New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Interview yesterday and theory...

My wife and I filed together with the receipt notice date of 10/2/06. (NYC, VSC) We had our fingerprints taken together on 10/21/06. She got her interview letter about 3 weeks later and her case 'disappeared' form the USCIS website.
She had her interview yesterday. Over two hours waiting, 10 minutes interview. She says it was really quick, confirmed address, phone number, etc. Asked for tax returns (!) that she had, not official copy, just our own copy from the accountant. Went through all the yes/no questions. Had to read afew sentences and answer 10 questions from the list. Got the form with 'passed' checked, but neither A nor B was checked. She was told to expect a letter in less than two weeks. She thought they were ok, almost friendly. She thought she should've take a book with her to read for the two hours, though...

I did not get an interview notice yet. I know many people get husband/wife inteviews together, but many get to do it separately. Based on some of the timelines I read here I have a theory:
Is it possible that in cases where one spouse got the green card thorugh I-140, etc, and the other got it as a family memebr they need the whole file for the interview? Is it possible that they schedule one first, wait until that person is done with the oath, etc, the file goes back to the VSC and they then schedule the interview for the other spouse? This way they have less of a chance of losing a file that is supposed to be at two interviews at the same time. They can process one case with all the related info at hand, complete it and then start the other case without having to worry about providing access to two officers to the same file.
Is this crazy?

My wife and I had our interview last week at Garden City. All went smoothly and we reeceived our oath appointment letter the same day!! On arrival, you go through security, take your appointment letter to a clerk, then are told to wait in a waiting area for your name to be called (you place your appointment letter in a tray in the waiting area) - if you need to use the bathroom while you are waiting you are asked to sign a log out sheet - everything is clearly signposted so don't worry about these detaiils. We had to wait about an hour before our names were called (first me and then, when I was done, my wife was heard by the same immigration officer). The officer asked only for our green card and passport, no other documents. Still, I brought all the documents with me listed on Jonny Cash's sticky and I would recommend others to do the same just in case. I had travelled out of the U.S. once since my application, so when he asked if all the details on my application were still accurate, I told him about the additional trip and gave him a sheet with the details on - length of trip, country visited, dates. He wrote those details down in pen on the form. He asked ten of the civics questions. At the end of the interview, he stamped the application "approved" (yes!!!!!) and the officer asked if I wanted to go downstairs to wait for my oath letter or get it by mail. Of course I opted to get it there and then (why take the risk of it getting lost in the mail or stuck in some outbox in USCIS and having to worry about it?) So, after the officer gave us our notices which said we had been approved, we went to another waiting area to wait for our names to be called and handed oath notice letters - they tell you that it takes about 2 hours after the time your interview is completed, which was the case. All in all, the process took a little over 3 hours from the time that our interview was scheduled for. We also arrived about a half hour early (which I would recommend) so you're looking at a 4 hour visit. FYI, our status on the online system hasn't changed - it's still listed as pending. Oath ceremony is at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn next week - if anybody has some tips about that experience to share, it would be appreciated. Good luck to all!!!

Citizenship Timeline
D/O : NYC
10/11/06 :N400 FedEx'd overnight to VSC
10/12/06 :N400 VSC Received Date
10/12/06 :N400 VSC Priority Date
10/17/06 :Check Cashed
10/17/06 :N400 VSC I-797C Notice of Action Date
10/21/06 :N400 VSC I-797C Notice of Action Received
10/18/06 :N400 FP Notification Notice Date
10/23/06 :N400 FP Notification Received
11/07/06 :FP Appointment
12/12/06:Naturalization Interview Notice Date
12/16/06:Naturalization Interview Notice Received
02/01/07:Interview Date (Garden City)
02/07/07:Oath Date (Cadman Plaza)

Could someone enlighten me regarding where your Oath ceremony takes place if you pass the interview?

If your interview location is Federal Plaza in NYC, do you get assigned to an oath ceremony at Federal Plaza? Do you have to wait more than 2 weeks?

Or is it by your home address, like if you interview Federal Plaza, but you are living in Brooklyn or Queens, you have Oath ceremony in Brooklyn?

Or do you get assigned where there is room, like the people sent to Staten Island to take the oath?

I have read the experiences of people who take the oath on a Friday after the interview, does that depend on if they let you wait to get the oath letter on interview day?

sorry for all the questions, I am studying the 96 questions and getting a little nervous about it. Thanks to all for the help.

teddybear

If you live near white plains (westchester county), oath takes place at the court in white plains. I think the oath location is determined by your home address and not by space availability -- several members of my family who lived in this area have gone through this process and all of them had their interview at federal plaza and went to the white plains court house for oath.

Just delurking and adding my experience...

In Lower Westchester...

2/08/07 Application sent
2/09/07 Receipt date / Priority Date
2/20/07 Got I-797C with the above info.
2/21/07 Got I-797C with fingerprint date
3/07/07 Fingerprinted at New Rochelle
?/??/07 Interview...

Note on fingerprint experience: Appointment was for 10AM. Arrived 09.50. Counted 24 'no cellphone' and/or 'no electronic devices' signs around the room; people arriving were being told to return to their cars and leave cellphones there - why on earth are they so paranoid?

5 min wait to see security guy to get form to fill in. After form filling, 30 min wait to see receptionist to start waiting to be printed. 90 min wait for fingerprinting; fingerprints actually taken 2 hours after scheduled appointment time. Fingerprinting process took around 6 mins and was friendly and professional. By the time I was seen, it seemed the fingerprint wait was slightly shorter, but the wait to see the receptionist somewhat longer, so still probably 2 hours overall.

Interested in comments on the current timing of the interview process at Fed. Plaza; is that another 2 hour wait? Also my initial I-797C referred to 'missing evidence' that I would have to provide at the interview - anyone got a clue what that might be? I used an old 'guide to naturalisation' and sent 3/4 profile photos instead of face-on - could that be it?

Mike

Interview Experience at Federal Plaza

My citizenship interview was at Federal Plaza yesterday. I was nervous.:confused: I made sure to wear a nice suit and polish my shoes;)
It took 10 minutes to get past security, look around the giant marble lobby for the elevator to the legendary 7th floor. The guard waved me towards a window where an IO collects your letter. I arrived exactly as the directions requested, a bit more than half hour ahead of schedule. It was morning, and the IO's were behind. 75-100 people in the big room, most with a relative...couple of well behaved toddlers and babies, not too much crying.

I couldn't read the book I brought as I had to listen really hard to hear half the announced names over the loudspeaker. Sometimes an IO would softly whisper a long name and everyone is straining to hear "boutros boutros svengali, door 1":(

The room seems the size of a football field. I enjoyed watching a young couple who were there for a marriage based citizenship exam. It was a bit like a music video, they were so tender and you wanted to clap after they came out with big grins.

Half an hour goes by, one hour goes by, almost two hours bye-bye...I start thinking "oh no they must have descheduled me and I did not get the letter"...plus the guards are patrolling the aisles, busting people for playing with cell phones...and families start talking near you...making it hard to hear,
"mary hartman, mary hartman, door 2":confused:

I watched through the plexiglass and saw IO's getting the letters and matching the files with them. Then hearing the microphone clicking and My Name!

The IO greets you at the door and leads you to his office. Mine had an office, I saw others at cubicles. I was impressed by the IO. He was very polite and professional. :eek: It felt like when I played sports, the anxiety before the match, and then it flows and the game is played. We took our positions and I raised my right hand and was put under oath.

He shows you to a chair across from you and pulls out your file and asks for green card, driver's license, passport. Then it was like a lightning round of Jeopardy.
I am glad that JohnnyCash recommended studying the way you filled out the N-400 and to memorize where you have lived and worked for 5 past years!

It was important to concentrate exactly on IO's questions as there was a "yes" question in the middle of the "nos". And the tax transcripts were asked for and taken. I brought photocopies of other docs and those were taken too. After going over the N400 question by question, I signed and printed my name in the places indicated. Then I signed my photos. Made sure to ask exactly how each signature should be.

Then onto the test, IO read the questions and I answered all 6 right, so that was done. I think once the IO checks how proficient you are in English, the interview picks up light speed. But he made time for small talk about my family, how they are all citizens too (he asked questions about family). He was very courteous. My mindset was, don't say anything unless IO brings it up!:eek:

Next was checking that the info for the Naturalization Certificate would be exactly correct! :p

And then he handed over the sheet with the Congratulations messages on it!
And it said Wait for Letter at the bottom!:)

I went to the cafeteria to wait as I knew it would take a while and watched the parade of humankind take a break to eat before standing on lines all over the building. I walked by an empty room that said "Stateless Orphans".

Went back to the big room, but to the left side, where the letters were given out. Hour and change after interview, I had my letter, which says I have an appointment in early April to be naturalized!:D

Thank you to all of the board for helping me as I got a replacement GC and finally decided to go for my citizenship.

I got very lucky to have such a nice guy IO. He commented that now is the time to apply for citizenship in nyc as the processing time is excellent and before the fee goes up.

Best of luck to everyone!:rolleyes:

Garden City Interview

I had my interview at Garden City today and the officer asked me for my tax returns, copies of which I had. He also asked me about my recent trips abroad. He asked me 10 civic questions and I answered all of them correctly and he said good. He made me write 3 sentences in english.

Initially, he said that I might have come here again for the interview since their systems were down and he needed to verify certain things on the computer. Then he went away from his seat and came back and said that I do not have to come back again and that I passed the interview and the letter will be mailed out to me.

When I asked him how long it might take to get the oath letter, he said it could take up to 3 weeks.

He ticked the sections on N-652 which said

- You passed the tests of English and U.S History and government.
- Congratulations ! Your application has been recommended for approval.
- Do not wait for the letter. You will be notified by mail.

Hopefully the oath letter comes soon. :(

We heard an announcement on the speaker that the computer systems were down when I was waiting in the room for my interview. I spoke to a family (after my interview) who were waiting down stairs for the oath letter. They had their interview almost 1 hour 30 minutes before me, but they were asked to stay to receive the oath letter. I guess their system was up at that time.

Thanks a ton TeddyBear for being there for me through the highs and lows of this process. I was surprised too to see the letter as early as on Saturday. I live like 3 miles from the Garden city office and that helped too I guess from the mail man point.The IO who interviewed me seemed like a man who does his job meticulously and thoroughly. I left the interview with the feeling that it may not be too long before I get the oath letter even though he told me it might take up to 3 weeks. I think they always give you the maximum time limit just to be on the safe side.

I am so glad that it is over for you too. Congrats ! I am also thankful to this forum and the valuable contributors to this forum who strive to help others on a continous basis. Following in their foot steps, I will surely try and help other people in this forum as much as possible even though I am almost done.

As far as the passport application goes, I am thinking I will not do it at the ceremony and do it expedited outside of it. Just one baby step at a time ;) :D

Thanks,
Islander

One more thing,a piece of advice:

At the interview my wife was asked for tax return documentations. She had our tax returns as prepared by our accountant, no official transcript. We did not have the one from 2005 due to technical problems (computer) only the W-2 forms. The officer was happy with these documents, but aksed her if she had more recent ones, she said no tax return only the W-2 forms. Obviously it was enough.
So I recommend to bring tax return documentations - I will bring the one from 2006 as well - even if it is not listed as something you must have.

my Oath experience in Cadman Plaza

I had my oath ceremony at Cadman Plaza on April 5th, 2007. Reached there around 7:45 AM when they had already begun seating people inside the court room. Once they seated everyone, they had people come in and sign their Naturalization certificate and verify their information (date of birth) and sign their full name. People were seated and also called in the order in which they had arrived. First come - First serve basis.

There was an Old Japanese couple who had actualy signed their names in Japanese and the IO made it loud and clear to everyone that people need to sign their full names on the certificate in English and not in any other language. ;)

Once the signing was over (which took more than a couple of hours), the Judge arrived to lead us in to oath. We were asked to stand up when the judge arrived and also stand again when the Judge left. The Judge made a short, but nice speech about how his grand father came to this country as an immigrant from Russia 100 years ago. He also mentioned the fact that everyone here must have their own story of how they made it till this point. After reading the oath of allegiance, we were asked to come in the same order to pick our Naturalization certificates up. The IO congratulated each person when handing out the Naturalization certificates, which I thought was a nice gesture. :cool:

Once I had my Certificate with me, I drove to the post office, filled up the orange form to get my passport. I made it expedited and paid the amount as a postal money order (Thanks to Teddy Bear for his experience). I read his post before going to the Post Office. Hopefully the passport gets home soon. :rolleyes: :)

Good Luck to everyone on this board and thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences here.

Teddy Bear, Congratulations on becoming a Citizen !! Enjoy your new status. Hope you get your passport soon. :)

Islander79

N-400 timeline
DO : New York City
12/06/2006 : Mailed to VSC
12/11/2006 : Priority Date (receipt date) ...Day 1
12/13/2006 : Check cashed by USCIS ...Day 3
12/11/2006 : NOA Receipt Date ESC*
12/22/2006 : Received NOA Receipt in Mail ...Day 11
12/26/2006 : Received FP notice in the mail ... Day 15
01/09/2007 : FP appointment ... Day 29
01/31/2007 : Case status disappeared ...Day 51
01/29/2007 : Interview letter notice date ...Day 49
02/02/2007 : Interview letter received date ...Day 53
03/22/2007 : Interview date ... Day 102
03/24/2007 : Oath letter received ...Day 104
04/05/2007 : Oath done...Day 116
04/05/2007 : Applied for US passport (expedited)

Jackchen,

Just try to relax, study your civics questions, review your N-400 application, memorize where you lived and worked and what you put down in the application.

Remember to breathe deeply and clear your mind as you wait for your name to be called. Get there early so do not have to be "rushing".

Who knows how long it will take, my interview was in the morning at Fed plaza and they were running late. I was not called until over an hour and something after my interview official time.

Other folks I know were called in 20 minutes before their appointment time.

I did not show W-2, just tax transcripts. Make sure you eat breakfast, waiting can make you hungry! Plus you want your brain to work. Bring a small bottle of water as there is no water cooler and the air is dry.

Don't forget your GC and drivers lic. and whatever documents pertain to YOUR situation.

If you are not confident about your english, please make sure you Listen to Every Question and think about it a second before you answer.

Good luck to you.

Teddy

I had my interview today in garden city,long island. waited one hour to see the officer, less than ten mins finished the interview and got the approval form, no more documents asked and no more question asked except the question from form n400, than told me to get the oath letter at downstair, and waited one hour to get the oath letter.

1/5/2007 NT
2/3/2007 fingerprint
4/10/2007 interview
4/20/2007 oath in brooklyn

Interview today

I had a very good experience, everything went veru well and it was very professional. I arrived for my 8AM appointment around 7:45. They called me around 8:10 and I was out of the door by 8:40.

The officer was a pleasent young guy. The discussion was very straightforward, went through the data, looked at my file. I had a name change before (by US court) and I changed my green card but he couldn't find copy of the court order - guess what, I had it with me, so he made a copy!

I listed two traffic tickets (speeding way under $500). He said he just got one yesterday.

HE DID ASK FOR DOCUMENTATION OF PAYMENT!!!!!

Of course I had the original court dispositions, credit card receipt for one and credit card statement for the other. He took the originals, gave me copies to keep. He went to ask his supervisor who said it was ok.

He asked I think 6 questions, dictated a sentence and made me read a paragraph.

Did not ask for tax papers.

At the end he told me that he had not had time to review my entire file before but it looked ok and I should expect an interview letter in 2 weeks.

It came up that my wife had an interview 3 monhts ago, although we applied together - he had no idea why it happened, he said they usually try to keep families together.

That's all folks!

I had my interview today at Federal plaza. I was called on time.
My husband told me that most people were getting out in 15-30 min but mine was over 1 hour.
I thought being 9 months pregnant will get me quick interview but officer was very detailed would not miss anything. Overall he was very nice, he asked me all 10 civics questions and I even had math trivia question. None of the other papers/originals were requested.
The only concern was that when he got to the part where I listed my travels outside of us, he said that I got big big problem.
Most of my trips were 2-3 weeks so in total over 5 years I have been out of USA 265 days.
I had one trip in 2003 to Austira for 3 month language course ( I have provided him the completion certificate),then I have visited few other countries and went to see my parents. I had surgery over there (notorized medical record provided) with complications so I had to pospone my return ticket.
I have overstayed only 9 days so I did not think it will be a big deal.
He said that he will need to show it to his supervisor for the final approval (made all copies of certificate, passport stamps and medical record ) but at the same time he had placed a big stamp APPROVED over my application.
I have also got a paper N-652 , marked as Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval.
So I am not 100% sure if I still might have problems with my 9 days overstay .
I have asked him about oath letter and he said I will get it in the mail (no
specific timeline)
I will keep you posted if/or when I get the oath letter

PD Date 01/11/07
Check cashed 01/17/07
I-797C Notice Date 01/19/07
I-797C Received Date 01/25/07
Fingerprints Appointment (New Rochelle, NY) 02/06/07
Interview 04/12/07 at Federal Plaza, NY
Oath letter ???

Traffic ticket question and birth Certificate

I had a speeding ticket from 2001 and another from 2006.

I Did recd my interview letter today, interview scheduled for May 21st. The IL has an attachment of what to bring. I have to ask you guys couple of things.

1. Regarding traffic ticket, the attachment says "Note that unless a traffic violation was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve in actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points onyour driver's license."
Now I did not mentioned the tickets as I called 800 # before filing and the agent told me that you don't need to mention it if above criteion fits..less than 500 and points...
I am surprised that so many people get asked about the court disposition or is it that they get asked only when they mention it on N-400.
If the officer asks that question again, should I say yes I have tickets? Although I have requested desposition letter from courts...don't know at this point what to do.

2. I have lost my original birth certificate(Issued from India) and also my original marriage certificate. I basically have a file missing after I moved house. I am not applying on the basis of marriage. So as per this letter I don't need it. What should I do ? I do have photocopy of both certificates from my employers record for green card processing though.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx
MFBHH

I Did recd my interview letter today, interview scheduled for May 21st. The IL has an attachment of what to bring. I have to ask you guys couple of things.

1. Regarding traffic ticket, the attachment says "Note that unless a traffic violation was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve in actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points onyour driver's license."
Now I did not mentioned the tickets as I called 800 # before filing and the agent told me that you don't need to mention it if above criteion fits..less than 500 and points...
I am surprised that so many people get asked about the court disposition or is it that they get asked only when they mention it on N-400.
If the officer asks that question again, should I say yes I have tickets? Although I have requested desposition letter from courts...don't know at this point what to do.

2. I have lost my original birth certificate(Issued from India) and also my original marriage certificate. I basically have a file missing after I moved house. I am not applying on the basis of marriage. So as per this letter I don't need it. What should I do ? I do have photocopy of both certificates from my employers record for green card processing though.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx
MFBHH

My opinion is based on my personal experience alone. I think if you did not list the tickets, you won't have an issue. They have no info about this. They also won't ask you if you had a traffic ticket. They will only ask the questions on the N-400 form (have you commited a crime, etc.) If you feel more comfortable bringing up the tickets when you get to that part of the interview, be prepared to show documents.

I don't see why you should have you birth certificate.

interview experiences in federal plaza

I had my interview this past week in federal plaza. I waited 2 hours for interview and 1 hour for oath letter. I arrived 7:10 for an 7:25 appointment, but I did not get called until little passed 9:30. Some of the people arrived after me went into the interview first. Even though people here said that they got called on time, but do expect long waits sometimes. Please go to bathroom before going into the waiting room because the wait can be 3 hours or so. Also, the officer is going to call your name few times, and he would not wait long. You do not want the interview to wait to give any negative impression even before the interview starts. This is especially true if you have a borderline case.

The officer asked me civil questions first, then went through my file. He seems to be a very friendly person, so, did not give me hard time. But, that really depends from officer to officer. Please bring employment letter because sometimes they ask for it. I know some people who did not bring employment letter and received N-14 (request for more documents). That will unnecessary delay your application. My interview only lasted for 15-20 minutes or so. Once the interview officer approves your application, the application will then get reviewed by someone else for the second time before they issue oath letter. I waited about 1 hour for the oath letter.

My timeline is approximately as follows:

mid jan: priority date
late jan: received finger print notice
02/06/07: finger print in federal plaza
02/27/07: received interview notice
04/10/07: interview

The whole process (from submitting the application to the interview) took just under 3 months. But, that really varies from case to case. But, it seems that NYC federal plaza is faster than garden city. My friend submitted her application in late jan, and had finger print in mid feb, but she is still only to receive her interview notice letter. (she lives in long island, so I believe that her case is being handled by garden city office).

I believe that some of the people on this board spent lots of days outside the US, it is very important to bring as much documents as possible to avoid the unnecessary delays from N-14.

This board has helped me so much in the past 10 years. It took me about 4 years to get my employment sponsored greencard, and another 5 years to get this citizenship.

Good luck to everyone!

huttp6,
We are in the same boat and our times are close to one another. Can you give me the FBI number you called? Also, keep posting any progress on your case. Thanks

the number to call and check if your prints were accepted is

1304-625-2000
1304-625-2406
1304-625-5590

call any one of those numbers you will get an answer they will ask for your A#
take care
thankz

Hello all,
I just came back from my immigration interview at Garden City. It went pretty well :) I reached there 1/2 hour before my interview. Once you go through the scanners, you will be expected to get your interview letter stamped (that will happen on the ground floor). After that they ask you go to upstairs. You will pur your interview letter in a box and then take a seat and just WAIT !
I waited more than 2 hrs before I was called in for a 15 minute interview. It seems like the earlier you get there - the earlier you will get out! My IO was really nice - first she went over the whole n400 form and made sure that there have been no changes since I applied. Then she asked me the 10 interview questions and asked me to write 3 sentences and read a paragraph. After that she gave me a letter that said Congratulations and to wait downstairs for the oath letter! And then i waited another 2 hours before the guy at the window called out names for all the people waiting for their oath letter.
Besides the long wait - it went pretty smooth!
Hope all the best for all of you guys !

NYC passport

I received naturalization certificate last week. Made appointment early last week with NY passport agent for expedited passport. Had appointment 8am. Arrived in passport agen 7:45, 20+ people on line. Took about 1/2 hour to get to the information to get a waiting number. Went up to 10th floor to wait to be called to submit the application. Only waited 10 minutes on second floor. Submitted 2 photos, passport application form, naturalization certificate, airline itenery, and my NY license. Left the building at 8:45 (just in time for work). Then, I went back to the office in my lunch time to collect my passport. That is the most efficient and safe way to get the passport.

interview was at garden city, all the usuall. wait about 1:30 hrs. only thing is I bring all original document, when the officer ask me for a copy I didn't have, so he got little mad, futunely he copied it for me, so make sure when you go there bring original ducument and copies.

And todays oath was simply and easy. start 8:30am when i got to my company was about 1pm.

Citizenship
D/O:NYC
11/1/06: N400 mailed to VSC ( Day1)
11/6/06:N400 VSC Received Date (6)
11/6/06:N400 VSC Priority Date ( 6)
11/8/06:Check Cashed (8)
11/17/06:N400 FP Notification Notice Date (17)
11/20/06:FP Appointment (Day20)
03/20/07 :Naturalization Interview Notice Date (around that time)
05/01/07 :Interview Date
05/09/07:Oath Date