Naturalization Interview - asked to come back for 2nd interview to test English Understanding

vishnsu

My wife had the naturalization interview last week in Newark, NJ. She answered all history, civics questions, wrote and read English accurately. She is not an expert in English but was successfully able to answer his questions so far. While the officer was going through the application asking routine questions - Ex: Have you ever joined a communist party? She answered NO which is correct. But, then he asked if she knows what communism is. She was not able to explain that. Officer asked her to reappear claiming that her ability to understand English is not to satisfaction. Her new interview date is after 2 months (Dec 16th). (I am surprised if she cant understand English at all, how could she answer the rest of the questions and read/write english). Any way, we can not question that.

Now, we are actually scheduled for an internation travel in the last week of November.

1. Is it okay to ask for a preponement of the interview. I have scheduled an Info Pass appointment to speak to an officer in person and request preponement for the reason.

2. If they say they can not prepone, is it okay to ask for postponement and travel out of USA.

3. Have you see offices being so strict about accuracy of English knowledge. From USCIS links, I understand that it is not to be tested for 100% accuracy.

I have tried going through all threads and did not find any thing related. Appreciate any earlier experience or help in this area.

My wife had the naturalization interview last week in Newark, NJ. She answered all history, civics questions, wrote and read English accurately. She is not an expert in English but was successfully able to answer his questions so far. While the officer was going through the application asking routine questions - Ex: Have you ever joined a communist party? She answered NO which is correct. But, then he asked if she knows what communism is. She was not able to explain that. Officer asked her to reappear claiming that her ability to understand English is not to satisfaction. Her new interview date is after 2 months (Dec 16th). (I am surprised if she cant understand English at all, how could she answer the rest of the questions and read/write english). Any way, we can not question that.

Now, we are actually scheduled for an internation travel in the last week of November.

1. Is it okay to ask for a preponement of the interview. I have scheduled an Info Pass appointment to speak to an officer in person and request preponement for the reason.

2. If they say they can not prepone, is it okay to ask for postponement and travel out of USA.

3. Have you see offices being so strict about accuracy of English knowledge. From USCIS links, I understand that it is not to be tested for 100% accuracy.

I have tried going through all threads and did not find any thing related. Appreciate any earlier experience or help in this area.
The IO failed her for not knowing what communism was? Was there anything else? If not, sounds like the IO was being a jerk (ie:didn't like her accent).
You can postpone interview with no issue. You can try to prepone it, but likely the DO won't allow it.

Prepone?

Make sure you don't ask the officer to 'prepone' the interview. It won't help your case...because 'prepone' is not a word! Maybe within the Indian subcontinent, but not in the US.

This reply is only half serious, btw.

Good luck.

Make sure you don't ask the officer to 'prepone' the interview. It won't help your case...because 'prepone' is not a word! Maybe within the Indian subcontinent, but not in the US.

This reply is only half serious, btw.

Good luck.

the correct word is "advance" . Pardon my English.

well u guys could add this prepone to ur vocabulary
[

AND YES , ITS A WORD

Of course it's a word, but only used in India as also stated by your sources. Believe me the same thing happens to me when i go to France, they tell me over there some of my french words are only used in Quebec and not in France (WTH)...:)

There are several parts of the English requirement:
Read,
Write,
Speak (even with a thick accent), and
Understand.

The Naturalization Officer has to make sure that the applicant understands the questions and not just parroting answers based on rehearsal and identifying questions by one key word.

In naturalization, the applicant is being asked if they understand the Oath they will be required to take.

It is an Oath of Renunciation and Allegiance. Do you really want to renounce loyalty to your home country? That is not a step to be taken lightly. Some people are pushed into filing an N-400 for reasons other than a desire to become a U.S. Citizen. That Officer's actions were in keeping with that concern.

Some N-400 applicants are forced to file an N-400 by their sponsors in order to end the sponsor's obligation under an I-864 Affidavit of Support or in order to qualify for SSI etc...

Not the most honorable of circumstances.