• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New bill to replace the diversity visa lottery

Hi tazmania, first congratulations because i think you got your visa now,about the new bill i think when this bill become a law over 90% of the applicants will win because many people with high degrees do not need to play the lottery to go to america, and they can call it the special lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I will like this bill in 4yrs but right now I don't. Let the Americans ask themselves how they got to America. It wasn't by holding advance degrees, it was simple immigration. I prefer diversity to advance degree holders because the ones that I have met lack creativity; they always go according to the book. I have met non advance degree holders who have brilliant ideas for the future, all they need is people to work for them. I say this bill will never see the light of day. The Democrats won't vote it. If Obama becomes president, he won't also vote it.

Every year there are several bills to eliminate or reduce DV immigration. None of them has ever come to law.

I say this bill will never see the light of day. The Democrats won't vote it. If Obama becomes president, he won't also vote it.
I have a different opinion about it and see a good chance that both, Democrats and Republicans will vote for it. Why should they vote against a program that will bring thousends of high qualified workers to the US instead of a lot with low education?

I have a different opinion about it and see a good chance that both, Democrats and Republicans will vote for it. Why should they vote against a program that will bring thousends of high qualified workers to the US instead of a lot with low education?

I AGREE WITH YA.ITS A STAND ALONE BILL AND THE POSSIBILITY OF IT PASSING THIS TIME IS UP THERE BECAUSE ITS NOT ATTACHED TO ANY OTHER REDICULOUS BILL. SO, 2009 WINNERS, STAY AT ALERT

What will happen if this bill is passed?

In the bill you find

`(A) IN GENERAL- Qualified immigrants who hold a master's or doctorate degree in the life sciences, the physical sciences, mathematics, technology, or engineering shall be issued immigrant visas or otherwise granted permanent resident status each fiscal year in a number not to exceed the worldwide level allotted under section 201(e).

I suppose they revoke all applictions without master or doctorate

Hi tazmania and johnkent (both winners of dv 2008) , i just want to ask if both of you have master or doctorate? the second one what about your opinions if you are not winners of ex dv lottery? , finally no one knows what is going to happen . thank you.

Hi tazmania and johnkent (both winners of dv 2008) , i just want to ask if both of you have master or doctorate? the second one what about your opinions if you are not winners of ex dv lottery? , finally no one knows what is going to happen . thank you.

am working on my master right now

This is only my opinion, but I would think if they pass the bill, that it would go in to affect from the start of the next finanical year (i.e. for DV2010 applicants).

As with most policies, they don't tend to affect things that are already underway.

This is only my opinion, but I would think if they pass the bill, that it would go in to affect from the start of the next finanical year (i.e. for DV2010 applicants).

As with most policies, they don't tend to affect things that are already underway.

Yea, that is what my husband also said. Hopefully this will be for DV2010. Nevertheless hubby's got a Phd. but I have only an advance diploma. And I am the DV winner. :confused:

This bill if becomes a law, it will be affective Oct 2008. It clearly says so in the text of the bill. This means that no immigrant visa would be available for the DV 2009 winners. Additionally, the bill is to replace the DV lottery and use the 50,000 immigrant visa for the business (EB) immigration. They would not pick only the DV winners who have advance degrees. No, these 50,000 would be used to process immigrant applications for the EB business immigrants.

If this bill becomes a law, it would be the end of DV lottery. I think it is too early to speculate on the outcome. However, for years many groups have tried to cancel the DV lottery, and they will eventuality succeed. The DV lottery really has no future. No on in the political world wants it.

Let us all hope that they do not cancel the lottery after they notify people that they have one. This would be cruel. A fair way to stop is just to announce that they will be no DV lottery in 2010. But, no one is looking to be fair.

Good luck to all.

Bill 1350

Hi all,

I was checking around and came across this link which has the same bill which has been introduced concering DV.The same senator introduced the same bill last year around May 10th,and the effective date was Oct 1,2007,it seems it didn't go anywhere.The link is:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1350

How is that different from the one introduced this April?

My $0.02: It would be to much work revoking 2009 notifications. They have already put too much work and resources into it, not to mention the political fall out. The would have to ammend the date that bill goes into effect like they do with most bills anyway. That said, I would say KEEP the DV program going forever! We can't all be border jumpers.

Hi all,

I was checking around and came across this link which has the same bill which has been introduced concering DV.The same senator introduced the same bill last year around May 10th,and the effective date was Oct 1,2007,it seems it didn't go anywhere.The link is:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1350

How is that different from the one introduced this April?

There is many and many bills aim to eliminate or amend DV in recent years and none of bills has been passed

Here is the bill which related to DV in 110th Congress: H.R.750, H.R.1430, H.R.1645, H.R.3064, H.R.3371, H.R.4065, H.R.4192, S.1350, S.2868

If this bill passes then it will likely influence Dv2010 program. As someone pointed out it is not going to make sense to abolish DV 2009 as State Department has already started the process. Although there might be a probability of lawsuit that might challenge the validity of the effective date of law as it might potentially influence thousands of people around the world.
Although I agree that requiring advanced degree or occupation in the areas of great need makes perfect sense for the country punishment of applicants that are currently in the "pipeline" is highly unlikely.
As america is struggling in providing services and jobs to LPRs and USCs it looks like that country is "diverse enough" to get rid of DV program.
There has been a lot of talk about moving away from family and DV immigration toward professional immigration.
Is it going to happen? The answer is certainly yes. When? Noone knows.
However, DV program does not have any support among neither Democrats or Republicans so it is probably short time away from being abolished.
Finally, let's wish good luck to DV2009 participans as I myself have two friends that won lottery from Europe and hopefully will join me in nations capital by next year.

If this bill passes then it will likely influence Dv2010 program. As someone pointed out it is not going to make sense to abolish DV 2009 as State Department has already started the process. Although there might be a probability of lawsuit that might challenge the validity of the effective date of law as it might potentially influence thousands of people around the world.
Although I agree that requiring advanced degree or occupation in the areas of great need makes perfect sense for the country punishment of applicants that are currently in the "pipeline" is highly unlikely.
As america is struggling in providing services and jobs to LPRs and USCs it looks like that country is "diverse enough" to get rid of DV program.
There has been a lot of talk about moving away from family and DV immigration toward professional immigration.
Is it going to happen? The answer is certainly yes. When? Noone knows.
However, DV program does not have any support among neither Democrats or Republicans so it is probably short time away from being abolished.
Finally, let's wish good luck to DV2009 participans as I myself have two friends that won lottery from Europe and hopefully will join me in nations capital by next year.

I think the main point is the possibility for amend or eliminate the DV finally

I'd do research for such bills about 3 years, and I discovered that most of the bills will be dead in committee or committee delete it or after debate but no vote.

I think at least 50 ~ 80 bills related to DV in the last 5 years and just about 2 ~ 3 can vote in congress

So that I think we should discuss do the bill can vote or not, more than the effect on DV actually