name change?

jasonb

Registered Users (C)
All,
Any idea how to do a name change? My next step is Oath. passed the interview yesterday.

Someone from this forum suggested a while back that the best thing was to do it after interview or even after Oath. Anyone recall? I just want to get the passport with the updated name (a switch between first and middle name).

Helps or pointers will be appreciated.

jasonb

I think you're going to have to provide a little more background. I think there are two ways to change name. One through the N-400 application which I guess you haven't done because your district office doesn't support this. The other is judicial, but I guess it is not going to be that quick. I don't know about the after the interview. At this point it seems your certificate is going to be issued with your current name, isn't it? I guess what you could do is start applying for the name change now. However, I have no idea how to do that :)

Hi I did my name change during naturalization process.

I participated in another thread a while ago, where someone had suggested name change after naturalization. I don't think the suggestion is quite accurate, under usual circumstances. Here is what I gather:

Name change is a legal process and only a court can do so. No other organization, including USCIS, can do that. During naturalization process, USCIS provides you the service of mediating name change, so that your certificate will bear the new name. This service is free (similar case for name change during marriage) and a lot lot easy.

If you miss that, or prefer not to, then you have to do so on your own, by requesting a court. I believe this is a lengthy process, involves some cost also. During Naturalization process, you have till the time of interview to request a name change. After that its too late to do so using USCIS.

If you wanted to change name, but decided to wait per some post in this forum, you have been misinformed. (Unless you marry) You have missed a good opportunity to do this the easy way.

ok, so it looks like i missed the boat. The easy boat, that is.

So, what should I do now? I want the passport with the new name.

jasonb,

I think I asked you on a different thread where did you have your interview? If it was in San Jose, they don't do name changes in San Jose :( so you haven't missed anything. For offices that do judicial naturalizations it is the easier way to do a name change and your naturalization certificate is issued under the new name. For offices that don't do judicial naturalizations I guess I would have changed my name before naturalization. That's my take. By the way, where did you have your interview?

Never mind, I think I found out. San Francisco. I don't think San Francisco does name changes.

Very easy. Just Fill out an application to the county court with a Fees. The local judge with approve the request and once it is recorded, you take that name request court order along with your naturalization certificate to the passport office. They will do the name change for you. Not that complicated but it just adds a bit of cost ( in WA, it is 140 dollars)

Hypothetically speaking. I don't know if you get the court name change done quickly enough if you could schedule an Infopass and ask USCIS to issue the certificate under the new name. Probably not easy. I don't think I've heard of anyone trying. Otherwise do as SunnyJ says, do the court name change and obtain your passport with the certificate and the court papers. I don't have any idea how long it takes to change name.

Name Change

---
Does any one know for sure that San Francisco DO does not offer name change anymore?

Jasonb
did you had opportunity during interview to discuss on name change?

Thanks

You can apply for name change with local federal court after oath. Once your name change goes through you'll be able to apply for US passport by inculding court name change document and naturalization certificate (with old name).

Your next step would be to contact the federal court in your area to determine how to submit a name change request.

If your USCIS district has judicial ceremonies, make an INFOPASS appointment immediately to speak with an immigration officer. Ask if you still can do a name change as part of the oath process. As your interview took place only two days ago, they should still be able to help you (I think).

Good luck.

To thankful,
How do I find out if the San Francisco DO has judicial ceremonies?

cheers,
jasonb

To Bobsmyth,
Federal court? I thought that name change must be handled by court in county where you presently live.

I just did some google search. The Alameda County (where I live) charges $320 to file a petition for name change. darn, quite expensive.

Jason,

I think you are messing with a can of worms here. Since you did not select the name change option on the original application, if I were you, I would let everything process through as it is.

When you get your Naturalization certificate in your current name go to your local County Court and apply for a name change. When that comes through take that and the Naturalization certificate to the Post Office or Passport Office if you live near one and apply for the passport in the new name.

Trying to squeeze it into the USCIS system at this stage is fraught with manufacturing delays in my humble opinion. The passport will be issued with the new name and the only thing with the old name will be the Naturalization Certificate and that will not be seen all that often.

I have dealt with Government departments most of my life and I can assure you that things out of the main and easy flow get shuffled sideways all the time.

Hypothetically speaking. I don't know if you get the court name change done quickly enough if you could schedule an Infopass and ask USCIS to issue the certificate under the new name. Probably not easy.
It would be a bad, bad idea to do the name change via a separate court process between the interview and oath. If you inform USCIS of that independent name change, they would have to run another name check and delay the oath. If you don't inform USCIS of it, the natz certificate will have your old name, and the name change document will be dated before the naturalization certificate, so you can't use the name change document to get a passport in your new name.

Either get USCIS itself to incorporate the name change into the natz process, or wait until after the oath to do it via a separate court process.

Huracan, I have to challenge you on this one.

Name change is a service provided by USCIS. I dont believe it process varies with jurisdictions. If the office is not equipped to do name change during oath, my guess is, oath will be rescheduled at a location where it will be. Same is the case, if petitioner doesnt agree with the standard oath text and need a modified one.

An individual immigration officer, might advise you (not that he should) to not to change your name, that way he doesnt have to do the little extra work, at his discretion. But, name change is an entitlement and not discretionary. Certainly not at the discretion of the office.

I am not sure if SFO location, can or not offer name change as part of oath ceremony. But, IMO, they cant tell you that you cant change name as part of Naturalization process. They or the petitioner have to find out how to get the petitioner's entitlement.

Can someone else clarify this? Any one in SFO, who changed names thru Naturalization...?

Here is another similar thread for reference...

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=284996

jasonb,

I think I asked you on a different thread where did you have your interview? If it was in San Jose, they don't do name changes in San Jose :( so you haven't missed anything. For offices that do judicial naturalizations it is the easier way to do a name change and your naturalization certificate is issued under the new name. For offices that don't do judicial naturalizations I guess I would have changed my name before naturalization. That's my take. By the way, where did you have your interview?

Never mind, I think I found out. San Francisco. I don't think San Francisco does name changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. This seem to be the right thing to do, since the alternative suggestions seem experimental and not-often heard of.

Unless you are John Scopes or Rosa Parks, I suggest, just keep it simple.

:)

Jason,

I think you are messing with a can of worms here. Since you did not select the name change option on the original application, if I were you, I would let everything process through as it is.

When you get your Naturalization certificate in your current name go to your local County Court and apply for a name change. When that comes through take that and the Naturalization certificate to the Post Office or Passport Office if you live near one and apply for the passport in the new name.

Trying to squeeze it into the USCIS system at this stage is fraught with manufacturing delays in my humble opinion. The passport will be issued with the new name and the only thing with the old name will be the Naturalization Certificate and that will not be seen all that often.

I have dealt with Government departments most of my life and I can assure you that things out of the main and easy flow get shuffled sideways all the time.