New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Just curious: what is the timing these days between being placed in the interview queue and getting an interview letter? Last year around this time, it was slightly over 2 months for me. (You can find out interview queue date from the second level, immigration officers when you call the customer service number. I assume they can tell you at an Infopass appointment as well.) Thanks.

new york city - n-400 timeline

i took an infipass and went to the district office to inquire about my status. the io did nothing. all she did was to go into the uscis website to tell me what i already know. application received and pending.
after this stuff she then told me about this 120 days info and advised that i come back if i do not hear from them. she said i shouid not worry i will get my oath letter since evrything seems fine

N400 - NYC DO
N 400 SENT 08/23/08 VERMONT NEXT DAY MAIL
NOA: 08/27/08
PD : 08/25/08
FPAPP: 09/05/08
FP: 09/20/08
IL : 11/18/08
ID: 01/21/09 - FEDERAL PLAZA(passed & congrats. recom. for approval)
OD:###### 00/00/09

Last edited by a moderator:
Brief Interview Experience (my wife) Summary at Garden City, LI

My wife applied for N400 around May 15, 2008. Initial Fingerprint was July 2008 but the FP letter never arrived. Reschedule FP for August 2008. IL received on January 2009. The interview date was February 5, 2009 at 10:30am (Thursday).

The whole interview process from checking in to checking out took about 1.5 hours. First you submit the IL letter to counter #6 on the first floor. After 10-15 minutes, they call you to 2nd Floor. Once you get on the 2nd floor, you have to wait about 30-45 minutes.

First during the interview, they ask you raise your right hand and swear to tell the truth, then the civics and reading / writing section and finally going over the N400 application form. 10 civic questions and then 3 reading sentences and 3 writing sentences all dictated. During the interview, they ask for bank statements and tax transcripts. Luckily I bought all the documents. (I was kinda surprise they took the originals and place them with the files)

My wife received a letter (computer generated) stating you have passed the English and Civics test and a decision will be mailed out to you. (I saw another person with "congratulations, you have been recommended for approval" letter[hand written letter] and was thinking her oath letter will take at least 1-2 months.)

5 days later, she received the Oath Letter (N-445) for the oath ceremony at Brooklyn Federal Court (225 Cadman Plaza?) on February 24, 2009 (Tuesday)

Expedited Passport

I received my Oath letter. I had my interview on Jan 21st. The oath is on March 6th.

I need to travel internationally the week of March 9th. Do you guys have any insight on how I can get passport quickly. Currently, the expedited passport website in NY indicates 2 weeks turn around.

Anyone has received the passport within a week or less. If yes, can you let me know where I need to go to apply.

Thanks

PS: Funky brother, your and mine process is almost similar. You should be receiving the letter pretty soon.

I received my Oath letter. I had my interview on Jan 21st. The oath is on March 6th.

I need to travel internationally the week of March 9th. Do you guys have any insight on how I can get passport quickly. Currently, the expedited passport website in NY indicates 2 weeks turn around.

Anyone has received the passport within a week or less. If yes, can you let me know where I need to go to apply.

Thanks

PS: Funky brother, your and mine process is almost similar. You should be receiving the letter pretty soon.

My wife, who was already a USC changed her name after our marriage.
I got her a ticket under her new name and she went to the passport agency in NY with her ticket (it was an E-ticket so just a printout from the email). She got her new passport the day after.
It was in May 07 when EVERYBODY was applying for a passport due to new regulations. She had to wait in line outside for 5 hours. She hated me for that :)
I think now there's less people going to the passport agency anyways.

got my oath letter

Congratulations Chicago 1111. :)i am happy for you. my timeline is similar to yours. we had similar experiences. i hope to receive my letter too pretty soon like you said. where is your ceremony supposed to take place? and when did you get the letter?

keep us posted of any further developement. thanks. peace

Hi all!
I have my naturalization interview at Garden City tomorrow! (My green card is based on marriage.)
I'm reading all the past stories and getting anxious, especially since we don't have life insurance or health insurance right now... (I quit my job and he is starting a new one next week... oh well.) I had some "evidence" copied (up to 3 years) but after reading here, I'm thinking I need more!

Anyway, the letter does not say anything at all about bringing my husband. Should he even come?

Thank you!

Hi all!
I have my naturalization interview at Garden City tomorrow! (My green card is based on marriage.)
I'm reading all the past stories and getting anxious, especially since we don't have life insurance or health insurance right now... (I quit my job and he is starting a new one next week... oh well.) I had some "evidence" copied (up to 3 years) but after reading here, I'm thinking I need more!

Anyway, the letter does not say anything at all about bringing my husband. Should he even come?

Thank you!

My wife had the interview last week (Garden City, LI) and I went with her. The spouse can't go to the interview room. But if the IO ask where is your husband, at least you can say that he is waiting downstairs. That might win some brownie points with the IO. Anyways.. if he is free then he should go along just in case but if not.. there is no need for him to go.

Good Luck tomorrow!

Did you receive your IL, ID ?

Is there anyone who applied for naturalization on september 20th or after through VSC, New York City?

I had my fingerprints on 11/1/2008 and still waiting for the IL. Do i have to apply for the infopass?:confused::confused:

Please advice

Regards

JDHG

Is there anyone who applied for naturalization on september 20th or after through VSC, New York City?

I had my fingerprints on 11/1/2008 and still waiting for the IL. Do i have to apply for the infopass?:confused::confused:

Please advice

Regards

JDHG

Unfortunately, NY DO is one of the slowest around. An infopass is always a good idea.- :)

You can also call the customer service number and ask to be transferred to the next level. The immigration officers at the second level will have more information and will be able to tell you if you've been placed in the queue for interview or if your name check is still pending.

Infopass officers have the same info, but if an interview notice has been mailed to you (and you just haven't gotten it), they can print a copy out for you at the appointment. Good luck.

You can also call the customer service number and ask to be transferred to the next level. The immigration officers at the second level will have more information and will be able to tell you if you've been placed in the queue for interview or if your name check is still pending.

Infopass officers have the same info, but if an interview notice has been mailed to you (and you just haven't gotten it), they can print a copy out for you at the appointment. Good luck.

Thanks for your responses. Now I will call them tomorrow and try to learn the exact status of my case. Actually i called them 2 weeks ago and they jut got my ESC***** number and told me it is pending ( same notice on the web)

Do I have to dial different number or same number and tell them to be transferred to the next level for detailed information, is that enough to connect next level?

I will one more question for applying the US Passport.
I applied US Passport by Expedite Service
And I receive my Passport today.

But....where is my Naturalization Certificate?

Passport and NC will be sent back together or separately?

Back in 2004 I received a ticket, and was not arrested, from NYC MTA police for jumping a turnstile and not paying a fare. My question is under Good Moral Character. Should I say yes to Ques#15 which says "have you ever commited a crime or offense for which you were not arrested"
Or should I say yes to Ques#16 in regards to being arrested, cited by law enforcement officer. Or should I say yes to both?
I have proof from NYC transit that I paid the ticket.
By the way, in the proof of payment letter my social security number shows up...

Mta ticket

Back in 2004 I received a ticket, and was not arrested, from NYC MTA police for jumping a turnstile and not paying a fare. My question is under Good Moral Character. Should I say yes to Ques#15 which says "have you ever commited a crime or offense for which you were not arrested"
Or should I say yes to Ques#16 in regards to being arrested, cited by law enforcement officer. Or should I say yes to both?
I have proof from NYC transit that I paid the ticket.
By the way, in the proof of payment letter my social security number shows up...

HELLO SOUTHSIDE,

i am in the process of completing the N-400 for my spouse and i just remembered that my spouse also had a silimar problem. she was also arrested. i am eager to know what to do before i finished completing this task. please let mr know. anybody with a similar experience please help

Thanks for your responses. Now I will call them tomorrow and try to learn the exact status of my case. Actually i called them 2 weeks ago and they jut got my ESC***** number and told me it is pending ( same notice on the web)

Do I have to dial different number or same number and tell them to be transferred to the next level for detailed information, is that enough to connect next level?

Same number, ask to be transferred. Make something up if they push back.