Name check pending for 22 months!

need local attorney

as I heard from this forum, most writ of mandamus needs 2-3 times of hearing/disposition etc. Hopefully no tries. Out-of-state attorney can file, and someone agree to file for 2500 or so, but he asks local attorney responsible for all court appearance, which will be expensive as well.

i am stuck in name check as well since Nov 2003. i am from china. but i don't think chinese government has anything to do with this. i have seen indian, pakistan and people from other country got stuck for very long time too. maybe just a few countries.... ??

China may not shown on the list, but still...

belle said:
i am stuck in name check as well since Nov 2003. i am from china. but i don't think chinese government has anything to do with this. i have seen indian, pakistan and people from other country got stuck for very long time too. maybe just a few countries.... ??

I have seen something in written that applicants from the 25 Arab and Muslim countries and North Korea will require extra FBI scrutiny. China is NOT among these countries, but that did not help us at all. I guess they (FBI, or US government in general) are hostile to China, and view China as their enemy rather than allies. This perception is widely adopted in about 50% of Americans, including my next door neighbors. :mad:

If you don't believe it, compare how difficult to get US visas from China. ON top of that, the validality is only 6 months (until recently to 1 year), compared to Indians who can get 5 year (?) multiple-entrance visa.

I have a dream that one day China will be so rich and strong, that many Americans will rush to China for immigration! And I will ask my great ... grandson to be extra tough on them, if I can live to see that day happening, haha. :)

Initiated Senator Enquiry

and got a different message then what INS told me
INS told me that case is pending security check.
They wrote to senator and said that case was overlooked during a computer sweep of adjudication ready cases.and has now been placed in "expediate Crate" whatever that means.go figure
anyway, they asked the senators office to check back in 30 days ...i am eb 3 so there will be no visas available :(
Lets see

Got the email from FBI - Stuck like others

My case:

I-485 RD 08/06/03

Here is FBI's response:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am responding to your email dated January 17, 2005, concerning your
name check status for immigration purposes.

A review of the FBI's Name Check Program database revealed that a
request from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for you was
received on March 8, 2004, and is currently in a pending status. You may be
assured that the immigration authorities will be notified at the
earliest possible date upon completion of this case.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Cannon/gmg
Chief, National Name Check
Program Section
Records Management Division

Does anyone knows postel address of this National Name check program center ?

Thanks,

RamFan

RamFan said:
My case:

Thanks,

RamFan
I think they are located in the FBI building in DC. You should be able to get this building's address from www.fbi.gov

dima66a said:
my name check was pending for 2 years 5 months and 25 days (29.8333 months or 907 days)

can anyone beat my record?

I know of a person whose spouse has already naturalized. He's still in security check.

tireofwaiting said:
My understanding is that writ of Mandamus should be filed against USCIS, not FBI. DOes anybody know we can file writ of Mandamus against FBI? Apparently they are using security as an excuse to make us suffer. This is the worst efficiency in the world. I agree the idea that we can write to the media. How many 3 years we have in our life? FBI destroy our life! They can stop any people in the street and there is no way to prove he/she is good or bad people. I am losing my faith in the government.

Thanks

I understand your pain, but I think there're very good reasons why it takes this long. China is a big country with huge population. On top of that some names are very common - that's what Wikipedia writes:

Although there are thousands of Chinese family names, The 100 most common surnames, which together make up less than 5% of those in existence, are shared by 85% of the population. The three most common surnames in Mainland China are Li, Wang and Zhang, which make up 7.9%, 7.4% and 7.1% respectively. Together they number close to 300 million and are easily the most popular surnames in the world.

Then the spelling, - for every Chinese family name there's more than one spelling - so the size of the check can easily triple here, depending on how many alternative spellings are entered into a database. That's a lot of checking to do and there're going to be hits - illegal aliens, criminals. I imagine those have to be checked manually. So why do you think namecheck for someone named Zhang should take the same amount of time as for me (I've never met a person with the same last name as mine)?

lamonte said:
Then the spelling, - for every Chinese family name there's more than one spelling - so the size of the check can easily triple here, depending on how many alternative spellings are entered into a database. That's a lot of checking to do and there're going to be hits - illegal aliens, criminals. I imagine those have to be checked manually. So why do you think namecheck for someone named Zhang should take the same amount of time as for me (I've never met a person with the same last name as mine)?
Another seemingly sound execuse. My wife and I both have the same last name, and my first name (2 characters) is very unqiue, while hers is very common (1-char, common name for girls :) ). While her name got cleared, mine is still pending.

The root reason for the delay? Males from potentially threatening countries (like China).

Last edited by a moderator:
Write to Hardy

RamFan said:
My case:

I-485 RD 08/06/03

Here is FBI's response:
I am responding to your email dated January 17, 2005, concerning your
name check status for immigration purposes.

A review of the FBI's Name Check Program database revealed that a
request from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for you was
received on March 8, 2004, and is currently in a pending status. You may be
assured that the immigration authorities will be notified at the
earliest possible date upon completion of this case.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Cannon/gmg
Chief, National Name Check
Program Section

Thanks,

RamFan
YOu can write to David M. Hardy:
David M. Hardy, Chief
Record/Information Dissemination Section
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535
Fax: 202-324-3752

Is the chief changed?

It used to be David Hardy, now it is Michael A. Cannon. Does this mean the Chief, National Name Check
Program Section

Has been changed from David to Michael?

by the way, thanks for the kind post, in my opinion, it is a matter of working efficiency, not only because too Chinese people have common family. We are physical living here, they have our address, phone number etc. Also they know we are innocent people. otherwise they would talk to us. The bad guys are trying to hide themself.

Well, nothing to say. Uncle Sam will not listen.

thanks

Changed?

It used to be David Hardy, now it is Michael A. Cannon. Does this mean the Chief, National Name Check
Program Section

usrfdluj said:
YOu can write to David M. Hardy:
David M. Hardy, Chief
Record/Information Dissemination Section
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535
Fax: 202-324-3752

Program Section

lamonte said:
I know of a person whose spouse has already naturalized. He's still in security check.

lamonte,

that doesn't mean that he/she has beaten my record. He/she may be waiting name check for naturalization (not for I485 as I did). can you ask them how long it is since name check was initiated?

not sure, but what's the difference?

RamFan said:
Guys,

Who is it ? I mean the right person to contact...

Thanks,

RamFan
I searched FBI web site, did not find any information useful. Not sure who is the right person to contact, but I would write to them anyway, what's the difference? It's not a personal letter, and they will not open/read your letter in person, but a low-level staff...

So go right ahead.

Anyone knows someone in Chinese Embassy/Consulate in US?

Anyone knows someone in Chinese Embassy/Consulate in US?

I read from another post that way FBI check your criminal record with your home country is through the embassy in the US, AND, FBI will wait as long as it takes to get response from them.

I wonder if anyone who knows someone in Chinese Embassy/Consulate to confirm this. :confused: :confused:

I need to get started

Guys,

I can't take this anymore. FBI is sitting on my name check since March 2004. I am ready to file FOIPA request. Once I get that from FBI, I will start working on my next request.

I already know that FBI's - CJIS division has cleared my fingerprints in June 2004.

I at least would like to know why they are waiting for last 16 months to clear my name check. I am only guilty of having a common Indian name (not a Muslim name - no offense).

My fortune 100 company would not do diddle squat to help me out in this situation. I am lossing my sleep over this. I just don’t know about my future in this country after living here for 8 yrs.

Good luck to all.

Ramfan

RamFan, hang in there. I am pretty much in the same situation as yours. I had even tougher one when I was waiting for the approval of my I140. While almost all the people I knew got their approvals within 3 months, I had to wait for more than a year. Now we are very close, just maintain a little patient.

IBelieve - Thanks

IBelieve,

Thank you for your kind words.

Are you also stuck due to pending name check ?

I got my III EAD and AP approved few months ago. I would not be surprised if my company will have to file 4th EAD and AP next year.

My company is ready to pay 1000's of $$ to these big no good law firms to keep filing for EAD's and AP's, but unable to send something to FBI to clear my name check. I am not sure if someone is looking at cost/benefit ratio on this whole process.

I know more about this process now then these stupid lawyers. Seriously, I had to educate my HR and law firm secretary on these issues. I guess they all are scared of big bad FBI.

Anyway, Take care and good luck with your case.

Ramfan