New Asylee - Advice please!!

Asylees can have employers petition GC on their behalf, without H1-B!

I just got word from my lawyer that asylees can try to get a greencard through their employers so long as they maintain lawful status throughout the entire process. Meaning? It may be quicker than the asylum process (depends on a number of factors). I was suggested to get a lawyer in my jurisdiction who is EXPERT in employment based cases. Apparently, asylees do not need to be in H-1B status to have their employers petition on their behalf. Hope this helps.

No Title

Keagles,

Have you thought about meeting your parents and siblings in a third country? I am a Chinese myself and I saw my family in an Asian country. It is killing two birds with one stone. I saw them and they got their first foreign vacation ever.

marriage?

Hi..My girlfirend hold a greencard and if we get married, how long do i have to wait to get green card and can i go back to my home country after that? and what will happend to my Asylee status? Thanxs guys

No Title

I think you still need wait for a long time( maybe shorter than asylees). If your wife is citizen, you can get your green card faster.Not sure if your status will change or not but your GC will not fall in to AS( Like Tim said)

No Title

Thanks for suggestion. Actually, my situation is bit different. Besides visitng my parents I need marry my girl friend.Oh my god, it\'s tough!

No Title

I called my lawyer( acually his assistant). She said don\'t bother to get GC through since I already filed my I485 through asulum. It will give me extra headache and waste money. Oh well....

No Title

I am not from China, but I am pretty sure that you should be more concern, not about what will happen if Chinese government will find out, but what will happen if us government will find out. You will lose your status for sure. And if GC will have a05 stamp on it, it might trigger some problem in the border control/citizenship interview too. Of course INS issued visa to well-known terrorists, but why risk

Thanxs keagles

I heard i have to wait for 2 years the longest and someone else told me i have to wait 6 odd years. Its kind of confusing to get diffrent answer from everyone.

No Title

Actually, when I went to INS office this February to file inquiry on the status of my case, INS officer told me unofficially, that current wait might be up to 12 years. I believe that in one of previous threads somebody quoted INS, that they have 120000 backlog on asylee adjustment, which under present situation means 12 years. Personally, I am a little more hopeful. It seems that average waiting time now is 6-7 years. For all we now, rules might be changed next year, and we all will get our GC immediately

No Title

I think you might need wait more than 2 years. If you marry a GC holder and apply GC there is a quota limit each year and you have to wait in line.Here is a link about the waiting list if you can read chinese.
http://immigration.sina.com/us-immigration/imm/1015874356/1015874356_2.html
I think you belong to 2nd priority and INS are still processing 08DEC96\'s case.
But if your girl friend can obtain her citizenship next year you get your GC faster.

No Title

2 years longest is the right time for people with status REFUGEE. Many people confuse them with asylee, but they are different, supposedly cap on refugee enforced by US embassies, conducting interview for refugee status, so they don\'t have quote on number of GC, also their 5 years for citizenship starts from the date they enter US. When I received asylum, I filed "family reunion" application for my parents and they received refugee status. They are going to apply for citizens next year, so I seriously consider, that now they might file "family reunion" for me.

aanv, what do u mean?

so i have to wait 2 years the longest if i marry my girlfriend who is holding a greencard? i don\'t get what u mean in the previous message..thanxs

No Title

Andrew01,

If you marry a LPR today and immediately file the I-130 with the INS, it is estimated that you will wait 5-6 years before you are eligible to immigrate on the basis of that marriage. At that point, you can file an I-485 here or go to foreign consulate. In the former case, because of INS backlogs at district offices, it can take two years before your adjustment is approved. I think that is why some people told you that the wait is two years.

No Title

Keagles,

I am sorry about your predicament. The only suggestion I can think of offhand is if your girlfriend manages to get a non-immigrant visa to the United States and then marries you here, she has a good chance of getting asylum. But I understand that she faces an uphill battle in getting the visa.

Gilbert, wait for 8 years?

so i have to wait for 6 years for the I-130 and another 2 years for I-485. total of 8 years? the waiting time is about the same as waiting to get greencard through asylee. thats crazy

No Title

Your calculation looks good to me. Technically, it does not take six years to process the I-130. It takes six years for the PD tied to it to become current. It could be faster if you go for consular processing. But then you have to think about the 3/10 year bars as well as the grave risks of going to Guangzhou. It gets complicated.

If your girlfriend becomes a citizen, you are in good shape.

No Title

I am sorry, I followed wrong thread and did not realize that you were talking about GC through marriage. A couple years ago, friend of mine, who had refugee GC applied for "family reunion" for her husband, who still lived in her home town. I believe it took about 2 years to get entrance permit, then there is an year before he could apply for GC and another 1.5 until he got it - 4.5 years altogether. Of course it might be different if you inside the country. Another friend of mine waits her interview in INS. Her husband has a GC. Her lawyer(actually my asylum lawyer, I recommended her) told her that wait will be ~2years. The worst part, that INS refused to renew her EAD until she passes the interview, she is not eligible.

Thanxs Gilbert

yeah i\'ll probaly wait for the GC through Asylee. I\'m not from China by the way. Thanxs

Would INS consider my EAD application, an initial app, or Renewal EAD?

Hi, newbie asylee here. Thanks for all the advice and information so far. Keep \'em coming. Here\'s my situation. I plan to file for my EAD. Now, I had an H1-B1 before; Keagles told me I just lost that. Boo hoo. I have never applied for EAD through my asylum application. Now, would INS consider my EAD application an initial application (thus, no filing fee), or is it a Renewal EAD? Was my H1-B1 my first EAD? All advice helps.