Naturalization interview and current passport

sunesh369

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
I have my naturalization interview coming up in 3 weeks. I currently have an Indian passport. That passport expires on June 01, 2007. Is that ok? Does the passport need to have validity for a certain number of months beyond the N400 interview?

Any other reason to renew my Indian passport now?

Thanks for your help.

2 options

Hi,

1. You can go to Indian consulate and get your passport extended in 1 day.

2. from some sites that I read,,they dont care if your passport is expired they just want to see the passport even if expired.(for immigration interview)

regards

Folks,
I have my naturalization interview coming up in 3 weeks. I currently have an Indian passport. That passport expires on June 01, 2007. Is that ok? Does the passport need to have validity for a certain number of months beyond the N400 interview?

Thanks for your help.

I don't see any reason why you need to worry about extending Indian Passport. Technically, when you take oath, you are an American Citizen. Once you are an American Citizen, your Indian Passport is not valid any way. Since this is happening before June 1st, I don't see any reason why you need to renew it. I am no expert. It's my opinion

As long as you don't want to leave the country after your passport expires and before your oath ceremony, it shouldn't be a problem

Flydog - a follow-up here

Flydog - What happens in this scenario?
Say in my naturalization interview in end of April they put my application on hold for some reason (e.g. I have 2 A#'s). Then it takes them more than a couple of months to do anything - ie case stays pending for a few months. Now come June when my Indian passport expires - will it be an issue? What will I need to do at that time? Can I apply for Indian passport while the application is pending for whatever reason after N400 interview?

Until you've actually taken the oath, your immigration status remains LPR, the same as it was before you submitted the N-400. You can therefore renew your Indian passport if you wish, or simply let it lapse if you have no need to travel until after oath.

as i see it, you are saving a mere $40 (cost of renewal of PP). What happens if your PP expires and you don't have your new US PP and there is a family emergency that requires for you to travel to India? Remember, we don't plan emergencies - they happen.

My PP is expiring in May and I got a new one!

no need...

Folks,

Thanks for your help.

You should be fine....there's no "REQUIREMENT" for your indian PP to be current. unless..like the other guys said... "if an emergency arrives" while you are in the gray area ( ~1.5 months: from today to your oath date). On your oath day, they take away your GC...then you have nothing that you can use for travel (cos indian passport becomes invalid- technically speaking, unless you get it cancelled from the Indian embassy).

After oath:

If you do have to travel .....
In that case, you will have to run to the Postal service center to get your US passport issued, and also go to the indian embassy to get a visa.

Before oath:
if you do have to travel...

You can renew indian PP even after it has has expired. don't worry...your interview+oath shud be benign.
Looking at the "june/01/07" expiration date...you shud be enjoying your citi cert ~ end of may. Then that indian passport becomes completely useless. Think about quickly getting an OCI or visa and send your expired indian passport to the embassy to get it cancelled. they don't care when you send it...as long as u send it some time.

My 2 cents, act with your own judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not just a question of saving

as i see it, you are saving a mere $40 (cost of renewal of PP). What happens if your PP expires and you don't have your new US PP and there is a family emergency that requires for you to travel to India? Remember, we don't plan emergencies - they happen.

My PP is expiring in May and I got a new one!

The question of saving would arise only if you are eligible to use the renewed passport. After the passport, it is illegal to travel with your old passport unless your old country allow dual citizenship, which is fine in most cases. What the original poster needs to find out is whether his/her country of origin allows dual citizenship. Otherwise, renewing the passport is total useless.

My passport expired early this year. I have my naturalization interview in October do I need to renew. I have no reasons to travel outside the USA

Expired passport?

Hi

I have my citizenship interview in a few weeks, and I was wondering if I need to bring my expired passport as well as the one that is valid and I'm using right now?

The other one expired in 2006, and I got a new one shortly after. Do I need to bring both? It'd save me a lot of trouble if I didn't have to...

Thank you!

I brought my current as well as all my expired passports. I only had to show my current passport as they IO wanted to make sure the name on my passport matched the one in my birth certificate. I think you'll be just fine with your current passport. This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Thank you!

Thanks!

Another question...I did register with the Selective Service, but the card is somewhat inaccessible...is there any other kind of proof of registration that i can bring?

Thanks!

Another question...I did register with the Selective Service, but the card is somewhat inaccessible...is there any other kind of proof of registration that i can bring?

Print out the status check result page from the SSS.gov website and bring it with you. If that's not sufficient, the IO can check your status from his/her own computer.