N400 2019-2020 Asylee Tracker

So, celebrating the last 100 days until I submit my N400. Anybody submitting theirs soon? How have you been preparing? Anyone concluded their N400 process, how was it from an Asylee perspective? Have waited 16+ years for this.

I have just about 150 days left til I submit mine. I have about 3 trips abroad before then. It’s been about 8 years since I filed for asylum. Super excited.

I have 68 days left and I haven’t even started working on everything as yet but I plan to start soon, next week maybe. I will keep you guys updated as much as I can. It’s been been almost 7 years for me.

Will check in with you at 30 days before submission. I have started putting my file together. Completing the petition online, which really helps with dates etc. Good luck to everyone!

I was thinking about that as well but I’m not sure if it really helps. I want to speak to a lawyer first so I’ll probably do that some time next month. I figured submitting the regular way is better because I can attach any document I have instead of scanning documents.

Just when it is my turn for naturalization application, fees go up (caution: link is PDF!) :(. ...just my luck. While I'm unhappy with any fees increases, the fee increases on Green card applications is the worst. I struggled to raise GC fee in the past, I can only imagine what it will do to other people. Worst of all, asking asylee applicants to pay $50 to apply doesn't make sense. Where do they get $50? I remember when I applied, since I wasn't allowed to work, I had zero dollars in my pocket...I would go for months with no money. This is just another barrier to prevent applicants to claim asylum.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Immigration around the world, no matter what country, is made easy for reach people than poor people. What a shame. My advice to everyone at any stage of the immigration process, be patient...you shall overcome. Be strong, even during the dark days when you are frustrated. Good luck.

I have just been reading this: 53.3 Adjudication. | USCIS

Interested in this section:

(b) Adjudication Issues .

(2) Alien Has A Travel Document From His/Her Country .

Similarly, if the applicant is in possession of a valid travel document from the country of nationality, the Form I-131 may also be deniable. There is no absolute prohibition against issuing a travel document to permit a refugee to travel to the country of last residence or nationality; however, travel to that country may preclude the alien from establishing eligibility for permanent residence under section 209 of the Act.

In the absence of proof to the contrary, a refugee who applies for and obtains a national passport or its renewal will be presumed to have intended to re-avail or return to the protection of the country of persecution. However, obtaining other documents, such as birth or marriage records, cannot be regarded as re-availment of protection. Some countries may issue passports without intending any protection to the recipient.

Notes on the implications of this section, directly impacting asylees looking for N-400 adjustment:

If you are issued with an RTD:

a) Means USCIS thinks that you do not have your COP passport - This is an important point to note, because for asylees, issues of passport renewal makes people lose sleep ahead of their citizenship interviews. If you renewed your COP passport ---> and then applied for an RTD and you get it ----> implies USCIS doesn't know you renewed your passport. Of course, you must tell the truth in your interview for citizenship...if you have renewed your passport, IF asked for it, answer in the positive and hand it over. This information is only useful for helping you to sleep better before your interview day for citizenship.

b) There is then the issue of 'applying for a passport' = 're-availment' to COP. If you are given a RTD after you apply and obtained your COP passport, likely USCIS doesn't know you renewed your passport. Again, this implies that your citizenship interview should move forward smoothly without 're-availment' becoming an issue. The interview officer shouldn't dig into this, ordinarily.

c) Getting an RTD means you are still admissable - if you have gone through different issues, including convictions, serious issues, as long as you get an RTD means that you are still in good shape - they won't give you the RTD if you are no longer admissible. Your green card doesn't give you that information years after you get it.

43 days until I submit my N400. Nothing to see here - just got my tax transcripts in order recently.

43 days until I submit my N400. Nothing to see here - just got my tax transcripts in order recently.
Just to keep this thread alive. I am eligible on January 2nd but will submit on the 3rd. Just working on my child support info and tax transcript right now. I’m submitting online, NYC office. What about you guys? Using lawyer? Submitting via paper or online?

Just to keep this thread alive. I am eligible on January 2nd but will submit on the 3rd. Just working on my child support info and tax transcript right now. I’m submitting online, NYC office. What about you guys? Using lawyer? Submitting via paper or online?

Submitting online, no lawyer. Early June in Boston. GC took 3 months to get, so Hope citizenship won’t take long either. Counting down the days.

Well well, it's 30 days until I submit the N400 application. The 16 years of waiting has all come to this. Few things:

1. I can't say i'm excited, I could have done this a million years ago - if it were not for the countless delays.

2. As of last month, N400 processing times in my region are between 7-10.5 months. Don't know if a new update next week will show reduced wait times or more - I bet it will show an increase in wait times. 11 months just means can't vote this year which is a shame

3. Fee increase - As USCIS has proposed fee increases, I don't know if I will meet the cut-off deadline. The current fee is $725 [ $640 (+$85 biometrics)], they want to increase it to $1255 [$1170 + $85]. A difference of $530...which is a lot. I know a thing or two where I could use this money.

Some issues I'm dealing with as I get ready to submit the application. The big one is the waiting times....I don't know how long I will wait to get to 'passport in hand' stage. Maybe I will get a reprieve and get it done in four months....:confused:

Unfortunately I’m in NYC so much processing time is like 24 months. I can officially submit today but I think I’ll wait until tomorrow. I’ve been waiting so long, another day is fine.
Thankfully the increase won’t affect me.

Unfortunately I’m in NYC so much processing time is like 24 months. I can officially submit today but I think I’ll wait until tomorrow. I’ve been waiting so long, another day is fine.
Good luck. I'm submitting online. Doing final reviews before submission.

The increase won’t come into effect until September 2020

Submitted my application, awaiting notice in the mail and biometrics notice. It’s looking like 10 months for me since it said November 2020 online. I’m hoping after the biometrics the time will be reduced but this is nyc, guess we will see.

Submitted my application, awaiting notice in the mail and biometrics notice. It’s looking like 10 months for me since it said November 2020 online. I’m hoping after the biometrics the time will be reduced but this is nyc, guess we will see.
Good luck. Keep us updated on your N400 adventures. I submit mine in 22 days.

So my biometrics was scheduled for Norfolk Va, I guess because that’s where I get mail. My field office however, is still NYC. I walked in today and got my biometrics done in less than 3 minutes. Now it’s time to wait.

So my biometrics was scheduled for Norfolk Va, I guess because that’s where I get mail. My field office however, is still NYC. I walked in today and got my biometrics done in less than 3 minutes. Now it’s time to wait.
Good luck! Hope you get your interview date confirmed soon.