• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

NA3 Status to getting Green Card

Anyone has any similar experience recently? Please share your outcome... did your child green card actually arrive without filing form I-90?
Hope You solved the problem. My story: I waited, then I stated calling them, it required me to get to USCIS 2-nd tier call line. Then they told me that this stamp is just a temporary thing and I will need to follow whole immigration procedure for my child: File I-130, File I-485.
I am doing that right now. And i am worried about this stamp will likely expire before child gets approved his full green card.

Hope You solved the problem. My story: I waited, then I stated calling them, it required me to get to USCIS 2-nd tier call line. Then they told me that this stamp is just a temporary thing and I will need to follow whole immigration procedure for my child: File I-130, File I-485.
I am doing that right now. And i am worried about this stamp will likely expire before child gets approved his full green card.
That doesn't make sense. Your child is already a permanent resident. A permanent resident is not eligible for Adjustment of Status (I-485). The stamp is temporary, but the stamp is proof of permanent status.

This is what i got from Tier-2 support at USCIS call-center.
Otherwise there is just no case and no progress for him and his 551 is temporary.
Yes he technically already has a visa number but not full green card.
Yes the stamp allows him to travel. and we left US and returned with it with no problem.

Otherwise there is just no case and no progress for him and his 551 is temporary.
Yes the stamp allows him to travel. and we left US and returned with it with no problem.

if he has a 551 and an alien number he is already a LPR. Newacct is correct, you don’t need to petition or file ajdustment.

this is what is supposed to happen:
Section 14.5 of the Inspector's Field Manual (IFM) explains that a child born abroad of an LPR who is admitted to the United States for the first time will be admitted in class NA3. Upon admission at a port of entry, the child's passport will be stamped “temporary I-551,” and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port of entry will complete and issue a Form I-181, Memorandum of Creation of Record of Lawful Permanent Residence. CBP officials at the port of entry will submit the Form I-181, Form I-89 (biometric information), and a copy of the child's birth certificate to USCIS so that a Form I-551 for the child may be produced.

i‘m not sure how long you have waited but imo when you call USCIS you should be asking if the i181 is on record for your kid and if it isn’t, then you should file an i90 to get a plastic geeen card. NotI130 or 485. Sounds like you reached one of the tier 1s who does give out mistaken information, it happens from time to time.

Your son may currently have the I551 temporary stamp, that doesn’t mean he has a temporary LPR status. He just doesn’t have the plastic GC, that’s all. You shouldn’t be filing an I-130/I-485, you were misinformed by whoever you spoke on the phone.

Well thank you all for such timely replies on this matter. I contacted USCIS again and they confirmed what you just said. That child is LPR and none of these forms are nessesary. And that I indeed was misinformed last time I called them.
What they were not able to tell me is why he still did not get his permanent card and they advised me to go to CBP Deffered Inspection.
Anyways that just saved me i-485 filing fee. I guess i wont be able to get my i-130 filing fee back though.
p.s. I asked them about 181 but they said they do not have any case for the child. Obviously they have all his information in database, so looks like they got some information but never got to actually issuing the card.

Last edited:
So almost One year later:
I followed with CBP, they told me everything has been done on their side.
I went ahead and filed a i-90, stating green card was never recieved and after a almost year of wait I got that I-90 denied, stating
USCIS records indicate that USCIS has not received your completed U.S. Department of State Visa package. In order to produce your Permanent Resident Card, USCIS requires a completed visa package. Processing of your visa package by USCIS will result in the issuance of your Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card.
They did get me to the biometric appointment though.
So now I am again at loss what to do. Should I still go and file full I-485? Should I file Form I-290B Notice of Appeal or Motion?

@newacct Any thoughts on the delay of 4 months after the I-551 stamp? Do you think it is time to worry or is this somewhat normal these days? And any comments on the information non-availability on USCIS call center systems? Is it a different system altogether? That is, do you know whether Infopass guys have access to some information to which call center guys do not have access?

Thanks in advance!
My daughters GC is also delayed for 4 months. NA3 visa
And CBP did not give us any paper other than a stamp in passport. I dont even have her A number. So what happened to you?

Hi
Lucky Person - Did you get your issue resolved. I am in the same boat as your are. Our baby got the I551 stamp but CBP did not provide A#. SS office wont issue SSN without A#.
I went to USCIS after taking an appointment and they said they cant find anything about the baby in their system. Not sure what to do.

Hi, what happened finally to your case?

Hello, everyone! I would like to share my experience regarding green card for a child under 2 years old. We arrived to the US on June 29th 2021. The officer at the port of entry filled in necessary docs for a child, got the original certificate of birth and put 2 stamps in the passport - admitted and I551. Then told us to contact Uscis regarding next steps and if we need birth certificate back to apply for it (uscis return it). We contacted uscis 3 days later, but they couldnt find any information regarding a child. So they created the request for call back to high authority (Pier 2). Waiting time for this call is 30 calendar days now due to pandemic. On July 30th 2021 I have got a call with information that green card is issued and we were provided the receipt number. No payment or any docs filling have been required! On August 4th 2021 we have got by mail a green card for a child. It has the same number as at the stamp in the passport, the category is NA3. Good luck everyone!

My son travel back to seattle in NA3 status, we received I181 form but no signature on it, no I551 stamp on passport, CBP even forget to generate the A#, we went cbp deferred inspection office to made correction 3 month later and get the A#. we wait over 1 year but not receive our GC. filed I90 and went USCIS, the immigrant office could not see anything in their system. contact one supervisor in CBP who is on her last day and promised to call us and help us make correction, but nothing happen. Shitty CBP. the Uscis immigrant officer could not give us I551 stamp. as our info not show up. and also mentioned the I90 will not help, as it is used to replace card not create. our i90 is stucked in biometrics stage over 6month, wonder why it take so long! dose baby need biometrics? we also contacted CBP again and again, they just ask us wait for at least 2 years.

our friends who has na3 baby come back to us 8 month later than us , just get their GC in 3weeks. US immigration is hopeless.

wonder if anyone is seattle had similiar situation and can offer some help.

We also blocked to spply SSN, WTF

So almost One year later:
I followed with CBP, they told me everything has been done on their side.
I went ahead and filed a i-90, stating green card was never recieved and after a almost year of wait I got that I-90 denied, stating

They did get me to the biometric appointment though.
So now I am again at loss what to do. Should I still go and file full I-485? Should I file Form I-290B Notice of Appeal or Motion?
how long take u to biometrics appointment after filing I90?