New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

I had my Oath on Friday, May 29, 2009 and I am finally over and done with the naturalization. My Oath experience was no different from the others. Standard process as described many times over here except for the travel issue. The IO did check my Passport to verifiy entry and exit stamps. I was really scared when one IO referred me to the other and the 2nd one verified everything and questioned me. Then the two IO's looked at each other and one asked the other "Should I ...." and the first one said, yeah "Go ahead ...". That was it, I was really $&#@ my pants but I asked her is everything ok and she said yes. I did not believe her until she signed the appointment letter and let me see the naturalization certificate. That was the scariest moment. They however refused Oath to a guy who was arrested. He brought his papers but was still denied. Don't know the details of his case.

Anyway I will wait for N-14 or any letter from USCIS. If my case is not approved I will file a complaint.

Why do you wish to file a complaint against the immigration officer only if your case doesn't get approved? If officer did something ethically wrong in performing his duties/job then why you are connecting his actions with the approval of your application? Don't you think his actions then should be reported regardless of the outcome on your application? If your application were to be denied and then you file a complaint against the officer then your complaint wouldn't get much attention as it might consider as if you are angry with his decision and they will just ask you to file an appeal against the denial of your application than anything else.

If you want to file a complaint then you should make it now than making the decision to do so only if your application were to be denied; otherwise not only it will be considered self-serving motive but also a rage/anger and disagreement from your part against the officer. You should immediately file the complaint like the Bulgarian woman did as she filed the complaint immediately right off coming out of USCIS building.

First off I want to thank all those who post in this forum because it was enormously helpful to me as I went through the process. I started the process as a French national who has resided in NYC for 30 years as a permanent resident (green card since 6/1979). Though the process was extremely smooth and fast for me, it was very helpful to know from these blogs what to expect at the interview and at the ceremony. In particular, several postings specifying which documents to bring to the interview -beyond what it stated on the interview date letter, were invaluable. As my timeline shows, I took the oath of naturalization this morning at Federal Plaza in NYC. I feel extremely privileged to write this post as a US citizen. In order to 'give back' to this forum I thought I would describe what happens at the oath ceremony at federal plaza in Manhattan.
OATH CEREMONY: 225 people from 65 countries took the oath, the convocation was for 8:30am. We presented our oath convocation letter as we entered the room (same room as where i waited for the interview 2 weeks ago, different seating arrangement), went to one of the booth to turn in our green card. Then we were seated and turned in our oath letter (they later distributed the certificate in the order in which we were seated, by row). The ceremony got underway shortly after 9:00 am once everyone was seated and lasted approximately 30 minutes; after they read the name of all the countries represented on this day, we all stood and recited the oath (with guidance), then later recited the pledge of allegiance, listened to the national anthem, and watched a brief welcoming message from president Obama. It was very efficient and quick yet extremely moving to me. They passed around the aisles and told people to turn in immigration documents that had been issued by US authorities, and had envelopes available for people to take and later mail such documents in case they had not brought them. Certificates were distributed by row and we were told to sign our certificate EXACTLY AS WE HAD SIGNED OUR PHOTOS AT THE INTERVIEW. People not applying for passports were free to leave.
PASSPORT APPLICATION FOLLOWING CEREMONY: Those wishing to apply for passport were invited to stay in the room. First we had our signed certificate photocopied by HS staff as the original certificate goes with the passport application. There was a brief explanation of the fee structure (passport book, card, expedited service etc...). Individuals who had not brought photos went to a different floor to get photographed and returned to the 7th floor (sorry I do not know the cost as I had brought photos). Though it initially seemed like it was going to take a very long time (2 HS officers were there to process the applications), it actually went quite fast, I was out by 11am.
Good luck to all of you reading these posts.

My N400 timeline for future reference
2/3/09:N-400 Fedexed to USCIS Lewisville, TX
2/5/09:N-400 Received.
3/6/09: Fingerprints appt @ Varick street
5/20/09: Interview appointment @ Federal Plaza
5/20/09: oath letter received (after interview)
6/5/09: Oath ceremony @ Federal Plaza
6/5/09: passport application (onsite after ceremony)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi robin2006,
I am so sorry for the way your interview went, but wait to hear my story and maybe it will make you feel better knowing you are not the only one.
My interview was at Federal Plaza on April 22, 2009. I went there with my husband; interview was scheduled for 9:30 am i went in at 10:30 am and the nightmares begun. As soon as i approached the door i saw the most angry face in the world. She did not smile, did not say a thing just took me in to her office, made me swear and started with the questions. Asked for my green card, passport and social security, which i gave to her and i also handed her my marriage license, and she told me in the most rude way : "I did not ask for this". Then i knew this will be a really bad experience. She went through the application first verifying everything and then asked 6 history questions which i got all right so she stopped and made me read and write one sentence, which i did correct. I forgot to mention that she had a very heavy Russian accent, and although i am Bulgarian and we have similar languages was difficult at times to understand her, so she also got upset when i had asked her to repeat certain words. For instance she asked if any of my relatives reside in City Hall? The way i understood this at first is if any of them live there, but it did not make sense so :confused: i thought she meant to say if anyone worked there? I answered No and she questioned me? Seriously my husband's family barely speaks English, neither my Mom, so i just wanted to scream at her. Then she said: "give me all the proof". I started looking at her really confused and she said she wanted lease agreements, credit card bills, statements, life insurance, everything me and my husband had together. And i told her i did not have it because the note i got from them did not ask for it. And there was no comment from her - i also asked her to use her computer and print our bills and statements, but she just ignored me. Luckily i had brought 2008 Tax Returns, also my husband took some recent bank statements and evidence of old health insurance, which i handed to her. She was really giving me hard time with the fact that i am unemployed (excuse me but we are in recession and i am unemployed with just another 7 million people ) and questioned how do we support each other, how long was i unemployed why? , why is my husband full time student etc. which i thought is very inappropriate for this type of interview. She asked for my husband Driving license and i am just wondering how would i have it if he did not come with me to the interview???? Then she made me go outside find him and get his license - although i have submitted copies just 4 months ago, along with everything else she was asking? Seriously 4 months is not that much - how many more new bills and credit cards we can get, especially that i am unemployed and my husband full time student. And i am sorry but our lease does not get renewed every for months. Then she took tho whole file - 20 lbs of paper, but i guess not enough, and went somewhere for about 5-10 minutes. My guess is to the supervisor to talk about my file. She then returned and said i could leave, handed a note saying i passed the history part, but decision can not be made and checked all underneath - to appear for oath, to send docs if asked etc. Made me write my name on my pictures and some other documents. As soon as i walked outside i was on the phone with USCIS sharing with them my experience after the interview and they advised to call DHS and file a complaint which i did right away - i gave them her name, my info etc. Well it has been five and a half weeks and i have not heard anything, although i call every other week to speak to an officer - they just tell me what i know already. The only thing is that they changed my name in the system - i wanted to go back to my maiden name - not sure good or bad sign.
So i am just waiting to get a letter or something, but nothing so far :(:mad: and will be more then happy to read your comments.
I had the same lady I am pretty sure. I am so glad i read your post AFTER my interview because otherwise I would have instantly recognized the description and panicked though i would have had absolutely no reason to do so. I was fortunate to figure out what I was dealing with as the onset of the interview and qualified all my replies with 'yes officer' and 'no officer' and 'thank you very much officer.' I tired making a joke at some point and she said "just say 'yes'... They do have a very important job so I can understand the stress they must feel under, like the TSA airport employees, important job that leaves little room for pleasantries.

Hi, all members in this forum, I had my interview at Garden City office on June 4 and passed. received the Oath letter after waiting for 3 hours. Ceremony will take on June 17, 8:30Am. at Cadman plaza in Brooklyn.
Now I have a problem that is I already planned to have 8 days cruise vacation from 9th, first I realize I will finish the trip on June 16 night, but I came back to home, I checked the ship abroad will be dated on 17th 8A. I don't know whether I can get the taxi easily to attend the Oath ceremony at 8:30A. The Carnival cruise will be aboard at 711,12th Avenue, 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019.
1)If I arrived the Cadman Plaza later than 8:30A, can I admit into the court?
2)Whether we can bring along with our hand carry luggage or leave it at the security as my husband also wish to attend my Oath ceremony?
3)Can I applied the passport & change SSA information at Cadman Plaza after ceremony?
4)Really all cameras and cell phones were collected at the entrance and returned after the ceremony?

Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum!

N-400 sent to VSC: 12/15/2008
Priority date:12/18/2008
Fingerprint Done: 1/14/2009 at Livingston Street, Brooklyn
Interview Date: 6/4/2009 at Stewart Avenue, Garden City
Oath Letter Received: 6/4/2009
Oath Date: 6/17/2009 at Cadman plaza, Brooklyn
page 12 of naturalization guide from USCIS website:

What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?
If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the “Notice of Naturalization
Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) that you received to your local USCIS office. Include
a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local USCIS office will reschedule you and send you a new “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) to tell you when your ceremony will be.

hi, for people who applied for passport on same day in federal plaza, NY how much and how did you pay for passport book ? Did you fill in DS 11 application before and took it with you for oath ceremony or will that help ? They need 2 photos, right ? apart from submitting Green card, do u need to carry your country's paasport with you too ?

Thanks.
passport applic @ fed plazza: I was given a ds11 form when I was given the oath letter at the interview so I filled out mine before I got to oath ceremony but they were also distributing those forms on oath day; YES you need 2 photos. YES take your passport with you, I did not need mine but I saw a couple of people asked for theirs. Not sure what dictates that request (also see Bond posting on June 1 on p29 of this forum, his passport was checked).
passport fee structure was as follows when I did it last week TO BE PAID BY PERSONAL CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ( I am doing this from memory, please check at the travel.gov website):
Passport book regular service (4-6 weeks they say) = $100, express service (2-3 wks) = 160, there was option for overnight delivery on express service and I believe that was an additional $14.75-again please check;
Passportbook + passport card: regular service =120, express =180 (I got both because I like the card to use as everyday ID, unlike DMV it does not bear one's Soc sec # which I prefer).
THEY WILL TAKE YOUR CERTIFICATE after making you a copy. certificate will come back in the mail SEPARATELY from passport; passport card will also come in the mail separately from the above 2 items we were told.
Good luck

Third times the charm and Federal Plaza sucks. I passed my interview at Garden City this morning. I got there 10 minutes before my interview time and got seen about 15 minutes later (just 5 minutes after my appointment time!). You check in downstairs where the receptionist time stamps your interview letter than you go upstairs, drop the letter off in a box and wait.

My immigration officer was an older Chinese woman, whose accent was a little hard to understand, but not bad, and was quite chatty. After bringing all the evidence about 4 year + 1 day rule (e.g., proof of residency established 4 years ago), she ignored it. Basically said that since a US company sent me abroad for work and since the last long absence that was within the 5 year statutory period was 8 months, I didn't break continous residency. She adjudicated based on 5 year statutory period (she actually re-checked that box on the cover of the application -- I had marked "other" and wrote in the 4 year + 1 day rule and citation). She spent half the time mumbling that I shouldn't have been denied last time, while flipping through my file, checking dates and making notes. (My last unsuccessful interview was at Federal Plaza with a young Chinese woman -- hence Federal Plaza sucks.) I mentioned how crazy it was that the other interviewer thought that to maintain continuous residency I should have paid US taxes and not taken foreign tax credit for the UK taxes I paid (i.e., be taxed at 80%). Her exact response was: "She's not IRS". On the one hand, awesome, but on the other, very annoyed with the randomness of adjudication. Honestly, whatever reasonable advice anyone gets on the board, outcome is primarily dependent on which officer you get and how good/bad their day is going.

I brought new photos with me just in case and she thought those were better (!), so had me sign those and gave me back my old photos. She then asked and confirmed the questions in the back of the application. She looked at my greencard. Did not look at my passport or driver's license. Did not ask for any old passports.

She asked me the following civics questions:
Name a war in the 1900. (WWII)
Who is the Chief Justice. (John Roberts)
How many representatives in the House. (435)
Who is the Father of Our Country. (George Washington)
When are presidential elections held. (November)

Had me read: Who can vote?
Had me write: Citizens can vote.

She gave me the congratulations notice and told me to go downstairs for my oath letter. She said she thought that the next available date was June 24th.

The receptionist told me oath letters take about 2 hours after interview, so went and had breakfast. Got oath letter in under 2 hours (June 22nd in Central Islip). Must say, compared to Federal Plaza, Garden City is a well-oiled machine...at least if you have a morning appointment. By the time I was leaving (10 am), it was getting quite crowded.

Hi there

I had the same lady I am pretty sure. I am so glad i read your post AFTER my interview because otherwise I would have instantly recognized the description and panicked though i would have had absolutely no reason to do so. I was fortunate to figure out what I was dealing with as the onset of the interview and qualified all my replies with 'yes officer' and 'no officer' and 'thank you very much officer.' I tired making a joke at some point and she said "just say 'yes'... They do have a very important job so I can understand the stress they must feel under, like the TSA airport employees, important job that leaves little room for pleasantries.

Hi,

I do realize they have important jobs and i am very far from the thought i am there to have a good time or something like that. But trust me this lady was very rude and unprofessional. She did not even want to look for certain documents throughout my 20 lbs of paper and that is her job, especially that in the note i got i was not asked to bring any additional documentation, besides my green card, marriage certificate and my husband's passport. She asked for all documents i had to provide at our I-485 interview, and she had them all at her desk. Anyway, i am wondering now what is going on with my case as it has been 55 days, i call every week and speak to level 2 customer service - they give you way more info. But nothing has been decided on my case yet. All they say is that decision has not been made, and no additional documents have been requested. I was also told that my background check and name check are cleared otherwise they would not schedule my interview. I am now wondering what is holding up their decision, if they don't need any other docs from me and all checks are cleared:(. I am also curious could it be because i filed complaint with DHS and reported her name, my name etc.?
Do you have any idea except the info pass that i will schedule soon, who else i can write to get some more info?

Thanks

Hi,

I do realize they have important jobs and i am very far from the thought i am there to have a good time or something like that. But trust me this lady was very rude and unprofessional. She did not even want to look for certain documents throughout my 20 lbs of paper and that is her job, especially that in the note i got i was not asked to bring any additional documentation, besides my green card, marriage certificate and my husband's passport. She asked for all documents i had to provide at our I-485 interview, and she had them all at her desk. Anyway, i am wondering now what is going on with my case as it has been 55 days, i call every week and speak to level 2 customer service - they give you way more info. But nothing has been decided on my case yet. All they say is that decision has not been made, and no additional documents have been requested. I was also told that my background check and name check are cleared otherwise they would not schedule my interview. I am now wondering what is holding up their decision, if they don't need any other docs from me and all checks are cleared:(. I am also curious could it be because i filed complaint with DHS and reported her name, my name etc.?
Do you have any idea except the info pass that i will schedule soon, who else i can write to get some more info?

Thanks
I apologize if I conveyed the idea that you did not take the interview seriously. All I meant with my comment was that i understand why these officers may be stressed and somewhat rude but it is not an excuse and being unprofessional is never excusable. We saw a recent posting from the gentleman who was interviewed this Wed. in NJ describing a lovely experience with his interviewer. So I think as someone else said there are rules and policies but like everywhere else beyond that it depends in large part on the individual's disposition and mood. it shouldn't but it does. You see that everywhere.
I would venture that in theory filing a complaint would not affect your case though there is probably no telling the effects it has in practice. I hope someone on these postings will be able to answer your Infopass/case question, most importantly I hope your case is successfully resolved soon; this forum has a lot of tales of bumps in the road with successful resolutions.

Hey guys,

I was sworn in at the Brooklyn courthouse yesterday, June 12. I had been scheduled for June 19. I have to leave for Europe for business on June 18. So I made an INFOPASS appointment and they were able to change the date.

The swear-in process was pretty routine. It was just long; I left the courthouse shortly before noon. I was disappointed that they did not give new citizens a souvenir such as an American flag. A lady from some city agency also delivered a pretty boring speech about how should we fight discrimination that we would face. Saying this on the day we became naturalized was NOT exactly uplifting. I did not like that a bit.

I did however enjoy the short and touching speech by the presiding federal judge.

I just received a letter for additional documents.
1. 1040 tax returns with copies of W2 forms for the past 5 years
2. Divorce decree

I am applying based on 5 year on GC basis not the marriage basis but was married to US citizen.
This is my timeline
Applied NYC Jan 15 2009
NOA Jan 26 2009
Checks cleared Feb 5 2009
Fingerprint Appointment Letter Feb 11 2009
Fingerprint Appointment Feb 26 2009 (all good)
May 12 2009 Interview (passed)
June 12 2009 Request for additional documents

Do I have something to be worried about. I submitted past 3 years of tax returns with my original application but now IO is requesting last 5 years. I was in US for the entire time period and filed my taxes correctly and appropriately.
Is this part of the standard process?
I would appreciate any help
Thanks

My Oath experience on June 17 at Cadman plaza

I have attended my Oath Ceremony just after my 8 day cruise vacation on June 17, 8:30Am. I was afraid I would late because the ship scheduled to aboard at 8Am. Morning call at 6:30Am, then I woke up & went to eat breakfast. There were many passengers already having their breakfast. 7:30A, I brought my hand carry luggage to queue for abroad. About 10+ passengers were waiting for the first group to leave the ship. I was glad that it was arrived NY pier on time before 8Am, then I called a rental car to pick up me at #90 pier. There were 6 immigration staffs waited us at the pier counters. I presented the declaration form and checked with my passport, green card and both index fingers print.
I left the pier by rental car to Cadman Plaza in 30 mins at about 9Am. Passed through the security and left my camera & mobile phone for storage. When I walked up to the court at 2nd floor, there were full of 300+ people having their seats inside. 3 ladies & a gentleman staffs were sitting in front of the long table at the middle. I lied up after 3 persons to present my appointment letter to a young lady, marked down I have left US for 8 days to Bahamas, then wrote down my address, date and signed, then she asked me to take my seat. I saw nearly full in the court, so I just sit on the front middle part long chair before them. Afterwards the left side old lady staff called me to approach her and found out my Certificate of Naturalization. She asked me to check all my informations, if correct, then sign my name of it. Finished all, I went to the washroom and came in the court to have my seat again, but the left side old lady staff said I could not sit there, I have returned to my original seat. I was very confused that where I could sit, then she asked me waited at the left side where have last 30+ seats. There were 3 ladies waited behind me, but I found all nearly persons who only checked the informations of the letters, but haven't signed their names yet.
About 11Am, 50+ guests came in to attend the ceremony before the Judge led us to declare on Oath & Pledge Allegiance. I am missed that we haven't sang the National Anthem. After the Judge left the court at 11:30Am, the old lady asked our names to get back the certificate from the right side line by line . I was about the #80 to get the certificate because I was wrongly to have my seat at the front middle part, so I can left the court before 12N. I took many pictures happily with the certificate in front of the court and went back home by subway #2 to Atlantic Avenue & #B to Brooklyn.
2 days later, I applied my passport at Avenue U post office, $25 paid to acceptance facility by credit card, $75 paid to "US Department of State" by check, process time need 4-6 weeks.

N-400 sent to VSC: 12/15/2008
Priority date:12/18/2008
Fingerprint Done: 1/14/2009 @ Livingston Street, Brooklyn
Interview Date: 6/4/2009 @ Stewart Avenue, Garden City
Oath Letter Received: 6/4/2009
Oath Date: 6/17/2009 @ Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn
Passport applied:6/19/2009 @ Avenue U post office

I had my oath ceremony on June 22nd in Central Islip.

My appointment was for 8:30 am. Since I have no car, I left my apartment in Queens at 4:30 am (!) and took the subway to Jamaica LIRR station. The closest train got into Central Islip at 6:26 am. The courthouse opened at 7:30 am, so I walked the 2.7 miles from the station to the courthouse. The federal courthouse is the tall, white building (county courthouse is the low brown, brick building). They took away our cell phones at security.

They seated us in order of arrival in the court room. The oath letter was supposed to be signed at "Central Islip, NY", not the permanent address location -- lots of folks had to scratch out and re-sign. Immigration officers came in and started processing at about 8 am, going by rows in order of arrival. They checked that you signed the oath letter and confirmed no travel, no arrest in the time between interview and oath. They also made you check that the information on your naturalization certificate was correct and sign it. (Sat back down with oath letter, no certificate.) They processed until 10:30 am as folks continued to trickle in.

At 10:30 am the judge came in and administered the oath and the pledge of allegiance (to the flag). Judge called all the countries represented and had everyone stand when their former country was called. He then gave a 10 minute, prepared speech about what a great country the US is and paraphrased JFK (i.e., ask not what your country can do for you, but you can do for your (new) country). After he finished, the immigration officers called folks (again in order of arrival) to turn in the oath letter, get the naturalization certificate and shake hands with the judge. Because I got there a$$ early, I was second person called.

I think the take away/advice for others with oath ceremony in Central Islip at 8:30 am is to take the later train that gets in at 8:51 am and cab it. That's plenty of time since it takes so long to process everyone. Also, bring a book. You can't eat in the courtroom, but once your row is processed you can go to the cafeteria downstairs and eat.

tyanne: You can get the oath letter same day as your interview in Garden City. Central Islip is pretty far out on Long Island and a hassle to get to by public transportation. If you don't have a car and get assigned there, tell the folks in Garden City and get re-scheduled immediately. I found out the hard way that you can't go to Federal Plaza after the fact to re-schedule (only Garden City).

Thank You!

I got the yellow letter last week. They asked for original NYS ID, Original Tax Transcripts and Bills. I have no bills with my husband because we live with his mom and everything is on her name. I have credit cards, cell phone, bank statements and life insurance. All my bills has my name but my husband is the beneficiary of my life insurance.

*We have a 4 yr old together...the birth certificate should stand for something...right??

I live in Brooklyn, I will take the LIRR. Any advice there???

Hi people just wanna share my exprience with you:
Feb 2004 recieved my citizenship through my father before my 18th bday. US passport recieved, I voted, did my jury duty and even travel. I taught that was the end of it but boy was in for a shocker.
Nov 2007 applied for my N600 because my current job required it.
June 2008 went in for my N600 to my surprise I was denied my cert of citizenship. OMG couldnt believe it. Went to a lawyer to appeal the decision SOB messed everything up by filing the apeal late it was rejected.
Feb 2009 Went to another lawyer re filed the N600 went in for an interview on 5/14 I was told by the IO decision couldnt be made I will get decision in the mail 4 wks later I was denied. Well $6000 later between lawyer fees and immigration fees I put in for my
N400.

My current NYC timeline:

6/12/09 USPS to Lewisville lockbox
6/18/09 NOA recieved
6/15/09 PD
6/30/09 FPN
7/10/09 FP dated

Im sorry for the long post but just wanted to share my experience and let folks know to keep on fighting dont give up!!!!

Hi people just wanna share my exprience with you:
Feb 2004 recieved my citizenship through my father before my 18th bday. US passport recieved, I voted, did my jury duty and even travel. I taught that was the end of it but boy was in for a shocker.
Nov 2007 applied for my N600 because my current job required it.
June 2008 went in for my N600 to my surprise I was denied my cert of citizenship. OMG couldnt believe it. Went to a lawyer to appeal the decision SOB messed everything up by filing the apeal late it was rejected.
Feb 2009 Went to another lawyer re filed the N600 went in for an interview on 5/14 I was told by the IO decision couldnt be made I will get decision in the mail 4 wks later I was denied. Well $6000 later between lawyer fees and immigration fees I put in for my
N400.

My current NYC timeline:

6/12/09 USPS to Lewisville lockbox
6/18/09 NOA recieved
6/15/09 PD
6/30/09 FPN
7/10/09 FP dated

Im sorry for the long post but just wanted to share my experience and let folks know to keep on fighting dont give up!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what was the reason for the denial of your N-600? If you were living with your father when he received his citizenship, he had legal custody of you, and you were under 18 years of age, I don't understand why your N-600 was denied.

Also, a U.S. passport is most definitely valid proof of citizenship. I've heard of one other case where the applicant was requested by the employer to provide a certificate of naturalization, but the employer ended up accepting the passport. Do you mind providing a bit more information about your case?

The reason of denial is that under the law even though my father signed my birth certificate at birth I'm not considered a "legitmate child" of my father because a child born out of wedlock can only be legitmated through the marriage of the parents before the child turn 16. Well I turned 16 in march of 02 and my parents got married in august of 02 just my luck. I know its all a bunch of bullshit, because why did they issue me a passport but I need my citizenship to keep my job so I have to have to fix it. So to people out there whose have kids make sure that you cover all the bases before your child turn 18.

The reason of denial is that under the law even though my father signed my birth certificate at birth I'm not considered a "legitmate child" of my father because a child born out of wedlock can only be legitmated through the marriage of the parents before the child turn 16. Well I turned 16 in march of 02 and my parents got married in august of 02 just my luck. I know its all a bunch of bullshit, because why did they issue me a passport but I need my citizenship to keep my job so I have to have to fix it. So to people out there whose have kids make sure that you cover all the bases before your child turn 18.

I'm speechless. I'm not at all familiar with child citizenship laws, but it's absolutely preposterous (although not surprising) that there's such gross miscommunication between two agencies that deal with something as important as citizenship. I highly suggest retaining a reputable immigration lawyer to bring to review your case and accompany you to the interview. Since you have voted and represented yourself as a U.S. citizen (by obtaining a passport), USCIS may outright deny your application and issue a deportation order. Ridiculous? Absolutely. However, there's always that pesky little stipulation that ignorance of law is no excuse. The one thing that's definitely working in your favor is that the U.S. Department of State felt that you have legitimately obtained citizenship through your father and issued you a passport. However, USCIS works in very strange, inexplicable ways. GET A LAWYER - this is very serious!

I'm speechless. I'm not at all familiar with child citizenship laws, but it's absolutely preposterous (although not surprising) that there's such gross miscommunication between two agencies that deal with something as important as citizenship. I highly suggest retaining a reputable immigration lawyer to bring to review your case and accompany you to the interview. Since you have voted and represented yourself as a U.S. citizen (by obtaining a passport), USCIS may outright deny your application and issue a deportation order. Ridiculous? Absolutely. However, there's always that pesky little stipulation that ignorance of law is no excuse. The one thing that's definitely working in your favor is that the U.S. Department of State felt that you have legitimately obtained citizenship through your father and issued you a passport. However, USCIS works in very strange, inexplicable ways. GET A LAWYER - this is very serious!

Good suggestion...She could also visit the CUNY citizenship project offices in New York.

http://web.cuny.edu/about/citizenship.html

I had my citizenship interview today at Garden City, NY. The officer who interviewed me was professional and very pleasant. He shook my hand prior to the interview and at the end. From that point, I felt very comfortable and calm. The interview began when Mr. nice guy (I.O.) asked me to raise my right hand and promise to tell the truth. Then, he asked me to sit while he reviewed my file. While he reviewed my file, I brought to his attention that I came to the U.S. illegally as a minor and was detained at the port of entry. I told him I did not disclose that information in the application in part 10 sec D16. Mr. nice guy (I.O.) informed me that this wont affect my application since I was in a minor at the time. After reviewing my file for a good 5 minutes, he told me "everything seems ok" and proceeded with the test. Although I did not study I passed the test with flying colors. I guess the fact that I immigrated to the U.S. at a young age really helps. Then, Mr. nice guy informed me that the case is approved and told me to go downstairs to get my oath letter which is schedule for july 15, 2009 in Downtown Brooklyn, NY. Thank you to all the members who have help me through this long journey. I can't wait for July 15 when everything will be over.