New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

I am going to write to the DO Director NYC tomorrow. Does anyone know his/her name? Or should I just address it as Mr./Ms. Director :)

Why is it so quiet in NY district office? Why people are put on hold for so long after their interview in the name of 'supervisory approval/review" and then again too long wait for oath letter and then for the oath date? Why don't people write to District Director about this mess when it's happening too often and too long waiting especially in Garden City office? This mess should be stopped as it's bs.

I will be preparing pre-formatted letters for everyone on this forum to download, sign and send to the following people:

1. Honorable Barack Obama, President of the United States of America
2. Chief Performance Officer Nancy Killefer, Office of the President, The White House.
3. Honorable John Roberts, Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the United States of America
4. Chairman, Senate Commitee on the Judiciary
5. Chairman, House Commiteee on the Judiciary
6. Chairman, Senate Subcommitee on Immigration, Refuges & Border Security
7. Chairman, House Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law
8. Your local senator and/or congress man/woman
9. The New York Times
10. The Los Angeles Times
11. The Washington Post
12. Lou Dobbs, Cable News Network (CNN)

Let me know if we can make this a sticky thread so that everybody can see it, download it, sign it and send it. If every member of this forum and this forum has 192,000 members sends 10 letters and spends 42 cents or $4.20 cents, I think we can make our voices heard because many at USCIS don't seem to care or want to better things for applicants.

There is a rumor on President Obama's team that they want to privatize the USCIS along with some of its components. We will see !!! :D

Yes, the format of that letter along with receipients' address would be nice and easier for others to just print, sign and send it. Also, it should be USCIS headquater in Washington DC (to Secy. of Homeland Secy.) and District Director (to local office, i.e. NYC District Director).

Also, the names and addresses of all receipients should be indicated in the end of that letter as CC so that everyone could pay a great attention to it and do something about the problem, otherwise they will just throw it in the garbage. Letter should also mention about this happening too often and with most of the applicants. There is nothing wrong for supervisory review/approval but when files sit somewhere for so long without an action then it shows incompetence and bureacracy. Delaying the process or taking that long for supervisory review and then arranging for oath is totally unacceptable no matter how many applicants are there whose file will need to be reviewed by supervisors especially when there is no only one supervisor rather many. Supervisory review shouldn't take more than a week at most. Letter should be very compelling. This effort will help current and future applicants. If people don't raise their voice, bureacracy will keep continue to be prevailed.

I will be preparing pre-formatted letters for everyone on this forum to download, sign and send to the following people:

1. Honorable Barack Obama, President of the United States of America
2. Chief Performance Officer Nancy Killefer, Office of the President, The White House.
3. Honorable John Roberts, Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the United States of America
4. Chairman, Senate Commitee on the Judiciary
5. Chairman, House Commiteee on the Judiciary
6. Chairman, Senate Subcommitee on Immigration, Refuges & Border Security
7. Chairman, House Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law
8. Your local senator and/or congress man/woman
9. The New York Times
10. The Los Angeles Times
11. The Washington Post
12. Lou Dobbs, Cable News Network (CNN)

Let me know if we can make this a sticky thread so that everybody can see it, download it, sign it and send it. If every member of this forum and this forum has 192,000 members sends 10 letters and spends 42 cents or $4.20 cents, I think we can make our voices heard because many at USCIS don't seem to care or want to better things for applicants.

There is a rumor on President Obama's team that they want to privatize the USCIS along with some of its components. We will see !!! :D

Great idea!! Please include also the 'Chicago Tribune' in your list.

You probably wouldn't have to go through this if you read my and other experience with 3 year marriage based cases.
I actually have to come back tomorrow to bring the documents specified in the N-14 form.
In my case, it was checked for 3 items (bank statements, canceled check, credit card statements) but i will bring other additional documents as well (con edision, cable bill). I have collected and ordered from these providers statements for every month of the last 3 years so i have a stack full of document.

My appointment is 9am tomorrow so hopefully i will get it done by noon and get a letter for oath ceremony in hand.
I had my interview yesterday, Jan 7, 2009. I reached the federal plaza about 30 mins before the interview, went through the security and by about 9AM I was in the waiting room. My interview time was 9:10AM and I got called around 9:35AM.

The officer, along with all other personnel, were extremely professional and courteous throughout my time there. Anyhow, the interview began with a lot of silence in the room. The IO started looking at the documents on file which took about 5 mins. He then asked me questions from the citizenship test. I answered the first 6 correctly, so he didn't ask any more. He then went through my whole application and line by line he verified whether all information was correct. That took about 15 mins. The only document, out of the ones mentioned in the interview letter, that the IO asked for, was the original marriage certificate.

At the end, he said, since you are applying based off of marriage to a citizen, there is some additional documents you will need to submit, and that if you don't have them right now, then you will have to come back. At that time, I was a little shocked as I thought everything went smoothly. He gave me a printout of a document called N-14. On that document, he manually check marked the following items:

- bank statements showing joint bank account
- cancelled checks showing joint bank account
- credit card statements
- utility bills
- insurance policy indicating spouse as beneficiary
- health insurance policy showing coverage of spouse
- lease agreement, mortage, or deed showing joint ownership

The N-14 document also had instructions saying I need to bring documents for THREE (3) categories above. Additionally, the document also says that if all documents are not in both you and your spouse' name bring some in yours and some in your spouse name.

The IO then wrote on the document that I needed to bring these documents for the past 3 years (2006, 2007 and 2008). He also indicated that I bring 2 documents for each year for each category that I pick.

I told the IO that if these documents were indicated in the interview letter I would have brought them today, to which he replied "we keep asking them to update the letter, but they keep sending the generic one"

Anyhow, the IO gave me an interview date after 30 days and the interview was over.

I then checked on the forums and found out that IOs are now requiring this kind of proof also for marriage based applications. I only wish I had read this in the forum before going to the interview.

So, just for those who are in the same boat as I am, it is better to take as much documentation proving that you are living a happily married life. I even plan to take my wife and kids with me on my next interview.

Hope this helps for others who have upcoming interviews.

You probably wouldn't have to go through this if you read my and other experience with 3 year marriage based cases.
I actually have to come back tomorrow to bring the documents specified in the N-14 form.
In my case, it was checked for 3 items (bank statements, canceled check, credit card statements) but i will bring other additional documents as well (con edision, cable bill). I have collected and ordered from these providers statements for every month of the last 3 years so i have a stack full of document.

My appointment is 9am tomorrow so hopefully i will get it done by noon and get a letter for oath ceremony in hand.
Got to room 700 and dropped the appointment letter at 9AM. I got called by the same officer at 9:30AM to one of the windows and he asked me to give him the documents.
I handed him one by one. I probably should have give him 3 statements for each year but instead I gave him the folder full.
Credit card statements
Letter from bank showing we have joint account with them since xx/xxxx
bank statements for the past 3 years
copies of canceled checks for the past 3 years.

I asked him if we want cable, utility bills for the past 3 years and he said he don't need it. At the end, he said that I brought everything he ask and he will make a decision and mail the letter to me.
I was hoping to sit down in his office and have the decision done today but i guess he is junior and can't make decision.

There are lots of people coming back and bringing the additional documents. They all go to the windows and give the documents without going inside.

I talked to a guy who was after me to talk to the same officer. He was told the same thing that they will mail the letter.

So, it's the end of my interview journey. Now all i can do is to wait for the decision and oath letter.

Good luck to all.

Congratulations, N400JustStarted.

Can you elaborate on the interview? When you say it was employment based, what do you mean? Employment with the US Govt ??? Because otherwise it would not matter who you work for, when it relates to N-400 applications since only for the Green Card, the interview might bring about questions about employment ??? I have never heard a company sponsoring for N - 400 naturalization cases unless it is the US Govt???

And also, this is the first case this year where New York Federal Plaza DO gives an interview in a half an hour, and later an oath with a span of 15 days. We have been watching all the applicants from Manhattan and you are a very lucky fellow to come out with an Oath Letter from that place.

And what about your test and questions on your application? It must have been a very senior officer to get it done in 20 minutes ?

We appreciate your responses. :cool::cool::cool:

Hi, sorry for a late reply.
Answering to your questions- my green card was an employment based.
As for the questions- the officer who interviewed me went thru some of Yes / No questions on N-400, nothing tricky.

Test was easy as well- he asked six questions which I answered correctly. He wrote each answer on a piece of papaer and have me to sign it. I've chosen to take a new version of the test.

I don't get it! what do they mean by canceled checks?? copies of Checks that we wrote in past 3 yesrs on our Joint account??

To JohnnyCash

Dear JohnnyCash,

I've been avid reader of your more articulate and precise input in these forums. How do I contact you as I have situation pertaining to my N400 Application? Hope you can answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it! what do they mean by canceled checks?? copies of Checks that we wrote in past 3 yesrs on our Joint account??
In my case, i use e-statements so they have scanned copies of the checks we wrote. I just order them up.
You can just get a bank letter stating you have joint account. Then you don't need to submit canceled checks.

I have a friend who got approved at the interview in San Diego DO in mid December.
He didn't get the oath letter right away and they were moving back to NYC the first week of January.
They have been told to move, file for AR-11 and then wait for the oath in NYC.
Guess what? The oath came and it's in San Diego at the end of January. He's flying back, taking the oath and getting done with the whole thing. I think he made the right choice, even if it will cost a plane ticket.

I have a friend who got approved at the interview in San Diego DO in mid December.
He didn't get the oath letter right away and they were moving back to NYC the first week of January.
They have been told to move, file for AR-11 and then wait for the oath in NYC.
Guess what? The oath came and it's in San Diego at the end of January. He's flying back, taking the oath and getting done with the whole thing. I think he made the right choice, even if it will cost a plane ticket.

Otherwise, he'll probably become OLD waiting for the Oath Letter in NYC.- :eek:

Jimgreener was correct; my wife received her interview letter (after her case disappeared online) and it was dated January 8, 2009. I read something interesting in the accompanying letter, which said:

NOTE: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another person occurred, you DO NOT need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license.

That struck me because just this past Monday she received a fine ($120) for a traffic violation and the following day (yesterday) her mom wrote-off my car, although no one was injured and the only car severely damaged was mine. I mentioned the latter because the car was insured in both of our names and immigration laws can be vague and arbitrarily applied, so my question is this: Does she have to report any of the incidents?

Thanks.

Her naturalization is not based on marriage and her timeline is:

PD: July 25, 2008
FP: August 19, 2008
IL: January 8, 2009
ID: March 2, 2009

Jimgreener was correct; my wife received her interview letter (after her case disappeared online) and it was dated January 8, 2009. I read something interesting in the accompanying letter, which said:

NOTE: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another person occurred, you DO NOT need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license.

That struck me because just this past Monday she received a fine ($120) for a traffic violation and the following day (yesterday) her mom wrote-off my car, although no one was injured and the only car severely damaged was mine. I mentioned the latter because the car was insured in both of our names and immigration laws can be vague and arbitrarily applied, so my question is this: Does she have to report any of the incidents?

Thanks.

Her naturalization is not based on marriage and her timeline is:

PD: July 25, 2008
FP: August 19, 2008
IL: January 8, 2009
ID: March 2, 2009

You don't have to report the accident. Traffic tickets, on the other hand, are subject to endless debate on this forum. Some members will tell you to report all traffic tickets, others will tell you to only report traffic tickets over $500 or those that involved an arrest and/or were issued for a DWI/DUI. I had a few minor traffic tickets and didn't disclose them. At my interview, the IO asked me if I've ever been arrested (not have I ever been cited), so I answered "NO". At my oath ceremony, the IO in charge specifically instructed everyone not to disclose traffic tickets on the back of the oath letter. Basically, it's up to you to decide whether or not to disclose it. My opinion: don't bother.

You don't have to report the accident. Traffic tickets, on the other hand, are subject to endless debate on this forum. Some members will tell you to report all traffic tickets, others will tell you to only report traffic tickets over $500 or those that involved an arrest and/or were issued for a DWI/DUI. I had a few minor traffic tickets and didn't disclose them. At my interview, the IO asked me if I've ever been arrested (not have I ever been cited), so I answered "NO". At my oath ceremony, the IO in charge specifically instructed everyone not to disclose traffic tickets on the back of the oath letter. Basically, it's up to you to decide whether or not to disclose it. My opinion: don't bother.

Hey brother. Happy new year. Have you had any news about delays on Oath dates? There seems to be a matrix nationwide of delays for Oaths, except LA which started coming in last week. Any comments ?

Hey brother. Happy new year. Have you had any news about delays on Oath dates? There seems to be a matrix nationwide of delays for Oaths, except LA which started coming in last week. Any comments ?

Hey bro, happy new year to you too! I've noticed that you still haven't received your OL. I really hope you get it before the 120 days are up. I've been keeping an eye on the NYC thread and it definitely seems that there are supervisor approval/oath scheduling delays. Looks like the NYC DO is up to its old tricks again.

Hey bro, happy new year to you too! I've noticed that you still haven't received your OL. I really hope you get it before the 120 days are up. I've been keeping an eye on the NYC thread and it definitely seems that there are supervisor approval/oath scheduling delays. Looks like the NYC DO is up to its old tricks again.

Chicago, NYC (Manhattan), Philadelphia, Newark, Cleveland, Raleigh, it is like a disease spreading its wings all across. Since this guy Jonathan Scharfen left 2 months ago, looks like, nobody's home at USCIS. :eek:

Chicago, NYC (Manhattan), Philadelphia, Newark, Cleveland, Raleigh, it is like a disease spreading its wings all across. Since this guy Jonathan Scharfen left 2 months ago, looks like, nobody's home at USCIS. :eek:

I think that this has more to do with the fact that the elections are over. There is no more political pressure on the USCIS, so they reverted back to their old selves.

I think that this has more to do with the fact that the elections are over. There is no more political pressure on the USCIS, so they reverted back to their old selves.

Yes, I am afraid you are totally correct. They are going back to getting their lawsuits in order to get their BBA's moving. :D

BBA Definition: Big Bad A_ _ _ _ .

Last edited by a moderator: