath was at 8:30 at Cadman Plaza. I was late because we headed for Cadman Plaza without checking if it was East or West and of course went a long way in the wrong direction. This part of downtown Brooklyn is huge, the blocks are really large, by the time we made it to the courthouse, it was 9am. The room was packed but 5 people arrived after me. We were told to fill in the form, have the GC ready and wait to be called to the front table row by row. Once you get there, they take your GC (has a little pang of sadness when we parted ) and check that all questions were answered on the form then have your check the naturalization certificate for any errors. Then, you basically wait for the judge to come to administer the oath, in between, small speech from someone from the NYC human rights commission, and the people from voters' registration. At 11:00, the judge comes swirling in her robe and we all rise for the oath. Really only nice moment as we were all connected somehow. at 11:10 after a very short speech, the judge goes swirling out and they start calling row by row again to hand the certificates. 11;30: the whole thing ended. I was happy, relieved and emotional:) However, no one in there was cos it just looked like a regular administrative office, only difference, the 2 US flags and elevated table. I felt like I was at social security or something, I guess it did take a little out of the solemn event, a lot of people who had been sworn in at the courthouse before said the place was beautiful and you really felt that it was a great occasion. I'm sure they were renovating or something because I've never heard of an expedient ceremony like today's, no emotion, no flags, no videos, no letter from Obama, no pictures, no videos, no cell phones, no family, just a cold administrative procedure. Please don't get me wrong, I'm very happy and proud but would've wanted a liitle more meaning for today's event. When I came out, my husband ad sister were waiting for me, they had been directed to the 3rd floor cafeteria where they waited for me, they said everybody there was sleeping because the wait was long;) Sorry for the detailed report but I know this may be useful to some people taking their oaths in Brooklyn soon. So,no cell phones or cameras are allowed in the entire building and the family is not allowed at all in the room, you just meet them outside when it's finished. We had a lunch celebration then headed to the post office for the passport. It felt a little strange to have no GC and no certificate but I'm so happy to be getting my passport soon.
Good luck to you all and thank you for this wonderful resource!!!

the family is not allowed at all in the room, you just meet them outside when it's finished.

Wow, I guess they were in a real hurry to get the ceremony over with. I took my oath at the same courthouse just under a year ago, and they allowed family members into the courtroom. I do agree that the ceremony was somewhat anticlimactic. After more than 2 hours of handing in GCs and reviewing natz certificates, the court clerk had us recite the oath, the judge gave a 5 minute speech, and that was it. Nonetheless, I felt a sense of pride and closure, as a major chapter in my life came to an end, while a new one began. Congratulations and enjoy your new citizenship. Don't forget to register to vote!

How long do I have to wait? Any action can I take now?

At some level, I wasn't too surprised about what happened to me on Monday. I received a letter with a scheduled interview about 2 months ago. Monday morning (08/03/09), my daughter and I woke up 5am to drive to Garden City for my interview. (When we actually live 15 mins away from Federal Plaza.) We got there early. After an hour wait, a supervisor came out and told me that my files didn't even arrive their office yet. He then went and explained the details to my daughter that this has happened to 15 other people for the past week. (Am I surprised? Not at all....) We were both bumped out. The supervisor said to me he will call us as soon as he gets the files and we can schedule the interview again. I mean... seriously.... how did stuff like this happen? How can I have an interview schedule 2 months ago, and on the day of my interview the officer said they don't even have the files. Something is seriously wrong. I have tried calling the supervisor today to follow up the status. Of course, I didn't even get to talk to him. All I got was a person writing down my number and said he will pass the message. I know similar thing happened to "Naijaland" in the Federal Plaza. IS there any suggestions what I should do now? I really can't use words to express my frustration now.

Last thing I want to say is: Congratulations to SouthSideQueens. We both have the interview scheduled on the same day but with completely different outcome. I really wish mine process could be as half smooth as yours.

AHHHHHHH!!!! (this is exactly how I feel now....!)

Today I completed my Oath ceremony at Cadman Plaza. The whole process took about 3 hours. You can bring in cell phones, however, after you pass through the metal detectors you will have to hand in your phones since they are not allowed inside the Naturalization room. I would estimate that there were about 200 people there. The majority of the time spent in there is just waiting for everyone to sit down, then getting up and making lines row by row to hand in your Green Card and sign your Nat Certificate. Then the Judge came down, made us take the Oath and gave a 5 minute speech. There was 1 person who was not allowed to take his Nat Certificate because they were missing his photo. They told him that he would become naturalized today, however, he would have to go back to Garden City with passport style photos so they can give him his certificate.

In my opinion the Oath Ceremony was actually boring. A lot of people wanted to get this over with, including myself. Actually I didn't feel a sense of pride in becoming a Citizen. I guess it's because I came to the US when I was 3 years old and this is the country i grew up in and can call home. I always felt like I was born in the US. And 22 years later, It's official now that I'm a Citizen. Long time waiting.

Good luck to everyone else waiting. And special thanks to this forum for giving valuable information.....

Today was my naturalization interview at Garden City. My appointment time was 9:10AM and I was allowed to go in around 8:30AM. I was in the waiting room for approximately before my name was called. The gentleman was very polite and I passed with flying colors. I will not mention his name but the question were:

1.How many representatives are there in Congress?
2.For how long do we elect the representatives?
3.Who is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?
4.Who is the father of the nation?
5.Name a war fought in the 19th century?

After signing some paperwork, I was told to wait downstairs. I waited for approximately two hours and I was given my oath letter. I will take my oath at Camden Plaza next week Thursday. In all this was a very short journey and my interviewer was pleasant and informative. I will write more...when I take the actual oath!

Thanks for all the great advice!

Got my fingerprints taken today at Woodside, from the time I became a LPR this process has improved 100%... In and out in 15 minutes.

Congrats to those who had their interviews and oaths recently, looking forward to my turn.

Take care