New Asylee - Advice please!!

Danc01

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone. I am a new asylee, just recently approved. I was overjoyed to find out that I am approved, but now I am coming down to earth. 12 years to get a GC! That\'s scary. I am putting in a application for EAD now. I am currently on H1-B1. Do I need a lawyer to help me get a file I-485? Do I have to pay for renewal EAD? etc. etc. So many questions for this newbie. Please help.

You can have only one status.( I think)

As my lawyer told me , people can only have one status. For you, if you got your asylum status approved, you lost your H1 status. I had the same situation as you one year ago. The trick is if you want get GC faster, you\'d better keep your H1(seems too late. Opps). If you want hold a relative stable in US. Alylee might be better. My friend just got his GC 1 month ago through H1B1. He just took 2 years from the very first step.

you do not have to get an EAD

Congratulations.

Under current rules, it is not necessary to keep getting your EAD renewed. Just go to your local social security office to get a normal card.

No Title

Congratulations!

I never had a H1 so I might be ignorant on this. But I think your employer can sponsor you for Green Card without the requirement that you have an H1. So if I were you I\'d ask them to apply labor certificate for me. Too bad my company doesn\'t sponsor anyone.

Advice & Information Welcomed!

Thank you for all the information. They surely will help me find my way through all this asylum-GC-H1-B1 maze. I never knew that one cannot have 2 status, and that I will have to give up my H1-B1. I didn\'t know it can take up to 12 years to get a GC via asylum, and that the H1-B may be a shorter route. I am taking in all this now. Does being an asylee mean that I may never be able to go back to my home country to visit relatives for a short time every year? And the EAD thing. I know I need that one, and has the INS waived the fee for asylees. More information helps, so please keep \'em coming. Thanks.

No Title

Go get a unrestricted Social Security Card. Then you don\'t need an EAD any more. Read other posts on this board. There is necessary information there.

You can not go back to your home country just to visit your relatives. You may lose your asylee status that way. You are only supposed to go back in an humanitarian emergency.

I just consulted a lawyer

She told me asylee can still apply GC through company sponsring. The current waitting time could be less than 1 year since there is no waitting . I think it\'s a good way to try. Thanks Tim for the info. I feel really bad since I alreay wasted 1 year.......Bad thing is you might need pay extra $5000.

No Title

I personally would not spend big bucks as an asylee to do a labor certification. I could do a lot of things with $5000. Dealing with the immigration office brings me headache. The less the better.

You are right

It\'s too expensive for me. The only reason i want get GC faster is becasue I want come back visit my old parents......
Well, I think I won\'t spend that much money to give myself extra headache. Hope new laws will be issued to help our asylees get GC faster.

Choice between 5K and 12 years wait?

Well, Bobbie, none of can wait for 12 to get our GC, and be constrained by certain conditions of our asylum approval. Choosing between $5000 and 12 years\' wait is actually a no-brainer. We still have relatives back where we came from.

Keagles, could you please share with us what you found out. You mean go through the whole Labor Certification process? But I thought you said we\'d already lost our H1-B1 status. Can we still do our Labor Certification? And what\'s this about "no waiting time"? Please share, ok?

Also, can someone please help me with this EAD, and a SS Card with no restrictions? I already have a SS Card with no restrictions (no stamps). Do I still need to apply for my EAD? Please advise.

where did you get the info that we have to wait 12 years?

My lawyer told me it would be 4-7 years to get GC, which is already too long in my opinion. I definitely don\'t want to wait 12 years!

green card

I called a lawyer in San Jose. She said you can have only one status in US but you can apply GC in many ways. Employment is a good choice. What i mean "waiting time "is each year there is quota for I-485 adjustment through employment like what we have in asylee now. But since US ecnomic is bad, quota is avilable all the time. Lawyer told me to get labor certificate may take longer time but you don\'t need wait for I-140 and- I485. I think the whole process will be less than 2 years.

Question for Tim

As you said. Our GC will fall into AS category. Will this be appeared on greend card itself? Do we have trouble with this green card travel back to our own country? Thanks

12 years?

We may not have to wait for 12 years. 4-7 years is possible. Think about new asylees five years later. Do they have to wait 20 years? I think something must be done to improve this... Hope i am right.

I can answer the question for Tim

AS (Code for Asylum) will appear in your green card. At least the Chinese government understand the code. (I guess Tim is from China, and unfortunately, me too). I don\'t know if this will cause trouble for us in the future, but since we still need to wait a long time for the GC, I currently don\'t want to worry about this future issue.

I am still confused

What does "one status" mean? If my employer willing to sponsor my GC, does the "one staus" mean that I have to give up my current asylee staus before they could start doing the labor certificate? Thanks for your reply.

Asylee can get GC through employment??

Let me get this straight. H1-B who become asylee lose their H1-B, but they can still get GC through employment? Need to pay $$, of course. Is it that asylees may have advantage over H1-B in that there\'s only need to get Labor Certification? No need to get the I-140, and I-485??
We don\'t have to give up our asylee status? I once thought that only H1-B can get GC through employment,but I\'m learning stuff left and right these days. Please help!

that\'s bad

I am from China too. So what will happen when chinese goverment find you are a asylee when you enter china? I do know some of my asylee friends entered china with their GC and Chinese passport with no problem.

No Title

I think one status means you can either be H1B1 holder or be an asylee. But you can apply file your I-485 through diffent ways:Asylum,
marrige,employment etc.If you are an asylee but you want get GC through employment. You still need go through laber certificate, I-140 andI-485. The $$ is for lawyer fee.