New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

My Interview Experience - 5/14/2007, Garden City, NY

Submit my N400 on Jan 23, 2007.
FP: 03/17,2007
Interview: 5/14/2007

Documents brought with me: green card, passport, the letter, birth certificate (for i had a name change when i was five).

After 30 minutes meeting with the io, I passed the interview. And got oath letter the same day.

Oath Ceremony: 5/24/2007 at Brooklyn, NY

Since I have been working with the same sponser company for 9 years, the IO didn't ask me for my tax return. However, I talked to a few ppl there while waiting for my interview, and it is still suggested to bring the tax return for the past five years just in case. They DO ask for it sometimes (some ppl came out and told us!).

No mentioning of traffic tickets or anything things like that. It was easy and simple.

Good luck to everyone who is still in the process!

cell phones at Federal Plaza for Mike

They will let you in with cell phone after doing the standard metal detector scanning, but when you are waiting for interview, they make you turn off the phone/beeper and ask that you do NOT use cell phone or PDA. They have signs all over the place and an officer that goes up and down the aisles asking people not to use devices.

This may be due to the fact that they need silence to hear the names being called for interview.

Do yourself a favor and for the hour or so you wait, turn off your phone and concentrate on re-reading all your answers to n-400 form and glance at the 100 questions test prep sheet.

This is your time to get your USC, so while your service as a public officer is important, please get yourself together for the big show!

P.S. Good luck and Bring Your Tax Transcripts, they asked me for tax proof.

Teddy

An update...

Interviewed at Federal Plaza today, updated timeline below. Here's my interview experience:

Arrived 08.10 for an 08.40 appointment. Through door security no problem - one of the security guys spotted my fire dept. polo shirt, asked for ID, and basically waved me through. Up to the 7th floor, a guy with a slight attitude doing the cellphone check at the door - overheard him briefing another employee "and if you hear one ring, you throw them out of the building" - again, what is their f**king problem? If it's set to silent then getting text messages causes nobody any problem... yet they prohibit any wireless devices. (yes I have a bit of a problem with red tape...)

Anyway, hand in my appointment letter, told to wait. Names are called. Mine was called around 09.10, only 30 minutes after my scheduled appointment time... not bad at all. Back to his office, put on oath, standard run through of N400 questions... addresses, dates, all that stuff, review of trips outside the USA, all the usual questions re. arrests, illicit activities etc. Slightly probing but a very straightforward case so nothing awkward - guy was polite, friendly, professional. Civics questions, read & write English, job done... you can wait for an oath letter.... almost.

One tiny wrinkle; my photos were 3/4 profile, not face-on - they were taken to the 'old' standard by mistake. So he gave me an appointment letter to use to get back into the building, I hopped across the street, passport photos taken, problem solved in 20 minutes flat. Back in, photos dropped off, waited and waited for oath letter, finally showed up 12.10 - 2hrs 40mins after end of interview. So up with the judge at White Plains on 8th August! :D

During the wait for oath letter I had the most unbelievable rule thrown at me. No cellphones, no wireless devices, no laptops, no photography... ok ok ok... no running around (the Nasty Guy who was strict about the cellphone check was equally strict that all children, even 2-3 year olds, must remain seated at all times... guess HE hasn't got kids)... and... wait for it... No Looking Out Of The Window. Yes. True. A very sweet security lady came along an explained almost apologetically that it was against the rules to look out of the windows. Goddess preserve us. I swear to you it's true, she wasn't joking.

(There's an old joke in Scotland: It's a rule in government offices that workers are forbidden to look out of the windows before lunch. This is so that they will have something to do in the afternoon... :rolleyes: )

2/08/07 Application sent
2/09/07 Receipt date / Priority Date
2/20/07 Got I-797C with the above info.
2/21/07 Got I-797C with fingerprint date
3/07/07 Fingerprinted at New Rochelle
6/06/07 Got I-797C with Interview notice
7/23/07 Interview, Federal Plaza
8/08/07 Oath

That's exactly six months from beginning to end. Still don't get how some people go through the system so much faster... still some are slower; can't complain too much.

oath ceremony update

My oath ceremony was held on last Friday, August 3rd 9am at 500 Pearl Street. I was lost for 10 min so ppl, print out a yahoo map if you can. The South entrance had a long line for security check, and the guards suggested we use the North entrance, most ppl stayed in the queue but I went, the north entrance had absolutely nobody lining up. Super fast. The guard kept my phone as nobody could take pictures in the assembly room.

Went into the room at 9am sharp, people are stuck in security so everybody waited for them. Door closed around 9:30, two US court marshals explained that the ceremony will be over around 11:30, meanwhile we could go to cafeteria for coffee, breakfast, get a newspaper to read or go to hallway to stretch. I went up to the cafeteria on 8 fl, very nice and pleasant place, recommend to go! I stayed there for 20 mins and went back to the room, got back to my seat and then waited for another 30 mins for my turn. Only till then I realized that we were lining up to get our Naturalization Certificate signed. It took a long time as there were 350 of us doing that. It was actually backed up for a while, and finally, around 11:45 everybody got their certs signed.

Something interesting is that if you go to this same location for ceremony you might find one court marshal performing stand up comedy. He played the clown while the other one gave straight face to everybody. He did a good job on entertaining us who sat there doing nothing for 2.5 hours. Really appreciate his effort. We waited for another 20 mins for the judge to come in for the REAL oath ceremony. We took the oath and the pledge, but did not play the national anthem on video or whatever. Then we got our names called to obtain the certs, and the judge shook our hands. I was called about the end of the first 1/3 batch of people, when I got out around 12:30, there were probably around 200 people sitting and waiting.

My other friend went to the oath ceremony took place in federal plaza, it lasted for an hour only, while mine was 3.5 hours. That might give you a rough idea of how different the lenght of the oath ceremonies can be at different locations.

Went to the postal office on Church and Canal street to get my Expedite passport application sent for overnight bothways. It's lunch time but no line for passport at all. Recommend that location. The agent was friendly, he took time in looking through the application and made sure everything was accurate. It took a while but I am happy to see no careless mistake was done to my application so far.

My application (Expedite) was received on Saturday (paid $190), hopefully I'll update the last section of my timeline very soon!

my dates (D/O: NYC)
submit N400 - 8/31/06
receipt date - 9/5/06
priority date - 9/5/06
checks cashed - 9/7/06
notice date - 9/12/06
received receipt notice - 9/18/06
fp notice date - 9/14/06
received fp notice - 9/20/06
fp appointment - 9/25/06
#1 infopass - 12/5/07
IL sent - 4/30/07
IL received - 5/4/07
interview- 6/12/07 (passed but not approved)
oath letter postmarked - 7/17/07
oath date - 8/3/07
passport application submit - 8/3/07
passport receive - ??

My Interview experience in NY

I had my interview yesterday at Federal Plaza. I am almost 8 months pregnant, so the 2 hour wait was not much fun, but I kept hoping that as long as interview goes well, it is okay. I got a lady IO and she was a bit strict. She went through my application one by one and when she got to "trips outside US", she got stuck.

I have made many trips outside the US as I love traveling, but most have been 2-3 weeks long. The issue is that I did a 1-year study program in Europe in 2004. I took a leave of absence from my employer and kept returning to the US every 2-3 months. My longest time outside US is 111 days.

The IO kept grilling me about this. I had all my tax transcripts and the letter from employer verifying leave of absence. I explained to her that my trips were for a 'temporary' purpose with the intent of residing in US, which is what I did immediately after my studies concluded. I also reiterated that I did not break continuous residence and have met my physical presence requirement.

Then she asked my the civics questions and english questions, which were really simple 10 questions. I signed my photos. She then gave me the N-652 with 2 boxes checked:
- you have passed the civics exam
- you will be mailed a decision

I asked why I was not approved and she said she needs to show it to a supervisor, but that I should not worry. She then made some small talk about my due date, whether I was having a boy or girl, etc. I tried to be polite, but I am really frustrated!!! If there is a problem, they should just tell you, so that you have a chance of explaining further and providing more documentation. If there isn't a problem, then why does it have to go to a supervisor?

I am so stressed. It is the worst thing not knowing especially when I am supposed to be calm and happy as my due date approaches, but it is easier said than done!!!!! Any advise or similar experiences?

My dates:
N-400 mailed Apr 12, 2007
N-400 Notice priority date Apr 20, 2007
N-400 Notice date Apr 30, 2007
FP Notice date May 4, 2007
FP Date May 18, 2007
Interview Notice date June 8, 2007
Interview Date Aug 7, 2007
Interview Results Letter: ???????

n400 timeline NYC & Interview details

Hi there,

Applied as a 5yr PR.

* Apr 20, 07 n400 received date
* Apr 30, 07 Notice date

First FP notice was for a weekday; mailed the letter back stating that we need a Sat. appnt. Dont remember the date scheduled though.

* May 22, 07 - Rescheduled FP notice date

* Jun 9, 07 - FP done; within an hour at New Rochelle location - we lived in Westchester, NY. Cell phones not allowed inside location.

I do not have photocopies of Interview dates, hence cannot provide you with notice date etc.

Also, we moved from Westchester to Long Island, after receiving the interview letter.

As PRs we were supposed to fill out a form called AR 11 for address change within 10 days of the move. We did that. Printed out copies of the form and also of the confirmation that comes up on the web. The web also pointed out that we should update any pending applications. Tried to enter our EAC number, but it could not pull up any pending application based upon our application number.

Called the 800 number on the form and the person at the other end said that we probably did not see anything as our files might have been sent to the local office, i.e., NYC. He said that he had to go into another system and update our address there - which he did. However, for my wife, the person who answered the phone transferred the call to someone else who updated the address.

* Aug 20, 07 - Interview date at 26 Federal Plaza, 9:10am for myself and 9:30am for my wife.

Drove from Long Island, tagged along our kids too. Van Wyck to GCP to BQE to Manhattan bridge to Bowrey St to Worth St was the intended plan. However, took Willamsburg bridge by mistake and ended up driving around for a while before finding Worth Street. There was a parking lot right in front of the entrance on Worth, the parking stub said that it was 9:11am when we pulled in. Not bad timing since we left our house around 7:45am. Very minimal traffic issues on Van Wyck (near Jamaica hospital), GCP (near LGA airport) and on BQE (near LIE and Kosciuszko bridge).

There was no line - the board said that it was the entrance for citizenship and other services with prior appointment.

We were directed to 7th floor (the letter did state that) by taking the C bank of elevators. Room 700 I believe. Once inside the security guard asked us to turn off our cell phones and go to window 52.

The lady behind window 52 took my interview letter and I also handed over my wife's interview letter. "So, you both have an interview today, uh? I will put it together. Wait and we will call you." Asked her how long it will take. She mentioned about half an hour to an hour.

At around 9.45am, my name was called to appear before door 2. Went to the door 2 and asked the lady who greeted me about my wife. Told her that I have all the originals and if they do call her, what to do. She replied that no one will call her. I guess she ment that she has her file too.

As soon as we entered her "room", she aksed to Swear that I would only tell the truth. Which I did. Asked me to sit down and asked for my drivers license, passport and greencard. Verified everything.

She then proceeded to verify the info. on N400. She did ask me if I still lived at our old address in Westchester. Replied negative and told her that we moved within the last couple of weeks, filled out AR11 on the web and gave her the new address. She wrote it down and checked something on her PC. The address on my passport and drivers liscense was my old one. However, we had already called the NYS Dept. of Motor Vehicles regd. new address.

Next she went thru everything on N400, just asked questions on what I had typed in.

My GC file was about half a feet thick compared to my wife's which was about an inch or so.

She constantly looked back and forth from my GC file and N400. I was pleasantly surprised when she asked me if I had ever worked for a xyz company. I said that I never did work for them, however, they did apply for my GC and their I140 got denied. Ironically, Mr. Khanna handled that particular case. She made sure that I repeated the answer and that I did not work for them or get paid by them. I did have a lot of issues with my GC at a time when there were no 1 yr extentions after 6 yr period and my second employer went bankrupt (subprime lender - gee its de ja vu again). That explains my GC file being half-a-feet thick!

Anyway, on N400, there is a spot where you list all the orgs./associations that you are a member of. I did list a cultural org. that I had become a member of. She asked me when did I become a member of that org. I said it was sometime in 1998 and she did ask me as to why I did NOT put it down on my GC application. I did not say anything. She asked me what kind of org. was it - and I explained that it was a cultural org. and they meet once a year with dances and cultural stuff from back home. She seemed not to care.

I was asked about my employment - stated that I am a stay at home dad for now. She then wanted to know who supported me, I said my wife. Later on I found out that my wife was asked the same question and she responded that for the past 3 years she has been working and before that I supported her and the family.

She asked me if I ever went before a judge. I said Yes to get a parking ticket resolved (prior to sending in my N400, had checked my driving record on NYS website for $10/- it came clean). She then asked me if I owe any money to anyone, I said NO, all parking tks were taken care of. She wanted to know when, I told her that it might be sometime during winter 2004.

She then went thru the questions on N400, regarding upholding the US law and affiliation with other parties etc.

She asked me to sign my two photos (which she was a little bit concerned about being in the right format and told me that they might object to it, but did let it go) and the n400 app. She wanted to make sure that the entire name was spelled out - including initials on all 3 of them.

She then printed a set of papers which had 10 questions, asked me 5 (presidents name, how many states, who becomes president when both pres and vice pres is gone, who wrote constitution and who is MLK) - for the other 5 she just crossed off and said pass. She asked me to write "I drink too much coffee" which I did and sign the paper.

She gave me a letter stating that I had passed the interview and that I did very well. She congratulated me.

I asked her about the oath, and the wait time for that. She said that there is no oath anymore in NYC and that I should be getting a letter within the next 20 days with details on oath ceremony including location etc. I read somewhere on this fourm that if your interview is on a Friday, your oath will be on that day itself or that there will be no interviews on Friday and the same hall will be used for oath ceremony.

When I walked out, it was 10:15 and she did ask me to send in my wife. My best guess is that I was there for about 20 to 25 minutes.

My wife came out around 10.35 or so. She told me that the lady asked her the very same questions regd. cultural org. membership, financial support before she started working, court appearances (again she did say for parking tkts), any dues owed to any state/fed agency, same 5 US history questions and every question on N400 regarding moral character (such as being arrested etc.) and loyal to US (about being able to serve when called, etc.).

One more thing, for my wife, on her birth certificate, they only mentioned her first (given) name. It then goes to list the mother and father. Hence, the officer typed up a letter stating that full name and got it signed by my wife.

We were not asked to show SScard, Tax returns, marriage certificate or any other documents other than the 3 mentioned above (GC, Passport, drivers liscense).

One more thing, I understand that whatever I type here might be available for eternity. I believe that we would have been out of that place much soon if we could understand properly what the lady officer was asking. She had a heavy Russian (I believe) accent. Just to be sure, and not to make any mistake on my part, I had to ask her to repeat the questions slowly and clearly. I mean, I literally had to ask her a couple of times as to what she was saying. I really did not understand her when she asked me to write " I drink too much coffee". I had to ask her to repeat the last word. Finally after 3 tries, she signaled a mug and made drinking action and also said the word TEA. I am not saying anything against her, but it would have been better if we could have understood her, everytime, first time itself.

Note, it is important to answer all the questions truthfully and honestly. Hence, I had to confirm what she was asking and make sure that I understood her before I answered them. It is especially true when you answer questions like affiliation with communist party or whether or not you would support US... you get the picture.

Anyway, we trotted down... kids claimed they were hungry, took them to dunkin donuts for bagle and ice cream. I did pull out my car before 11:05am. So, I would say the we were there for less than 2 hrs - for 2 interviews. Parking was about $30.00.

Since we were out there, went to see Statue of Liberty, around noon, parked in a garage a couple of blocks away. Could not go inside the statue as all the tkts were sold out. Took the ferry to the island, $27.50, ate something at the cafe there, kids had ice cream - again. Came back to parking lot, it was about 4pm and cost $24.00.

Drove back to Long Island and was home by 5.30pm. Traffic was decent,

I have tried to include any and all the details - this way, it would help others. I have always referred to this fourm. Good luck with everyone. Will update after our oath ceremony.

;)

I had my interview yesterday at Federal Plaza. I am almost 8 months pregnant, so the 2 hour wait was not much fun, but I kept hoping that as long as interview goes well, it is okay. I got a lady IO and she was a bit strict. She went through my application one by one and when she got to "trips outside US", she got stuck.

I have made many trips outside the US as I love traveling, but most have been 2-3 weeks long. The issue is that I did a 1-year study program in Europe in 2004. I took a leave of absence from my employer and kept returning to the US every 2-3 months. My longest time outside US is 111 days.

The IO kept grilling me about this. I had all my tax transcripts and the letter from employer verifying leave of absence. I explained to her that my trips were for a 'temporary' purpose with the intent of residing in US, which is what I did immediately after my studies concluded. I also reiterated that I did not break continuous residence and have met my physical presence requirement.

Then she asked my the civics questions and english questions, which were really simple 10 questions. I signed my photos. She then gave me the N-652 with 2 boxes checked:
- you have passed the civics exam
- you will be mailed a decision

I asked why I was not approved and she said she needs to show it to a supervisor, but that I should not worry. She then made some small talk about my due date, whether I was having a boy or girl, etc. I tried to be polite, but I am really frustrated!!! If there is a problem, they should just tell you, so that you have a chance of explaining further and providing more documentation. If there isn't a problem, then why does it have to go to a supervisor?

I am so stressed. It is the worst thing not knowing especially when I am supposed to be calm and happy as my due date approaches, but it is easier said than done!!!!! Any advise or similar experiences?

My dates:
FP Date May 18, 2007
Interview Results Letter: ???????
Hi everyone,
I finally got my oath letter! I will reiterate again for those with driving violations and questions on continuous residence:
1) Be completely truthful to the IO- do not try to withhold any info you think will work against you. There are no tricks, the IO had a huge file on for my entire 17 years in this country (F1, H1, Greencard).
2) It is okay to admit that you did not understand the questions on "good moral character" regarding arrests, convictions, etc. In my interview, I clarified and the IO changed my answers (with my consent). I asked the questions first and gave the facts first, so even if my application answers were not correct, it was not used against me.
3) I spent 1 year doing my MBA in Europe. I took a leave of absence from my NY employer and returned to my job after my MBA. I made frequent trips during my studies, maintained professional and personal ties in the US, and did not pursue emplyment in Europe. This was the sticky point in my application- whether I had broken the continuous residence rule or not.
The IO told me she had to discuss this with her supervisor. I provided tax transcripts for 5 years (incl the year in question, I still filed taxes as US resident), bank statements, insurance policy, letter from employer confirming leave of absence.
Lesson here is that simply making frequent trips so as to not break the 180-day rule is not enough. You have to be able to prove that your trip was "temporary" in nature- studies are generally viewed as temporary compared to foreign work assignments.

Thanks to everyone for their advise and support!

My dates:
FP Date May 18, 2007
Interview Results/Oath Letter: Sept 11, 2007
Oath Date: Oct 5, 2007

Hi everyone,
I went to the oath ceremony at Federal Plaza yesterday. I have not seen anyone posting their experience at Fed Plaza, so thought I would post it. I have read that it takes 3-4 hours for the oath ceremony in NY, but at Fed Plaza, the entire thing took 75 mins. I have to say I was very impressed at how organized everything was.

My oath letter said to appear at 9am, so I got there at 8:40am. There was a line, but it was moving fairly quickly. I was seated by 9am. I don't think there is any advantage in arriving too early. The ceremony is on the 7th floor and as soon as you enter, an officer collects your green card. I felt strange parting with it after 5 years!!! Then you are seated in the order you arrived and the officers now collect your oath letter.

The ceremony started promptly at 9:30am after everyone was seated. Some short speeches congratulating everyone on the long journey, lots of clapping, etc. Then everyone repeats the oath, the pledge of allegiance, and watch 2 min video of Bush welcoming us as US citizens. Most people there were Dominicans and I thought it would be Chinese and Indians! Also, most people take it very seriously- alot were dressed in suits, brought their families, and took lots of pictures.

At the end of the ceremony, officers ask everyone to stand up and form a line row by row. They hand out the naturalization certificates, which are already in order based on where you sat. The whole process is very smooth and evryone gets the right cert (no errors!). Then we all have to get in line again to wait for elevators. But again, I was in and out in 75 mins.

Good luck to everyone!

You can ONLY change your name by applying for a name change in the N400 initially. There is no other way as far as citizenship.

The other method is to acquire citizenship and THEN do a legal name change through your local district court...about $400 dollar and takes about 5 weeks because your new name must be published.

Exactly. The civil court fee for a name change in New York State is $65. There are, however, other fees involved, such as the cost of the public service ad announcing the name change. For more info, follow this link: http://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/civil/namechanges.shtml

Thanks Vorpal!!!

There was an exception note in my NOA - I had mentioned that I had a traffic ticket in my application. The note said that , there are evIdences missing in my application and a seperate NOA will be issued to produce the required evidence at the time of interview. I have the traffic ticket and the court disposition ( the fine paid 75$ and that no further action is neededetc) with me. The ticket was for failing to stop at a stop sign (2002). Now I feel that I should not have mentioned it in my application.:(

Please do comment.

The number of days for processing the application 540 days.

Regards
N

Don't worry about the traffic ticket, you did the right thing by mentioning it. Just bring the court disposition to the interview, and you'll be fine. Everyone gets traffic tickets, so don't sweat it. The "evidence missing" statement is a standard computer-generated reply that's automatically included on the NOA if you check "YES" to the "Have you ever been cited...?" question.

Had my Oath Today!
Super Long Wait! Arrived @ 8:00am;Finish Everything @ 1:00pm.
No Cellphone&Camera allowed. Need to turn in if you have them.
Rcvd name change paper as well.
Also I heard someone travel internationally btwn interview and oath, and all they asked for was passport stamps.
Didnt seem like a major problem.

Basically, there were 4 things: Turn in Green Card; Sign Natz Cert; Take Oath; Rcv Natz Cert. Except oath were took together in front of a judge, all others required each one take turns. I'm not sure why they wont let each one of us turn in GC and sign Natz Cert @ same time, but all activities happened separately.

Congratulations. Wow, you were there for a long time.

I had my oath today at the USCIS office in Manhattan. Was in at 8 am, out at 9:45. Ceremony actually started at 9:10 am.

Everybody lines up then talk to the officer in the booth. She took my greencard, asked me how long I was out of the country since my interview, since I answered yes to that question on the back of the oath appointment (5 days). Paper is given to the guy seating you, so that they put the certificates in order ahead of time and give them to you as you file out. As we were leaving, they were getting ready for the next 260 new Citizens coming in at 10:30.

Thanks everybody. Good luck!

Brian

Had my Oath Today!
Super Long Wait! Arrived @ 8:00am;Finish Everything @ 1:00pm.
No Cellphone&Camera allowed. Need to turn in if you have them.
Rcvd name change paper as well.
Also I heard someone travel internationally btwn interview and oath, and all they asked for was passport stamps.
Didnt seem like a major problem.

Basically, there were 4 things: Turn in Green Card; Sign Natz Cert; Take Oath; Rcv Natz Cert. Except oath were took together in front of a judge, all others required each one take turns. I'm not sure why they wont let each one of us turn in GC and sign Natz Cert @ same time, but all activities happened separately.

Hello guys, I am new to the forum, I will post my dates

VSC ST ALBANS (NEW YORK CITY)
N-400 Mailed - 02/13/2008
N-400 at VSC - 02/15/2008
FP NOTICE - 02/28/2008
FP DATE - 03/06/2008 DONE!!
CASE Appears Online the next day after FP DONE!
Interview Notice - Waiting.......
Interview Date - Waiting....
Oath Notice - Waiting...
Oath Date - Waiting....

Hopefully I can be the lucky one :p cuz I know ppl that got their interview in 4 months. THey applied in OCT/NOV.

BTW can anyone help me with some questions here that I have some serious concerns.

1. Whats the deal with the traffic tickets? I had 3 of them like 3-4 years ago minor ones, paid them all. I didn't put them on the N-400.

2. I forgot to mention that my drivers license was suspended for not having insurance, I dont know if that is going to be a big deal. My record is clear.

3. Should I report any changes to my N-400 after I filed it? I got this Ticket for Discon ( Disorderly Conduct) trying to avoid a traffic jam, cuz I was runnin out of gas, and I made a stupid decision to follow others taking the "exit-ramp" wrong way.

Vorpal need some help in here..:)

one last thing when do you think I might get the Interview Notice?

Thnx Mario

Hello guys, I am new to the forum, I will post my dates

VSC ST ALBANS (NEW YORK CITY)
N-400 Mailed - 02/13/2008
N-400 at VSC - 02/15/2008
FP NOTICE - 02/28/2008
FP DATE - 03/06/2008 DONE!!
CASE Appears Online the next day after FP DONE!
Interview Notice - Waiting.......
Interview Date - Waiting....
Oath Notice - Waiting...
Oath Date - Waiting....

Hopefully I can be the lucky one :p cuz I know ppl that got their interview in 4 months. THey applied in OCT/NOV.

BTW can anyone help me with some questions here that I have some serious concerns.

1. Whats the deal with the traffic tickets? I had 3 of them like 3-4 years ago minor ones, paid them all. I didn't put them on the N-400.

2. I forgot to mention that my drivers license was suspended for not having insurance, I dont know if that is going to be a big deal. My record is clear.

3. Should I report any changes to my N-400 after I filed it? I got this Ticket for Discon ( Disorderly Conduct) trying to avoid a traffic jam, cuz I was runnin out of gas, and I made a stupid decision to follow others taking the "exit-ramp" wrong way.

Vorpal need some help in here..:)

one last thing when do you think I might get the Interview Notice?

Thnx Mario

I'm assuming that the Oct/Nov applicants you're referring to are from NYC? If yes, something is definitely wrong with the NYC DO. There are some NYC users who applied in July, have cleared all background checks, and are still waiting for interviews.

Anyway, let's get to your questions. As far as the traffic tickets go, try to get records for as many of them as you can. At the interview, when the IO begins going over your N-400 and gets to the "Have you ever been cited..." section, ask if traffic tickets should be listed. If the IO says yes, then disclose the traffic tickets and show the IO proof of payment. There are numerous debates regarding traffic tickets on this forum. Some people don't disclose them at all, others do. I'd disclose them just to CYA.

As far as the driver license suspension goes, have you received a ticket for it? If not, then you don't have to disclose it.

Ticket for discon...it was a pink desk appearance ticket, right? Truthfully, it depends on how long ago you got the ticket and what the outcome of it was. I believe that a discon is a violation, but don't quote me on it. NYPD usually issues DATs for violations and certain low class misdemeanors, where an arrest is not necessary. I would consult an immigration attorney on this one, as this is a touchy issue.

Hi everyone! I just came back from my interview. I am pleased to say that I passed!
My appointment was for 10.20 am and I was out of the building an hour later. The interview itself probably took 20-25 minutes or so. I was seen by the officer around 10.55am. He went over my travel dates (i have many) and tried to check the dates against the stamps on my passport. He asked 6 questions from the civic test, dictated a sentence, and had me read another out loud. I am leaving on a business trip later this evening for about 3 weeks and inquired about the possibility of scheduling the oath date after my return on 4/12. He seemed to think it was a bit of a problem--he said he would note my request in my file but that there was no guarantee. He said that the oath had to take place within 45 days of the interview. Anyway he decided to send me home and have the oath letter sent rather than have me wait to receive it today (after the interview). If I miss the oath while I am away, I would automatically be assigned another date. Apparently you get 2 chances to make the oath date. I am not sure if it is because I am requesting a name change (and therefore have to attend teh oath ceremony at the courthouse instead of 26 federal Plaza) but apparently, oath ceremonies are scheduled on Fridays.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience. I'm just going to have my fingers crossed re. oath date..Ok, I am off to italy now.

Report Suspected Criminal Violations by USCIS Employees

If you have knowledge of suspected criminal violations, misconduct, wasteful activities, and allegations of civil rights or civil liberties abuse, you may report them to the DHS Office of Inspector General. Calls can be made anonymously and confidentially.

To make a report, call 1-800-323-8603 or email DHSOIGHOTLINE@DHS.GOV.

For more information, see the Office of Inspector General web page, in the Related Links section of this page (www.uscis.gov )

Last updated: 03/27/2008

Fingerprinting appointment

I went in for my fingerprinting appointment today (second set after my old ones expired according to the fingerprint notice). I think there were folks who wanted detailed descriptions....

Anyway, my appointment was for 9 am at 201 Varick Street, Suite 1023 (Manhattan). The closest subway stop is Houston Street on the 1 line. The entrance is actually not on Varick but around the corner on Houston, second door from Varick. I got there at 8:30 am, walked around the building looking for the right entrance. Line to go through the security wasn't long (bag check, walk through scanner and guy with a handheld wand). Took the elevator to the 10th floor, turn right to go to room 1023. The guy at reception just inside the room gives you a one page sheet to fill in (general info: name, birthdate, address, etc. -- only odd thing was parents' first names). I gave the sheet back to him. He sends me to the guy checking identification (you're supposed to bring your original fingerprint notice and your greencard). He checked them and gave me a number. Once my number was called a woman took me to one of the computer terminals, typed in my information and took my fingerprints electronically. That was it. I was done in under 20 minutes and barely said ten words to anyone.

One thing to note, the appointment time listed on your notice really isn't. They'll take people in the order you arrive. I think the appointment times are given so people's arrivals are somewhat staggered. I was out by 8:50 am and my appointment was for 9 am. (Of course, they might get annoyed if you get there at 8 am for a 3 pm "appointment".)

Also, I've been calling customer service about once every 2 weeks, just to make sure nothing got f**ked in the interim. I think the last customer service person I got was a bit more reluctant than previous ones to transfer me to an IO, but did eventually do so (my receipt number doesn't appear online). Anyway, I'm still on the interview scheduling list and no scheduling attempt has been made yet.