Name checks now taking around 6-8 months!

AlIndori

Registered Users (C)
Based on latest trends it looks like name checks are taking around 6 - 8 months at minimum. Two friends of mine were told the same thing at Charlotte,NC. Charlotte,NC also seems to be having issues with backlogs. They expect to take 9-10months to schedule an interview from FP,:mad:

Is that an official news or just your experience?
I am wonder if they are doing something to breake this backlog?

anyone has an official report of this?

Thanks

Based on latest trends it looks like name checks are taking around 6 - 8 months at minimum. Two friends of mine were told the same thing at Charlotte,NC. Charlotte,NC also seems to be having issues with backlogs. They expect to take 9-10months to schedule an interview from FP,:mad:

It may be taking 9-10 months to get to interview, but the extra delay isn't likely to be just as a result of namecheck. The bulk of applicants still get processed through the automated FBI namecheck system (which only takes a day or two to turn around), however their cases are still delayed due to the sheer backlog of paperwork at the service centers.

It may be taking 9-10 months to get to interview, but the extra delay isn't likely to be just as a result of namecheck. The bulk of applicants still get processed through the automated FBI namecheck system (which only takes a day or two to turn around), however their cases are still delayed due to the sheer backlog of paperwork at the service centers.

Hi, Boat,
I wonder if this information is time and/or region-specific? A couple of my friends started application earlier this year in NY area (VSC), all got through the process fairly quickly, took them about 3-4 months from app sent to interview finished. They both waited only a couple of month between fp and Il. But that was before July 2007. Seems to me the process got much slower after the fee hike. Or my friends were just the lucky ones?

I also wonder if the length of name check process has anything to do with gender, ethnic background, or original country of citizenship? I'm not suggesting racial profiling here. Just wondering.

IMHO, applicant's country of origin is playing a big role in regards to name check. I think it should be fairly easy unless you are from Middle East, Russia or have a common name which has a possibility to match with others in the system. Thats my opinion.

IMHO, applicant's country of origin is playing a big role in regards to name check. I think it should be fairly easy unless you are from Middle East, Russia or have a common name which has a possibility to match with others in the system. Thats my opinion.

I've heard about Russian and Eastern European applicants encountering problems with name check. Since Russia is not considered a terrorist nation, I wonder if it's because of sentiments left over from the Cold War?

Its more than that :) But anyway, i consider myself lucky in that department and hoping to get my citizenship by the end of 2008! Really hoping so!! lol

Its more than that :) But anyway, i consider myself lucky in that department and hoping to get my citizenship by the end of 2008! Really hoping so!! lol

I'm Russian, so I'm really hoping I don't get stuck in name check! A friend of mine (also of Russian origin) had her FP appointment about a year ago, along with the rest of her family (parents and sister). Everyone besides her has already done their oaths, and she hasn't even had her interview yet. I'm hoping that the fact that I was 11 when I came here and have never traveled back to Russia since then will help. My name is also not a very common one, but I can't help but worry about the dreaded name check! :rolleyes:

It wasn't exactly an encouragement, but point well made nonetheless. Naturalization is a benefit, not a right. It SHOULD be a right, considering that we've paid taxes and made concerted efforts to assimilate and be productive members of society, but it's still ultimately up to the government whether or not to let us become citizens. C'est la vie!

My intention was neither to encourage or discourage Proudpal. I personally never got frustated by USCIS (and CIC previously) by following a simple mantra. Convince yourself that benefits have no SLAs :)

That was an encouragement.

Last edited by a moderator: