N400 November DO: Los Angeles Timeline Tracker

Finally became US CITIZEN today. My Long Immigration journey is over. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR GREAT ADVICE AND SUPPORT IN THIS FORUM. :)

Quick question regarding application for passport?

Do we have to give the original Naturalization Certificate to the passport agency? Please advice.

Below is my timeline.

DO: Los Angeles, CA
11/19/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ
11/20/12: N-400 delivered (Day 1)
11/23/12: NOA received on 11/28/12 (Accepted and Initial Review)
11/29/12: Per website, FP notice mailed (Day 10)
12/03/12: FB notice recd ( scheduled on 12/12/12) (Day 14)
12/05/12: FP done (Walk-in) (Day 16)
12/07/12: In-line for Interview Scheduling (Day 18)
01/16/13: Yellow letter received dated 01/12/13. Request additional docs during interview -DL (Day 58)
03/01/13: Interview scheduled (Day 102)
03/07/13: IL Recvd. ( Day 108)
04/08/13: Interview Date (Recommended for Approval)(Day 140)
04/11/13: Oath scheduling que (Day 143)
04/23/13: Oath Ceremony scheduled(Online notification) (Day 155)
04/27/13: Oath Letter received (Day 159)
05/23/13: Oath Ceremony "US Citizen" - May 23, 2013 - Los Angeles Convention Center
XX/XX/13: Applied for Passport
XX/XX/13: Received Passport

Yes, you need to submit the original Naturalization Certificate together with the application. Also, please make a copy of your driver license. The Post Office is charging me $0.50 for the copy of my Driver License since I didnt make a copy. Also, please pay by CHECK (p/s: bring your check to Post Office). Dont pay using Money Order even if the Post Office asked you. There is surcharge (i.e. commission paid to Post office) if you use Money order. I was being duped by the Post office to pay using Money order. If you pay by the CHECK, you can trace when the payment has been cleared.

The processing time for Regular Vs Expedited is about one week difference. No point getting an expedited passport processing.

The Original Naturalization Certificate will be mailed to you SEPARATELY, normally within 3 days after you have received your passport.

Please refer to my timeline. (Note: I requested "regular" processing plus "Overnight delivery". The Overnight Delivery is only applicable to mail out your passport, not the Original Naturalization Certificate. It costs $12.88- I think for the Overnight Delivery.)

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you need to submit the original Naturalization Certificate together with the application. Also, please make a copy of your driver license. The Post Office is charging me $0.50 for the copy of my Driver License since I didnt make a copy. Also, please pay by CHECK (p/s: bring your check to Post Office). Dont pay using Money Order even if the Post Office asked you. There is surcharge (i.e. commission paid to Post office) if you use Money order. I was being duped by the Post office to pay using Money order. If you pay by the CHECK, you can trace when the payment has been cleared.

The processing time for Regular Vs Expedited is about one week difference. No point getting an expedited passport processing.

The Original Naturalization Certificate will be mailed to you SEPARATELY, normally within 3 days after you have received your passport.

Please refer to my timeline. (Note: I requested "regular" processing plus "Overnight delivery". The Overnight Delivery is only applicable to mail out your passport, not the Original Naturalization Certificate. It costs $12.88- I think for the Overnight Delivery.)

Good luck!

If you requested a name change do you have to get a new driver license before apply a passport? or can you just go to US Postal Office with Naturalization certificate and driver license (with old name on it) and apply for US Passport?

If you requested a name change do you have to get a new driver license before apply a passport? or can you just go to US Postal Office with Naturalization certificate and driver license (with old name on it) and apply for US Passport?

YOU CAN ONLY UPDATE YOUR NEW NAME WITH DMV AFTER YOU HAVE UPDATED YOUR NEW NAME WITH SSA OFFICE.

I did change my name during naturalization. During the Oath Ceremony, we were told to wait for one month after the Oath Ceremony to go to SSA office to update our status or change our names.

I applied for Passport 1st after the Oath. When I got back the Naturalization Certificate plus Name Change petition, I went to SSA office to update my new name. It takes 5 business days for you to receive new SSN card with new name.

After that, I went to DMV office to change my name- I need to pay the same amount of money to renew my license and got my picture taken plus New signature on your Driver License. Both the SSA and DMV officers will ask for your Naturalization Certificate and Name Change petition. Please make sure you check your new name, ESPECIALLY, if you have new MIDDLE NAME, before you leave the counter.

Here is my timeline for updating SSN and Driver license:

4/16/13: Oath Ceremony-LACC
4/18/13: PP (regular)
5/6/13: PP recvd
5/9/13: Nat' Cert recvd
5/10/13 : SSA -update new name and status
5/17/13 : received new SSN card with new name
5/20/13 : DMV-update new name and took new picture
5/25/13: Received new Driver License with new name and new picture + new signature-LOL

YOU CAN ONLY UPDATE YOUR NEW NAME WITH DMV AFTER YOU HAVE UPDATED YOUR NEW NAME WITH SSN OFFICE.

I did change my name during naturalization. During the Oath Ceremony, we were told to wait for one month after the Oath Ceremony to go to SSN to update our status or change our names.

I applied for Passport 1st after the Oath. When I got back the Naturalization Certificate plus Name Change petition, I went to SSN office to update my new name. It takes 5 business days for you to receive new SSN card with new name.

After that, I went to DMV office to change my name- I need to pay the same amount of money to renew my license and got my picture taken plus New signature on your Driver License. Both the SSN and DMV officers will ask for your Naturalization Certificate and Name Change petition. Please make sure you check your new name, ESPECIALLY, if you have new MIDDLE NAME, before you leave the counter.

Here is my timeline for updating SSN and Driver license:

4/16/13: Oath Ceremony-LACC
4/18/13: PP (regular)
5/6/13: PP recvd
5/9/13: Nat' Cert recvd
5/10/13 : SSN -update new name and status
5/17/13 : received new SSN card with new name
5/20/13 : DMV-update new name and took new picture
5/25/13: Received new Driver License with new name and new picture + new signature-LOL

Thank you for detailed information, this will help a lot.
Another question, is it okay to keep current (old)non-expired driver license until it expires with new driver license? In case if one stupid office/branch doesnt recognize name change certificate or anything then we can at least do the process with old -non-expired driver license?

Thank you for detailed information, this will help a lot.
Another question, is it okay to keep current (old)non-expired driver license until it expires with new driver license? In case if one stupid office/branch doesnt recognize name change certificate or anything then we can at least do the process with old -non-expired driver license?

It's upto you whether you want to wait until your old (current) driver license expires before you update new name with DMV.

But it is important to get a new updated Driver License - 'coz all credit card companies, banks require the ID before they allow you to change the name on your credit cards, debit cards and bank accounts, unless you want to send them your new SSN card and/or US Passport with new name.

From my experience, I am sure most SSA and DMV officers are well competent 'coz I have never encountered such problems updating my name with SSN and DMV office.

My advice is to get it done ASAP 'coz you still need to change the name with your banks, credit card companies. And most of the banks and credit card companies will request either :1) new Driver License, 2), new SSN card, OR, 3) US passport. I am not sure whether you will be willing to send them your new SSN card or US passport to change your name with Banks or Credit Card companies.

Good luck!

It's upto you whether you want to wait until your old (current) driver license expires before you update new name with DMV.

But it is important to get a new updated Driver License - 'coz all credit card companies, banks require the ID before they allow you to change the name on your credit cards, debit cards and bank accounts, unless you want to send them your new SSN card and/or US Passport with new name.

From my experience, I am sure most SSN and DMV officers are well competent 'coz I have never encountered such problems updating my name with SSN and DMV office.

My advice is to get it done ASAP 'coz you still need to change the name with your banks, credit card companies. And most of the banks and credit card companies will request either :1) new Driver License, 2), new SSN card, OR, 3) US passport. I am not sure whether you will be willing to send them your new SSN card or US passport to change your name with Banks or Credit Card companies.

Good luck!

Okay, so I dont have to return my non-expired driver license back to DVR like how we dont return expired IDs.
My strategy is going to be like this then;
1- Get the naturalization certificate hopefully on June 26th
2- Apply for a passport
3- Go to SSA when I get back my naturalization certificate from passport office or US Postal Service.
4- Go to DMV when have new SSN card on my hand.

Is that correct?

Okay, so I dont have to return my non-expired driver license back to DVR like how we dont return expired IDs.
My strategy is going to be like this then;
1- Get the naturalization certificate hopefully on June 26th
2- Apply for a passport
3- Go to SSA when I get back my naturalization certificate from passport office or US Postal Service.
4- Go to DMV when have new SSN card on my hand.

Is that correct?

Yes, that's what i did. One more thing - once you applied for updated DL, the DMV officer will punch a hole into your old (current) DL and will issue an interim Driver License (valid for 90days). You can no longer use your old DL (with old name).
I received my new DL after 5 business days.

You can check the CA DMV website on how to change name :http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two504

It states "Please contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to change your name on SSA records before you make an appointment with DMV to have your name changed on DMV records. DMV electronically verifies your name, birth date and social security number with the SSA."

You need to bring all related documents - Naturalization Certificate, Name Change petition to DMV too.

Good luck!

Finally I received my US Passport today. Below is my timeline.

DO: Los Angeles, CA
11/19/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ
11/20/12: N-400 delivered (Day 1)
11/23/12: NOA received on 11/28/12 (Accepted and Initial Review)
11/29/12: Per website, FP notice mailed (Day 10)
12/03/12: FB notice recd ( scheduled on 12/12/12) (Day 14)
12/05/12: FP done (Walk-in) (Day 16)
12/07/12: In-line for Interview Scheduling (Day 18)
01/16/13: Yellow letter received dated 01/12/13. Request additional docs during interview -DL (Day 58)
03/01/13: Interview scheduled (Day 102)
03/07/13: IL Recvd. ( Day 108)
04/08/13: Interview Date (Recommended for Approval)(Day 140)
04/11/13: Oath scheduling que (Day 143)
04/23/13: Oath Ceremony scheduled(Online notification) (Day 155)
04/27/13: Oath Letter received (Day 159)
05/23/13: Oath Ceremony "US Citizen" - May 23, 2013 - Los Angeles Convention Center
05/24/13: Applied for Passport - Expedited service
06/04/13: Received Passport

Can you please share your interview experience. Which office did you attend your interview, Chatsworth or Los Angeles downtown area?

Chatsworth is my DO.

My interview time was at 1:15 pm and they were running late by an hour and a half. Interview was for about 20 minutes. The IO went over my application and confirmed it was true. Then testing for civics questions. signing part and handing over the approval letter. Documents like green card, DL were asked. She made a copy and then gave me the original back.

I heard from my husband that the IO had asked him to furnish copy of the selective services letter.

hope this helps.