• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New bill to replace the diversity visa lottery

The final bill will not exclude Dv2008, 2009 and 2010 winners. I cant imagine how it could be retroactive given the facts that you have already won and entitiled to the provision under the DV lottery. It could be too controversy and could easily be challenged in court.

And I suspect that the final bill will only include applicants who hold Phd from US accredited institutions only with some exceptions.

Cheers

This bill if becomes a law, it will be affective Oct 2008. It clearly says so in the text of the bill. This means that no immigrant visa would be available for the DV 2009 winners. Additionally, the bill is to replace the DV lottery and use the 50,000 immigrant visa for the business (EB) immigration. They would not pick only the DV winners who have advance degrees. No, these 50,000 would be used to process immigrant applications for the EB business immigrants.

If this bill becomes a law, it would be the end of DV lottery. I think it is too early to speculate on the outcome. However, for years many groups have tried to cancel the DV lottery, and they will eventuality succeed. The DV lottery really has no future. No on in the political world wants it.

Let us all hope that they do not cancel the lottery after they notify people that they have one. This would be cruel. A fair way to stop is just to announce that they will be no DV lottery in 2010. But, no one is looking to be fair.

Good luck to all.

Will this bill affect those of us who have picked our visas already and yet to travel? Though DV 2009

CN:#2009AF00014XXX
NL recieved 18th April
Letter posted to KCC 5th May
sent mail to KCC in July 10
KCC comfirmed reciept of form July 11
Current in December
Police Cert completed
KCC confirm interview for 19/12/08
2ND LETTER RECIEVED 14/11/08
Interview reschedulled to 23/2/09
successful fisrt interview 23/2/09
medicals completed
second interview 16/04/09
Sucessful second interview 16/04/2009
visa pick up 24/04/2009
Picked up visas for the Two 24/04/09
Prov. 21:31 Horses are made ready for battle but vitory is in the hands of God

In my opinion, DV 2009 winners will receive their PR status. Dont worry about it. After all, none of us have any control over it. Let's focus on circus on influence, not circle of concern.

Will this bill affect those of us who have picked our visas already and yet to travel? Though DV 2009

CN:#2009AF00014XXX
NL recieved 18th April
Letter posted to KCC 5th May
sent mail to KCC in July 10
KCC comfirmed reciept of form July 11
Current in December
Police Cert completed
KCC confirm interview for 19/12/08
2ND LETTER RECIEVED 14/11/08
Interview reschedulled to 23/2/09
successful fisrt interview 23/2/09
medicals completed
second interview 16/04/09
Sucessful second interview 16/04/2009
visa pick up 24/04/2009
Picked up visas for the Two 24/04/09
Prov. 21:31 Horses are made ready for battle but vitory is in the hands of God

The final bill will not exclude Dv2008, 2009 and 2010 winners. I cant imagine how it could be retroactive given the facts that you have already won and entitiled to the provision under the DV lottery. It could be too controversy and could easily be challenged in court.

And I suspect that the final bill will only include applicants who hold Phd from US accredited institutions only with some exceptions.

Cheers

Does it mean that you know the content of the bill? Can you share with us? Thank you!

That bill cited by the OP a year ago didn't even make it out of the subcommittee! It is dead. See:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-2868

HOWEVER, there is a current house bill that is similar (H.R. 2305):

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2305

It has 26 co-sponsors, and is referred to the subcommittee. If it is passed, the effective date is Oct 1, 2009 (Hence, DV-2010 may be affected IF passed). Given the current economic environmental, this bill will likely not make it out of the subcommittee, like its predecessors.

I'd just check that, the major difference with past year is that, Bob Goodlatte is in the House Committee on the Judiciary in 111th Congress as a Vice Ranking Member