New Residents & Taxes

If you qualify for 1040EZ, you have the option to file the more complex 1040 if you prefer.

But I've never heard of that site before, so I don't know if they're legitimate, or if they're just a scam designed to collect your personal information for shady purposes. I hope you investigated them first.

Oh my GOD :eek:

of course I haven't investigated them becuase I got the link on the IRS.gov website :eek:

I though that all these sites for e-filing available on irs.gov are safe ... do I now need to be worry about ID theft? :(

My 1040 filled with ZEROS

Let me show you actual UPDATE from the IRS (through the free1040taxreturn.com)

I had to wait about 40 hours before I got this message on my e-file from IRS:

Your current FEDERAL return status is: REJECTED by the IRS

Reasons given for rejection of your e-filed FEDERAL return:

You submitted a return that showed no income wages or payments. If a return shows no income wages or payments it will be rejected by IRS. Please review to make sure you have entered your W-2 forms and other items of income and resubmit your return.

So in that case I have 3 questions:

1) Now, does the IRS have any record, that I submitted (or at least tryied) tax return?

2) I may still send it in paper form, but I guess that it will rejected as well, right?

3) If not sending the 1040EZ again are there any legal consequences for me?

1) I don't know

2) You can try sending the paper return and see what happens. Maybe they will also reject it, as they don't want to waste their time on zero-value returns.

3) No, if you are not required to file, there is no penalty for not filing. It just means that you can't use this to help show residential ties to the US.

Hi Experts,

Need one urgent guidance. Pls advice

I am New to USA on H1B - Getting Paid from January 20 2010 and will be here probably for a year.

Do I need to -

1. Register with IRS like we have to obtain SSN etc
2. File IT return in USA for year 15 April 2010

Pls guide. I am very scared and confused. Pls explain.

Regards
Sunando

Hi there !

I entered to US from March 13, 2010 on DV1 (DV Lottery) visa & i am LPR now.
during these 3 weeks i have NO any job, income, wage.... but i have living expenses (food, public transportation, ...)

i want to know should i fill out 1040? (I'm single)

Because of this year is first time; Could you give me link(s) for instruction of filling 1040?

I entered to US from March 13, 2010 on DV1 (DV Lottery) visa & i am LPR now. during these 3 weeks i have NO any job, income, wage.... but i have living expenses (food, public transportation, ...) i want to know should i fill out 1040? (I'm single)

Filing a 1040 now is for 2009 taxes, not 2010. Wait until next year.