New Green Card and moving to Canada

dreamzdesi

Registered Users (C)
We just got green card last month but will be moving to Canada in May as my wife's US based employer has a project for her in Canada. I also have to move with her there and find a job for myself. The question is how to maintain permanent resident status while working in Canada. Her project is at least for 1 year.

Should we apply for re-entry permit now? How long it takes to get it?
Will I also get a re-entry permit based on my spouse's movement?
Can we come in and out multiple times to US for visit on this re-entry permit?

Thanks

IF her employer would hold off the transfer for a solid year after the greencard was issued and she does not leave the U.S. for a solid year, then she could be eligible to file an N-470 to preserve naturalization eligibility. You would all also need re-entry permits.

IF that is not an option, then all the greencard holders who are going abroad need re-entry permits only just to protect the greencards. SHE would be OK to work abroad IF the U.S. employer keeps her on the U.S. payroll. You could endanger your greencard by working abroad for a foreign (non-U.S.) employer.

Can't she remain U.S. based and just take some business trips?

IF the employer was the basis for the greencards, they would be throwing all that away by doing something so stupid!

Talk to the employer and competent immigration counsel.

Thanks Joe.

She has not been with employer for more than a year so I guess we would have to take re entry permit.

Its sad that I would be in danger of losing my green card status if I get a non US based employer. What else can I do? I have to go with my spouse and work in Canada. And the way to work there is have a local non US employer there.

Thanks Joe.

She has not been with employer for more than a year so I guess we would have to take re entry permit.

Its sad that I would be in danger of losing my green card status if I get a non US based employer. What else can I do? I have to go with my spouse and work in Canada. And the way to work there is have a local non US employer there.

What was the basis for the greencards? Was it her job or was it something else (family, asylum??)? I was saying that she should talk to the employer and explain the bad situation that the employer is placing her and her family in. Is her employer so clueless on the consequences of the request?

We got green card based on EB1 approved I-140 as extra ordinary researcher which I used to get green card and my wife got being my spouse.
I still have my EB2 approve I-140 and haven't used it to apply I-485. Can I use it to apply in future (when its priority date comes) in case my present green card is disapproved on moving to Canada?
Thanks.

Why don't you stay in the US and your wife find a different employer? She doesn't have to move there for work. What are you, indentured servants??