New Processing Times

A couple of members of this forum (dnyc and nyker) both sent in their N-400s on 12/27/07, and have already received their ILs. Myself, Vik Pal, thrix, and a couple of other members have applied at around the same time and had our name checks cleared. We're still waiting for ILs.

Just when we think we have finally figured out how the USCIS works, something like this happens and blows a big hole in our theory. Technically, if your background check is done, you should be given an interview, even if there are people with earlier PDs, but still have their background check pending. Apparently, that's not always the case.

When I went to InfoPass, the IO explicitly stated that my background check has been cleared and I've been placed in queue for interview. What I think your IO meant to say is that you've been placed in queue, and it will take up to 90 days for your interview to scheduled. It's a fact that service centers schedule the interviews, not the DOs. The service center has a list of available interview dates and times for all DOs in their jurisdiction, and schedules the interviews on the basis of that list. Once the interview has been scheduled, your case is then transferred to the DO.

Thanks Bud, you are AWWWWWWWWWWESOME!!! Sucks that I have to go and check my PO BOX even on Saturdays...

Thanks Bud, you are AWWWWWWWWWWESOME!!! Sucks that I have to go and check my PO BOX even on Saturdays...

Hey Nimche -

Relax my friend. Take a few days to just tune all this USCIS and immigration stuff out of your life. I know it is hard to do at times, especially since you really want this for family reunification. However, think of it this way ... don't check the PO Box on Saturdays - you know why? The mail will be there on Monday when you do go. It isn't going any where!

I hope you get your IL soon.

Regards.

Vorpal,

did you find out the date when your name check cleared?
I wonder if your 1 - 2 month are from that date or the date you had your infopass.

Truthfully, I didn't even think of asking the IO when my name check cleared. When he said the magic words (name check cleared), I instantly forgot about everything else. My assumption would be that the IL should arrive in 1-2 months from the date of InfoPass.

After my InfoPass, first thing I do when I get home from work is check my mailbox. Hang in there, bro, we're almost there.

I don't blame you.
Would likely have forgotten to ask as well.

If I ever have to do an infopass I surely will give them a Q&A written up with anything I can think off. For me, that would be a major deal since it's a little ways and likely would take an entire day off from work.

Hey Nimche -

Relax my friend. Take a few days to just tune all this USCIS and immigration stuff out of your life. I know it is hard to do at times, especially since you really want this for family reunification. However, think of it this way ... don't check the PO Box on Saturdays - you know why? The mail will be there on Monday when you do go. It isn't going any where!

I hope you get your IL soon.

Regards.

It is hard to understand, but I am yet to go crazy and I should say I am fine. What I am trying to do is just make her happy; cuz a minutes of her life being happy is me feeling a lot better. Therefore, there is nothing to stop me from not checking my mails on Saturday, especially you Lolali!! I am just joking.
I have nothing else to do, during the week I just work and study and this is my experience of life right now, sort of bored. Let it be. (I may get it today :D )

I don't blame you.
Would likely have forgotten to ask as well.

If I ever have to do an infopass I surely will give them a Q&A written up with anything I can think off. For me, that would be a major deal since it's a little ways and likely would take an entire day off from work.

Good idea. If it's a long trip for you, it's better to have as many of your questions as possible answered the first time. Not to beat a dead horse, but why is it so difficult to provide this information over the phone? It's just rudimentary stuff that only takes a minute or so to access on the computer.

Because it has to be *secret*.

Imagine you could actually check your status online or the IO would send you an email with questions that you can simply answer and attach paper work to.
That would be an unthinkable improvement - please, get off the dream boat!!!!

Actually, since I am in the computer industrie, USCIS should be completely ashamed of itself in that regards.

When I needed dual citizenship permission from Germany, I filed the paperwork and then had a few e-mail exchanges, sent them employment verifications via e-mail (no originals) and it was done and over with.

In this day and age the way this process works is more then redicules and Congress for that matter should simply state that they are "incompetent" to address anything adequately.

However, this by no means should imply that USCIS doesn't have every right to check out applicants and even with a 18 month wait, I think it's not all that bad - I just think their communication policy sucks. There is no transparancy, accountability or logic that can be applied to the process and after all, that is the issue we all have.

The only thing that matters to most of us, is timely information and that is totally missing. It only took them a week to update the processing times - man, you got more then $600 buckos from me, get busy and buy a Dell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just when we think we have finally figured out how the USCIS works, something like this happens and blows a big hole in our theory.

here's my attempt to understand based on stats http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=274829 , but after reading this topic i am already questioning my theory :confused: :)

Because it has to be *secret*.
I just think their communication policy sucks. There is no transparancy, accountability or logic that can be applied to the process and after all, that is the issue we all have.

some more dead horse beating:
no other institution especially private would let so much money just sit as checks with no interest,

check cashing stopped somewhere in min July for some cases and resumed in October November,

July was 120 000 appliactions, let's say half wasnt cashed, Aug 75 000, sep 80 000, 90 000 - that adds up - 60 000 at 400$ per application - 24 000 000 USD, then 245 000 applications at 675$ = 165 375 000 USD, ok, even if it's

100 000 000 USD at 3% APY would make 5 000 000 in 3 month.... but it didnt, it was just sitting in USCIS mailrooms

I agree about their communication policy. In fact, it's not just that, but also the way they disseminate information. Instead of providing something as simple as name check status over the phone, we are forced to make InfoPass appointments to get that information. I happen to be one of the lucky people who lives within a few miles of my DO. What about people who have to drive 3-4 hours to InfoPass? Also, let's not forget the fact that forcing applicants to schedule an InfoPass to get basic information is a complete waste of federal resources. InfoPass should be reserved for situations that warrant real attention, such as not receiving an oath letter 3-4 months after the interview. Basic information should be made available over the phone, as well as over the internet. Ideally, the USCIS should invest more resources in the case status online system. Imagine being able to log into your portfolio and see exactly where your case is? If UPS and FedEx are able to track a package every step of the way, why can't a federal agency with a lot more resources at their disposal do the same?

Well,

I have been pondering filing a "friend of the court" brief with the court that recently questioned the "name check" requirement.

Part of the issue is how CIS can provide information and I fear that all they come up with in the 800 number or infopass. However, as we all know, they never update the case status or even email something.

If they were utilizing that and basically start with information as to in what stage of the process your case is in, then that's a start. They can refine that as they go.

Calling 800 is useless and often infopass doesn't seem to provide anything useful either.
If CIS sticks to those, then we are not advancing one step further.

Another friend which was stuck in name check, just got an interview in San DIego. She got it last night in mail for April 1st. Online status and LUD are not changed and still showing the first notice. It sucks that just keep you in statuless position.
Why did they even bother to create the online update system?