• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New Definition of Public Charge Proposed

I don’t know precisely what it is the hospital is offering you, I don’t know the terms and conditions based on what you’ve posted here, I have no idea what they’re tying the help in deductible portion of your insurance payment to, so I can’t say if that will end up being an issue for you or not.
Thanks for your time and efforts to reply. It called discount or financial medical help not from the state or government but from the hospital itself.
Here is how it’s working , I have our insurance through our job, as you know each employee pays first up to $4000 then we pay nothing until the end of the year and I asked the hospital if they can help us with the bills after my insurance pays first to the hospital for our part deductible and still the insurance pays them at the same time , so they said they approved us to pay the part that we have to pay based on our income. thank you

Last edited:
@Sm1smom , does public charge matter for n400? I don’t remember any questions relating to that but I may just have forgotten.
Susie, isn’t the new law applies for the GC holders and might effects the N-400? Thanks for any information
I wish I don’t use this help but this is the situation now.

Last edited:
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge says

Under Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), an individual seeking admission to the United States or seeking to adjust status to that of an individual lawfully admitted for permanent residence (Green Card) is inadmissible if the individual, "at the time of application for admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public charge." Public charge does not apply in naturalization proceedings. If an individual is inadmissible, admission to the United States or adjustment of status is not granted.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge says

Under Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), an individual seeking admission to the United States or seeking to adjust status to that of an individual lawfully admitted for permanent residence (Green Card) is inadmissible if the individual, "at the time of application for admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public charge." Public charge does not apply in naturalization proceedings. If an individual is inadmissible, admission to the United States or adjustment of status is not granted.

There is a caveat to that (a couple actually). Both are somewhat technical - so not likely to cause a problem - but technically possible.

1. A person who somehow broke the law in receiving public assistance (for example, continued to receive food stamps/section 8 while being outside the country) could have a problem.
2. An LPR that was out of the country for more than 6 months and had used public assistance in the past might actually have been inadmissable at the time of re-entry. The IO might not have caught it, but it could come up again in the naturalization process.

There is a caveat to that (a couple actually). Both are somewhat technical - so not likely to cause a problem - but technically possible.

1. A person who somehow broke the law in receiving public assistance (for example, continued to receive food stamps/section 8 while being outside the country) could have a problem.
2. An LPR that was out of the country for more than 6 months and had used public assistance in the past might actually have been inadmissable at the time of re-entry. The IO might not have caught it, but it could come up again in the naturalization process.

Re 1), breaking the law on most things is a problem ..I assumed if anything illegal was the issue it would have been raised.

Re 2), yes applicants need to bear in mind their entire history as a LPR can be re-examined, including whether or not CBP was correct to let them re-enter at any stage.

Neither of those seem to be a problem for someone now possibly using benefits (I don't know enough about it to know if what OP wants to do is even a problem) a few months before applying for n400, on the facts stated. Of course with any poster there may be factors we don’t know that affect the outcome, we can only go on what is provided.

Re 1), breaking the law on most things is a problem ..I assumed if anything illegal was the issue it would have been raised.

Re 2), yes applicants need to bear in mind their entire history as a LPR can be re-examined, including whether or not CBP was correct to let them re-enter at any stage.

Neither of those seem to be a problem for someone now possibly using benefits (I don't know enough about it to know if what OP wants to do is even a problem) a few months before applying for n400, on the facts stated. Of course with any poster there may be factors we don’t know that affect the outcome, we can only go on what is provided.
yes of course braking the law or any illegal thing is very bad and it’s a problem.

@Sm1smom , does public charge matter for n400? I don’t remember any questions relating to that but I may just have forgotten.

I honestly can’t recall either if there’s any public charge related question on the N400, and I’m feeling too lazy right now to check (it’s been a rather long and hectic day for me).

However considering the current administration’s anti immigration stance, and seeing how they have no qualms with making sudden changes (with devastating consequences), I personally will be weary of applying for anything that could possibly impact my naturalization process or keep me up at nights prior to becoming a USC.