Naturalization Interview Today

Novascotiarn

Registered Users (C)
I just got back from my interview today in Memphis...

Officer asked for my green card, DL and passports (she did not look through my passports at all) nor made any copies

She asked me to tell here my address and phone number and if there were any changes to my application. She asked my if I have ever registered to vote, if I owe any taxes and if I was a member of a communist party, if I have ever been arrested or in prison.

She asked me to write " I want to be an American citizen" and to read to her "The process is almost over"

She asked me 6 of the civics question - all were easy ones

She had me sign my photos and handed me my N-652 and said I was approved and should receive my oath letter in the next week or so.

Overall, it took about 5 minutes and was not stressful at all. The officer was very pleasant! My experience with the USCIS up until now was not so great so it was refreshing to have an IO that was pleasant and not arrogant in any way and actually was excited about me becoming a citizen!

I have been here since Jan. 1997. How long have you been in the US? I am just glad to be almost at the end of the journey. Dealing with USCIS is not the most pleasant experience to say the least as I am sure you are well aware!!

I have been here since Jan. 1997. How long have you been in the US? I am just glad to be almost at the end of the journey. Dealing with USCIS is not the most pleasant experience to say the least as I am sure you are well aware!!
I moved down a few months after you ( August 1997). Same here. First the delays with GC and now naturalization. I'll be glad once it's all over.

I have made an Infopass appointment for Aug. 20th to check on my oath letter. Our mail has been sketchy recently and I want to make sure it hasn't been lost. My IO was very sure I would receive my letter within two weeks. Hopefully, I will receive the letter before my infopass.

Spoke with IO from USCIS today

I just called USCIS and spoke with an IO and I was told I am just waiting for my oath letter to be mailed since he assumed they are finalizing oath dates. I asked him is my file was APPROVED and he said yes. So I guess I will just have to wait. He told me to call next week and check if no oath letter received.

How do you get to an IO?

I just called USCIS and spoke with an IO and I was told I am just waiting for my oath letter to be mailed since he assumed they are finalizing oath dates. I asked him is my file was APPROVED and he said yes. So I guess I will just have to wait. He told me to call next week and check if no oath letter received.

Hi, I have been trying to get to an IO but haven't figured out how. My daughter and I have scheduled an infopass for this friday but we are not sure if it's worth driving from Knoxville to Memphis - 6 hrs one way. We had our interview on Aug. 13th and had requested they try to get us into the earliest oath date since we have to go to India and my IO called me back a couple of days later and told me they were trying to get us into the oath ceremony that is on the 5th (this friday). Got information via the senator's office that they were not able to schedule us because they were full! Anyone think it'd be worth driving to Memphis on friday? There are two more ceremonies coming up, one on the 25th and one on the 26th, but I don't know if we will make the list. Ideas, tips, advices appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I have been trying to get to an IO but haven't figured out how. My daughter and I have scheduled an infopass for this friday but we are not sure if it's worth driving from Knoxville to Memphis - 6 hrs one way. We had our interview on Aug. 13th and had requested they try to get us into the earliest oath date since we have to go to India and my IO called me back a couple of days later and told me they were trying to get us into the oath ceremony that is on the 5th (this friday). Got information via the senator's office that they were not able to schedule us because they were full! Anyone think it'd be worth driving to Memphis on friday? There are two more ceremonies coming up, one on the 25th and one on the 26th, but I don't know if we will make the list. Ideas, tips, advices appreciated. Thanks.

If you really can't hold off India trip, you can always reschedule the oath for when you return instead of worrying if you'll get oath on 25th or 26th and have time to obtain passport and Indian visa in time.

If you really can't hold off India trip, you can always reschedule the oath for when you return instead of worrying if you'll get oath on 25th or 26th and have time to obtain passport and Indian visa in time.

Thank you for the immediate response..I know we could do that but we will be gone for a while and would like to get this behind us, if at all possible.

Call USCIS cust number

TNcitizen,

First try calling the cust service number and see what the officer tells you. Please make sure you get an officer on the line and not the regular rep who answers the phone. Somehow you will have to convince them to escalate your call to the immigration officer coz talking to the rep is useless. IO's are able to look into your file/case more in depth. This is what you tell them. You were just transferred to the IO and the line got disconnected & if this doesn't work, tell him/her that you have applied for N-400 and still waiting for the receipt for several months.

Here is the best way to dial and get the rep on the phone in less than a minute. Keep in mind that the phone lines are open until 6pm.

1-800-375-5283

Select options: 1-1-2-0

Good luck.

TNcitizen,

First try calling the cust service number and see what the officer tells you. Please make sure you get an officer on the line and not the regular rep who answers the phone. Somehow you will have to convince them to escalate your call to the immigration officer coz talking to the rep is useless. IO's are able to look into your file/case more in depth. This is what you tell them. You were just transferred to the IO and the line got disconnected & if this doesn't work, tell him/her that you have applied for N-400 and still waiting for the receipt for several months.

Here is the best way to dial and get the rep on the phone in less than a minute. Keep in mind that the phone lines are open until 6pm.

1-800-375-5283

Select options: 1-1-2-0

Good luck.

Thank you for the detailed response Atlanta Brother. I did try this, like you suggested and perhaps I am not convincing enough but the CSU was quite rude and told me she could only transfer me to the next level of customer service. The second lady I talked to told me we were placed in the queue on aug. 18th but have not been scheduled. So I'm still in a dilemma as to whether or not I should keep my infopass appt tomorrow and attempt the 6 hrs one way drive to Memphis. Not sure I would get a different response going up there in person? I have read posts where people have been to infopass appts. and walked out with oath letters so I'm thinking it might be a good idea.. One never knows with the government tho....

Thank you for the detailed response Atlanta Brother. I did try this, like you suggested and perhaps I am not convincing enough but the CSU was quite rude and told me she could only transfer me to the next level of customer service. The second lady I talked to told me we were placed in the queue on aug. 18th but have not been scheduled. So I'm still in a dilemma as to whether or not I should keep my infopass appt tomorrow and attempt the 6 hrs one way drive to Memphis. Not sure I would get a different response going up there in person? I have read posts where people have been to infopass appts. and walked out with oath letters so I'm thinking it might be a good idea.. One never knows with the government tho....

The next level of customer service are IOs. Don't waste your time and money driving to Memphis, as the IO at InfoPass will tell you the same exact thing. They'll also tell you that the USCIS has 120 days from interview to render a decision and/or schedule the oath and that there's nothing that they can do at this time.

TNCitizen,

I agree with Vorpal that driving all the way for 6 straight hrs to Nashville is a killer, but on the other hand if you get lucky and end up getting in touch with a supervisor there your chances of getting your questions/concerns answered would be a lot higher. The reason I say that coz it worked for me when I went for my infopass apptt in Atlanta few days back. This supervisor was very helpful and was able to find out from the service center that my wife's name check and other backgrounds were complete and she is now in que for the interview. On the other hand when I called cust service and spoke to the next level officer, he had no idea about the background check and told me that the case was still pending. Driving 6 hrs is too much man, I don't know what to tell you. I hate you to go all the way to Nashville and come back with no outcome.

I think you should go for the infopass. It is my experience that face-to-face meetings are often more effective that phone calls. You may get a good IO who would expedite the oath for you, better still print out an oath letter at the infopass. The drive seems a bit long, but it should be good since you will be spending time with your daughter. Good luck!