Name Interchange on I-485

hasjun

I have a pending 485 for the last 3 years with NSC.
I have been in US since 1997. I always had used my first name on the passport as my last name on all immigration forms in US and my surname on passport as my first name.
I had done the same on my 485 application.
I had 3 FP, 2 of them were taken with the name on my 485 application and one with the name as on my passort (in chicago office as I had since moved to Chicago). Everytime I had my FP, my name issue came up.

I would like to correct my name with USCIS as it is on my passport to avoid all these hassles. Did anyone ever had the same experience and know how to correct the name on a pending 485?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have been in US since 1997. I always had used my first name on the passport as my last name on all immigration forms in US and my surname on passport as my first name.
I had 3 FP, 2 of them were taken with the name on my 485 application and one with the name as on my passort (in chicago office as I had since moved to Chicago). Everytime I had my FP, my name issue came up.

I would like to correct my name with USCIS as it is on my passport to avoid all these hassles. Did anyone ever had the same experience and know how to correct the name on a pending 485?

If your name on passport is:
RAM KUMAR SHARMA
Then your first name is: RAM
Middle name is: KUMAR
Last name/surname is: SHARMA

On Your I-485 form it should be: SHARMA K RAM

What is your problem?
what is on passport and what is on form I-485
what is on I-485 filing reciept?
what is on EAD (if you have)
what is on your DL?

I have more or less similar situation. My kids do not have may family name in their passports, Visa forms, I-94s ....even in their birth certificates. I called my embassy in DC and told them I want to include my family name as their last name. The embassy asked me to send their and my birth certificates along with the passports and they wrote their new names in separate page of the passport. I applied recently to them on I-485 with the new name, not in single piece of paper in US, with a cover letter and discussed the situation to the USCIS. The I-485 receipt came with the new name including my family name.
I think you can do something like that, send a letter with a copy of the receipt(s) or documents containing the name by the way you want it to be and they will grant that mostly. any future application with the USCIS they will ask you about any other names used, just metion the other way they wrote your name as an alternative name used before.

Thank you for replying gurus.

My name on passport is
Surname - Chandramowli
Given Name - Venkatesan

My name on I-485 application
Last Name- Venkatesan
First Name - Chandramowli

The reason for this was when my first H1 was filed, the company took my name literally from my education certificates where my name is written as 'Chandramowli Venkatesan'. My father name is 'Chandramowli Ashok' and hence the surname on passport is Chandramowli.

This has created problem during fingerprinting and I had 2 fingerprints taken at 2 different times in 2 different locations (as I moved subsequently). One of the location took the fingerprint on the same name as on my I-485 application and other other one took it as it is on my passport. Both times I had to go through lot of trouble.

I am worried that come approval time, I will have issues.
Any suggestions?

Thank you for replying gurus.

My name on passport is
Surname - Chandramowli
Given Name - Venkatesan

My name on I-485 application
Last Name- Venkatesan
First Name - Chandramowli

The reason for this was when my first H1 was filed, the company took my name literally from my education certificates where my name is written as 'Chandramowli Venkatesan'. My father name is 'Chandramowli Ashok' and hence the surname on passport is Chandramowli.

This has created problem during fingerprinting and I had 2 fingerprints taken at 2 different times in 2 different locations (as I moved subsequently). One of the location took the fingerprint on the same name as on my I-485 application and other other one took it as it is on my passport. Both times I had to go through lot of trouble.

I am worried that come approval time, I will have issues.
Any suggestions?

Hi

I had similar problems. The first and last names were interchanged and was questioned during finger printing. But the mistake was in my passport, so I corrected it at the embassy in DC just sending few copies of certificates. I beleive your problem is it is wrong in I-485. I think you should make all your records based on passport. There is way for doing that, serach this forum, I read it somewhere when I had this issue. They will correct it in all immi documents.